Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response (6802 Views)

"This Your Teacher Is Fine O" - Man Reacts To His Daughter's Drawing / 800 Mind Blowing Facts That Will Absolutely Make Your Day After Knowing / "Barb" Your Hair Is Wrong. See The Right Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by lecowas: 10:09am On Sep 05, 2020
I don't know how somebody will just wake up in the morning and decide to fool himself. grin

Same way my chemistry teacher claimed some English sentences were not correct while I was in secondary school, he provided the correct one, when next we spoke , I discovered he doesn't even speak what he claimed was correct, I am the only one in the world that speaks his "correct versions". Lol...I mumu myself no be small
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Favourchi123(f): 10:09am On Sep 05, 2020
Uyi168:
Q:how are you?? Me: I just dey o.. grin
Na u sabi english pass

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Lilgabby(m): 10:19am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:
Stop Saying “I'm Fine Thank You, and You” It is Wrong! See the Correct Response

When someone asks “ how are you? ” a popular response among many Nigerians is “I'm fine thank you, and you”. However, what many people do not realize is that, such response is bad English. Proper Native English speakers do not respond in such manner.

In this article we will reveal Several ways that you can respond to such greeting without Committing grammatical blunders.

When someone asks how are you? You can use some of the following responses to avoid grammatical errors:

· Happy Answer + Basic Question

* I’m doing great (thanks). How about you?

· Normal Answer + Basic Question

* I’m pretty good what’s new with you

· Busy Answer + Basic Question

* I’ve been a bit busy, but okay. How have things been* with you

· Stressed Answer + Basic Question

* Things have been rough lately but they are getting better, how have you been?

· Satisfied Answer + Basic Question

* Never been better. What about you?

It is very important to note that short responses such as "“I'm good, you?” is also applicable in English, although used informally and sparingly among native English speakers.

Now that you have been enlightened, stop giving the wrong response when someone asks about your welfare.

Share your feedback in the comments section down below.
Please, fine something better to do. Don't continue to be a white man's slave on all this trashy English you claiming we must know. Shey na ur papa language .... Na question oh! Abi na ur mama language. ... If I choose to speak .... "I'm fine and you" is non of your fkn business and not my problem. U carry person language put for head.
You're the real mumu ..... Them born you well make u try this for china... Na die u dey!
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Olafisoyem: 10:33am On Sep 05, 2020
You’re wrong
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Enceladus(m): 10:39am On Sep 05, 2020
Native English people do say I am fine thank you as a way of evading interaction with the initiator. Nothing wrong with it. English is a very complicated language.
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by MikeMicheal(m): 10:57am On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

thanks for the correction chief, Much Obliged!
OLODO! You are trying to correct people, but you don't even know the difference between "being" and "been".
Cure your ignorance, before trying to cure that of other people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 05, 2020
Why Is Dis Respond To Dis Question Wrong? How Are You? I'm Fine, Thank You. When D Question Is Not, How Are You Doing?
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Brayss(m): 12:34pm On Sep 05, 2020
TimoWerner:
you don't like being corrected.
why have you not modify your post?
i no too sabi english but i know say has/have/had =been
yes while is/are/was/ware =being
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by TimoWerner: 12:39pm On Sep 05, 2020
Brayss:
yes while is/are/was/were =being
exactly! smiley
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by sweetrace(f): 1:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:

hAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE English men say this in movies interviews and what not?

Yes! I am fine thank you is a formal response. I’m doing great and others are informal. Let’s not create problems where there’s none.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Sarkikhanil(m): 1:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
ashybabs:
Stop Saying “I'm Fine Thank You, and You” It is Wrong! See the Correct Response

When someone asks “ how are you? ” a popular response among many Nigerians is “I'm fine thank you, and you”. However, what many people do not realize is that, such response is bad English. Proper Native English speakers do not respond in such manner.

In this article we will reveal Several ways that you can respond to such greeting without Committing grammatical blunders.

When someone asks how are you? You can use some of the following responses to avoid grammatical errors:

· Happy Answer + Basic Question

* I’m doing great (thanks). How about you?

· Normal Answer + Basic Question

* I’m pretty good what’s new with you

· Busy Answer + Basic Question

* I’ve been a bit busy, but okay. How have things been* with you

· Stressed Answer + Basic Question

* Things have been rough lately but they are getting better, how have you been?

· Satisfied Answer + Basic Question

* Never been better. What about you?

It is very important to note that short responses such as "“I'm good, you?” is also applicable in English, although used informally and sparingly among native English speakers.

Now that you have been enlightened, stop giving the wrong response when someone asks about your welfare.

