Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,483 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" (3104 Views)

The Incredible Letter Ojukwu Wrote To Victor Banjo At The Start Of The War(pic) / Both Ambode, Tinubu Are Culprits; God About Liberating Lagosians – PDP / Stella Onyeador, Ojukwus 3rd Wife With Him In Ivory Coast. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Osaze007: 6:11pm On Sep 11, 2020
Ojukwu was no doubt high on weed

This is the letter the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu wrote to Lt. Col. Victor Banjo commanding him to invade and liberate Western Nigeria (Yorubaland) from the “Hausa/Fulani dominated Nigeria”.

Republic of Biafra Enugu,
22nd August, 1967.
My dear Victor,
1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria. We have been fully convinced that the aim of the Hausa/Fulani complex has ever been, and will ever remain, the total domination of every other part of what was known as the Federation of Nigeria. It is impossible to forget that the crisis which led to the army take over in January 1966, the coup of the Northern soldiers led by Gowon in July 1966, the wholesale and indiscriminate massacre of the people of what is now Biafra- and, to a less degree,the people of the Mid-West and West, including the Yorubas, were all the direct result of Hausa/Fulani attempt to subjugate and use as tools,the gallant people of Western Nigeria namely the Yorubas. We do not need to remind ourselves of the heavy losses in life and property suffered by the Yoruba people in their fight for justice and freedom during 1965.

Do not Miss: The Cameroons & Nigerian Artillery During An Attack On Mountain Hill Camp During WWI
2. Sharing our belief that the people of Yorubaland have a right to live a life of equality and self-respect and justice free of domination and dictatorship from any quarter, you have both identified with the cause of the Biafra struggle for survival and expressed your determination to see the people of Yorubaland freed from Hausa/Fulani domination.
We, the people of Biafra, for our part are willing and have decided to give you and the people of Yorubaland every assistance to achieve your aim.

3. After clearing the whole question with my Executive Council, I, as the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, have decided to place at your disposal Biafran forces, for the liberation of
Yorubaland on the following clear conditions:-
(i)You will have nothing to do with the Military Administrator in the Mid-West Territory during your sojourn there prior to your move to the West.
(ii)The willingness and preparedness of Biafra to assist any part of the former Federation of Nigeria wishing and willing to liberate itself from the Hausa/Fulani domination, does not in anyway whatever
imply any inclination on her part to compromise her sovereignty or preserve what remains of the defunct Federation of Nigeria. In other words, our sovereignty and break with Nigeria is irrevocable. Nothing must, therefore be said or done by you or any member of the Liberation Army to give a contrary impression.
(iii)Biafra is determined to maintain and safeguard her sovereignty and ensure that her integrity and safety are never again threatened.
(iv)Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat.
(v)On the liberation of the Yorubaland, you will be appointed as the Military Governor of that territory.
(vi)The liberation of Western Nigeria will be a prelude to the liberation of all Yorubas up to the River Niger and the severance of all connections between the West and the North at Jebba.
(vii)During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.
(viii)Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.
(ix)As soon as possible after your appointment as the Military Governor of Western Nigeria and separation of that territory from Nigeria, you and I must meet to discuss:
(a)the duration of stay of Biafran troops in your territory;
(b)the areas and subjects of cooperation between the liberated sovereign states of Western Nigeria, or by what name it may call itself, and Biafra.

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends. As such everything should be done, to ensure the minimum force and loss of life are involved in achieving the objective of liberation.

Do not Miss: Sarah Forbes Bonetta- The Yoruba Slave Who Became Queen Victoria's Goddaughter
5. It is essential, in order to avoid misunderstanding or confusion, thatall subsequent requests for support be formally made to me by youin writing.

6. Will you please signify in writing, your acceptance of the above conditions so that you may leave for Western Nigeria and lead the army of liberation.

Do not Miss: Photo Showing Major Gideon Orkar And Other 1990 Coup Plotters Awaiting Judgement
Yours very sincerely,
signed Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu,
Military Governor and Commander in Chief of Biafran Armed Forces.

https://oldnaija.com/2017/03/27/letter-from-lt-col-ojukwu-to-lt-col-victor-banjo-commanding-him-to-liberate-western-nigeria/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 11, 2020
R
Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by helinues: 6:13pm On Sep 11, 2020
Odumegwu Ojukwu wrote to Lt. Col. Victor Banjo commanding him to invade

Imagine if Yoruba's had been reasoning with their anus, Banjo would have carried out the attack on his home soil

13 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Tyrant28: 6:16pm On Sep 11, 2020
grin
Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Osaze007: 6:17pm On Sep 11, 2020
helinues:

Imagine if Yoruba's had been reasoning with their anus, Adebanjo would have carried out the attack on his home soil

Today yoruba land would have been under control of igbos loool their biggest dream looooooooool

11 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by helinues: 6:19pm On Sep 11, 2020
Osaze007:

Today yoruba land would have been under control of igbos loool their biggest dream looooooooool

Banjo considered the aftermath of the war on his people and chose not to be a bastard..

