Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,905 members, 7,835,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! (5013 Views)

Ministry Receives N5bn For Clean Cookstoves Project, Says Minister / Northern Yam Farmers To Raise N5bn For Buhari’s Campaign / FCT Budgets N5bn For LovePeddlers, Destitutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by wales(m): 6:28am On Feb 23, 2011
Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Prof. Attahiru Jega on Tuesday requested the Senate to approve another N5 billion to enable his Commission laminate the voters’ cards. This was coming barely three weeks after he made similar request of additional N6.6 billion for an extension of the voters’ registration.

Jega, who appeared before the Senate Committee on INEC to defend the commission’s 2011 budget further requested for N63.1 million and N77 million for refreshment and honorarium respectively during the 2011 fiscal year.

This was even as the Budget Office proposed N2.7 billion to cover the exercise which the INEC boss described as far inadequate, stressing that nothing short of N5 billion would do the job.
According to Prof. Jega; “the commission will need N5 billion to convert an estimated 80 million voters’ cards to plastic cover. Each of the plastic cover is estimated to cost the commission N64. We will have difficulties with the 40 per cent cut in the N5 billion for the job, because we have registered 67.7 million Nigerians and will continue the exercise after the general elections.”

The INEC chairman also said the voters’ cards issued to those who were registered would only last for a maximum of two months but would last longer if laminated, adding that the commission registered 67.7 voters in the last exercise and already working on a timetable to continue with the voters’ registration immediately after the April general elections.

He further said the exercise would be repeated after 10 years to capture those who may had reached the voting age after the last exercise.
Prof. Jega also told the Senator Isiaka Adeleke-led committee that the commission would need another N450 million to cover donations and gifts to some agencies that already made presentations for sponsorship of capacity building workshops and seminars.
This was as he also said the commission would spend about N181 million on fueling and lubricants in addition to another N45 million on generators and plant for the 2011 fiscal year.

Similarly, the commission was expected to spend N22 million on local training while N270 million was reserved for foreign training in addition to another N180 million on local travel just as it would need N135 million for foreign tours.
Prof. Jega told the Senate committee that the slash in the commission’s 2011 budget was done by the Budget Office without consultation with the electoral body thus said that N51 billion earlier proposed was expected to put the commission in better position to deliver credible elections in April.

Link;http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/feb/23/national-23-02-2011-01.htm
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by wales(m): 6:30am On Feb 23, 2011

Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by texazzpete(m): 8:08am On Feb 23, 2011
INEC registered approx 67 million people. Dividing 5 billion naira by this number of people gives a unit cost per card of 73 Naira.

I don't think 73 Naira per card is too terrible a sum.

I'm not trying to defend INEC, but this is nowhere near as scandalous as the article paints it.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 23, 2011
Its a very reasonable price
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by monkeyleg: 10:53am On Feb 23, 2011
This is the problem with our people.

Was this project not properly scoped from begining? would properly securing the cards not have been an integral part of the whole process in the first place? It really get my goats when Nigerians start defending this rubbish.

This is plain fraud. How much have we now spent on this whole thing, in a country where a masssive proportion live on less than $1 a day.

I will be verhimently suggesting at some stage that Jega steps down and a proper audit is done. Nigerians have been duped once again
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by otokx(m): 10:55am On Feb 23, 2011
My voters card was laminated; why does he want to laminate it again?
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by monkeyleg: 10:58am On Feb 23, 2011
otokx:

My Brother it beats me, and some jokers are coming on here to defend it. This is just fraud, another avenue to fleece dry the already Mugu Nigerian public
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 11:36am On Feb 23, 2011
otokx:

Mine wasn't laminated come to think of it before most cards will be laminated they'll already be destroyed as they were printed with water based ink
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 23, 2011
Blink182,
just shut the fk up
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 23, 2011
Blink182,
just shut the fk up
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by 1025: 11:42am On Feb 23, 2011
INEC registered approx 67 million people. Dividing 5 billion naira by this number of people gives a unit cost per card of 73 Naira.

I don't think 73 Naira per card is too terrible a sum.

I'm not trying to defend INEC, but this is nowhere near as scandalous as the article paints it.

@texazzpete,
in ur wisdom, one will expect you to do the first thing first which will be to divide N87b by the 67 million voters registered in line with the photocopied papers then add the N6.6b.
do u know what it means asking for money everyday? first it was N87b, then N6.6b and now N5b. these are some of the steps in defrauding this useless country by pdp.
jega knew what it means telling us to release N200b which is his target at once so the best option will be to commit us and then since jonathan is this desperate to remain in power, whatsoever jega asks will be given.
a well organised jega/inec shld have come out with a run down estimate of what it will cost us to organise the next selection(sorry election) so that we will discuss that before getting involved.
are u assuring nigerians that this nonsense will end with platic id card? i know jega will ask for another N4b to put rope on the plastic id card.
all these are not part of the selection(sorry again election) propare.
instead of wasting all these funds and end up the same way we are used to, why can't we let pdp and jonathan continue until nigerians are ready to use the current means of change of leadership now - protest.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by jookco(m): 11:47am On Feb 23, 2011
This Jega is a pure fraud and must have made billions from this exercise.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 23, 2011
1025:

@texazzpete,
in your wisdom, one will expect you to do the first thing first which will be to divide N87b by the 67 million voters registered in line with the photocopied papers then add the N6.6b.
do u know what it means asking for money everyday? first it was N87b, then N6.6b and now N5b. these are some of the steps in defrauding this useless country by pdp.
jega knew what it means telling us to release N200b which is his target at once so the best option will be to commit us and then since jonathan is this desperate to remain in power, whatsoever jega asks will be given.
a well organised jega/inec shld have come out with a run down estimate of what it will cost us to organise the next selection(sorry election) so that we will discuss that before getting involved.
are u assuring nigerians that this nonsense will end with platic id card? i know jega will ask for another N4b to put rope on the plastic id card.
instead of wasting all these funds and end up the same way we are used to, why can't we let pdp and jonathan continue until nigerians are ready to use the current means of change of leadership now - protest.

