Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Oil Discovered In Ghana - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Discovered In Ghana (8427 Views)

Poll: Do you care and does this matter?

Yes: 69% (30 votes)
No: 30% (13 votes)
This poll has ended

Oil Discovered In Lagos / Oil Discovered In Sokoto State / Crude Oil Discovered In Ara Orin, Kwara State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by champredd(m): 7:38pm On Jun 23, 2007
There are a lot of country in the world with little or no mineral resources whose economy are healthy. A good example is Japan - the second largest economy in the world after USA.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by ono(m): 3:26pm On Jun 24, 2007
Well, this is good news for Ghana. I understand the discovery was made offshore the country's coast - in the Atlantic.  This will definitely help buoy their economy somehow. But the volume is not that much. They should step up their exploration activities in their area and prolly hit more volmes over there.

I would really like a situation where oil is discovered everywhere in West Africa. That will reduce militarisation and maybe help to persuade the leech currently sucking us dry in the Delta to back off.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by WesleyanA(f): 8:30am On Jun 25, 2007
Good news.
but i hope Ghana learns from our experience and use their new resource WISELY.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by jenny2007(f): 8:40am On Jun 25, 2007
this is just a silly rumor! Ghana is as infertile as the Arabian deserts. that country has been trying to compete with nigeria for a very long time. i first heard this rumor in late 2005 that oil was discovered there, then i read that it was only worth about $70,000 a day's export - meaning that it is not even going to be exportable becos even Ghanaian's need more than that a day. those people depend on us, Nigeria. OBJ use to give them tax-free oil which they do not need to repay for the first six months. i don't think that Yar'dua has continued doing the same and now i hear that they only now have electricity in Ghana for about 6hrs a day. I'm being honest here, there isn't any oil there in Ghana. they've got cocoa and gold and make so much noise about it. i thought they had they largest cocoa resources in Africa, but i apparently discovered that it is Ivory Coast that tops the list. The top of the list for gold too is south africa. As for Naija - we've got loads of resources that we don't even remember them cos everyone is rushing for the oil. what happened to the coal from enugu, cocoa and palm oil from abia, and other discovered (but abandoned) resources in Naija. why is everyone fighting for oil? we don't want an Iraq in Africa pls!
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by jenny2007(f): 8:45am On Jun 25, 2007
even Ghanaians doubt this story. see http://www.accra-mail.com/mailnews.asp?id=1501
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by ralphorb(m): 8:56am On Jun 25, 2007
Ghanian oil discovery is a very good news, perharps having 600million Brl is good too, also Libya extract more than 600Million Brl of crude oil, but there is sulphur in the oil which is not needed for mechanical engines, such as knocking down engines. So lets wait and see what comes out from Ghanian oil, if there would be any other entaglement in their oil discovery because laboratory test news is not yet out of the qualitify of the oil discovered.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Ndipe(m): 9:03am On Jun 25, 2007
Now, who is telling the truth?
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by ono(m): 9:55am On Jun 25, 2007
I wanted to ask thesame question.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by denex: 10:21am On Jun 25, 2007
@jenny2007

Oil has truly been found in Ghana. It was first discovered a couple of years ago but not in commercial quantities. So they kept exploring and now they've found large enough deposits that's why they are celebrating now.

Thank God. Now US can take their Military Base there and colonise Ghana. Nigeria cannot have two colonial masters at the same time. China and USA cannot captain Nigeria's ship together O! So thank God for Ghana and I hope they are ready for media bashing from the west.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by enolase(m): 11:35am On Jun 25, 2007
BAD NEWS FOR NIGERIAN LEADERS WHO ONLY KNOW HOW TO SIPHON SUCH MONIES TO THEIR POCKETS.

Good news for the rest of Nigeria.

Studies have estimated that at the present rate fo exploration, Nigeria's oil will run out in 30 years.