Same can't be said about Ojukwu

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by mabea: 6:30pm On Sep 11, 2020
helinues:

Imagine if Yoruba's had been reasoning with their anus, Banjo would have carried out the attack on his home soil
On the contrary Yoruba land and every other group would have been better for it

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by crackhaus: 6:33pm On Sep 11, 2020
Ojukwu was no doubt high on weed

Lol, you can't blame him.

Biafra on its own never really stood a chance in any war against the greater part of the territory called Nigeria. It was a simple military strategy to try getting the Yorubas on his side.
Although the part I found quite funny in the letter is where he stated that Biafra will assume administrative control of Lagos... Very big ambition here, lol.

The Yorubas have always been historically tied closely more to the North than to the Easterners, and I truly don't see how Ojukwu expected a battle-line to be drawn pitting them against one other.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by helinues: 6:34pm On Sep 11, 2020
mabea:

Better by turning our region into a war zone..

Thanks but no thanks...

12 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Amotolongbo(f): 6:34pm On Sep 11, 2020
3. After clearing the whole question with my Executive Council, I, as the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, have decided to place at your disposal Biafran forces, for the liberation of
Yorubaland on the following clear conditions:-
(i)You will have nothing to do with the Military Administrator in the Mid-West Territory during your sojourn there prior to your move to the West.
(ii)The willingness and preparedness of Biafra to assist any part of the former Federation of Nigeria wishing and willing to liberate itself from the Hausa/Fulani domination, does not in anyway whatever
This letter got me cracked up big time.

The same Biafran troop that could not advance pass the Northern Benue River wanted to liberate Yoruba.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by solmusdesigns: 6:35pm On Sep 11, 2020
cool

The letter that lead to the death of thousands of ragtag Biafla soldiers trying to infiltrate Yoruba land through Benin Ore Axis. They worked into the biggest and bloodiest ambush of their lives

Ojukwu's lust for Yoruba land and territories was due to the fact that he grew up all his life in Yoruba land, his first ever visit to Ibo land Enugu was through his aunty after returning from UK University

Same Ojukwu forming Biafra liberation once dealt with Major Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro the Ijaw soldier that wanted his people free from harsh rule and exploitation of Ibos of Eastern region

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Lorenzop: 6:36pm On Sep 11, 2020
helinues:

Banjo considered the aftermath of the war on his people and chose not to be a bastard..

You still lost Ilorin while the rampaging Fulani continues to dominate you... You can wail about Igbos daily while your main enemy silently conquer you...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by helinues: 6:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
Lorenzop:

You still lost Ilorin while the rampaging Fulani continues to dominate you... You can wail about Igbos daily while your main enemy silently conquer you...

Yeah we admitted of losing Kwara to Fulani and we have learned our lesson.. That was why Banjo refused to repeat same act of internal betrayer.

Can we say the same thing about Upper Iweka people?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Amotolongbo(f): 6:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
My dear Victor,
1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria. We have been fully convinced that the aim of the Hausa/Fulani complex has ever been, and will ever remain, the total domination of every other part of what was known as the Federation of Nigeria. It is impossible to forget that the crisis which led to the army take over in January 1966, [s]the coup of the Northern soldiers led by Gowon in July 1966[/s],
Imagine this lie from the deepest pit of hell by Ojukwu

5 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Amotolongbo(f): 6:39pm On Sep 11, 2020
Lorenzop:

Talk about your own tribe.

It is on record that you’ve never fought a war or lead a war outside your territory/region.

You can argue that?

10 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Lorenzop: 6:42pm On Sep 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Talk about your own tribe.

It is on record that you’ve never fought a war or lead a war outside your territory/region.

You can argue that?

You mean to say the Yoruba man that betrayed the just cause of liberating the while Nigeria?....please say something else....bar the foreign help Nigerian troops got...Nigeria would have been forgotten
Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by gwafaeziokwu: 6:48pm On Sep 11, 2020
grin

A gathering of the ignoramus. Ojukwu even in death still give ofe people goose bumps. Lol

They are trying so hard to feel among. Funny how middle beltans that fought the war has so far remain silent in regret, yet the loudmouthed fellows who got Oduduwa Republic on the platter in 1967 but were too afraid to take it are here trying to measure with greatness.

Igbos have created their own history. Can you guys take a bold step and give your next generation something to talk about.

"When the strong conclude the fight,gossip is left for the cowards "

grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by IamWonderful: 6:50pm On Sep 11, 2020
Ojukwu want to control the western region, see the weird, provocative and unreasonable conditions the warmonger that couldn't liberate his own people is giving to liberate others, I am sure Ojukwu was high on cow dung

(iv)Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat

(vii)During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.

