Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,373 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism (4607 Views)

I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Sahara Reporters Accuse Buhari Of Tribalism Over NIMASA DG Controversy / If You Could Rid Nigeria One Thing,what Could It Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Beaf: 9:19pm On Feb 23, 2011
[size=14pt]Jonathan promises to rid Nigeria of tribalism[/size]
News Feb 23, 2011
CHIDI NKWOPARA

OWERRI— President Goodluck Jonathan, has promised to build a Nigeria where everywhere will be home for every Nigerian citizen, irrespective of tribe, religion or state of origin if he was voted into power during April elections.

Dr. Jonathan, who made the promise in Owerri while flagging off the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, campaign in Imo State, also warned that there would be unimaginable crisis if youths were not adequately provided for in the next 10 years.

“We stand for the unity of this country. We are going to run a government where we will not discriminate against anybody, irrespective of your tongue, religion, nationality or your place of birth,” Jonathan said.

He also expressed hope that his administration would create a Nigeria where every citizen will have equal rights and justice, stressing that the issue of marginalization would be removed in the country.

“We hope to work with you to recreate the consciousness and awareness that any son or daughter of Nigeria, from Owerri to Enugu, Ibadan, Katsina or Maiduguri, will have equal rights in Nigeria. You will get whatever you deserve, whatever you are qualified to get and nobody will discriminate against you. That is our aspiration. That is our commitment,” the President said.

He also disclosed that the federal government had a number of infrastructural development projects going on in Imo State, adding that government would continue with it until the entire nation was transformed.

“We have a nation of about 150 million. Seventy percent of this figure are people under the age of 30 and 50 percent of them are very young people, under the age of 19. So, we must prepare for this coming generation of youths, otherwise in the next 10 years, we will have crisis on our hands,” Jonathan said.

It was the considered view of the President that “to do this, the nation must industrialize and we must encourage commercial agriculture, and that is why we are emphasizing on power generation.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/jonathan-promises-to-rid-nigeria-of-tribalism/
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Afam4eva(m): 9:20pm On Feb 23, 2011
At least there's hope for people like fstanger, seanet, bluetooth et al.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by aljharem11(m): 9:23pm On Feb 23, 2011
first of all, how does he intend to do this when his people are kidnapping traditional leaders and are protesting for anemesty money as if they can not work for money themselves like other nigerians.

secondly, if he does not make basic amenties in nigeria avalible for nigerians, then tribalism will never end,.,,.,.

rubbish
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Chyz2: 9:28pm On Feb 23, 2011
Could this be a metaphor for "I'm going to make nigeria disintegrate"?
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by ekubear1: 9:37pm On Feb 23, 2011
Chyz*:

Could this be a metaphor for "I'm going to make nigeria disintegrate"?
grin grin grin grin

That is probably the only way to end tribalism, lol.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by ekubear1: 9:44pm On Feb 23, 2011
double
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Chyz2: 9:44pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

grin grin grin grin

That is probably the only way to end tribalism, lol.

I mean the guy has to stop making dumb comments like this,lol. Too bad zoology doesn't reguire speech 101 or a poli-sci course. Image if Canada, U.S., and Mexico was forced into 1 country you can imagine the chaos, when it comes to electing presidents and other officials, there would be.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 23, 2011
The best way to do that is to break the country apart.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Muza(m): 9:48pm On Feb 23, 2011
I'll take this with a pinch of salt since its coming from a President who exonerated MEND and also called SW rascals.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by jason123: 9:49pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

Nah, I don't like Beaf's sycophantic attitude of GEJ, but it isn't really for ethnic reasons, imo. He is against the existing power structure mostly, and he believes that GEJ is the best bet to change things.

How can he (GEJ) change the existing power structure when he benefitted and was the product of that same structure? How can he change the structure if he wines and dines with the people that made the structure
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Beaf: 9:49pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

Nah, I don't like Beaf's sycophantic attitude of GEJ, but it isn't really for ethnic reasons, imo. He is against the existing power structure mostly, and he believes that GEJ is the best bet to change things.