That should be some food for thought for the relevant bodies.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by whiteroses(f): 11:54am On Jun 25, 2007
i can smell somebody is jealous of ghana it's not posing any threat to we nigerians, lets thanks God at least we are al africans at leastest west africans, Ghana deserve to be the giant of africa, that contry is growing slowly with no corruption especially now that there is oil, they are nearly perfect because there is no violence in ghana, no bribing and corruption, no eveil geniuses. the only disadvantage is that nigerians will start running to ghana now wherever nigerians see a little ease they'll all rush there and who will take care of the country
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by fun4me2(f): 12:57pm On Jun 25, 2007
hiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Everbright(f): 1:22pm On Jun 25, 2007
Good for Ghana
I'm very happy for them
Let Nigeria be challenged
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by BigB11(m): 2:15pm On Jun 25, 2007
Please, please guys, let us all calm down for a moment. Nobody is jealous of Ghana, there is no need for us to disown our country and absolutely no need to give away our crown.
Nigeria remains the Giant of Africa.

Let's wish Ghanaians well and pray for our country, Nigeria to ascend back to the top as soon as possible.

There is light at the end of the tunnel; there is no need to panic.

One love!
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by talk2ahmed(m): 3:04pm On Jun 25, 2007
Well Ghana is really lucky. Thank God for them, it doesnt pay a country with abundant superfluity of heavenly endowment to squander its resources, flare gas indiscriminately, devalue theenvironment, care less about the education of its citizenry, while its neighbour gather in intellectualism and really investing in Knowledge. Remember we lost Bakassi to Cameroun. We can continue to boast . but sure one day, Ghana will wear the crown of Africa. I'm still a Nigerian-Inside out ,up, down,in & out,BUT THIS IS THE SIMPLE TRUTH
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by gidson12(m): 3:35pm On Jun 25, 2007
yea, i like it, , no, no, no i really Love it, Ghana has been a country utilizing every little potential and resources they've good, yea its really a Good news 4 them, at least this would make our Country(Nigeria) wake up from our death like slumber, i really Love this
its a Good news guys be happy 4 our sister country cos they are really making a steady progress, remember when they where shoe menders here, now where are they, all gone back to contribute to the development of there motherland grin
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by champredd(m): 5:13pm On Jun 25, 2007
Lets hope and pray that they will manage it very well. That is another Nigerian burden gone.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by DisGuy: 5:33pm On Jun 25, 2007
whiteroses:

i can smell somebody is jealous of ghana it's not posing any threat to we nigerians, lets thanks God at least we are al africans at leastest west africans, Ghana deserve to be the giant of africa, that contry is growing slowly with no corruption especially now that there is oil, they are nearly perfect because there is no violence in ghana, no bribing and corruption, no eveil geniuses. the only disadvantage is that nigerians will start running to ghana now wherever nigerians see a little ease they'll all rush there and who will take care of the country

yea i noticed that too, they dont have as much as we do but people are already knocking it j2000 na wa for you o, you heard this and that tongue mind your own bizness since its just a little
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by MP007(m): 5:41pm On Jun 25, 2007
dont give a dam!
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by soulpatrol(f): 5:49pm On Jun 25, 2007
ha ha see beef o. cheesy
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by niyyie(m): 6:01pm On Jun 25, 2007
Straightening a few things out here based on some of the stuff I have read so far.

1. Ghana desperately needs oil for at least two solid reasons: a) Savings on forex used in importing crude oil b) Generating much-needed electricity
2. The quantity of oil discovered so far is not much and will not last long.
3. Ghana has gold in abundance but has nothing much to show for it. The parts of Ghana where gold is mined are in very deplorable state due to the destruction of the ecology by the mining activities. I don't see what will change if oil revenue comes in.
4. There is much corruption in Ghana. Much of it is hidden, as the govt keeps denying and saying corruption is only perceived. There is corruption everywhere. The only thing is, its much lesser, compared to Nigeria.
5. The people known as Nigerians today have been coming to the place known as Ghana today, and vice-versa, before the white man landed on the shores of West Africa. So, its not very true that Nigerians have only been flooding Ghana in recent times.
6. Ghana is not comparable to Nigeria. There are differences and similarities, due to the fact that were both colonized by Great Britain. Nigeria's population is about 7 times that of Ghana. Nigeria's total land mass is about 4 times that of Ghana. Ghana sees Nigeria as a big brother despite the fact that Nigeria doesn't rank well in so many things. If things were alright with Nigeria, we'd be comparing her to Malaysia, Russia, Spain, South Africa etc. but things are not well with Nigeria thus the comparison with Ghana! cry
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by champredd(m): 6:11pm On Jun 25, 2007
@niyyie
Na true you dey talk.
If Naija better today, the standard of living across West Africa is goin to increase significantly, unless we have a Zimbabwe or Sudan in the sub-region.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Echidime(m): 7:45pm On Jun 25, 2007
Is a good news,how i wish all african countries can have OIL deposits in their country. For those of you saying is a bad news for nigeria,how much are you benefiting from the oil in nigeria?

