Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. (27141 Views)

Chioma Akpotha Shades Uche Jombo, Emem Isong, Omoni Oboli / Uche Jombo And Her Brother, Nelson Jombo, Who Is A Producer Pictured Together / Who Among This Actors Do You Think He Acts The Role Of Notorious Guy Best?(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 23, 2011
*Cougar*:

i think i know where the problem lies.

the majority of these nollywood movies are produced/directed by the igbos. zeb ejiro/chico ejiro/lancelot imasuen and it's only natural for these men to give the roles to igbo youths. nollywood in itself is too igbocentric. that they speak english doesn't really make it a national cake. let us just assume all english speaking nollywood movies are igbo movies.

this is a valid point. the folks in nigeria don't care about these movies like the nigerians in diaspora. the chinese are making loads of money pirating nigerian movies in america.

QED

the fact that noolywood is ibocentric has not stopped the yoruba from excelling alongside their partners in nollywood but my anger is trying to feel dominating

over those that were pushed aside by nollywood.Funke Akindele acted ''jenifa'' but that does not mean she has no standard simply because the movie was

not acted in english language.the yoruba chose to be indigenious in their movie and they should respected for that.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Laura202: 4:24pm On Feb 23, 2011
Hmm!! Na wao! It really suprises me how much energy we exert condemning ourselves (Nigerians). I am ibo married to a half yoruba,half Liberian man and i live in Monrovia. Yes,Monrovia,Liberia.

You need to see how much respect we command here,not as ibo,yoruba,hausa,or edo, but as NIGERIANS. These same movies we condem are loved by foreigners and these Nollywood actors we love to hate are almost worshiped outside Nigeria. A few weeks back, people payed $50 (NOT VIP) just to see Chidi Mokeme in a club here.

Their girls would rather date or even marry a Nigerian rather than their fellow Liberia.That is not to say that they are bad people.

Personanlly, i think our problems will end the day we learn to appreciate each other,not because of tribe or ethnicity but as individuals,
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 4:25pm On Feb 23, 2011
pro01:

Most actresses in the Yoruba movie genre are so 'razz', fetish, and classless in real life - even worse than they are in movies. They can't even speak English to save their lives.

Meanwhile this whole argument here about who started or who 'owns' the industry between Igbo and Yoruba is really infantile. Anyone that is old enough, and whose brain is uncorrupted by the virus of ethnic bigotry, knows that contemporary Nollywood as we know it was ushered in by the classic Igbo movie called 'Living in Bondage' in 1992, and the industry has largely remained funded, marketed, distributed and ultimately powered by Igbo elements. What is there to argue about?

you will find out that asiri-nla(great secret) by jide kosoko came out before 'living in bondage'.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by 9javoice1(m): 4:28pm On Feb 23, 2011
Yoruba movie's promote only Yoruba culture
Hausa movie's promote only Hausa culture
Nollywood English(igbo) movies promotes Nigeria as a nation

Now tell me who among the three are more patriotic
somebody here even suggest that igbo movies has no place in African magic TV channel
my answer to that is, we have no need for that because it will be a way of giving us
double opportunity which many people will still complain about.

nollywood (igbo)English version has gone far than we can't stop it any more.
insult igbo's or not the flag is flying already. the only culture the Caribbeans knows today as Nigeria culture is those they see in Nigeria igbo epic movies. so lets love one another and embrace peace. Yoruba's are my brother's and friends so are other Nigeria tribes. thank you all.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 4:29pm On Feb 23, 2011
pro01:

Most actresses in the Yoruba movie genre are so 'razz', fetish, and classless in real life - even worse than they are in movies. They can't even speak English to save their lives.

Meanwhile this whole argument here about who started or who 'owns' the industry between Igbo and Yoruba is really infantile. Anyone that is old enough, and whose brain is uncorrupted by the virus of ethnic bigotry, knows that contemporary Nollywood as we know it was ushered in by the classic Igbo movie called 'Living in Bondage' in 1992, and the industry has largely remained funded, marketed, distributed and ultimately powered by Igbo elements. What is there to argue about?

Before Nollywood came into existence in the 1990's was there anything that preceeded it?

Of course there was. Nigeria is a very rich cultural entity, which has for decades produced very beautiful and even world acclaimed theatre productions, which is where this movie industry takes root.

Herbert Ogunde and Ola Balogun amongst of few others all made movies that were shown in the few theatres that existed during the 1970's and 1980's. These films include "Jaiyesimi", "Aiye" and "Taxi-Driver", these were all done in Yoruba (the language of the South Western States),

the movies done in English prior to Igbo-wood include "Bisi Daughter of The River" and Prof. Wole Soyinka's "Blues For A Prodigal" amongst a few others.

The problem of funding, expensive equipment and piracy amongst others made sure that these early efforts did not take root and develop into the great industry as we see it today.

