Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle (21427 Views)

Inside The N13bn Mansion Cristiano Ronaldo Will Be Staying At Manchester (Photo) / Cute Family Photos Of Lionel Messi Staying Safe / Mohamed Salah Avoids Kiss From A Female Reporter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by obembet(f): 1:54pm On Sep 04, 2020
Lionel Messi has reportedly resigned himself to the fact that he will have to see out his Barcelona contract and stay at the club for another year.

The Barca captain had been hoping to leave the club on a free transfer this summer, with Manchester City leading the chase for his services as they sought to reunite him with his former manager Pep Guardiola.

Messi has become disillusioned with life in Catalonia after Barca's shambolic 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League left them looking as far away from returning to the top level of European football as they have been since last winning Europe's biggest prize in 2015.

Manager Quique Setien left shortly after that loss, and has been replaced by Ronald Koeman.

Messi's father Jorge has been holding talks with Barca chiefs in a bid to thrash out his son's future, with the Messi camp holding onto the hope that they could exploit the fact that a €700m buyout clause in the star's contract no longer existed.

Jorge Messi's statement to La Liga and Barca outlining the apparent expiration of the clause was published on Friday, only for La Liga to issue a swift response denying this and stating that the clause was still at play.

"The €700m release clause exists and is absolutely valid," said the league in a statement.
"Their interpretation of the contract is decontextualised and far from the literality of the same."

This has forced Messi and his camp to back down from their transfer threat according to TyC Sports in Argentina, who were one of the first outlets to break that Messi could leave this summer.

They add that Messi does not want to leave "in the middle of a legal scandal" that could be seen as damaging to his legacy at the Nou Camp.

Source: https: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/messi-transfer-news-barcelona-city-22629865.amp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by theoneJabulani(m): 1:58pm On Sep 04, 2020
The drama continues, Barcelona need to accept Messi won't play forever, the sooner they start preparing for his departure, the better.

Contact me for US and UK used laptops. Free delivery available in lagos, payment on delivery available nationwide.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by paulolee(m): 2:09pm On Sep 04, 2020
another wahala...i think messi and hs father should try and avoid court case with barca..he should jus stay this last season, sign a pre contract with city and use this last season to give the fans a proper farewell..my opinion

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Excallibur(m): 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:
another wahala...i think messi and hs father should try and avoid court case with barca..he should jus stay this last season, sign a pre contract with city and use this last season to give the fans a proper farewell..my opinion
according to this statement, Messi will have an advantage if it comes down to a court case

Mods please do the needful

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by paulolee(m): 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2020
Excallibur:
according to this statement, Messi will have an advantage if it comes down to a court case

Mods please do the needful
advantage or not, messi should jus stay in barca if goin to court is the onmy option of leaving the club, it would be a dirt on his legacy if he drags barca to court, i dnt expect him to trash all the legacy he built in barca for years jus because of his last 5 years...the beginning do not matter bt the end and history wont be fair to him if he tries such..

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Excallibur(m): 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2020
paulolee:

advantage or not, messi should jus stay in barca if goin to court is the onmy option of leaving the club, it would be a dirt on his legacy if he drags barca to court, i dnt expect him to trash all the legacy he built in barca for years jus because of his last 5 years...the beginning do not matter bt the end and history wont be fair to him if he tries such..
The point is that Messi doesn't need to drag barca to court, he has the legal right to terminate his contract unilaterally (according to this quoted clause in the contract states by his father) .barca will be the ones to drag him to court....Although I get where you are coming from,after all this years, the break up doesn't have to be bitter

9 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by iyobosadavid: 2:46pm On Sep 04, 2020
Up Messi, i guess it is a win win situation for him. Messi leads i follow in football.
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Realadey(m): 2:48pm On Sep 04, 2020
If that should be the case,Messi has upper hand should there be any court case, moreso why is Barça holding on to an unhappy player,it will surely boomerang.
Messi too should try to avoid unnecessary hullabaloo because of the fans that gave him all, both parties should compromise,that's it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by ojaysam25(m): 2:52pm On Sep 04, 2020
If that is the case,then he should drag barca to court....he need to leave as soon as possible
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by obembet(f): 3:51pm On Sep 04, 2020
theoneJabulani:
The drama continues, Barcelona need to Messi won't play forever, the sooner they start preparing for his departure, the better.

Thats is the truth, Either Barcelona likes it or not, this guy won't play forever. Either he renew his contract or decides to leave on a free transfer next season, his departure in the future is inevitable. If you really wants to rebuild the squad and the team, while not let him go and focus on a new generation. Messi going will serve a better advantage to the entire barca than him staying. This whole saga has shown actually destroy the reputation of Barca.

Lalasticlala

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by obembet(f): 4:02pm On Sep 04, 2020
prekumohtim:

If Messi decides to remain and he becomes unproductive throughout the season, how does that help Barcelona?

I feel sorry for Barcelona because trying to keep Messi by all means will not bring out the best in him. It may end up counter productive, working against Barcelona because Messi may just have I don't care attitude knowing he will be leaving. He may not give his best.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by samuel19222(m): 4:10pm On Sep 04, 2020
_

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by TimeManager(m): 4:29pm On Sep 04, 2020
If Messi stayed, he has lost a fan.

kiss the truth!

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by gibzzhd: 4:32pm On Sep 04, 2020
2018: Ronaldo to Madrid President: Increase my wages or I will leave.
Perez (R Madrid President): You can leave.
2020: Messi to Bartemeu (Barca President). I want to leave Barca.
Bartemeu: YOU CANT LEAVE.
LA LIGA: YOU WILL NOT LEAVE
Know the �

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Ayemileto(m): 4:36pm On Sep 04, 2020
If Barca likes, they should hold on to him.

Next year, he can leave for free.

Modified: but based on the above report, if Messi sues Barca, he has an advantage. Just that it will damage his Legacy.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Uyi168: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
Goal.com nor go use fake rumors kill man pikin..

5 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by money121(m): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
Ok
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by thoollz: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
The law will always be the law. There's no ignorance in law. It's going to be barca's loss, except Messi signs another contract. I don't see them winning any trophy in the coming season.

Nigerians are already used to breaking the law that some are saying he has spent over a decade at barca and he has achieved so much for them...did the board force him to sign the contract? They respect the law a lot there. He'll be free next summer to walk away, barca board aren't just wise to grab the opportunity.

5 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Amspecial: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
grin
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by rentAcock(m): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
Messi will win the UCL next year and it doesn't matter which club he ends up.

6 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by OakConsultNG: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
Interesting.. hopefully, his mind stays put for the next season as well.
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Jh0wsef(m): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
lol
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by superCleanworks(m): 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
Media sales going up
more newspaper sales for the weekend.

Merci to Messi
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Imadeliz: 4:45pm On Sep 04, 2020
Ok
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by gabazin080(m): 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2020
fake report
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2020
I believe he's made his decision already, we only await the outcome soon
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by FreeSpirited: 4:46pm On Sep 04, 2020
Here is the usual plan

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by ybalogs(m): 4:47pm On Sep 04, 2020
Was never going to leave before sef
Re: Lionel Messi 'staying at Barcelona' as star avoids prospect of legal wrangle by olaric(m): 4:47pm On Sep 04, 2020
There is no way this was going to end well. How can a club slap such a hefty release clause in a player's contract? Barca enslaved him even though he's well paid.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo: "Saudi League Is Better Than MLS". / Russia 2018: Nigeria Will Win Best Kit At Least - BBC Bluffer's Guide To Teams / Robert Lewandowski Wins Best FIFA Men's Player Of The Year Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.