Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. - Celebrities (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. (27140 Views)

Chioma Akpotha Shades Uche Jombo, Emem Isong, Omoni Oboli / Uche Jombo And Her Brother, Nelson Jombo, Who Is A Producer Pictured Together / Who Among This Actors Do You Think He Acts The Role Of Notorious Guy Best?(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by SisiKill1: 10:04pm On Feb 24, 2011
Hausa Movies are quite popular. . . thank you very much! cool
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by x2lambo(m): 10:13pm On Feb 24, 2011
this is funny , cos i have seen alot of nollywood actor in yoruba movie , name them jim iyke samloko kelvin ikeduba i guess this people cant speak english too ,
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by londoner: 10:20pm On Feb 24, 2011
gohome:

sure man. i still wonder how that is so hard for people to understand, tribalism is worse than corruption i still say it, it blinds us

Human beings get a pay off from Tribalism. The false fantasy that they are far superior to their fellow man because they have slight variations from them.

Thats how all the "isms" survive.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by rhymz(m): 10:25pm On Feb 24, 2011
londoner:

@Gohome, you can comment on my comment if you like. That has been what I have experienced as someone who has been around Nigerians of various tribes (not Hausa as much though).

The inclusive face of Nollywood is testament to what I am saying. Thats neither here or there though. I personally prefer a Nollywood that I can see people from Calabar/Yoruba/Igbo/Edo etc rather than Nigerian films in which I only see Yoruba, Hausa or Igbo actors and actresses in any one film, wouldn't you?

. . Seriously, you are one of the very few ladies that I admire and respect their very candid and unbias views on topics. This was exactly my point in my post before that little Bimbo attempted to trivialize my point by insulting herself. Of what benefit is making movies along tribal lines only for thesame people to come back and start screaming segregation and $hiit. Any actor that sees herself as a Yoruba,Igbo or Hausa actor should not complain when demeaning treatments occassioned by such needless cliques and categorizations are meted out to them. It is ok if some producer, directors and marketers decide to make movies in their mother tongue but it should not exist as a parallel industry to the bigger "Nollywood Industry". It is just plane dumb and self-defeating, period.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:55pm On Feb 24, 2011
I'm sorry, but i must tell the truth, the Yoruba language movie genre seems very closed off to those who are not of Yoruba extraction or those who dont speak Yoruba, it seems quite cliquish IMO."Nollywood" has made it a NON ISSUE for an actor or actress to either be Igbo or speak Igbo in order to be successful.

Many talents from outside the "big three" have made their impact in Nollywood.

Delusion of grandeur

Ticks me off when people who dont know what they are talking about think they can run their mouths and call it the truth

You've obviously never watched a Yoruba movie if you truly believe only Yorubas star in them.

Rachel Oniga isnt Yoruba, neither is Zack Orji, Tony Umeh, Lillian Bach, Caro Ekeme and the many non-Yorubas who have starred in their movies.

Nollywood indeed.

Bollywood still tops them off and guess what? they dont speak English in their movies.

Slumdog Millionaire that was a big hit at the Oscars , was 70% Hindi.

Just because you people have such low self esteem and try to be like Hollywood doesnt mean everyone should follow suite.

again explain to me why Jenifa despite being a Yoruba movie was widley known and loved by non-Nigerians? After all "they dont speak Yoruba"

Like the Ghanaian you people have now retorted to making cheap imitation of mediocre American movies, to make matters worse, you dont even use indigenous names anymore, that's how much self hatred your 'wood" has. throwing in mediocre lesbian and gay scenes just to get attention.

Better talk to your Uche before they turn her into a chicken  grin
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by bgees(m): 11:03pm On Feb 24, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Like the Ghanaian you people have now retorted to making cheap imitation of mediocre American movies, to make matters worse, you dont even use indigenous names anymore, that's how much self hatred your 'wood" has. throwing in mediocre lesbian and gay scenes just to get attention.

Very true.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:25pm On Feb 24, 2011
bgees, I watched the youtube of your siggy for the 5th time yesterday and laughed half to death. Til today that skit cracks me up grin

The dopest song I ever wrote, in 94 cheesy
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by gohome: 11:45pm On Feb 24, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Delusion of grandeur

Ticks me off when people who dont know what they are talking about think they can run their mouths and call it the truth

You've obviously never watched a Yoruba movie if you truly believe only Yorubas star in them.

