Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters (16104 Views)

Lady Sacked For Telling Her Best Friend To Stop Dating Her Boss / How To Stop Being Dependent On Monthly Salary / Croatian Firefighters Respond To Emergency Just Before Rakitic Played Penalty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Gamezi(m): 8:17am On Sep 05, 2020
KenModi:

If you want to hide information or any thing in general from a black man, put it in a long write up, he would rarely ever read it.

Lol you may be right
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by ibietela2(m): 8:18am On Sep 05, 2020
Educating
Now i know
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by gnykelly(m): 8:22am On Sep 05, 2020
naptu2:

"All bad examples are from the East, while all good examples are from Lagos".

This is what happens when people cannot read and comprehend simple posts and instead try to force their preconcieved notions on a situation. I guess Abuja and Lagos are in the East as you can see below?

I guess Lekki is in the East too?

I guess Apapa is in the East?

Ibadan is in the East?

Annamco is in Lagos, right?

Yenagoa is in Lagos?

Why is it hard for people to read? Is it laziness, ignorance, illiteracy or all of the above?

We are talking about a very important issue that affects everybody and you want to distract us with nonsense.

sir you need not a engaged a sworn fool. they will never be objective
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Denique(f): 8:23am On Sep 05, 2020
SLAP44:

So the fire fighters turned up to laugh and mock the property owners?

Tell us something! grin grin grin

You should send prayer warriors with bibles instead of wasting our time with empty tanks and useless sirens.
Troublemaker grin
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by ibietela2(m): 8:26am On Sep 05, 2020
KaluwisxPRO:
So far as the Fire Service is still controlled by the FG, then we will keep having these problems. I personally do not think it would have been this bad in Every State individually. So keep waiting for FG to replicate a functioning Fire Service in Every State just as there are functioning Police Service in Every State.

This is the koko of the matter
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Hifeylove: 8:30am On Sep 05, 2020
Dear Naptu2... this a Wonderful remarks... guess you are a fireman or you dreaming of becoming a fire � Officer?.. good one
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Elsueno: 8:34am On Sep 05, 2020
naptu2:

Because there are meant to be fire hydrants there! Can't you read??

Wait....so when going for exam and they say they will give you writing equipment. Don't you always take ur own just in case. Afterall in Nigeria, nothing is guaranteed. Thier is a high chance the hydrants will not even work as stated earlier in ur article. Shouldn't they at least bring a truck filled with water instead of an empty one
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by jidxin(m): 8:40am On Sep 05, 2020
naptu2:

https://naijachronicles./2020/09/04/why-nigerians-need-to-stop-attacking-firefighters/
i stopped reading when i got to that part that says fire hydrant in old part of lagos. Your information is wrong. 2016 or 2017 fire hydrant was installed in almost all part of Lagos state even tho im not sure they are working but it's not in old part of lagos they are newly installed
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by naptu2: 8:43am On Sep 05, 2020
Elsueno:

Wait....so when going for exam and they say they will give you writing equipment. Don't you always take ur own just in case. Afterall in Nigeria, nothing is guaranteed. Thier is a high chance the hydrants will not even work as stated earlier in ur article. Shouldn't they at least bring a truck filled with water instead of an empty one

1) A single tanker of water cannot quench most large fires (like fires in tall buildings and markets). That's why you see fire trucks racing back to their stations to get more water. That would have been unnecessary if there was a hydrant. The water in a water truck gets exhausted in a few minutes.

2) A water truck with a full tank of water is heavier and slower and this affects its ability to get to the scene on time.

3) A firefighter on a motorcycle can quickly get to the scene of a fire and begin the process of putting out the fire before those large water truck can navigate through traffic to get to the scene. Their ability to put out the fire is enhanced by the presence of a fire hydrant.

There is no substitute to having adequate fire hydrants.
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by naptu2: 8:44am On Sep 05, 2020
jidxin:
i stopped reading when i got to that part that says fire hydrant in old part of lagos. Your information is wrong. 2016 or 2017 fire hydrant was installed in almost all part of Lagos state even tho im not sure they are working but it's not in old part of lagos they are newly installed

You've just stated the problem and I quote, "I stopped reading". If you had not stopped reading you would have seen where I wrote about the hydrants that were installed during the Fashola and Ambode era.

