Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,301 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. (9515 Views)

Can Anyone Explain Why Gas Cylinder Comes With A Net / Meet The Human Calculators' Indian Girls / Get CFA Ba-ii Plus Calculators In Lagos??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Mr2kul(m): 11:13pm On Sep 07, 2020
sinkhole:
This, from Mathwork(MATLAB) APP!
Bro please how you set up the app on phone?
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Zerolosses: 11:31pm On Sep 07, 2020
Please read through...this might be the opportunity you need

Fadi Global is the newest investment and most legit one at that. They are registered with the government
Fadi is a cosmetic company that gives out cash and other incentives (car and paid trip) to people that chose to partner with them
All you need is a one time payment of 5000 naira and just 2 downlines/referrals to move up the steps(if yo cant find downlines dont worry we will find them for you we have a lot of people registering with us daily)
Note you only need a one time payment
To know more and register message me on WhatsApp 09036113826

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Martinez39s(m): 11:34pm On Sep 07, 2020
The android calculator is correct. You probably need to change the battery of your calcio calculator.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 07, 2020
sinkhole:
This, from Mathwork(MATLAB) APP!
Programming languages use PEMDAS strictly which means there's no Of.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 07, 2020
Spy360:

Na you and the analog be olodo OP.
Nope the Casio and the phone are both correct, since there is no standard. Where is ANSI and ISO when you need em.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by RubiesBanking: 11:59pm On Sep 07, 2020
vincentont:

This is the only person that gave simple explanation has why the answer should be 1. Whatever rule you want to follow the answer is still 1 because solving maths has a process and when u missed one process u will arrive at a wrong answer believing that is the right answer.
NB: There are two brackets here to be solved before the division.

Your wrong, the second bracket can also represent multiplication since it's a single value inside. The first order of bodmas the bracket implies you solve whatever that's inside the parentheses first.

Use any calculator you will also know that the answer is 9, even with your mechanical calc
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Simpubozz(m): 12:03am On Sep 08, 2020
All I'm seeing is Android!!! Someone should try it on iOS I want to check something tongue
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by ObinnaObinna(m): 12:14am On Sep 08, 2020
Chevrolet076:

olódo with pride....

Your mother sucked my díck with greater pride.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Martinez39s(m): 12:48am On Sep 08, 2020
Goldeno:
both are right
you see OP, the casio calculator is a real time calculator meaning u can enter values in as they are and it will now what you mean

but the phone calculator has certain user rules for use, to do you calculations you'll need to be very specific

6/(2(2+1))=1

but third party calculators don't have this problem because they are designed to emulate real calculators
Seikiri1:
Both Are very Correct

Reasons
I. Both are programmed with different algorithms to solve the same problem.
How
I. The Casio work with an algorithm or principle of BODMAS while The Android phone and other computers are programmed with an algorithm or operate with a principle of operator precedence.
How Does The Algorithm Work
With the above question here is the solution of bodmas and operator precedence solution.

I. BODMAS algorithm

6÷2(2+1) -First work is B "bracket"
6÷2(3) - second work is O "of"
6÷6 - third work is D "division"
Answer= 1.

II. OPERATOR PRECEDENCE algorithm
6/2(2+1) -first work is bracket, it has higher precedence than multiplication and division
6/2(3) -second work is division, because division and multiplication have the same number of precedence, therefore there is a rule that is applied to choose which one to apply first. The rule is left-to-right. Whenever two operators have the same number of precedence you work left-to-right.
3(3) -third work is multiplication
Answer= 9

Note: - I will advise, most especially students in secondary schools to use the one of the casio because that is what applies to bodmas which is used in secondary schools and University.
The one of Android phone is mostly used by computer science student.

In conclusion both the Casio and the Android Phone answer is correct.
❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌❌

The correct answer is 9. 1 is wrong.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by webm: 1:48am On Sep 08, 2020
That method used by the calculator is wrong. It's a method used more than 200 years ago.

If you have 6÷2(2+1).

