Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,159 members, 7,811,340 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. (9488 Views)

Can Anyone Explain Why Gas Cylinder Comes With A Net / Meet The Human Calculators' Indian Girls / Get CFA Ba-ii Plus Calculators In Lagos??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Powerexpert: 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2020
O is not of but order. In Bodmas, division comes before multiplication.
Seikiri1:

I. BODMAS algorithm

6÷2(2+1) -First work is B "bracket"
6÷2(3) - second work is O "of"
6÷6 - third work is D "division"
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Folzye(m): 1:35pm On Sep 07, 2020
Well, looking at the real expression

The Bracket rule works when we evaluate the expression inside of it and that gives 3

So, if you are to go by that 6÷2 should be processed next and that gives 3

Therefore 9 is correct

To test that the rule of BODMAS is in play on the android calculators try

6+2(2+1)

For this the answer is 12 and it clearly does not follow the procedure for the division

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Seikiri1: 1:38pm On Sep 07, 2020
Powerexpert:
O is not of but order. In Bodmas, division comes before multiplication.
That is how it was programmed in calsio
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by majamajic(m): 1:39pm On Sep 07, 2020
Seikiri1:
Both Are very Correct

Reasons
I. Both are programmed with different algorithms to solve the same problem.
How
I. The Calsio work with an algorithm or principle of BODMAS while The Android phone and other computers are programmed with an algorithm or operate with a principle of operator precedence.
How Does The Algorithm Work
With the above question here is the solution of bodmas and operator precedence solution.

I. BODMAS algorithm

6÷2(2+1) -First work is B "bracket"
6÷2(3) - second work is O "of"
6÷6 - third work is D "division"
Answer= 1.

II. OPERATOR PRECEDENCE algorithm
6/2(2+1) -first work is bracket, it has higher precedence than multiplication and division
6/2(3) -second work is division, because division and multiplication have the same number of precedence, therefore there is a rule that is applied to choose which one to apply first. The rule is left-to-right. Whenever two operators have the same number of precedence you work left-to-right.
3(3) -third work is multiplication
Answer= 9

Note: - I will advise, most especially students in secondary schools to use the one of the calsio because that is what applies to bodmas which is used in secondary schools and University.
The one of Android phone is mostly used by computer science student.

In conclusion both the Calsio and the Android Phone answer is correct.

Can 2 answers be correct with 2 different numbers ?
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by fattprince(m): 1:41pm On Sep 07, 2020
Dottore:
Don't be hasty to condemn the android calculators. It seems all app calculators are showing same result even the online based calculator apps.
Don't mind the Op. No matter what you use you calculate the bracket first. Which gives 3
I think doing it that way will give us 9.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Seikiri1: 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2020
majamajic:

It depends on the question.
E.g
8 + 2 = 10 and
14 - 4 = 10
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by fattprince(m): 1:45pm On Sep 07, 2020
Emescot:
How is it possible to get 1 as the answer if you use BODMAS?
E shock me too. You claim Bodmas but slamming the one that used it as incorrect.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by majamajic(m): 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2020
Seikiri1:

It depends on the question.
E.g
8 + 2 = 10 and
14 - 4 = 10

Answer 10 is same here , the other one is 1 and 9
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Folzye(m): 1:50pm On Sep 07, 2020
6÷2(2+1) = 9

Bracket
Division
Multiplication
So, the Android calculator is correct

Test this with 6+2(2+1) =12

Bracket
Multiplication
Addition
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Seikiri1: 1:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
majamajic:

That is why i told you it depends on the question.
And how it is used.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by 0rion: 1:52pm On Sep 07, 2020
majamajic:

I wonder oo
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Karleb(m): 1:54pm On Sep 07, 2020
majamajic:

Mathematically, yes!

I got nine, I think I'm fine.

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by majamajic(m): 1:55pm On Sep 07, 2020
Seikiri1:

That is why i told you it depends on the question.

No , it's not same
In this one questions are same while answers are different

In your example questions are different while answers one
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by majamajic(m): 1:58pm On Sep 07, 2020
Karleb:

Mathematically, yes!

I got nine, I think I'm fine.

So u mean 2 answers can go on one equation ?
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Karleb(m): 1:59pm On Sep 07, 2020
majamajic:

So u mean 2 answers can go on one equation ?