Rachel Oniga isnt Yoruba, neither is Zack Orji, Tony Umeh, Lillian Bach, Caro Ekeme and the many non-Yorubas who have starred in their movies.

Nollywood indeed.

Bollywood still tops them off and guess what? they dont speak English in their movies.

Just because you people have such low self esteem and try to be like Hollywood doesnt mean everyone should follow suite.

again explain to me why Jenifa despite being a Yoruba movie was widley known and loved by non-Nigerians? After all "they dont speak Yoruba"

y all these long talk, kindly address the issue, Yoruba language movie genre seems very closed off to those who are not of Yoruba extraction or those who dont speak Yoruba
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by gohome: 11:55pm On Feb 24, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Delusion of grandeur

Nollywood indeed.

Comparison of a child, Do you know how many people speak HINDI, 1.2 billion. thats why it has been that successful, so dont you ever in your life use that line of argument

70% Hindi? lol, do you have to result to this big lie, Another example of what tribalism can do, please reference it, or perhaps you have not watched the movie someone just told you about it.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by ourwale: 12:00am On Feb 25, 2011
we have to outgrow these idumota superiority complex! Respect should be reciprocal. However Uche need'nt pass this comment, its unnecessary. I thought her aura was stronger,
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by bgees(m): 12:03am On Feb 25, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

bgees, I watched the youtube of your siggy for the 5th time yesterday and laughed half to death. Til today that skit cracks me up grin

The dopest song I ever wrote, in 94 cheesy

yes I watch the video every now and then too. Dave Chapelle is very funny.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by rhymz(m): 12:23am On Feb 25, 2011
gohome:

Comparison of a child, Do you know how many people speak HINDI, 1.2 billion. thats why it has been that successful, so dont you ever in your life use that line of argument

70% Hindi? lol, do you have to result to this big lie, Another example of what tribalism can do, please reference it, or perhaps you have not watched the movie someone just told you about it.
lol, I was going to ask her which edition of Slum Dog Million she saw cos the one I saw has more english in it that Hindu. And her arguement are greatly flawed, in the sense that India is not culturally heterogenuos like Nigeria where people speak more than 100 languages. So I guess everybody should make movies in their mother tongues. That some non Yorubas occassionally act in yoruba movies does not prove anything, it does not mean it is ok, from a business point of view, it is folly as it will limit patronage. Besides that Jenifa girl did not start out with yoruba speaking movies, she started out with that unicef sponsored television programm "I need to Know". She probably stuck with yoruba speaking movies because she could easily get roles in that genre and unlike most of the women in that genrem she speaks way better english.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by gohome: 12:32am On Feb 25, 2011
rhymz:

lol, I was going to ask her which edition of Slum Dog Million she saw cos the one I saw has more english in it that Hindu. And her arguement are greatly flawed, in the sense that India is not culturally heterogenuos like Nigeria where people speak more than 100 languages. So I guess everybody should make movies in their mother tongues. That some non Yorubas occassionally act in yoruba movies does not prove anything, it does not mean it is ok, from a business point of view, it is folly as it will limit patronage. Besides that Jenifa girl did not start out with yoruba speaking movies, she started out with that unicef sponsored television programm "I need to Know". She probably stuck with yoruba speaking movies because she could easily get roles in that genre and unlike most of the women in that genrem she speaks way better english.

perhaps she/he watched the Hindi version subtitled in English. When I was told Yorubas are very tribalistic I tot it was a fallacy, but man its true ohhh, they just cant believe their eyes only them watch their movies, not being exposed is a bad thing
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Arysexy(m): 12:42am On Feb 25, 2011
Anything omo Yoruba puts hand, na scatter scatter. na so jide kosoko, dat big belle fool wey igbo producers helped out of poverty dey open mouth for interview dey yarn rubbish about nollywood igbo producers. i dont blame Yoruba Yoruba. na so so jealousy dey worry dem yeye people.