Now go back and continue reading.

1 Like

Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by harbayo20(m): 8:46am On Sep 05, 2020
You guys should note that NO fire appliance turns out without water.
It's an inexcusable ignorance to say the fire service trucks came without water
Hide your face for saying that as an educated adult!
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by kevoh(m): 8:50am On Sep 05, 2020
jidxin:
i stopped reading when i got to that part that says fire hydrant in old part of lagos . Your information is wrong. 2016 or 2017 fire hydrant was installed in almost all part of Lagos state even tho im not sure they are working but it's not in old part of lagos they are newly installed
You stopped reading! No, don't do that! Never do that! You need to read the whole information before claiming whether it's wrong or not!
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Elsueno: 8:56am On Sep 05, 2020
naptu2:

1) A single tanker of water cannot quench most large fires (like fires in tall buildings and markets). That's why you see fire trucks racing back to their stations to get more water. That would have been unnecessary if there was a hydrant. The water in a water truck gets exhausted in a few minutes.

2) A water truck with a full tank of water is heavier and slower and this affects its ability to get to the scene on time.

3) A firefighter on a motorcycle can quickly get to the scene of a fire and begin the process of putting out the fire before those large water truck can navigate through traffic to get to the scene. Their ability to put out the fire is enhanced by the presence of a fire hydrant.

There is no substitute to having adequate fire hydrants.

I understand what you are saying, but to me, it just doesn't make sense for me to go out fighting fires in an empty fire truck because you expect a hydrant there, it's better to fill ur truck with water and arrive slightly slower than come faster and hydrant gets stucked.

infact they should use that motorcycle with hose to arrive first and try to open hydrant if there are any in the vicinity b4 the firetruck FULL of water arrives
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by naptu2: 8:59am On Sep 05, 2020
Elsueno:

I understand what you are saying, but to me, it just doesn't make sense for me to go out fighting fires in an empty fire truck because you expect a hydrant there, it's better to fill ur truck with water and arrive slightly slower than come faster and hydrant gets stucked.

infact they should use that motorcycle with hose to arrive first and try to open hydrant if there are any in the vicinity b4 the firetruck FULL of water arrives

I'm going to quote some replies by firefighters on this thread.

Srallens:

To the novices, it may seem that they came with an empty fire appliance, but not at all.
Let me explain to you something sir

The fire service are always being contacted when the issue has gotten out of hand...

And the traffic is another huddle to pass through.. Mind you that we don't have the proper orientation to give way to fire trucks when they are always turning out.

So before the arrival of the fire fighters, the fire has possibly engulfed most part of the building.. And in order to be able to combat the fire, the appliance has to be made to jet water from the it's pump at a maximum pressure. And that directly affects the amount of water being discharged per minute. Note that a 10,000 litres of water can be exhausted in less than 10 minutes under high pressure and most especially when two branches are being used coupled with the ground monitor.

So to a novice, it may seem that the appliance was brought there without water, which is not actually the case sir. The pressure affects the water being discharged sir.

That's why the service needs hydrants to be installed so that water can easily be gotten.... Water is the weapon.

frubben:
it does not make sense right, and have u wondered also that they left there station with a water filled tank, but because of bad equipment, before they navigate their way to the place , the water don leak finish for road . You don reason go dere.

See bros Nigeria no dey try.

I can bet with my life some people on this forum are just hearing the hydrant for the first time

1 Like

Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Goke7: 9:02am On Sep 05, 2020
Very educative write up. Fashola really tried in the area of fire fighting in lagos, reason he insisted on street gates being opened always.
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by AbujaBlue: 9:06am On Sep 05, 2020
Excellent summary of the problems afflicting Nigeria's fire service. Instead of fawning over how brilliant fire services are abroad, it focuses on the problems that need addressing here and now.

