Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,127 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

5 Ways To Make People Like You At Your Place Of Work - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Ways To Make People Like You At Your Place Of Work (568 Views)

People Like Nnamdi Kanu And Sambo Dasuki Do Not Deserve Bail – Buhari / Fuel Crisis : How Much Is A Litre Of Fuel At Your Place? / "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Make People Like You At Your Place Of Work by mrinfo(m): 12:12am On Feb 24, 2011
It is somewhat an innate need for everybody to feel wanted and loved. There are many gains to getting people to like you. If you are career person it surely helps you get closer to your dream of promotion and fatter pay packets. For the business person it can translate to more business deals especially if you are in sales.

No one can get everybody to like him or her but at least here are tips to make more people like you in the course of your business dealings;

Smile More Often
: Until recently I never realized my face was scaring some people away from getting closer to me. A certain lady sometime ago, after laughing at a joke I had told, remarked that she never knew I was so easy going and funny to be with. I asked why. She returned that from a distance she mistrusted me at first on account of my stiff face and commented that she never saw me smiled. According to her she initially withdrew from getting close because of the observation she made about my countenance.

Now I didn’t frown on purpose. I almost unconsciously left my face squeezed and sad looking. Then I started taking more care with my countenance, frowning when I needed to and not every time. Smiling more will open doors more for you. Your staff will be more able to approach with sensitive problems which otherwise they may have hidden from you if you had that air of sadness and bitterness.

Render Help
: I always illustrated the power of helping with this short story. A certain young, brilliant man got a job as a junior faculty lecturer in a higher institution. The first day he went into the office of his Head of Department he met the woman toiling with a load of paper work. He offered to help but the woman politely refused (even though it was plain that she needed help with the work). He insisted and took away more than half of the files. A few hours later he was back with the completed work. Her relief was evident as she thanked him. The young man continued helping his Head of Department and soon got himself endeared to her.

A vacancy resulted when the department exams officer left. Being a position always reserved for experienced faculty officers a few faculty lecturers indicated interest. However the Head of Department recommended the young faculty lecturer for the position. Soon after he got confirmed the Examination Officer for the department. That was the beginning of his rise in the Academia. Give help when needed and especially when not expected. You will find you make friends easier that way.

Gain a Positive Reputation
: People you work with even though may not like your face will still respect you for something you know how to do very well. So it is vital that you gain a positive reputation in a very vital area of your work. When problems arise and solutions are needed in those areas you will be mentioned as a capable person to solve the problem. This enhances your overall image and endears you more importantly to your superiors who find that they derive huge benefits from your expertise.

Offer Greetings
: In an increasingly digitalized word people tend to forget the need for personal touch and greetings. Greeting is a mark of respect. When you give respect to others at work you most always get it back. Be the first to greet co-workers, associates and colleagues in the course of business. Simple courtesy doesn’t take much and doesn’t do any damage to your image.

Show Gratitude
: When a coworker helps you thank him. Don’t let good turns go unappreciated. A certain footballer in one of the top 7 clubs in the English Premier League used several weeks’ wages to buy plasma TVs for all the club officials, trainers and support staff in his club as his end of year thank you gift for the massive support they gave him.

He continues to play well for the club and is more loved by the people he works with everyday despite his stubborn tendencies. Most people will forgive your minor weaknesses if you get through to their hearts with periodic and genuine acts of gratitude. You need not buy expensive gifts like the footballer unless you can afford them over and over. The sincerity behind the gratitude is what matters.

Related posts:

1. Delegation in Management: Trusting Your People to Perform at High Levels of Responsibility (10.6)
   2. Useful Publicity Tips for Your Business (10)
   3. Thoughts on Staff Motivation: Keeping Your People Happy (9.5)

source: http://Nairabrains.com

(1) (Reply)

We Arent Even In Election Month And Swners Are Already Killing Themselves / Sw Pastors Are 419ners? / a

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.