Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,639 members, 7,854,675 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 12:24 AM

Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? (1708 Views)

Starting A Home-based Travel Agency (NOT Typos!) / Just For Investors!!! / Nigerian Stock Market Investors Gain N175b (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by Tejuri(m): 7:57pm On Sep 09, 2020
Luftwaffe:

Oh thanks. And will it still work the same way for withdrawals? If yes, will it be credited to me in Naira?
Yeah, etoro will actually only let you withdraw the same way you deposited.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by Luftwaffe(f): 8:03pm On Sep 09, 2020
Tejuri:
Yeah, etoro will actually only let you withdraw the same way you deposited.
Nice.

Thanks.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by JBiden: 9:59pm On Sep 09, 2020
freeman67:

And for the records of you have a viable business run in a transparent manner. It's investors that will approach you to invest in it.

You clearly know nothing about investing.

Even a whole Facebook usually gets rejected by potential investors.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by SavageResponse(m): 2:14am On Sep 10, 2020
JBiden:

Let them come. Tbills are for them who have no balls.

At least with TB you know where your money is.

Most of these so called entrepreneurs are not even bold enough to risk their in money in their own projects.

They prefer to use another person's money to do experiment and when they loose the money they start giving bullshit excuses.

The business always looks go on paper until it's time to actually implement it
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by SavageResponse(m): 2:16am On Sep 10, 2020
JBiden:

He knows a lot more than you and it's very clear!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by SavageResponse(m): 2:20am On Sep 10, 2020
BlueOrange:

I've taken close to 600 pages of well documented research around the country to elites and brilliant minds. They said it was just a decoration to scam them. Since then, I've seen the average regular elite as uneducated, mentally poor to reason intelligently andogically hence their strong hold on the familiar 1/2% territory

I don't have the resources, but I believe wisdom is higher and will hold on to it till one day life smiles on me, but as for our people here financial unintelligence is the core problem

No one owes you any obligation to invest in your business especially since you're not even confident enough to put your own money in the business!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by JBiden: 5:43am On Sep 10, 2020
SavageResponse:

At least with TB you know where your money is.

Most of these so called entrepreneurs are not even bold enough to risk their in money in their own projects.

They prefer to use another person's money to do experiment and when they loose the money they start giving bullshit excuses.

The business always looks go on paper until it's time to actually implement it

Ah the tbills warriors.

I can already see how myopic your financial reasoning is.

"At least with TB you know where your money is" lol mehn, this guy.

Those who aren’t emotional are the best investors

It isn’t just buy and hold. It's about suppressing emotions(fear) and expressing rationale(intelligence). The amount of knowledge and analysis skills he or she has. The level of these two elements determines the level of ability in investing and a strong sense of business acumen too is always welcoming and helps you to asses if one investment is good or bad.

Truth be told, no one has a really good answer. There is no true science to investing, and certainly not for Private Equity/VC investments. VCs, on average, are even worse. Most of their investments are spread out among very unrelated assets and few, sometimes none, bring up truly superior returns.

Airbnb, uber, snapchat and spotify are bleeding heavily(not profitable) yet there are investors(VCs) pumping in millions into the company. I'm sure because you're sure of your tbills, you wouldn't even put money in these companies.

Anyhoo, what separates solid investors from the rest?

-Correct conceptual understanding of investing.
-Rationality
-Consistency
-Very sharp people reading skills
-Investigative skills too
-Patience

Oh, it should also interest you to know that getting funds from investors is more prudent than using your own money to run business. It's standard practice. Bezoz is a billionaire but he still relies on investors' funds(stocks) to run Amazon and blue origin.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by freeman67: 9:02am On Sep 10, 2020
JBiden:

You clearly know everything about investing...!

You could watch the film called SOCIAL NETWORK written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David fincher. It depicts the idea of how Facebook started. Mark did not start Facebook by cajoling total strangers to come and invest in ideas that he or those around him could not risk investing anything in.

The story of how the CEO of Dangote group started is in the open for everyone to see. He did not start cajoling total strangers to come and invest in what he can not proof the viability to them.

That said, you can also Google sources of startup finding/capital it is there for everyone to see. Even If an investment is viable every investors may not see it but eventually it will get the attention people that understands it.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by JBiden: 9:55am On Sep 10, 2020
freeman67:

You clearly know everything about investing...!

You could watch the film called SOCIAL NETWORK written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David fincher. It depicts the idea of how Facebook started. Mark did not start Facebook by cajoling total strangers to come and invest in ideas that he or those around him could not risk investing anything in.

The story of how the CEO of Dangote group started is in the open for everyone to see. He did not start cajoling total strangers to come and invest in what he can not proof the viability to them.

That said, you can also Google sources of startup finding/capital it is there for everyone to see. Even If an investment is viable every investors may not see it but eventually it will get the attention people that understands it.

What rubbish are you saying?

When you are pitching an idea to investors, aren't you trying to cajole total strangers to invest in your idea?