It should be noted that these problems are seen across Africa. I remember the news of fire trucks being attacked in Nairobi slums.
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by AsiwajuNdigbo: 9:13am On Sep 05, 2020
I learnt some new things on this thread. Very good information share. Good job naptu!
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by EgunMogaji2: 9:17am On Sep 05, 2020
I’ve watched this happen twice in Ibadan and it was a sad sight to see. Policemen had to fire live rounds to disperse the thugs.

My individual issues with Nigeria are with the people not the government.
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by derbykol(f): 9:26am On Sep 05, 2020
phayvoursky:
I read from A to Z.

I must be a [b][/b]very patient man[b]

God bless our firefighters but I always wonder why I never see them moving around like other forces[/b]
No.The piece is very educative and captivating too.
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by SirMichael1: 9:30am On Sep 05, 2020
I remembered when fire was burning my school's ultra modern market. In the whole of GK or closeby, there was no fire service truck.

Accessibility to fire servicers is also core.
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by GEEBITE: 9:37am On Sep 05, 2020
Brilliant and expository, it must have taken you days if not weeks to put this together except you are a stakeholder or your career/ business path is aligned to fire&safety Great job you did here.

My little experience with Unionbank validates some parts of this write up,it is one bank that does not joke with fire drills. Your business unit will have serious audit queries if you haven't completed the mandatory quarterly drills and will affect the team lead's appraisal.

Btw,where is Ishilove not yet seen on this thread.lol
naptu2:

https://naijachronicles./2020/09/04/why-nigerians-need-to-stop-attacking-firefighters/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by DeBigFab(m): 9:43am On Sep 05, 2020
You should put on your thinking cap. Pray, why should a soldier go to war with guns without ammunitions? The water may get exhausted because of the limited capacity of the water tank. And that is why there should be Fire Hydrants. It can never happen that Firemen will turn out to an emergency with empty tank.

Stop being clever by half, why should anyone arrive to a burning building without water to fight the fire? [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Elsueno: 9:44am On Sep 05, 2020
naptu2:

I'm going to quote some replies by firefighters on this thread.

Thanks, I get it now
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by DeBigFab(m): 9:45am On Sep 05, 2020
You should put on your thinking cap. Pray, why should a soldier go to war with guns without ammunitions? The water may get exhausted because of the limited capacity of the water tank. And that is why there should be Fire Hydrants. It can never happen that Firemen will turn out to an emergency with empty tank.

"Stop being clever by half, why should anyone arrive to a burning building without water to fight the fire?" [/quote][color=#000099][/color]
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Nickshrapnel: 9:55am On Sep 05, 2020
naptu2:

Why is it hard for people to read? Is it laziness, ignorance, illiteracy or all of the above?

We are talking about a very important issue that affects everybody and you want to distract us with nonsense.
grin Sir, sometimes I’m forced to reply some stupid comments here, but oftentimes I just take a breath and ignore
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Tango123: 10:17am On Sep 05, 2020
SLAP44:
grin

Firefighters are a part of the failed government, giving them a brain resetting beating is a way the people pass the message that Nigerian government is useless.

Imagine waiting so long after calling fire service and they turn up to a raging fire with an empty tank!

Wonder how long it will take the government to get the message.

Did u vote in last elections. Who did u vote. Did u vote with ur conscience. Or did u vote along tribal and ethnic lines.

How we vote and who we vote for, are all things that make the govt to never get it

Next election, at all levels, use ur vote wisely if u want to see change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Silverygold(m): 10:26am On Sep 05, 2020
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 05, 2020
Fg and states should equip fire service personnels with firefighting helicopters and planes, as they would rapidly put out fires more quickly.
Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Alexaonfleek: 10:54am On Sep 05, 2020
The first time I saw fire hydrant in Lagos I was surprised ooo. I thought it was only in captcha I will see these things grin

1 Like

Re: Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters by Alexaonfleek: 10:54am On Sep 05, 2020
The first time I saw fire hydrant in Lagos I was surprised ooo. I thought it was only in captcha I will see these things grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FCMB Laying Off Staff. / Further Your Career With SAP ERP Training In Lagos And Port Hacourt Nigeria / 5 Simple Strategies To Boost Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.