The only thing inside the bracket that should be evaluated first is 2+1. Nothing else is inside bracket. In that case you have :
6÷2(3)
Now. Only 3 is inside bracket, you can open it and get

6÷2*3

According to BODMAS, Division before multiplication, so you have :
3*3 which is 9.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by WoundedLamb: 2:54am On Sep 08, 2020
A Computer Scientist's Explanation

To understand this, let's forget about the rather "complex" expression and work with a simplified version. The two actual equations to consider here are:

6÷2×3 = 3×3 = 9

AND

6÷2×3 = 6÷6 = 1

The basic issue here is, multiplication and division, which should come first when a change in priority leads to a change in output?

In mathematics, multiplication and division are on the same level and that is why their positions are interchangeable (BODMAS vs PEMDAS). This is also the case in programming (this is actually the case with any two operators that reverse each other). So it is safe to say the above equations are both correct. Casio is a bit more strict so it constantly put multiplication ahead for ease of computing while the Android calculator software simply goes with whichever one that comes first out of the two. Let's read a bit further to know which one is ACTUALLY correct.

Someone might ask, how can the same equation give the two different answers and both will be correct? Well, welcome to the programmer's world. You see, the correctness of an output isn't just a function of having a final figure but also a function of how closely the variables interpret the actual real life problems being solved. In the case above, if the two equation are meant to solve the same word problem, then one definitely has a logical error and one must know the word problem before one can tell which one is wrong. This is because when two operators are on the same level (which is always the case with any two operators that reverse each other), the acceptable grouping/order strictly depends on the items represented by individual variables. Since computers only work with variables, there's no way they would know this so they simply go with the one that comes first (or, as Casio did, strictly pick one ahead of the other). It is now left to the human users or programmers (who know the real life items these variables represent) to enforce the wanted grouping using brackets. These grouping could be based on the fact that a part of the expression is coming from another problem that must fully be solved before joining the remaining part or anything of as such actually.

So while the the two answers are correct in terms of hard figures, only one actually solves the problem and until we know the problem that led to the punching of calculators, we'd never really know which one.

NB: In an academic setting (secondary and primary schools) where the figures are just there for simulations and learning purposes only, please, go with Casio's result cause strictly putting multiplication ahead is a convention generally adopted for uniformity and outcome predictability provided the figures don't really represent anything.

Thanks

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by aysnoopy(m): 4:58am On Sep 08, 2020
WoundedLamb:

To understand this, let's forget about the rather "complex" expression and work with a simplified version. The two actual equations to consider here are:

6÷2×3 = 3×3 = 9

AND

6÷2×3 = 6÷6 = 1

The basic issue here is, multiplication and division, which should come first when a change in position leads to a change in output?

In mathematics, multiplication and division are on the same level and that is why their positions are interchangeable (BODMAS vs PEMDAS). This is also the case in programming (this is actually the case with any two operators that reverse eac other). So it is safe to say the above equations are both correct. Casio is a bit more strict so it constantly put multiplication ahead for ease of computing while the Android calculator software simply goes with whichever one that comes first out of the two. Let's read a bit further to know which one is ACTUALLY correct.

Someone might ask, how can the same equation give the two different answers and both will be correct? Well, welcome to the programmer's world. You see, the correctness of an output isn't just a function of having a final figure but also a function of how closely the variables interpret the actual real life problems being solved. In the case above, if the two equation are meant to solve the same word problem, then one definitely has a logical error and one must know the word problem before one can tell which one is wrong. This is because when two operators are on the same level (which is always the case with any two operators that reverse each other), the acceptable grouping/order strictly depends on the items represented by individual variables. Since computers only work with variables, there's no way they would know this so they simply go with the one that comes first (or, as Casio did, strictly pick one ahead of the other). It is now left to the human users or programmers (who know the real life items these variables represent) to enforce the wanted grouping using brackets. These grouping could be based on the fact that a part of the expression is coming from another problem that must fully be solved before joining the remaining part or anything of as such actually.

So while the the two answers are correct in terms of hard figures, only one actually solves the problem and until we know the problem that led to the punching of calculators, we'd never really know which one.

NB: In an academic setting (secondary and primary schools) where the figures are just there for simulations and learning purposes only, please, go with Casio's result cause strictly putting multiplication ahead is a convention generally adopted for uniformity and outcome predictability provided the figures don't really represent anything.