We all know living in bondage was Nigeria's first commercially produced film that was famous in all parts of nigeria, but some tribal bigots here are trying to let us know, Yoruba films have been in existence. i dont blame those im.beciles bc they never crossed their states. if that be the case, then ichoku and co have been in existence since independence period.

yoriba will always want to claim pioneer of every thing good even when the evidence are so glaring. Very TRIBALISTIC set of anumanus!
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:16am On Feb 25, 2011
gohome:

yea you told me about it. remember?

Biuitul is also nominated for an Oscar. Movie entirely in Spanish. same with Live Of Othersthat won 2 years ago. German movie

Please show me the Oscar that English has gotten you?

You are busy making Jenifa did this and that. Point is itr was a successful movie for Funke and spoken in Yoruba.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by SisiKill1: 2:49am On Feb 25, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Like the Ghanaian you people have now retorted to making cheap imitation of mediocre American movies, to make matters worse, you don't even use indigenous names anymore, that's how much self hatred your 'wood" has. throwing in mediocre lesbian and gay scenes just to get attention.

Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:56am On Feb 25, 2011
Hello hon wink
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by igboboy1(m): 3:30am On Feb 25, 2011
Arysexy:

Anything omo Yoruba puts hand, na scatter scatter. na so jide kosoko, dat big belle fool wey igbo producers helped out of poverty dey open mouth for interview dey yarn rubbish about nollywood igbo producers. i dont blame Yoruba Yoruba. na so so jealousy dey worry dem yeye people.

We all know living in bondage was Nigeria's first commercially produced film that was famous in all parts of nigeria, but some tribal bigots here are trying to let us know, Yoruba films have been in existence. i dont blame those im.beciles bc they never crossed their states. if that be the case, then ichoku and co have been in existence since independence period.

yoriba will always want to claim pioneer of every thing good even when the evidence are so glaring. Very TRIBALISTIC set of anumanus!

Anumana, chai Nna o te go e nuru that word cheesy
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by igboboy1(m): 3:34am On Feb 25, 2011
gohome:

Gbam, spot on, yourubas and their analogies dey baffle me at times. 8 million people + another 4 million non yorubas who speak the language is not a huge market o
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by SisiKill1: 5:09am On Feb 25, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Hello hon wink

Where have you been?!!!!

You've been seriously missed oh!!!
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by ragdollz: 7:50am On Feb 25, 2011
Let's not start any unfair comparisons btwn Yoruba and Nollywood movies. Yoruba's are a tribe rich in culture and tradition. Mayhap, they could find no niche in Nollywood, and so decided to create an industry where Yoruba-speaking film lovers can enjoy films made in their language. And you don't have to be "yoruba" to be in their movies. Many cross-over actors ranging from Ibo to South-east act quite comfortable in these movies with a passable command of Yoruba language.

People like Funke Akindele found no avenue to grow in mafia-like Nollywood, so she went to her Yoruba roots and has made a name for herself in the Yoruba genre. She is well-respected as an actor and ambassador and has graced a lot of "red carpets" (@ gohome).

Finally, any Nigerian still slamming Nigerian movies, whether English-speaking (Nollywood) or the Yoruba, Ibo etc movies as CRAP, should feel SHAME. If you can't be proud of what the industry has so far achieved, then where is the incentive for them to improve?
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 25, 2011
gohome:

perhaps she/he watched the Hindi version subtitled in English. When I was told Yorubas are very tribalistic I tot it was a fallacy, but man its true ohhh, they just cant believe their eyes only them watch their movies, not being exposed is a bad thing

There is a contextual truth to this assertion. Illiterates and Semi-literate folks across all the major ethnic groups in Nigeria are just as 'tribalistic' as the others (although Igbos and Hausas on this level tend to be more 'accommodating' on a social level than Yorubas, for real). But the real shock is that amongst the educated, professional and supposedly enlightened folks across all ethnic groups, Yorubas are wayyyyyy more tribalistic, and this is very unfortunate. You'd see them prattling on in their language to the exclusion of a friend or colleague who isn't Yoruba. And when you protest against such alienating behaviour they'll condemn you for making no effort to learn their language! What is the essence of all your education and 'enlightenment' if you can't communicate fluently in a common language (English or Pidgin) for all and sundry to understand? You see such annoying behaviour everywhere - in federal ministries and parastatals (even in Abuja), universities (you'd see their so called professors prattling away in Yoruba language to the exclusion of other non-yoruba lecturers), banks, high level corporations, on and on. And yet they'll be ever eager to make a show of how 'educated' they are. If so, why behave so clannish and alienate others who don't understand the language? I have experienced this on wayyyy too many occasions.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 8:58am On Feb 25, 2011
pro01:

There is a contextual truth to this assertion. Illiterates and Semi-literate folks across all the major ethnic groups in Nigeria are just as 'tribalistic' as the others (although Igbos and Hausas on this level tend to be more 'accommodating' on a social level than Yorubas, for real).

No wonder Jos and Kano are better places for Ibos to do their business than Lagos and Ibadan.

Thanks for the analysis. Very insightful, yet very detribalized post.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by gohome: 9:35am On Feb 25, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

yea you told me about it. remember?

Biuitul is also nominated for an Oscar. Movie entirely in Spanish. same with Live Of Othersthat won 2 years ago. German movie

Please show me the Oscar that English has gotten you?

You are busy making Jenifa did this and that. Point is itr was a successful movie for Funke and spoken in Yoruba.

You are still making the same mistake, do you know how many people speak spanish and german? these languages are even taught in our schools oooh, na wah ohh. This comparison is getting to be plain stupid. Countries are making movies in their official language and are being nominated, why dont yorubas make your in your official language, has it occurred to you maybe they cant? or are not good enough?
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Ayowumie(m): 10:44am On Feb 25, 2011
Since Uche Jombo is emphatic on the division in Nollywood, then i can only English speaking actors suck.
Why should u think that somebody is thinking that you should great him first if you yourself are not ego centric. My conclusion: Uche is feeling to funky thereby xpecting pipu to accord her respect

Arysexy:

First, you are a tribalist who only discuss sentimentally and who for incongruity does not know fact from fiction.
Jide Kosoko started his roles in theater as far back as early 1970s infact he was an appretice of Ogunde in the 60s. He has been in the industry for decades, longer than Pete Edochie. So, how did Igbo producers bring him into limelight? I would only believe and accord you respect if you would convince me by telling me the movie through which they brought him in to fame and the year the movie was produced.

Then, about the existence of Yoruba movie. You are the first person that has ever argued the "truthfulness of logic". Tribalism apart, Yorubas were the first to shoot movies (i stand to be corrected). They are the pioneers as far as the movie industry in West Africa is concerned. University of Ibadan was the first to have a theater art faculty, so this helped them (but it was not an absolute factor) in being the first people to set the pace in the movie industry. I wonder how come you did not know this and yet you were talking as though you were an expert. Please, learn
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by rhymz(m): 10:57am On Feb 25, 2011
pro01:

There is a contextual truth to this assertion. Illiterates and Semi-literate folks across all the major ethnic groups in Nigeria are just as 'tribalistic' as the others (although Igbos and Hausas on this level tend to be more 'accommodating' on a social level than Yorubas, for real). But the real shock is that amongst the educated, professional and supposedly enlightened folks across all ethnic groups, Yorubas are wayyyyyy more tribalistic, and this is very unfortunate. You'd see them prattling on in their language to the exclusion of a friend or colleague who isn't Yoruba. And when you protest against such alienating behaviour they'll condemn you for making no effort to learn their language! What is the essence of all your education and 'enlightenment' if you can't communicate fluently in a common language (English or Pidgin) for all and sundry to understand? You see such annoying behaviour everywhere - in federal ministries and parastatals (even in Abuja), universities (you'd see their so called professors prattling away in Yoruba language to the exclusion of other non-yoruba lecturers), banks, high level corporations, on and on. And yet they'll be ever eager to make a show of how 'educated' they are. If so, why behave so clannish and alienate others who don't understand the language? I have experienced this on wayyyy too many occasions.
may be it has to do with the fact that out of the "big three" the Yorubas(no insult intended) are the list integrated ethnicity across the Nigerian states. That is why sometimes I tend to be patient with some of them that are a innocently Naive not to understand that Lagos and other southwestern states are not all there is to Nigeria. That is why a lot of them think it is ok to have a yoruba speaking industry existing along side the bigger and all inclusive "Nollywood". Somebody tried to suggest a possible deliberate effort by some elements to alienate yoruba actors, that's a big lie. Whatever limitation they face is not different from what others face-be you Yoruba,Igbo,Hausa,Calabar,ijaw etc-na dsame thing. You will need better skills than ability to speak your mother tongue to make it in a competitive industry. Even in hollywood, black people complain of not getting befitting roles in an industry dominated by whites, what do you expect? Na person wey dey control d purse na im go determine who im want, after all Olu Jacobs is thumping Peter Edochie on the head in roles that he, Pete will do flawlessly well, yet the people that control the movie budget will rather choose Olu Jacobs perhaps for business considerations and that is how it works in business. Nobody gives a hoot about you if you wont appeal to their interests, all these false claims have tribal jingoism and bigotry written all over it.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by rhymz(m): 12:03pm On Feb 25, 2011
Cinema of Nigeria
The cinema of Nigeria grew quickly in the
1990s and 2000s to become the second
largest film industry in the world in terms
of number of annual film productions,
placing it ahead of the United States and
behind the Indian film industry.[1]
According to Hala Gorani and Jeff
Koinange formerly of CNN, Nigeria has a
US$250 million movie industry, churning
out some 200 videos for the home video
market every month.[2][3]
Nigerian cinema is Africa's largest movie
industry in terms of both value and the
number of movies produced per year.
Although Nigerian films have been
produced since the 1960s, the rise of
affordable digital filming and editing
technologies has stimulated the
country's video film industry. The
Nigerian video feature film industry is
sometimes colloquially known as
Nollywood, having been derived as a play
on Hollywood in the same manner as
Bollywood.[4]
History
The first Nigerian films were made by
filmmakers such as Ola Balogun and
Hubert Ogunde in the 1960s, but they
were frustrated by the high cost of film
production.[5] However, television
broadcasting in Nigeria began in the
1960s and received much government
support in its early years. By the
mid-1980s every state had its own
broadcasting station. Law limited foreign
television content so producers in Lagos
began televising local popular theater
productions. Many of these were
circulated on video as well, and a small
scale informal video movie trade
developed.
The release of the box-office movie
Living in Bondage in 1992 by NEK Video
Links owned by Kenneth Nnebue in the
eastern city of Onitsha set the stage for
Nollywood as it is known today. The story
goes that Kenneth Nnebue had an excess
number of imported video cassettes
which he then used to shoot the first film.
[6] The huge success of this film set the
pace for others to produce other films or
home videos. Through the business
instincts and ethnic links of the Igbo and
their dominance of distribution in major
cities across Nigeria, home videos began
to reach people across the country.
Nollywood exploded into a booming
industry that pushed foreign media off
the shelves, an industry now marketed all
over Africa and the rest of the world.[7]
The use of English rather than local
languages served to expand the market
and aggressive marketing using posters,
trailers, and television advertising also
played a role in Nollywood's success.
Since then, thousands of movies have
been released. One of the first Nigerian
movies to reach international renown
was the 2003 release Osuofia in London,
starring Nkem Owoh, the famous
Nigerian comedic actor. Modern Nigerian
cinema ’s most prolific auteur is Chico
