Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,716 members, 7,813,361 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

Help Solve This Physics Argument - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Help Solve This Physics Argument (268 Views)

Help Solve This Math. Maths Guru / Nigerian Physics Student Builds A Drone, Names It ‘hope For Chibok Girls’,(pix) / See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help Solve This Physics Argument by Teknoteableblog: 1:38am On Sep 05, 2020
My friend and I were arguing over sun light. i said that since light take eight minutes to reach us on earth from sun, then if the sun should go dark we will still see light after eight minutes it died. But my friend said no. that sun is emitting radiation, once cut off nothing will radiate to earth meaning we will stop seeing sun light that very second. physicts in the house help us solve this

1 Like

Re: Help Solve This Physics Argument by Johnpotter660: 8:57am On Sep 05, 2020
Your submission is correct and your friend's wrong. Einstein's Special theory of relativity clarifies the issue--the speed of light is the same for all observer i.e 3*10^8 m/s. This means there's a speed limit, it's not instantaneous!

Light travels roughly 300000km per second. But there is 151 million in between Earth and Sun, hence when we divide 151 million by 300000, we get 503.33 seconds light takes to go from Sun to Earth. Convert seconds to minutes gives ~8 minutes. Perhaps this would help your friend �

Highlighted is for TL;DR

3 Likes

Re: Help Solve This Physics Argument by wissenschaften(m): 9:42pm On Sep 05, 2020
You're correct, when distant stars go supernova and we report it because we just saw the light.
But the supernova occured billions of years ago. But the sheer distance of the star from us (light years). Means that we are just receiving the light now.

So if the sun suddenly went dark, it would take 8 minutes for us to see the lights go down.
Because light has a speed!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is A VPN, And How Does It Work? / [2023] hot foil stamping machine / How Can I Find My IP Address And What Is It For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.