Thanks

This is d best answer.
In some cases, 9 is correct and in another case, 1 is correct.
I'm an engr and also once a physics teacher.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by femi4: 6:04am On Sep 08, 2020
BluntNigerian:
Guess What??
I don't even know what to say again.
Which of these two calculators got the correct answer??
Casio is wrong
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by timmykaydude: 6:22am On Sep 08, 2020
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Linus199(m): 6:45am On Sep 08, 2020
Emescot:
How is it possible to get 1 as the answer if you use BODMAS?
6/2(2+1)=6/2(3) =6/6= 1
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by sinkhole: 6:52am On Sep 08, 2020
Mr2kul:

Bro please how you set up the app on phone?
you need to have account with them. The registration with them is free and it does not depend on whether you have MATLAB installed or not.
The password and ID from the registered account will be used to setup the android APP.

Hope this helps?
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by taiwiki(m): 7:03am On Sep 08, 2020
The reason why both gave different answers is because the Casio calculator would not calculate until you press the equal to key, thereby following the BODMAS rule.

While the phone calculator calculates as you enter each figure without needing to click the equal to key.

But still both answers are right depending on how you see it.

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by DipoToyo(m): 7:26am On Sep 08, 2020
RubiesBanking:

This works because you covered the whole denominator with parentheses, so everything in the parentheses get solved first before the final solution, the confusion is when the parentheses is not involved.
However, it's gonna wrk.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by LadySarah: 7:46am On Sep 08, 2020
The answer is 1.
Take care of bracket. 2plus 1 equals 3.nect multiplication 3times 2 equals 6 then divide by 6 equals 1.
2+1*2 /6

MrShape,come and pay me for this answer
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Nopanties: 7:48am On Sep 08, 2020
taiwiki:
The reason why both gave different answers is because the Casio calculator would not calculate until you press the equal to key, thereby following the BODMAS rule.

While the phone calculator calculates as you enter each figure without needing to click the equal to key.

But still both answers are right depending on how you see it.
You had made sense but then you ruined the conclusion by saying both are correct. The correct answer is 1.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Nopanties: 7:51am On Sep 08, 2020
LadySarah:
The answer is 1.
Take care of bracket. 2plus 1 equals 3.nect multiplication 3times 2 equals 6 then divide by 6 equals 1.
2+1*2 /6

MrShape,come and pay me for this answer
You're also correct but why did you conclude by interchanging the numerator for the denominator
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by LadySarah: 7:57am On Sep 08, 2020
Nopanties:
You're also correct but why did you conclude by interchanging the numerator for the denominator
I didn't
2+1*3=6
6/6=1
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by DAramis: 8:16am On Sep 08, 2020
BluntNigerian:
Guess What??
I don't even know what to say again.
Which of these two calculators got the correct answer??

The calculator supposed to be in deg mode not the HI mode it is in.

To correct the anomaly, Click shift button and click the Ans button later to change the calculator's mode to the right one
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by AyarmBoye(m): 8:21am On Sep 08, 2020
Fiduciary:
I think that your Casio is faulty because all phone calculator is designed to solve algebra according to BODMAS

Therefore, the calculation on the phone is correct
nah nah if you calculate without calculator following bodmas...you will get 1...the android calculator is wrong
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by emmy512: 8:26am On Sep 08, 2020
Before you solve maths you should be able to arrange an equation properly, if it's not arranged properly, you will have issues.

6÷2 is a fraction, not a whole number, if it were a whole number the bodmas would have come into play. So we solve it first as a separate entity.
Then move to (2+1)
Then we have 3(3)=9
The answer can't be 1 except your calculator is not in degree mode.
I remember during my waec i had calculator set to radian answers were totally different from other people. The same calculator won't give you same answer when set to different mode, if you have it set to hex or any other number system but decimal it'll also affect the answer.
As far as decimal system is concerned answer is 9

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Mr2kul(m): 8:30am On Sep 08, 2020
sinkhole:
you need to have account with them. The registration with them is free and it does not depend on whether you have MATLAB installed or not.
The password and ID from the registered account will be used to setup the android APP.