Do you know who ANGEL INVESTORS are?

Do you know how many times Zuckerberg's idea for Facebook was rejected? And it was a total stranger(Peter Thiel) that invested $500k in a bunch of school boys running fb then in their hostel room.

https://fortune.com/2011/01/11/timeline-where-facebook-got-its-funding/

"Mark did not start Facebook by cajoling total strangers to come and invest in ideas that he or those around him could not risk investing anything in." see if you don't understand the meaning of certain words, don't use it. When you take a risk on a certain venture or business, you put money knowing it's a 50/50 chances of success or failure. That why it's called RISK!

There is no way in heaven for you to know if a venture will be profitable or not because you cannot see the future e.g AskJeeves: a victim of the dotcom crash. But course, I'm sure I have to explain the dotcom crash to you too.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:18pm On Sep 10, 2020
Tejuri:
So I was with a few friends lately and we where all discussing about investments and I noticed those who are based in Nigeria mostly spoke of very low yielding investments like fixed deposits, one even left millions of naira in a savings account for 1-2% interest rate.

I understand being averse to risk but fixed deposits and having huge sums are simply making the bank richer at your expense.

I don’t know if it’s financial illiteracy or just plain old laziness. Making sound investment decisions isn’t magic, sometimes all you need to do is just watch the news and you will know what to do.

In the early days of the coronavirus pandemic in March, I bought 5 Amazon stock on eToro for $1820 each totaling just over $9000, I sold them last Thursday when Amazon stocks was at $3400, I turned $9000 into $17000 in 6 months.

I didn’t have a dream beforehand where I saw that Amazon stocks where going to blow up, but knowing there was a lockdown due to the virus, customers wouldn’t be able to go to physical stores for their needs, they have to turn to online stores, Amazon being the biggest in the US, they are where customers will turn to. Simple logic.

Conclusion is my people stay woke, bankers are getting rich with your money, why not be making that money by yourself. I saw in the news yesterday that top executives in Nigerian banks made 2.3 billion naira in interim dividends for the last fiscal year. It is your money you’re just keeping in the bank doing nothing that they trade with and get rich off. Take charge of your investments, watch news channels like Bloomberg tv and always keep yourself informed with happenings in the world of finance.

Different strokes for different folks.

Investors should invest in whatever suits their temperament, age, knowledge, experience, income and cash flow.

Treasury Bill or money market are actually not an investment but a saving scheme, which is not bad.

Anybody with savings is far better than 95% of Nigerians, just 2% of the population can conveniently live solely on the passive income from their Investments.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:20pm On Sep 10, 2020
freeman67:

When you develop an idea, you have to first of all believe in it. If you believe in your own idea, you will no wait untill total strangers come to invest in it. You have to first invest with all you have.

If all you have is not enough then you try to convince your family members and friends. If you or those categories of people do not believe in what you have to offer is it a total stranger that will want to come and invest his or hard earned money?

And for the records of you have a viable business run in a transparent manner. It's investors that will approach you to invest in it.

Ha ha ha, you have touched a nerve there and it hurts.

Return of my money is more important than returns on investment

1 Like

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:26pm On Sep 10, 2020
JBiden:

But was not rejected by his parents, sibblings, close friends etc.

When Peterside Atedo started Stanbic IBTC about 30 years, the first set of investors were his father, mother, high school mates, friends, relatives. He also sold his 2 cars in order to get the funds to invest in his dreams

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:28pm On Sep 10, 2020
SavageResponse:

No one owes you any obligation to invest in your business especially since you're not even confident enough to put your own money in the business!

Private Equity Investors , angel Investors, Investment Banking firms are looking for opportunities to invest in, provided they can meet up with their stringent conditions.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by freeman67: 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2020
JBiden:

What rubbish are you saying?

When you are pitching an idea to investors, aren't you trying to cajole total strangers to invest in your idea?

Do you know who ANGEL INVESTORS are?

Do you know how many times Zuckerberg's idea for Facebook was rejected? And it was a total stranger(Peter Thiel) that invested $500k in a bunch of school boys running fb then in their hostel room.

https://fortune.com/2011/01/11/timeline-where-facebook-got-its-funding/

"Mark did not start Facebook by cajoling total strangers to come and invest in ideas that he or those around him could not risk investing anything in." see if you don't understand the meaning of certain words, don't use it. When you take a risk on a certain venture or business, you put money knowing it's a 50/50 chances of success or failure. That why it's called RISK!

There is no way in heaven for you to know if a venture will be profitable or not because you cannot see the future e.g AskJeeves: a victim of the dotcom crash. But course, I'm sure I have to explain the dotcom crash to you too.

I do not know who ANGEL INVESTORS are but from your analogy, I will assume they are just investors looking for Investment to throw money at without due diligence.

