Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,733 members, 7,824,066 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. (35494 Views)

How A Nigerian Teacher Earns A Living With An Organic Tomato Farm / Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm / Tomato Jos: Mira Mehta Shows The Largest Active Tomato Farm In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Coldie(m): 7:46pm On Jan 22, 2021
Fulani herdsmen never remember una
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by operAhdam: 7:52pm On Jan 22, 2021
Agbado cheesy..,God bless you bro
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by brainhgeek(m): 8:08pm On Jan 22, 2021
I almost completed the name as FCMB. btw, good venture there. God bless your efforts
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Lamasta(m): 8:09pm On Jan 22, 2021
Good job fresh tomatoes am seeing right here
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by emmaodet: 8:21pm On Jan 22, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

No wonder. Where did you get the seeds; if that is not a business secret? wink

And apart from higher yield, does it have any other special properties like drought or disease resistance? I had almost ten acres of tomato crop wiped out through nematode action about two years ago. Since then, I've kept away from tomato until I learn more about the crop.

What kind of farming are you into bro?
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Bambarino: 8:33pm On Jan 22, 2021
nice one.... cheesy
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Lordbinsmar: 8:37pm On Jan 22, 2021
mansakhalifa:

It's not gonna be anything commercial if I decide to venture into it. Just purely my thing. 5 acres in my father's town. Far away from the rest of the world.

Just a retirement plan. That's all.

OK Sir.
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Eddygourdo(m): 8:41pm On Jan 22, 2021
Pocohantas needs to see these. Quality tomatoes.
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Horllamideh(m): 8:59pm On Jan 22, 2021
Nice one sir.
Can you please help with the breakdown of the irrigation system apparatus and cost??. Also, what pesticide did you use??

1 Like

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Coinbased: 9:44pm On Jan 22, 2021
Hmm
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 22, 2021
emmaodet:

What kind of farming are you into bro?

I maintain a few side income streams; agric and other sectors; but agric is not my main business. I prefer not to go into too much detail. I like to keep my life separate from social media; especially NL; except maybe for the more general stuff.

1 Like

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by crownfierce: 10:06pm On Jan 22, 2021
Solzate:
People complain a lot there's no money! There's no money! You use money to make money.
Below are 3 legit investment platforms that pays in nigeria

www.racksterli.com
Racksterli pays you 58percent of the money you invested in 30days and it's really a nice platform
www.elancie.com
This one is just like racksterli, you invest after 30days you get ur payment,but there method of transaction is crypto currency and they pay well

mplan.simdif.com
Mplan pays you 63percent of the money you invested in 14days,and it's a nice platform

All platforms are nice u can try any of them..
Thief

3 Likes

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by greatuzo(m): 10:08pm On Jan 22, 2021
ennyhola:
Our tomatoes are now available!!

Fresh harvest!
We have enough tomatoes to go round, please feel free to Patronize us grin
Patronize our organically produced tomatoes, and they can be kept for over 1 week without them getting spoilt.
Rich harvest after toiling for a while
Nice one, am following

1 Like

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by OluchiDelly: 10:11pm On Jan 22, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

No wonder. Where did you get the seeds; if that is not a business secret? wink

And apart from higher yield, does it have any other special properties like drought or disease resistance? I had almost ten acres of tomato crop wiped out through nematode action about two years ago. Since then, I've kept away from tomato until I learn more about the crop.

Hi,
Ten acres of tomato no be moin moin o. Are u sure of this claim.? Did you use seed that are measured and sold like garri in the open market? guess you failed just.because u did not learn the rope well before venturing into it. Why dint you start small so as to acquire the needed experience b4 starting big. Tomato is not corn that u plant and abandon to carter for itself. You can start all over if u still have the passion. Read alot of thread on tomato in agric section, ask questions, we have lots of liberal minds in agric section that can mentor you.
*Get your nursery right.
*Get ur land preparation right
*Choice of seed is the most important. If you plant good hybrid seed, you cannot lose d whole 10 acres to nematode. There are varieties that are resistant to nematode.
*Right treatments. Try again but this time around start small, less than an acre, with good seed. Wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by GreatManBee: 10:17pm On Jan 22, 2021
ennyhola:
Our tomatoes are now available!!

Fresh harvest!
We have enough tomatoes to go round, please feel free to Patronize us grin
Patronize our organically produced tomatoes, and they can be kept for over 1 week without them getting spoilt.

How are they organic after using fertilizer and chemical pesticides?

1 Like

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by delpee(f): 10:24pm On Jan 22, 2021
@ennyhola
Very well done! Are the tomatoes still available? Where's your farm located?
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 22, 2021
delpee:
@ennyhola
Very well done! Are the tomatoes still available? Where's your farm located?
Yes, the tomatoes are just yielding so we definitely can harvest them weekly
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 22, 2021
Coldie:
Fulani herdsmen never remember una
We had those into consideration, the farm is secured

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 22, 2021
Lamasta:
Good job fresh tomatoes am seeing right here
We harvest them only based on order so they’re always fresh for delivery

1 Like

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 22, 2021
greatuzo:

Rich harvest after toiling for a while
Nice one, am following
Thank you Sir
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Altimatic27: 11:01pm On Jan 22, 2021
crownfierce:
Thief