Hope this helps?
Thanks... I got it
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Ivix(m): 8:36am On Sep 08, 2020
SegFault:

Programming languages use PEMDAS strictly which means there's no Of.
Oga PEMDAS and BODMAS are the same thing.
Either Multiplication or Division can be done first. Same as Addition and Subtraction, either can be done first. The correct answer to this question is 1.
The reason the phone's calculator gives 9 is because it operates your question as it's arranged. That means as one puts in a question, it begins to calculate even before you finish typing in the whole question.
A scientific calculator like Casio on the other hand uses mathematical laws like PEMDAS/BODMAS. So it gets the whole question and processes it before it gives an answer.

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by HopeAtHand: 8:59am On Sep 08, 2020
Seikiri1:
Both Are very Correct

Reasons
I. Both are programmed with different algorithms to solve the same problem.
How
I. The Casio work with an algorithm or principle of BODMAS while The Android phone and other computers are programmed with an algorithm or operate with a principle of operator precedence.
How Does The Algorithm Work
With the above question here is the solution of bodmas and operator precedence solution.

I. BODMAS algorithm

6÷2(2+1) -First work is B "bracket"
6÷2(3) - second work is O "of"
6÷6 - third work is D "division"
Answer= 1.

II. OPERATOR PRECEDENCE algorithm
6/2(2+1) -first work is bracket, it has higher precedence than multiplication and division
6/2(3) -second work is division, because division and multiplication have the same number of precedence, therefore there is a rule that is applied to choose which one to apply first. The rule is left-to-right. Whenever two operators have the same number of precedence you work left-to-right.
3(3) -third work is multiplication
Answer= 9

Note: - I will advise, most especially students in secondary schools to use the one of the casio because that is what applies to bodmas which is used in secondary schools and University.
The one of Android phone is mostly used by computer science student.

In conclusion both the Casio and the Android Phone answer is correct.

I wish I could buy u beer.
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by sureteeboy(m): 9:22am On Sep 08, 2020
WoundedLamb:

6÷2×3 = 3×3 = 9

AND

6÷2×3 = 6÷6 = 1

The basic issue here is, multiplication and division, which should come first when a change in position leads to a change in output?

In mathematics, multiplication and division are on the same level and that is why their positions are interchangeable (BODMAS vs PEMDAS). This is also the case in programming (this is actually the case with any two operators that reverse eac other). So it is safe to say the above equations are both correct. Casio is a bit more strict so it constantly put multiplication ahead for ease of computing while the Android calculator software simply goes with whichever one that comes first out of the two. Let's read a bit further to know which one is ACTUALLY correct.

Thanks

This is the most meaningful explanation most people failed to realise
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by taiwiki(m): 9:24am On Sep 08, 2020
Nopanties:
You had made sense but then you ruined the conclusion by saying both are correct. The correct answer is 1.
lols...that's why I said depending on how you look at it.

For me I'd go with 1 too
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 08, 2020
Ivix:

Oga PEMDAS and BODMAS are the same thing.
Either Multiplication or Division can be done first. Same as Addition and Subtraction, either can be done first. The correct answer to this question is 1.
The reason the phone's calculator gives 9 is because it operates your question as it's arranged. That means as one puts in a question, it begins to calculate even before you finish typing in the whole question.
A scientific calculator like Casio on the other hand uses mathematical laws like PEMDAS/BODMAS. So it gets the whole question and processes it before it gives an answer.
PEMDAS
Parenthesis first:
6/2(2+1); 2+1=3;

Exponent next:
No exponent

Multiplication: Multiplication and division have the same precedence therefore division has to be done first.
6/2(3); 6/2=3

Then Multiply lastly.
3*3=9;
Re: Can Someone Explain Why These Two Calculators Got Different Answers.. by Martinez39s(m): 10:37am On Sep 08, 2020
aysnoopy:

This is d best answer.
In some cases, 9 is correct and in another case, 1 is correct.
I'm an engr and also once a physics teacher.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked JESUS! How can an engineer and Physics teacher say this nonsense. According to principles of basic arithmetic, that question has one and only one answer which is 9. Getting 1 is due to ignorance and a wrong application of arithmetic.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The 2013 Top 100 Universities Ranking In Africa, Check Your Institution Here / NUC Currently Processing Applications For 303 Private Universities / (graphic Video) Indian Man Survives After Being Cut In Half By A Freight Train

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.