Ejiro, who directed over 80 films in an 8-
year period and brags that he can
complete production on a movie in as
little as three days.[8] Ejiro’s brother Zeb
is the best-known director of these
videos outside of the country.
The first Nollywood films were produced
with traditional analog video, such as
Betacam SP, but today all Nollywood
movies are produced using digital video
technology. A March 2006 article in The
Guardian cited Nigeria's film industry as
the third largest in the world in terms of
earnings and estimated the industry to
bring in US$200 million per year.[9] In
2009, Unesco described Nollywood as
being the second-biggest film industry in
the world after Bollywood in terms of
output and called for greater support for
the industry, which is the second-largest
employer in Nigeria.[10]
Production
Most movies are not produced in studios.
Video movies are shot on location all over
Nigeria with hotels, homes, and offices
often rented out by their owners and
appearing in credits in the movies. The
most popular locations are shot in the
cities of Lagos, Enugu, and Abuja.
However, distinct regional variations
appear between the northern movies
made primarily in the Hausa language,
the western Yoruba movies, the Edo
language movies shot in Benin City, and
the Igbo movies shot in the southeast.
Many of the big producers have offices in
Surulere, Lagos.
Nigerian directors adopt new
technologies as soon as they become
affordable. Bulky videotape cameras
gave way to their digital descendents,
which are now being replaced by HD
cameras. Editing, music, and other post-
production work are done with common
computer-based systems.
Distribution
The primary distribution centers are
Idumota Market on Lagos Island, and 51
Iweka Road in Onitsha in Anambra State.
Currently, Nigerian films outsell
Hollywood films in Nigeria and many
other African countries. Some 300
producers turn out movies at an
astonishing rate —somewhere between
1,000 and 2,000 a year. The films go
straight to DVD and VCD discs. Thirty new
titles are delivered to Nigerian shops and
market stalls every week, where an
average film sells 50,000 copies. A hit
may sell several hundred thousand. Discs
sell for two dollars each, making them
affordable for most Nigerians and
providing astounding returns for the
producers.
Most of the films are produced by
independent companies and
businessmen. However, the big money
for films in Nigeria is made in the direct-
to-video market. The average film costs
between US$17,000 and US$23,000, is
shot on video in just a week—selling up to
150,000–200,000 units nationwide in
one day. With this type of return, more
and more are getting into the film
business there. By most reports,
Nollywood is a $500-million industry. And
it keeps growing. According to Frank
Ikegwuonu, author of Who's Who in
Nollywood,[11] about "1,200 films are
produced in Nigeria annually." And more
and more filmmakers are heading to
Nigeria because of "competitive
distribution system and a cheap
workforce." Further, Nigerian films seem
to be better received by the market when
compared to foreign films because "those
films are more family oriented than the
American films.
Nigerian movies are available in even the
most remote areas of the continent. The
last few years have seen the growing
popularity Nigerian films among the
people of African diaspora in both Europe,
North America and the Caribbean.
Nigerian films are currently receiving
wider distribution as Nigerian producers
and directors are attending more
internationally acclaimed film festivals. In
the USA, viewers can watch Nollywood
and other West African movies on
Afrotainment.
Themes
Many Nollywood movies have themes
that deal with the moral dilemmas facing
modern Africans. Some movies promote
the Christian or Islamic faiths, and some
movies are overtly evangelical. Others,
however, address questions of religious
diversity, such as the popular film One
God One Nation, about a Muslim man and
a Christian woman who want to marry
but go through many obstacles.
Portrayal in the Western media
The 2007 documentary Welcome to
Nollywood by director Jamie Meltzer
gives an overview of the industry. It
pays particular attention to directors
Izu Ojukwu and Chico Ejiro, and
acknowledges the unusual, rapid, and
enterprising way that most Nollywood
films are created as well as their
significance and contribution to the
greater society and the production
difficulties Ojukwu faced during
production of his war epic Laviva.[12]
Franco Sacchi's 2007 documentary
This Is Nollywood follows the
production of Check Point, directed by
Bond Emeruwa. It features interviews
with Nigerian filmmakers and actors as
they discuss their industry, defend the
types of films they make and detail the
kind of impact they can have.[13] In
2007, Franco Sacchi presented the film
on Nollywood at the TED conference.
[14]
The 2007 Danish documentary Good
Copy Bad Copy features a substantial
section on Nigerian cinema. It focuses
on the direct-to-DVD distribution of
most Nigerian movies, as well as the
industry's reliance on off-the-shelf
video editing equipment as opposed to
the more costly traditional film process.
[15]
A 2008 Canadian documentary
Nollywood Babylon was co-directed by
Ben Addelman and Samir Mallal, and
produced by AM Pictures and the
National Film Board of Canada in
association with the Documentary
Channel. It played in the Official
Competition at the Sundance Film
Festival in January 2009.[16]
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 12:06pm On Feb 25, 2011
gohome:

You are still making the same mistake,  do you know how many people speak spanish and german? these languages are even taught in our schools oooh,  na wah ohh. This comparison is getting to be plain silly. Countries are making movies in their official language and are being nominated, why dont yorubas make your in your official language, has it occurred to you maybe they cant? or are not good enough?

you are ignorant.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:35pm On Feb 25, 2011
ragdollz, while I completely agree with your post, Yoruba movie industry was not created as a retaliation to the English industry, especially since the former came into existance before the latter

*Cougar*:

you are ignorant.

Not only that he's completely re-tarded

I cant even be bothered to argue with him.  Look at the idiotic comebacks. None of which makes sense to anything Ive said

First they claim that only Yorubas are allowed in Yoruba movies, I debunked that garbage, since they couldnt refute that they are now whining about how speaking English in the only way to success. Whitewashed nitwits.

I am still waiting for someone to list an English speaking movie that has even been nominated for anything outside of Naija, since you know English is so special. Even in your local award shows, no be Jenifa that won? why didnt "Corporate Maid" win. LOL

The funny thing is most of these creatures foaming at the mouth dont even WATCH these movies which is evident in their daft comments, just here to make noise, at least those of us who actually buy and watch these movies can have a genuine discussion on what the problem is.

abeg just tell your sister Uche to apologize before Fadeyi turns her to foods for the gods. Make you no say I didnt warn you. cheesy
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

I cant even be bothered to argue with him.  Look at the idiotic comebacks. None of which makes sense to anything Ive said

First they claim that only Yorubas are allowed in Yoruba movies, I debunked that garbage, since they couldnt refute that they are now whining about how speaking English in the only way to success. Whitewashed nitwits.

I am still waiting for someone to list an English speaking movie that has even been nominated for anything outside of Naija, since you know English is so special. Even in your local award shows, no be Jenifa that won? why didnt "Corporate Maid" win. LOL

The funny thing is most of these creatures foaming at the mouth dont even WATCH these movies which is evident in their daft comments, just here to make noise, at least those of us who actually buy and watch these movies can have a genuine discussion on what the problem is.

abeg just tell your sister Uche to apologize before Fadeyi turns her to foods for the gods. Make you no say I didnt warn you. cheesy

uche jumbo is a re-tard . pure plain and simple. who is she by the way? apart from the fact that she appears fake with her dolphin teeth, who reckons with her?
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by gohome: 2:14pm On Feb 25, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

ragdollz, while I completely agree with your post, Yoruba movie industry was not created as a retaliation to the English industry, especially since the former came into existance before the latter

there we go again TRIBALISM, First of all remove that rotten cap called tribalism then you will see things clearly, nobody is fighting with you, so dont insult. I am ignorant?, proof please, just counteract my statement read outline and disproof logically. I believe we argue to learn not to waste our time, TRIBALISM will not make you a better person it will make you ignorant and retarted, just be open minded for once.

Someone said Yoruba movies seems closed off to those that speaks and understand yoruba only, u did a very good job at misunderstanding that. we did comprehension in english language from nursery school right through still uni and yet you couldn't understand that, wahala dey. I believe you are a better person but TRIBALISM as completely blinded you. I am tired of going round and round and round.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by okooyinbo(m): 3:31pm On Feb 25, 2011
gohome
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us.
« #275 on: Yesterday at 10:12:56 AM »

Quote from: okooyinbo on Yesterday at 03:19:04 AM
@gohome and Sannmy

How do I start? Well, I will begin like this. Your childish arguements are a show of disgrace. In what ways are the Yoruba more tribalistic than the rest of Nigerians?

It is very idiotic to say the Yoruba actors should be acting in English. It is really very disrespectful. If you dont watch them, no one begs you to. Or has anyone of them complained to you?

And mr. enlightened Sannmy, I am afraid I have to disappoint you. You are not an inch enlightened. Not at all! Those arguements you put forward betray many things about you but enlightenment is not among them.