Without Oil ghana has develop alot,accra is getting beautiful day by day,I wish them well,and I pray to GOD not to allow Niger Delta crisis come upon Ghana because of the oil.

They will start enjoying the oil in the next seven years according to the company that found the oil deposits. it was on BBc news and John Kufour their president was interview and he said he is happy at least it will be on records as the Ghanaian president whose tenur oil was found in Ghana.

So it is real and God will help them.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by oludunamis(m): 7:47pm On Jun 25, 2007
ghana's discovery shud not be seen as  a threat. it may probably take another 10-15yrs before apprecaible reserves are discovered.

angola, egypt, algeria, tunisia and libya are all prolific producers yet they still not compared to naija.

despite unrest and production cuts in the nigerdelta, oil coys are still investing billions of dollars there.

i pray that one day we can manage things properly. nigerdelta is prolific and still lot on undiscovered oil reserves, and they are easy to develop unlike canada and russia where it is pretty difficult sometimes because of the extreme weaher condition (siberia) or unconventional finds (oil sands in canada)

we have not even started in the offshore sector, the reserves there is monstrous, bonga, agbami, etc are just tip of the iceberg

so ghana is still like 20-30 behind, anglola is the bomb, i cant believe the discoveries there, if they continue at that rate, their reserves will meet up with naija in another say 10 yrs

YARADUA, pls settle ND people and solve their problem, dont be insensitive, bear in mind that without ND all the money wey all of u dey still no go dey there oh

Naija will be great again
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by DisGuy: 9:06pm On Jun 25, 2007
. Ghana is not comparable to Nigeria. There are differences and similarities, due to the fact that were both colonized by Great Britain. Nigeria's population is about 7 times that of Ghana. Nigeria's total land mass is about 4 times that of Ghana. Ghana sees Nigeria as a big brother despite the fact that Nigeria doesn't rank well in so many things. If things were alright with Nigeria, we'd be comparing her to Malaysia, Russia, Spain, South Africa etc. but things are not well with Nigeria thus the comparison with Ghana!

we are not even compared to South africa,Egypt, and co we are being compared with Ghana cry cry cry
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by OroGojigo(f): 10:56pm On Jun 25, 2007
Hopefully oil go do Ghana more good than harm provided dem no follow dem brother footstep
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by yarodin: 11:30pm On Jun 25, 2007
Good luck to Ghana and their new found wealth, hopefully their elites don't decide to take the route Nigeria took.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Free(f): 1:14am On Jun 26, 2007
Am a Ghanaian and i must say

I was happy when i heard the news
i do think it would help my countries economy
only and if only its used wisely and the money doesn't end up in the hands
of greedy politicians, Ghana is already developing n' the oil could even take Us to
a new level.

I do pray that we be an example in Africa

God bless Ghana and Africa grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by Nobody: 1:15am On Jun 26, 2007
that is if the oil lasts more than a yr of prospecting. At 2 million barrels a day your oil will only last 300 days!
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by debosky(m): 1:18am On Jun 26, 2007
the oil will last for a while, they cannot produce one reserve at 2million bpd, its more reasonable to expect 100-200,000 bpd

and that will last them for a couple of years. if used wisely to reduce Ghana's dependence on foreign donors, it will help the country boost its growth rate above where it stands now.
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by MP007(m): 3:26am On Jun 26, 2007
soulpatrol:

ha ha see beef o. cheesy

what da? no be africa? it aint gonna do ghana no good, ur leaders will stil work their pocket, na today?
Re: Oil Discovered In Ghana by tysalihu: 12:14pm On Jun 26, 2007
so oil has been found in Ghana,beatiful, Ghana has just only a while ago ; celebrated its 100th year without power outages and now they've found oil,perharps now Nigerians and our leaders willsit up and know that we are only the giant of Africa BY POPULATION ONLY and not human resource. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Don't We See Original Niger Deltans Aligning With Igbo's? / APC Accuses PDP, Atiku Of Sponsoring Smear Campaign Against Buhari / AEDC Raises Collection To N6bn, Captures 1.1m Customers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.