You hit the button. Thanks.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by aljharem11(m): 9:50pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

Nah, I don't like Beaf's sycophantic attitude w.r.t. GEJ, but it isn't really for ethnic reasons, imo. He is against the existing power structure mostly, and he believes that GEJ is the best bet to change things.

no i know it not because of ethnic reason,

the reason he is dating GEJ balls is because he has a connection with him and he will benefit from his government

may he is his child, cousin, political related,.,. there is a connection trust me,.i know

that is why people like him are bas.tards because they do not want the nation to grow instead they put there interest first
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by aljharem11(m): 9:52pm On Feb 23, 2011
Muza:

I'll take this with a pinch of salt since its coming from a President who exonerated MEND and also called SW rascals.

na gode
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Chyz2: 9:53pm On Feb 23, 2011
Muza:

I think he pretty much bad mouths the whole country all in one speech really. He called to SW the most educated, or something like that. This implies that the rest of us are dumb and Eff the SE for always having the highest test scores and graduates in nigeria,ect. He really need to watch his words because his speech pissed a lot of us off.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by jason123: 9:57pm On Feb 23, 2011
@ Eku-bear
I am waiting . . . . . . . .

jason123:

How can he (GEJ) change the existing power structure when he benefitted and was the product of that same structure? How can he change the structure if he wines and dines with the people that made the structure
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Beaf: 9:59pm On Feb 23, 2011
We still await the rest of NL's tribalist gangs to congregate.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Afam4eva(m): 10:01pm On Feb 23, 2011
Beaf:

This time around they will tear GEJ into shreds. This is bad for their business na. wetin sef. Man must wack.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by aljharem11(m): 10:02pm On Feb 23, 2011
Beaf:

why try to invite them,.mumu

why can't u start a thread without been biased
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by ekubear1: 10:02pm On Feb 23, 2011
jason123:

@ Eku-bear
I am waiting . . . . . . . .

It is a good question. I don't necessarily agree that GEJ can do it. In part because he seems very gaffe prone. And practically speaking, he isn't going to get the job done unless he co-opts the SW (or NW, which seems impossible.)

I dunno man. I'm not saying I agree with Beaf. But I understand his perspective.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Rhino5dm: 10:04pm On Feb 23, 2011
keep on drumming "Ogidi the Drummer"  

Beaf:

Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by jason123: 10:04pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

Nah, I don't like Beaf's sycophantic attitude w.r.t. GEJ, but it isn't really for ethnic reasons, imo. He is against the existing power structure mostly, and he believes that GEJ is the best bet to change things.

Dapo, I guess you cannot answer that question and the truth is most Nigerians cannot answer the question. Nigerians especially from the SW and SS expected change when GEJ said he was going to constest. I can still remmeber how NL was bubbling with JOY over GEJ. Then what changed? He started having meeting with Ciroma, brought MEND to ASO ROCK ( although, I see nothing wrong in that because those guyys have suffered so much), gaffe after gaffe, he is planing to make a deal with the Ciroma, Ibb and Atiku etc. Can you see that this was not the same guy we all supported and loved. Can you see that this was not the same man that we all said was from "God". Can you see all these things?
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by ladi02(m): 10:06pm On Feb 23, 2011
All talk, tries to say what Nigerians want to hear with no plans or blueprint on how to achieve it. .Clueless PDP government!
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by jason123: 10:10pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

It is a good question. I don't necessarily agree that GEJ can do it. In part because he seems very gaffe prone. And practically speaking, he isn't going to get the job done unless he co-opts the SW (or NW, which seems impossible.)

I dunno man. I'm not saying I agree with Beaf. But I understand his perspective.

I saw this late.

I definitely see things from Beaf's point of view. I mean, I was part of the "GEJ's supporters club" until he started disappointing me CONSTANTLY. Now, why should I support such man? Is it because he is my ethnic neighbour? or because he is going to fix Nigeria? I always take Nigeria first before anything and I have nothing to lose if GEJ becomes the president, in fact, it is the opposite  wink undecided . But the thing is, my conscience does not allow me to just close my eyes and see Nigerians walk into another PDP trap.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by ekubear1: 10:16pm On Feb 23, 2011
jason123:

I saw this late.

I definitely see things from Beaf's point of view. I mean, I was part of the "GEJ's supporters club" until he started disappointing me CONSTANTLY. Now, why should I support such man? Is it because he is my ethnic neighbour? or because he is going to fix Nigeria? I always take Nigeria first before anything and I have nothing to lose if GEJ becomes the president, in fact, it is the opposite  wink undecided . But the thing is, my conscience does not allow me to just close my eyes and see Nigerians walk into another PDP trap.
Hrm. The PDP has changed dramatically, has it not? It has lost the SW, will likely lose the NW, NE and chunks of the NC.

I'm starting to think that the days of the old, centralist PDP are no more.

I dunno man. I'm pretty conflicted on this issue.

Anyway, what is the worst that can happen if GEJ becomes president?
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by aljharem11(m): 10:17pm On Feb 23, 2011
jason123:

I saw this late.

