Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,449 members, 7,843,369 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court (406 Views)

EFCC Arraigns Ex-Lagos Attorney-General, Shasore For Alleged $100,000 Fraud / EFCC Detains Supo Shasore Over P&ID Scam / Over 500 Witnesses To Testify For Ganduje At Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by Luftwaffe(f): 10:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
A former attorney general of Lagos State, Olasupo Shasore, who was legal counsel representing the Nigerian government at a court of arbitration in the United Kingdom in a case filed by P&ID, has defended his actions.

P&ID won the arbitration case against Nigeria and was awarded about $9.6bn damages.

Nigeria only recently, on September 4, 2020 got a UK court to suspend the judgement.

Shasore, a former President of Lagos Court of Arbitration, has been accused of having compromised and worked against the interest of Nigeria while the case was in arbitration.

Shasore in statement on Saturday who said he only represented Nigeria during the determine liability, insisted the government he represented did not cooperate with him, failed to provide documents and witnesses in the case, yet he defended Nigeria and secured results.

He said, “I am relieved that the corrupt and fraudulent foundation of this case is affirmed in the recent ruling, though I am disappointed that part of the case made for that result was a case against me based on demonstrably false statements, unfounded innuendoes and spiteful personal attacks on my professional conduct and reputation.

“I was instructed in this matter and accepted the instructions on behalf of my firm and to the knowledge of my partners in late 2012 and I made every effort to defend and vindicate my client at every stage with very few tools and with minimal support from within the government itself.”

Shasore said, “I represented Nigeria up until the liability stage in the arbitration. I did not represent Nigeria in the damages stage of the arbitration. Which means I was not involved when the huge sum of damages was awarded against Nigeria.

“The complete records will show the series of steps that I took to defend Nigeria and the several results, which I secured in that effort at various stages.”

He said none of these was consistent with the unfounded allegations that I failed to present the best available defense.

“With very little or no cooperation from relevant government officials at the time, I filed a jurisdiction objection that potentially could and should indeed have terminated the case in favour of Nigeria because it was clear to us from the beginning that the contract was a scheme against Nigeria,” he said.

He said, “When the then Nigerian officials failed to supply documents or any witness to defend their case, I fought liability by enlisting the support of the legal adviser of NNPC who gave evidence to the best of his knowledge when everyone else with knowledge, refused to do so.

“I instructed the UK firm of Stephenson Harwood a respected international arbitration team and a leading Barrister to attempt to set aside the award on liability in England.

“We overcame numerous hurdles and faced a hostile tribunal, which relied on the testimony of a principal witness who had died before the hearing and whose testimony should have been discounted. It is on record that I fought had for the tribunal to dispense with that evidence.”

Shasore said, “I am happy that the falsity of that testimony has now been recorded in the High Court in England. Indeed this was the ground on which I took the matter to the Federal High Court in Nigeria, which was the proper seat of the arbitration and successfully obtained an order setting aside the liability award.

“There was no basis to proceed to the damages hearing since the liability had already been set aside by a court of competent jurisdiction. Indeed, Nigeria continues to rely on this order in the proceedings in the United States. In addition, I obtained an injunction restraining the parties and the tribunal from proceeding with the arbitration.”
SOURCE
lalasticlala

Re: Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by NwaNimo1(m): 10:51pm On Sep 05, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by jlinkd78(m): 11:04pm On Sep 05, 2020
Thank goodness you are alive to try to clear your name though whether you succeeded or not is a matter for another day cos your defense is highly technical and difficult to understand by laymen like us who are not 'learned' enough to interpret d legal terminologies

2 Likes

Re: Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by Mercisharelove(f): 1:57am On Sep 06, 2020
Joker's
Re: Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by OlujobaSamuel: 6:59am On Sep 06, 2020
We yaff hear.
So tell us about the fund of about $100k you paid to civil servants

1 Like

Re: Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by surgical: 8:31am On Sep 06, 2020
It's now I believe Jonathan is not sound despite his PhD,how can you hire APC stalwart to help you out in a important matter,when they trying everything desperate to tarnish your image,portray you as corrupt and incompetent
Jona bleep up big time
Re: Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by richiemcgold: 9:30am On Sep 06, 2020
this doesn't hold water in any way oga lawyer; it's more like trying saving your face than actually clearing your name.
Re: Shasore: Nigerian Govt Denied Me Documents, Witnesses To Fight P&ID In Court by hajimosho(m): 10:26am On Sep 06, 2020

Okay...

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO! Flash Flood Takes Over Parts Of Ogba, Lagos State After Heavy Downpour / LAGOS FIT BE EDO 2023 / Edo Election: Why Ize-iyamu, Buni, Yahaya Bello, Others Met In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.