(viii)Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.

(ix)As soon as possible after your appointment as the Military Governor of Western Nigeria and separation of that territory from Nigeria, you and I must meet to discuss:

(a)the duration of stay of Biafran troops in your territory;
(b)the areas and subjects of cooperation between the liberated sovereign states of Western Nigeria, or by what name it may call itself, and Biafra.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Amotolongbo(f): 6:55pm On Sep 11, 2020
Lorenzop:

You mean to say the Yoruba man that betrayed the just cause of liberating the while Nigeria?....please say something else....bar the foreign help Nigerian troops got...Nigeria would have been forgotten
That was the lies your elders told you.

No one likes accepting being defeated without giving excuse for the defeat

7 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Lorenzop: 7:05pm On Sep 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:
That was the lies your elders told you.

No one likes accepting being defeated without giving excuse for the defeat

Truth is bitter....deal with it

2 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Amotolongbo(f): 7:05pm On Sep 11, 2020
Lorenzop:

Truth is bitter....deal with it
As if you can recognize the truth if you see it

8 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by solmusdesigns: 7:07pm On Sep 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:
As if you can recognize the truth if you see it

Don't mind this people.. they are suffering from post war defeat and inferiority complex

Telling lies about other tribe is the only little ego booster they enjoy

9 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Nobody: 7:09pm On Sep 11, 2020
helinues:

But now Yoruba land is under the control of?

4 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by solmusdesigns: 7:18pm On Sep 11, 2020
excellence44:

Control of Yoruba elected Governors under Nigerian Federation which Professor Osinbajo is the Vice President and Rt Hon Femi Gbajabiamila is the speaker, General Olonisakin the Chief of defense staff

17 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by helinues: 7:20pm On Sep 11, 2020
excellence44:

Under control of Yoruba of course.

We don't use left hand to describe our fathers house

9 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by hollah123: 7:25pm On Sep 11, 2020
IamWonderful:
Ojukwu want to control the western region, see the weird, provocative and unreasonable conditions the warmonger that couldn't liberate his own people is giving to liberate others, I am sure Ojukwu was high on cow dung

don't mind the idiot, stylishly wanting to take yoruba land.u claim u want to liberate them but u will stay in their land till anytime u wish,just imagine.

it's obvious d reason Igbos want to add Niger Delta to their dead on arrival agitation is to have a standby slave, someone they can do anyhow

9 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Bikoko: 7:26pm On Sep 11, 2020
And at the end Victor Banjo and his band of traitors were rightfully tried and executed... but I'm sure Victor Banjo whether out of personal ambitions or/and ethnic loyalty to his Yoruba people would have been the biggest idiot to have led Biafran soldiers to devastate his own region... Ojukwu's biggest gaffe of the war was giving command of the Midwest invasion to a Yoruba man in the first place... like what was he thinking? expecting Banjo to lead Igbo soldiers to capture Lagos and the Western region was like expecting the devil to lead a legion of demons to capture hell, simply impracticable. Ojukwu had better, more competent and most importantly more trustworthy officers of Midwestern Igbo origin like Colonel Achuzie, Nwawo, Henry Igboba etc that would have gotten the job done, yet he chose Banjo because apparently Banjo who Ojukwu released from prison in the East, was his "friend" (maybe Ojukwu didn't learn from Awolowo about the dangers of trusting a Yoruba man). The Midwest operation was billed to fail from the start (also taking into account the logistical and tactical problems).

Ironically Lagos and the entire Western region was occupied by Northern soldiers, yet the Yorubas were busy fighting Biafrans while taking orders from Northerners occupying their homelands.

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 11, 2020
helinues:

God bless you helinues

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 11, 2020
mabea:

The way South East is London today?

Werey pipu

17 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 11, 2020
Amotolongbo:
This letter got me cracked up big time.

The same Biafran troop that could not advance pass the Northern Benue River wanted to liberate Yoruba.

When those children come and say we are betrayals, show them this.

Cowards

9 Likes

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Osaze007: 7:39pm On Sep 11, 2020
No wonder Awolowo used 3m of them for Suya loool

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ojukwus Letter To Victor Banjo On "Liberating Yorubaland" by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 11, 2020
solmusdesigns:

Control of Yoruba elected Governors under Nigerian Federation which Professor Osinbajo is the Vice President and Rt Hon Femi Gbajabiamila is the speaker, General Olonisakin the Chief of defense staff

God bless you IMMEDIATELY

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Power Station Built By A Boy In Aba (photo) / The Igbo-speaking Community In Lagos ISCL, Open Igbo House / TY Danjuma: Protect Yourself Or You All Will Die One By One[photos ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.