Share your feedback in the comments section down below.
bros in Nigeria there's no right response when someone asked after your welfare, i appreciate you educating the public on this matter but the matter is, Nigerians Don't ask the correct English question i.e "How are you". All i have been asked/asking na "How fa?" "What's the level?" "What's the wayforward?" "watsup?" Before you answer sef another question go follow "weytin dy happen na?" undecided you see this is the kind of questions about welfare that need right response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by hardbody: 1:46pm On Sep 05, 2020
illicit:
There is nothing wrong with " I am fine, thank you"

Must everybody be in the same mood?

I may not have time for long answers when u greet me

I tire ooo. The average oyibo man sef no dey greet. They just smile and nod at you and you do the same and move on. I will always respond the way i am used to...i am fine thank you, and you? Except i really wanna go into that brief update.

Not saying the OP is wrong though but i respond based on how i feel.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by hardbody: 1:49pm On Sep 05, 2020
Lilgabby:

Please, fine something better to do. Don't continue to be a white man's slave on all this trashy English you claiming we must know. Shey na ur papa language .... Na question oh! Abi na ur mama language. ... If I choose to speak .... "I'm fine and you" is non of your fkn business and not my problem. U carry person language put for head.
You're the real mumu ..... Them born you well make u try this for china... Na die u dey!

Bros your blood dey hot. Wetin this bros do you before now?

2 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by VickyRotex(f): 2:03pm On Sep 05, 2020
Engrrisshhh oooooo undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by BankyGee(m): 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2020
VickyRotex:
Engrrisshhh oooooo undecided undecided
Lol... The thing weak me ahswearughad...

2 Likes

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by RoyMiller7: 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2020

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by zagorakis(m): 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
fr3do:

I feel there is a lot of things wrong with " I am fine, thank you".
We have gotten so accustomed to that default answer that we often fail to communicate our difficulties and worries to those who want to know about our welfare.

Many persons who ask you "how are you" are not really interested in knowing your difficulties and worries, they dont really want you to start telling your stories. So its more or less a form greeting that requires any of the above responses
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by definateli: 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2020
How are you? Them: It is well.
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by DrKKK1(m): 6:32pm On Sep 05, 2020
This is unnecessary.
If you think "how are you?" I am fine?" is too short, what about" hello" and "hi" as response?
Oyibo people even try, in my dialect it's shorter.
Greeting "Wada hi" response "madam hi".

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by DrKKK1(m): 6:41pm On Sep 05, 2020
This is the time to encourage short greetings. In this covid19 period, you need too much familiarity with anyone. How are you? It should be matched with brief response as "I'm good", "I am fine", I am well", I am great, etc. To much response or story can induce sneeze, cough, and hand shakes. Before you know it you use formal greetings to share foreign diseases. The most important thing is to meaningfully communicate.
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by VickyRotex(f): 7:00pm On Sep 05, 2020
BankyGee:

Lol... The thing weak me ahswearughad...

lol grin grin
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Lilgabby(m): 7:09pm On Sep 05, 2020
hardbody:

Bros your blood dey hot. Wetin this bros do you before now?
That guy no get work. He dey vecx me sef ....
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by missjekyll: 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
Good grammar is whatever people say it is. Only dead languages remain the same. For languages,its change or die
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Tonytonero1: 9:54pm On Sep 05, 2020
Humanoid01:
Good knowledge passed, a worthy read.

I think it's also worth knowing that being a teacher doesn't make you error-proof and that sometimes, you can be prone to correction by your student (s). Therefore, I'd like you to note that "Now that you have BEING enlightened" is wrong. It's "Now that you have BEEN enlightened" .

Thanks for the lesson well taught. I hope to see more from you, as I continue the journey toward building a better vocabulary. You can tag me in your next session.
The word, 'prone' is not used with positive ideas. It's right to say 'prone to error, infection or accident' but not 'correction'. Bottom line: one is not prone to correction.

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Harbidexy5(m): 10:38am On Sep 06, 2020
Tonytonero1:
The word, 'prone' is not used with positive ideas. It's right to say 'prone to error, infection or accident' but not 'correction'. Bottom line: one is not prone to correction.
Everyone is jst erring around.
Nawa ooo... English jst dey difficult 4 pple.
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by OlyGift(f): 11:08am On Sep 06, 2020
Lol, say I'm great what about you
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Humanoid01(m): 2:15pm On Sep 06, 2020
Tonytonero1:
You are right. I guess I used the word over-ambiguously based on the belief that teachers cannot be corrected by students. "Subject" should be the right word. Thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by Kamdil: 11:47pm On Oct 02, 2020
TimoWerner:
Scammer!! Dominique blacklist this guy. He will ask his victim to come to abj, he is a thief. His number is 08108517753
when u get to abuja ,what happens
Re: Don't MUMU Yourself “i'm Fine Thank You” is ABSOLUTELY Wrong! See Right Response by tobechi74: 1:43am On Oct 03, 2020
True

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unn Cut Off For Medicine And Surgery / At What Age Did You Complete Your Primary And Secondary School Education? / Aau Ekpoma Post Ume Form Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.