I definitely see things from Beaf's point of view. I mean, I was part of the "GEJ's supporters club" until he started disappointing me CONSTANTLY. Now, why should I support such man? Is it because he is my ethnic neighbour? or because he is going to fix Nigeria? I always take Nigeria first before anything and[b] I have nothing to lose if GEJ becomes the president, in fact, it is the opposite[/b]  wink undecided . But the thing is, my conscience does not allow me to just close my eyes and see Nigerians walk into another PDP trap.

if only beaf and others can have a good conscience like this cry cry cry smh
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by jason123: 10:21pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

Hrm. The PDP has changed dramatically, has it not? It has lost the SW, will likely lose the NW, NE and chunks of the NC.

I'm starting to think that the days of the old, centralist PDP are no more.

I dunno man. I'm pretty conflicted on this issue.

Anyway, what is the worst that can happen if GEJ becomes president?

. . . . . . . Another wasted 4 years and the continuation of the "mornachy". Do you not sense this as a way to deny igbos any political power Can you still remember the Shagari and Ekueme's* era That is why I just cannot stop laughing at people like Onlytruth. There is a saying, " Once bitten, twice shy" but I guess that does not work in their dictionary ( no offence to the igbos).
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by ekubear1: 10:29pm On Feb 23, 2011
jason123:

. . . . . . . Another wasted 4 years and the continuation of the "mornachy". Do you not sense this as a way to deny igbos any political power Can you still remember the Shagari and Ekueme's* era That is why I just cannot stop laughing at people like Onlytruth. There is a saying, " Once bitten, twice shy" but I guess that does not work in their dictionary ( no offence to the igbos).

I wasn't alive during Shagari, so don't know much about that time. And honestly I don't care if Igbos get political power or not.

Anyway, if GEJ fixes power in Nigeria and stops the antagonistic attitude of the FG towards Lagos (in particular provides more money towards developing it), then I'll support him.

I dunno what GEJs problem is. Didn't he see the #s Jega pulled out?  undecided He needs to start hunting for votes, fast. . . not saying all this "rascal" nonsense. Those rascals are likely his only path towards the presidency.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:35pm On Feb 23, 2011
GEJ's anti-tribalistic attitude will provide a nice, convenient cover for Ijaw expansionism and power-grabbing.
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by aljharem11(m): 10:37pm On Feb 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

[size=18pt]GEJ's anti-tribalistic attitude will provide a nice, convenient cover for Ijaw expansionism and power-grabbing.

[/size]

gbam
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by ekubear1: 10:42pm On Feb 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

GEJ's anti-tribalistic attitude will provide a nice, convenient cover for Ijaw expansionism and power-grabbing.

Et tu, PhysicsMHD? You were a fan of GEJ not too long ago grin
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by Olaedo1: 10:42pm On Feb 23, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

We yorubas will not fold are arms. angry
Re: Jonathan Promises To Rid Nigeria Of Tribalism by jason123: 10:44pm On Feb 23, 2011
eku_bear:

I wasn't alive during Shagari, so don't know much about that time. And honestly I don't care if Igbos get political power or not.

Anyway, if GEJ fixes power in Nigeria and stops the antagonistic attitude of the FG towards Lagos (in particular provides more money towards developing it), then I'll support him.

I dunno what GEJs problem is. Didn't he see the #s Jega pulled out?  undecided He needs to start hunting for votes, fast. . . not saying all this "rascal" nonsense. Those rascals are likely his only path towards the presidency.

That is where you are wrong. GEJ does not need the SW or/and the NW votes! Why? because he would still rig win the election. Please, I am not saying he determines the rigging but his associates (OBJ, Ciroma, Ibb, Atiku etc and  . . . hopefully Ibori and Bode George) would help him out VOLUNTARILY. GEJ is a good guy as most NDeltaens are but he is surrounded by corruption and Nepotism, hence, he made the speech about "do not rig for me". Remember, "Bad habit corrupt good minds" also "show me your friends and I can tell you who you are". The guy cannot make an impact, not because of his ethnicity or cconsciencebut because of his company.

About Lagos and indeed the SW and/ NW, I really see violence if the rest of the country goes against the popular wish of the people in those regions. Imagine if PDP wins Lagos just because igbos voted for him  undecided lipsrsealed I really see a dark cloud over that region if that happens and imagine if CPC loses Kaduna just because of igbo or yoruba votes. Dark days my brother because there would be an increased level of insecurity and paranoia among the indigenes. As Ezeuche and Ohaneze ( or igbo leaders of the SW (not sure undecided) said), they should not get involved in the violence. But man, I really am scared for the people caught in the wrong regions during and after the elections.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Stop Funding Pilgrimages / Statistics Of The Biafrian War: What Chance Does Odua /arewa Military Have? / Fellers This Is A Prison Cell In Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.