I get your point, I'm really sorry for this country. . .PDP has to go by all means. Its come to the extent where we should vote BB not because we love them but cos we want all of our votes going in one direction to make sure pdp cannot win, if they dont have the presidency the massive decamping will result in other parties having a fairer share of govt come 2015
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by dave2(m): 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2011
Which voters' card is this thief laminating ?
Mine was not laminated, i had to laminate it on my own.
So, i should now bring it for them to re-laminate it abi shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This country is finished
Is unfortunate that some people here are backing Jega for requesting for additional N5b
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2011
texazzpete:

its been extremely interesting watching tp defend jega cheesy cheesy
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by solihu(m): 12:13pm On Feb 23, 2011
And the request continues,
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by dave2(m): 12:17pm On Feb 23, 2011
solihu:

And the request continues,

Yes ooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
What happens when the elections proper come
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 23, 2011
BoboYekini:

Blink182,
just shut the fk up
What, for airing fact? Moderator I'm being bullied, something has to be done else I'll strike back and change the discourse of this thread angry
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Muza(m): 12:30pm On Feb 23, 2011
1025:

@texazzpete,
in your wisdom, one will expect you to do the first thing first which will be to divide N87b by the 67 million voters registered in line with the photocopied papers then add the N6.6b.

bros u hav said it all, i'm beyond amazed why some ppl dont see anything wrong in this. I thought after Jega was given that N87.7bn naira,dats all that inec needed to conduct the entire election selection, and nothing will be heard again from them with regards to funds. But Jega is more than Oliver twist, asking for more and more and more, holding the Nigerian people to ransom.
I doubt if this is a case of poor project management this is pure fraud. Stop saying Jega is incompetent,he knows exactly what he is doing, Hes as corrupt as they come.
And they well never know and see peace.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by apoti(m): 12:31pm On Feb 23, 2011
I'm sure the next request will be  N7 billion to provide wallets for the cards.
7billion divided by 67million is just about N100 per voter which is a reasonable price  undecided

I weep for this country  cry
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Ekpoma1: 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2011
5b? Whaaaat? Damn it? My vote's card is already aliminated. This is a scam.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by banom(m): 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2011
Hahahahah, you guys are funny, this is the only one in a life time opportunity for the dubious Jega, and he is trying to make the best use out of it, if na you nko ?
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Hodaya(m): 12:48pm On Feb 23, 2011
Signs of poor management on the part of INEC under Jega is clear. This might not be related to corruption but poor planning is on top of that management list.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by dave2(m): 12:53pm On Feb 23, 2011
Hodaya:

Signs of poor management on the part of INEC under Jega is clear. This might not be related to corruption but poor planning is on top of that management list.

Abeg, go sidon jare grin grin grin grin
Which kind talk be that

Poor planning or management of funds indeed
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Rhino5dm: 12:54pm On Feb 23, 2011
Damn! we are not in China jega's head will have been parted from his body long ago.

Bloody Thives!
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Hodaya(m): 1:03pm On Feb 23, 2011
dave2:

Abeg, go sidon jare grin grin grin grin
Which kind talk be that

Poor planning or management of funds indeed

Pls we here to enlighten each other and possible channel a good part for our future through our votes and not blab without making any sense.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by LoveKing(m): 1:05pm On Feb 23, 2011
texazzpete:

[s]INEC registered approx 67 million people.[/s]

oh you do think so? funny.
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by mrofficial(m): 1:07pm On Feb 23, 2011
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

5b for plastic voters' card. Na gold dem go use?
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2011
this is guy is super rich is just how many months. what the Bleep does he need the money for ?
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by dave2(m): 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2011
Hodaya:

Pls we here to enlighten each other and possible channel a good part for our future through our votes and not blab without making any sense.

Sorry ooo cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
But am making sense please.

The truth, Jega has no justification for additional N5b funds my dear.
Many voters' cards have been laminated already; either during registration or after.
So, i find it repugnant
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 1:20pm On Feb 23, 2011
Jeja! Jega!! Jega!!

How many times did I call you?

I hope you know that election is only a part in running a nation? Are we going to declare bankrupcy after this exercise?

E jikwa m ogu o!
Re: Jega Requests N5bn For Plastic Voters’ Cards ! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 23, 2011
shocked Oh! that I had a gun to hunt these guys down and clean this mess. It's not just incompetency, it's daylight robbery. Ah! the lamentations of a truly concerned Nigerian. Interpol should do something if EFCC won't. Maybe we should do something instead. angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 10 Richest Pastors In The World / 4 Photos That Will Make U Fear The Idea Of Another Civil War / Finally Absolute Proof Buhari Is A Bigot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.