You just proved my point, its a known fact yorubas are much more tribal, well at least others see them that way, its like saying ibos like money more than other tribes or fulani love revenge or calabar love sex, or americans are proud, or germans are strict, its generalization i know buh its true, You said its very idiotic to say yoruba actors should act in english, i laugh like they dont, my friend they do man, i have watched the only one i know, that jennifer girl, dont know her real name, the problem is the english, i personally cant stand Hair for Air, I belive exposure is your problem, i guess you stay in lagos or one those yoruba town ado or ore or ogbomosho so you dont have an idea what other think of yorubas, NYSC is a complete waste of money, It was supose to expose us to other ways of life but it has failed shame.

ok lemme agree to your idea, Omotola acts a Yoruba movie she becomes more famous, lol, if i was a social studies teacher, its will be a classic example of how tribalism blinds our thinking, Nollywood made omotola work on read carpets, gave her model roles, made her UN ambassador, do yo think jenifer, i am guessing that yoruwood favorite can attain all these with yoruba movies, i laugh.

another one idea, Nollywood is becomin jealouus of yoruwood i laugh , 1 billion people know me, 5 million knows you, who do you think will become jealous me or you?

Its a shame, I can clearly see why tribalism is worst than corruption, I can clearly see,

so brother, the next time read by comments and criticize objectively, i am not Igbo, from my post you should have seen that, neither am i yoruba. I am still waiting Mr enlightenned for 9jas sharing formula

GOHOME! You really better gohome to learn respect and being proud of one's background. All the craps you have churned out makes me "guess" you are a young chap. I'd advice you to get your self exposed not just literally but also cognitively. If IGBO believe they are better at acting in english, what concerns me to critizise them as a Yoruba MAN? I really dont bother. The kind of English spoken by some of these half wits Nollywood Stars are just deplorable anyway. It is only mediocre that would really revel in such bush English. I have seen rubbish nigerian english movies and have also watched Yoruba films that wanna makes me vormit. Likewise, I have seen good english nigerian movies as well as substantial number of really good Yoruba movies. So you see, filming in English is not a prerogative of good acting.

Aburo, I suspect your youthful exuberance is beclouding your sense of reasoning. In those few line I wrote, where did I mention that you are IGBO, HAUSA, YORUBA, IGALA or whatever? Who cares where you are from? I just pointed out how simplistic your arguements are and you think you are justified Yorubas are TRIBALISTIC by that? If that is your believe, I am sorry Nigeria is in trouble if more of your sort are borned. People that would rather throw away their cultures and languages because they do not want to be termed TRIBALISTIC are a danger to the progress of NIGERIA. They are actually more dangerous than the "vocal tribalist".

You can see that there is a glaring difference between me and you: I have age, experience, and enlightenment on my side. And also, I am rather proud of who I am and where I am from. Now, that does not give me the right to talk others down. I am proud in spending my money to promote my culture and language. Yoruba film are authentic Nigerian nay AFRICAN thing. The english language might be official, but it is definitely not my language. No nation that abandons her cultures, language has really progressed, except if you wanna redefine progressiveness. We should learn to appreciate our languages and cultures, because that is the beginning of enlightenment.

I maintain, let Yoruba make their movies in Yoruba and let the other do as they please. Atleast nobody have forced you to buy the Yoruba movies, why the complain? Let the billions stick to their market and the 5 million to their. What is so difficult comprehending about that? Why is it you the 1 billion complaining about the 5 millions? It should be the 5 million mouthing the 1 billion about marginalization if your logic were right. Alas, your logic is not only faulty, the premise on which it stands is also cracky.

Lastly, you can continue to wallow in your dumb game of ASSUMPTION that Yorubas are TRIBALISTIC, that I live in OGBOMOSHO, EDE, IGBO-ORA, EHIN-IGBETI, KABBA, FIDITI etc. That alone has exposes your folly. Young man, englighten yourself and be proud of what you are. Being proud of one's heritage does not equate to ETHNICISM which is the plain RIGHT word to use to describe the subject at hand in your beloved english DIALECT.

Have a nice day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Mercy Johnson, Kanayo O. Kanayo, Bimbo Akintola And Others On A Movie Set / Kunle Afod And Wife Welcome Their Fourth Son (Photo) / Navy Frees Comedian Cute Abiola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.