Yes. That's in Mathematics but not in this mathematical state.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Seikiri1: 2:21pm On Sep 07, 2020
majamajic:

No , it's not same
In this one questions are same while answers are different

In your example questions are different while answers one
If you study any course related to computer science you would understand.
You know in secondary school the best and only way of solving questions like that was with bodmas, but after I gained admission to study computer science every thing became different and clear on how most of the electronic gadgets are operating and functioning, including calculations.
If you are given a question like that as a computer science student you must go with the Android version of the calculation while in secondary school you must go with the casio version.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by lecowas: 2:24pm On Sep 07, 2020
Following the rule of bodmas or operator precedence, the correct answer will be that of the Android phone which is 9. A calculator is difficult to use and therefore need a special expertise. Those who can use it to plot graph knows what I'm saying
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by lecowas: 2:26pm On Sep 07, 2020
Seikiri1:

You know in secondary school the best and only way of solving questions like that was with bodmas, but after I gained admission to study computer science every thing became different and clear on how most of the electronic gadgets are operating and functioning, including calculations.
If you are given a question like that as a computer science student you must go with the Android version of the calculation while in secondary school you must go with the calsio version.

I disagree, most secondary school students don't know the nitty gritty of BODMAS. Bracket is not multiplication, and that's where the problem comes from.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by larryUG(m): 2:42pm On Sep 07, 2020
Emescot:
How is it possible to get 1 as the answer if you use BODMAS?
My brother na the same question i wan ask. using Bodmas or PEMDAS, the answer can never be 1
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Chevrolet076(m): 2:42pm On Sep 07, 2020
ObinnaObinna:
You people should stop using 2 to multiply the bracket. 2 is the denominator and DENOMINATOR IN THIS CASE ONLY DOES DIVISION AND NOT MULTIPLICATION!!!

You can only use 6 to multiply in this case.

There is no way 9 and 1 can be correct for the exact same problem. It is IMPOSSIBLE. Seems you guys have forgotten that it's maths we're talking about here.

olódo with pride....

3 Likes

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by GreenArrow1(m): 2:47pm On Sep 07, 2020
I like this discussion. Don't stop guys.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by sinkhole: 3:07pm On Sep 07, 2020
Squillaci:

Google calculator added an asterisk.
So not the same.
grin grin hope you know the meaning of the asterisk wink
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by sinkhole: 3:10pm On Sep 07, 2020
majamajic:

Ha, oga, no be quadratic equation we dey solve o cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 07, 2020
sinkhole:
grin grin hope you know the meaning of the asterisk wink
Google added the asterisk, which means multiplication.
If the original question had a multiplication symbol before the bracket, then there would have been an obvious answer.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Rilley(m): 3:22pm On Sep 07, 2020
9 is the correct answer
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Dreyton36: 4:07pm On Sep 07, 2020
Me no first like mathematics , nothing wey i know for here
Make i Waka jeje

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 07, 2020
Dottore:
Don't be hasty to condemn the android calculators. It seems all app calculators are showing same result even the online based calculator apps.

The answer is 9.

Maybe he no go school.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by fewAreRoaming: 4:38pm On Sep 07, 2020
Seikiri1:

If you are given a question like that as a computer science student you must go with the Android version of the calculation while in secondary school you must go with the calsio version.

You are just spilling out trash upandan trying to look smart angry

No be only you go school (or study CSC )

The 'O' in BODMAS is not 'of' like you were wrongly taught in school, but actually mean 'Order' (which is power.. like raised to power this or that)

I understand your point about the Casio being correct due to its own argorithm ( of cause it is a computer too, and it has been programmed to execute in a certain way, and it is correct at best to how correct the program is), but speaking mathematically, that question can never have two solutions and the correct solution, applying BODMAS, is 9! angry

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Seikiri1: 4:43pm On Sep 07, 2020
fewAreRoaming:

My dear what you don't know is bigger than you... keep it low.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by fewAreRoaming: 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2020
Seikiri1:

My dear what you don't know is bigger than you... keep it low.

Could say the same to you too
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Seikiri1: 4:58pm On Sep 07, 2020
sinkhole:
Ha, oga, no be quadratic equation we dey solve o cheesy
Lol grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

University Of Jos UNIJOS 2015/2016 Masters Degree Forms Now On 08060777331 / ASUU To Oyo, Osun: Declare State Of Emergency On LAUTECH / Lagos State University Part Time Application Form Is Out(external Campuses)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.