Just accept the truth and shame the devil

Once again, Yoruba thumps Igbo

This is not a beef talk, if it was, it would be something market women would be discussing. This is just another attempt by me to set the record straight.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 23, 2011
The only way the Igbocentic-ness of Nollywood would change is if we have more Yoruba producers. Until then, nothing will change. Nobody should be complaining.
Cuz if I'm a Nollywood producers, Ekiti actors/actresses would get most of the roles  grin grin
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Feb 23, 2011
9ja voice:

Yoruba movie's promote only Yoruba culture
Hausa movie's promote only Hausa culture
Nollywood English(igbo) movies promotes Nigeria as a nation

Now tell me who among the three are more patriotic
somebody here even suggest that igbo movies has no place in African magic TV channel
my answer to that is, we have no need for that because it will be a way of giving us
double opportunity which many people will still complain about.

nollywood (igbo)English version has gone far than we can't stop it any more.
insult igbo's or not the flag is flying already. the only culture the Caribbeans knows today as Nigeria culture is those they see in Nigeria igbo epic movies. so lets love one another and embrace peace. Yoruba's are my brother's and friends so are other Nigeria tribes. thank you all.

They are nationalistic yet peter edochie is bytching about olu jacobs taking ibo roles in movies ? you go school at all ? angry
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 4:35pm On Feb 23, 2011
^^^^

The best producers are Yoruba

Ever heard of Tade Ogidan or Tunde Kelani?
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 4:36pm On Feb 23, 2011
fstranger3:

Before Nollywood came into existence in the 1990's was there anything that preceeded it?

Of course there was. Nigeria is a very rich cultural entity, which has for decades produced very beautiful and even world acclaimed theatre productions, which is where this movie industry takes root.

Herbert Ogunde and Ola Balogun amongst of few others all made movies that were shown in the few theatres that existed during the 1970's and 1980's. These films include "Jaiyesimi", "Aiye" and "Taxi-Driver", these were all done in Yoruba (the language of the South Western States),

the movies done in English prior to Igbo-wood include "Bisi Daughter of The River" and Prof. Wole Soyinka's "Blues For A Prodigal" amongst a few others.

The problem of funding, expensive equipment and piracy amongst others made sure that these early efforts did not take root and develop into the great industry as we see it today.

many yoruba movies and many theatre groups were there then. . . .

This is not a beef talk, if it was, it would be something market women would be discussing. This is just another attempt by me to set the record straight.

are you ruggedman in disguise?
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 4:38pm On Feb 23, 2011
^^^

You remember!

Currently listening to Ehen Part 1 grin
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 4:39pm On Feb 23, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

The best producers are Yoruba

Ever heard of Tade Ogidan or Tunde Kelani?

you can't go wrong with these two but they are not really commercially oriented. tade releases classical movies like once in 4 years and tunde kelani does his like once a year. not like the zeb/chico ejiros that produce 50 movies per week with substandard quality and mediocre actress. there's no igbo movie in the history of nigeria that will stand next to owoblow or madam dearest.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 4:42pm On Feb 23, 2011
*Cougar*:

you can't go wrong with these two but they are not really commercially oriented. tade releases classical movies like once in 4 years and tunde kelani does his like once a year. not like the zeb/chico ejiros that produce 50 movies per week with substandard quality and mediocre actress. there's no igbo movie in the history of nigeria that will stand next to owoblow or madam dearest.

You are absolutely right.

What about Diamond Ring? Magun? Saworoide?

We rock!
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 4:45pm On Feb 23, 2011
Did I just win this argument for Oodua nation or what?

Where is Ezeuche and his stupidd nna brothers

Reaping where they did not sow

Anuofia you all
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by kemisuga(f): 4:45pm On Feb 23, 2011
IGBOS VERSUS YORUBAS

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by EzeUche2(m): 4:45pm On Feb 23, 2011
Yorubas are trying to compete against an Igbo bastion. We ceded you all the music industry, just let us have the movie industry.

You all cannot be good at everything.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 4:46pm On Feb 23, 2011
fstranger3:

You are absolutely right.

What about Diamond Ring? Magun? Saworoide?

We rock!

saworoide is a classic. i don't think it can be enjoyable to watch if done in another language.

EzeUche_:

Yorubas are trying to compete against an Igbo bastion. We ceded you all the music industry, just let us have the movie industry.
You all cannot be good at everything.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 4:48pm On Feb 23, 2011
*Cougar*:

saworoide is a classic. i don't think it can be enjoyable to watch if done in another language.

a lot of things would be lost in translation

I have watched it like 100 times and every time, I understand more.

Thank God for people like him
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 4:49pm On Feb 23, 2011
The thing though is that Yorubas believe more in quality while Ibos believe in quantity.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Feb 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

The only way the Igbocentic-ness of Nollywood would change is if we have more Yoruba producers. Until then, nothing will change. Nobody should be complaining.
Cuz if I'm a Nollywood producers, Ekiti actors/actresses would get most of the roles  grin grin
no! There shouldnt be more yorubas producers cos they will surly do as u think making it less entertaining for the world(as it will be more of ur own people)
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 4:51pm On Feb 23, 2011
fstranger3:

a lot of things would be lost in translation

I have watched it like 100 times and every time, I understand more.