I think Oga Emmanuel has already answered you on that. In a family, when growing up parents, siblings and relations observe our characters. If you demonstrate that you can handle responsibilities, you would see yourself being trusted with some. Some families sometimes sell land to invest in the ideas and dreams of their wards because they believe it will yield returns. First means of capital for Investment ideas is from your personal saving , then your family and friends before others.

Other means of most times is even for expansion of what is on with you ability to demonstrate that you can do more. That way, you will have proof that what you have is worth the risk.

I was was told you wrote the dictionary and as such understand all the words in it better than anyone. However, I will say individuals levels of risk tolerance are not and can never be the same. The man you came to defend want sham those subscribing to TB with minimal risk as against his own high Investment ideas that he and his family members are not even convinced enough about. Shaming and cajoling a total stranger into parting with his funds instead of convincing him/her or bounce if he/she is not interested because you know what you carry. Is that something to be crying from thread to thread about?
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by freeman67: 2:24pm On Sep 10, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Ha ha ha, you have touched a nerve their and it hurts.

Return of my money is more important than returns on investment

No so ooo. Small thing instead of sticking to the discussion they will want to bully someone off the thread because they sense you understand their tactics.

Yes ooo if I no get return, I no get back my money wetin I gain. Even if I get return I no come get my money back wetin I gain?

emmanuelewumi:

Private Equity Investors , angel Investors, Investment Banking firms are looking for opportunities to invest in, provided they can meet up with their stringent conditions.

No these ones have ability to scrutinize their activities and will put measures to checkmate and seize them if they try to be funny so they'll rather try to prey on the little savings some people have in TB.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by freeman67: 2:41pm On Sep 10, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/6108474/duped-whatsapp-tv-how-recovered

This are the kind of ideas that emanate from lots of them for investors these days. If this guy doesn't have the initiative of contacting his bank now he would have been made an unfortunate and unwilling ANGEL INVESTOR.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:31pm On Sep 10, 2020
Investment is quite fun, sweet and interesting especially when the returns on the investment is continuous and on an autopilot.

When you are enjoying returns on your Investments, you are less bothered about what other people are investing their funds on.

If you are concerned about other people's Investments, it means you are not having fun and peace of mind will your Investments

1 Like

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 11, 2020
Tejuri:
So I was with a few friends lately and we where all discussing about investments and I noticed those who are based in Nigeria mostly spoke of very low yielding investments like fixed deposits, one even left millions of naira in a savings account for 1-2% interest rate.

I understand being averse to risk but fixed deposits and having huge sums are simply making the bank richer at your expense.

I don’t know if it’s financial illiteracy or just plain old laziness. Making sound investment decisions isn’t magic, sometimes all you need to do is just watch the news and you will know what to do.

In the early days of the coronavirus pandemic in March, I bought 5 Amazon stock on eToro for $1820 each totaling just over $9000, I sold them last Thursday when Amazon stocks was at $3400, I turned $9000 into $17000 in 6 months.

I didn’t have a dream beforehand where I saw that Amazon stocks where going to blow up, but knowing there was a lockdown due to the virus, customers wouldn’t be able to go to physical stores for their needs, they have to turn to online stores, Amazon being the biggest in the US, they are where customers will turn to. Simple logic.

Conclusion is my people stay woke, bankers are getting rich with your money, why not be making that money by yourself. I saw in the news yesterday that top executives in Nigerian banks made 2.3 billion naira in interim dividends for the last fiscal year. It is your money you’re just keeping in the bank doing nothing that they trade with and get rich off. Take charge of your investments, watch news channels like Bloomberg tv and always keep yourself informed with happenings in the world of finance.
See this ode. Amazon stock that is the easiest momentum stock to buy, like anyone needs to do research before buying the stocks of probably the richest company on earth. Why not tell us about buying Peloton or Telsa when it was $133 and we may take a you a little serious.
Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by Wickedfact: 9:00am On Sep 11, 2020
BlueOrange:

Dude, Fvcking Get Lost You obsessed nitwit. Save your counsel for your younger ones. For now quit being obsessed with me and take the Left turn. I repeat keep being obsessed with me like your existence is wrapped around my truth. You gay

JBiden come and see them o

Healthserve, Kunleweb you have come again.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by Tejuri(m): 10:43am On Sep 11, 2020
binghamm:

See this ode. Amazon stock that is the easiest momentum stock to buy, like anyone needs to do research before buying the stocks of probably the richest company on earth. Why not tell us about buying Peloton or Telsa when it was $133 and we may take a you a little serious.
I was going to ignore your classless response, but I’d give you a pass this one time. Read what I said in the post, I said all you have to do is watch the news and know whats happiness in the world of finance and you should be good.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Home Based Nigerians Such Terrible Investors? by ayummy(m): 4:39pm On Sep 11, 2020
Please invest in my fashion company and get 20% ROI in 12months

(1) (2) (Reply)

MMM / A Global Platform To Earn in Dollars Doing Surveys / Get These 10 Things Right And People Will Always Patronize You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.