But one thing I don't get about you guys is that you expect someone to bring money from somewhere and invest with your scams why don't the person just continue doing what brought the money on the first place
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by delpee(f): 11:15pm On Jan 22, 2021
ennyhola:

Yes, the tomatoes are just yielding so we definitely can harvest them weekly

Please is it available in Lagos?
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 22, 2021
OluchiDelly:

Hi,
Ten acres of tomato no be moin moin o. Are u sure of this claim.? Did you use seed that are measured and sold like garri in the open market? guess you failed just.because u did not learn the rope well before venturing into it. Why dint you start small so as to acquire the needed experience b4 starting big. Tomato is not corn that u plant and abandon to carter for itself. You can start all over if u still have the passion. Read alot of thread on tomato in agric section, ask questions, we have lots of liberal minds in agric section that can mentor you.
*Get your nursery right.
*Get ur land preparation right
*Choice of seed is the most important. If you plant good hybrid seed, you cannot lose d whole 10 acres to nematode. There are varieties that are resistant to nematode.
*Right treatments. Try again but this time around start small, less than an acre, with good seed. Wish you all the best.

Thank you for the advice. Of course I'm sure. I used seedlings that we bought from a nursery, which we planted over a number of evenings with paid labourers (losing many seedlings to crickets before we learnt that we should spray them with insecticides after planting). At about two weeks or so after planting (I can't recall exactly now), they started wilting and drying up. At first, I thought it was normal loss until it became widespread all over the farm. I had a partner who was supposed to be the expert (I'm more of an animal farmer myself) but even he didn't seem to get the problem at first. It was only when we thought of digging up the wilted plants that we started seeing tiny worms hidden inside the root and lower stems, hollowing them out. We were told to use some pellets to put in the soil around the plants, but most of the 10 acres still wilted and grew stunted somehow, and we didn't get our initial investment back (we spent a lot on labour and seedlings, plus we had to spray insecticides for the aphids etc, not to talk of those bloody crickets that used to come and snap off the young seedlings and buds in the night). All in all, we lost that investment, but all business involves risk, I guess.

It will take me some time before I get back to tomatoes. I prefer crops that are less perishable and can be moved faster commercially, like maize or soya, and like I said, I'm more experienced in livestock farming. But it was a good experience. I now think that vegetable farming is best done using hydroponics methods, so I'm trying to learn the ropes first with a very small set up for experimenting. And you're right, in retrospect, one should always start a little at a time...but I've always been a little reckless in business. You win some you lose some. Definitely, not everyone who says he's an expert is, though. That's another lesson I learnt.

4 Likes

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jan 22, 2021
delpee:

Please is it available in Lagos?
We are in ogun state, but if the deal is favourable (bulk deals), i can always find a way to deliver regularly to lagos
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by KingRoiz: 11:45pm On Jan 22, 2021
ennyhola:
We made our first harvest today! Lalasticlala, Mynd44

We harvested 3 big baskets

I wish you more harvests. This is just good

So nice to see the process looking so properly set up. I never knew what a tomatoe farm looks like .. The whole nylon stuff is most surprising tho...
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by Samylekey(m): 12:14am On Jan 23, 2021
FCM to the World
Funaab to the World

1 Like

Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by wildlife9999(m): 4:06am On Jan 23, 2021
Fellowing this topic
Re: Fcm Tomato Farm Thread. by OluchiDelly: 5:42am On Jan 23, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:

Thank you for the advice. Of course I'm sure. I used seedlings that we bought from a nursery, which we planted over a number of evenings with paid labourers (losing many seedlings to crickets before we learnt that we should spray them with insecticides after planting). At about two weeks or so after planting (I can't recall exactly now), they started wilting and drying up. At first, I thought it was normal loss until it became widespread all over the farm. I had a partner who was supposed to be the expert (I'm more of an animal farmer myself) but even he didn't seem to get the problem at first. It was only when we thought of digging up the wilted plants that we started seeing tiny worms hidden inside the root and lower stems, hollowing them out. We were told to use some pellets to put in the soil around the plants, but most of the 10 acres still wilted and grew stunted somehow, and we didn't get our initial investment back (we spent a lot on labour and seedlings, plus we had to spray insecticides for the aphids etc, not to talk of those bloody crickets that used to come and snap off the young seedlings and buds in the night). All in all, we lost that investment, but all business involves risk, I guess.

It will take me some time before I get back to tomatoes. I prefer crops that are less perishable and can be moved faster commercially, like maize or soya, and like I said, I'm more experienced in livestock farming. But it was a good experience. I now think that vegetable farming is best done using hydroponics methods, so I'm trying to learn the ropes first with a very small set up for experimenting. And you're right, in retrospect, one should always start a little at a time...but I've always been a little reckless in business. You win some you lose some. Definitely, not everyone who says he's an expert is, though. That's another lesson I learnt.
So sorry for the loss sir. Alot went wrong
* Definitely those seedlings you bought are not hybrids. They are seeds washed, dried and sold in the open market, 1 congo as low as 2k. Whereas 50g(just half milk tin) of technisem hybrid is around 25k currently.
*Those pellets (nematicides) you applied to the soil are best applied b4 planting not after infestation.
*Regular application of insecticide n fungicide very important.
Thanks for sharing your unpalatable experience, I guess other newbies wl learn from it.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Carrot Farming.. From The South West.. / The Next Gold Mine In Nigeria / Nairaland Pig Farmers Host Free Pork Tasting Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.