Thank God for people like him

especially the scene where the king was asking his chiefs "which of you isn't a naughty person"?? that was class. grin

tunde kelani is talented and these are yoruba actors who have worked with seasoned producers all over the world. tunde kelani was in "tears of the sun" in 2003 and olu jacobs was a security officer in "ashanti" back in the days.

fstranger3:

The thing though is that Yorubas believe more in quality while Ibos believe in quantity.

i don't quite see it that way. the igbos invest more in their movies than the yorubas but their story-lines are crappy most of the time. yoruba movies are often substandard in terms of production and budget but the story-lines make more sense.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by EzeUche2(m): 4:52pm On Feb 23, 2011
fstranger3:

You just like spewing crap.

Igbo movies are just more appreciated throughout the world.

I bet you would slit your wrist, if Holywood creates a movie about Igbo culture. I hear Steven Spielberg is making a Things Fall Apart movie.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Feb 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Madam Ado-Ekiti, how can only you be a producers? Lol, just fooling around.

fstranger3:

And who says that Living in Bondage was the first Igbo movie? Prior to that there were also Igbo movies stretching back to the early to mid eighties. Some Igbo folks here who are either old enough, or chips off the old block must have watched or at least heard about the 'Mike Oli ife din mma' series, along with 'Izu Agba Aka', Ogbu Anwu Obara' and other mostly comedic, village-setting films. These were making grea waves in the South East about the same time Herbert Ogunde's works were making waves in the South West. It should even be pointed out that Ogunde was mostly a stage perfomer and didn't have much presence on the home-video scene. So you can't argue that yorubas were first to venture into film-making, seriously that'll be a misconception.

As for Nollywood as we know it, and which is what the industry has become, Living in Bondage pioneered the industry - ushering in relatively 'modern' movie sets, cosmopolitan settings, city-life plots, contemporary costumes, distribution channels, advertising and the works. There really should be no argument about that.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by tkb417(m): 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2011
they dont respect you, yet they called you to the podium to talk

you think they are the ones with the attitude and yet you were the one who shunned their call

so why will they greet someone who wouldnt answer their greeting

if she really said all those, then shes one murfcking slimy maggot who isnt worthy of any recognition
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 4:55pm On Feb 23, 2011
pro01:

As for Nollywood as we know it, and which is what the industry has become, Living in Bondage pioneered the industry - ushering in relatively 'modern' movie sets, cosmopolitan settings, city-life plots, contemporary costumes, distribution channels, advertising and the works. There really should be no argument about that.

jide kosoko's movie(asiri nla) was the first home video of it's kind in nigeria. several months before living in bondage was released.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by eghost247(m): 4:57pm On Feb 23, 2011
Tribalism totaly wrong One Nigeria
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by nvo5(f): 4:58pm On Feb 23, 2011
tribalism is not the way forward.
we should be discussing on how
to make better, for all of us.
How many of us can die for our
dear country
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by kemisuga(f): 4:58pm On Feb 23, 2011
@ Uchennaq - must u type in dat big fonts. Shows how lousy u are.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by Cougar2: 4:59pm On Feb 23, 2011
eghost247:

Tribalism  totaly wrong One Nigeria

nigeria is a nation of 3 countries. the colonial masters were wrong from the very beginning. there's no common ground or common denominator in an igbo man and an hausa man. they are so different.
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by kemisuga(f): 5:01pm On Feb 23, 2011
@ tkb - Thank u
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by fstranger3(m): 5:02pm On Feb 23, 2011
*Cougar*:

jide kosoko's movie(asiri nla) was the first home video of it's kind in nigeria. several months before living in bondage was released.

These Ibo peeps are irrational

Even when bytch-slapped with facts, they still want to argue.

Can you imagine that eediot telling me that Living in Bondage Heralded Nollywood? When I already watched Asiri-Nla before Living in Bondage?

I tire for these people ooooooo
Re: Uche Jombo -’yoruba Speaking Actors Do Not Respect Us. by asha80(m): 5:03pm On Feb 23, 2011
the majority of these nollywood movies are produced/directed by the igbos. zeb ejiro/chico ejiro/lancelot imasuen and it's only natural for these men to give the roles to igbo youths. nollywood in itself is too igbocentric. that they speak english doesn't really make it a national cake. let us just assume all english speaking nollywood movies are igbo movies.

Cougar so in your mind the bolded people  are igbo?so much ignorance in nigeria.Make Edo/isoko people catch you saying the bolded.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Kunle Afod And Wife Welcome Their Fourth Son (Photo) / Navy Frees Comedian Cute Abiola / Raymond Jefferson Engages Rebecca Sunday On Valentine's Day. Emeka Ike Spotted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.