Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,158 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Engineering is the future of Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Engineering is the future of Nigeria (1772 Views)

Recommend A University In Benin Republic Where Computer Engineering Is Accredite / Why Do People Think Petroleum Engineering Is Not Good / Why Chemical Engineering Is Not Studied In UNN. (MUST READ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ioalert: 9:14pm On Sep 11, 2020
Problems of Engineering Practice in Nigeria and possible solutions;

Source; https://www.ioalert.com/2020/09/problems-of-engineering-practice-in.html

Engineering Innovation is a Paramount factor contributing to the advancement of every Nation, in terms of Economy, Technology, policy development, education and general prestige.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by Sirmwill: 9:20pm On Sep 11, 2020
Sad Story cry cry
So what then happened to Tayo embarassed

1 Like

Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ioalert: 9:32pm On Sep 11, 2020
Sirmwill:
Sad Story cry cry
So what then happened to Tayo embarassed
Tayo got sent to jail for stealing company bus
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by Sirmwill: 9:51pm On Sep 11, 2020
ioalert:

Tayo got sent to jail for stealing company bus

Ah cry
But it was a setup Na...
How will Charles cope with the situation?
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ioalert: 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
Sirmwill:

Ah cry
But it was a setup Na...
How will Charles cope with the situation?
Lol Charles needs to get a smart lawyer asap so he can keep his property even if he's fired
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by femi4: 8:12am On Sep 12, 2020
6. Posting engineering graduates to classroom should stop

1 Like

Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by reccy(m): 12:53pm On Sep 12, 2020
An Engineer know nothing but only an Engineer knows that.
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by reccy(m): 12:55pm On Sep 12, 2020
Its sad situation here in Nigeria... But as it is now, we only hope for better Nigeria where all professions are given adequate attention!
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by Sirmwill: 2:26pm On Sep 12, 2020
ioalert:

Lol Charles needs to get a smart lawyer asap so he can keep his property even if he's fired

OP,its like you have my time ooo cheesy

Well,I was just trying to say that this your topic is just one of the unending stream of painful stories we will continue to hear

The government is not and has never been interested in innovations and developments that the Engineering field can give to a country.
I wonder why people study engineering courses and wait in Nigeria ...

Please if you are an engineering student or you have finished,don't expect a greener pasture with your profession in this Nigeria...It is Old men that are awarded contracts ooo

Be smart
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by Rarelyvee: 2:33pm On Sep 12, 2020
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ymstar(m): 7:49pm On Sep 12, 2020
Ha
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by CodeTemplar: 8:23pm On Sep 12, 2020
.... typing.
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by jesmond3945: 10:18pm On Sep 12, 2020
ioalert:
Problems of Engineering Practice in Nigeria and possible solutions;

Source; https://www.ioalert.com/2020/09/problems-of-engineering-practice-in.html

Engineering Innovation is a Paramount factor contributing to the advancement of every Nation, in terms of Economy, Technology, policy development, education and general prestige.

Every developed nation is fully aware of this and invests Continually in the sector of Engineering and Technology and therefore yields infinite profits and advantages from these investments. Every observant individual would agree a 100% that Nigeria isn’t investing a lot in it’s Engineering sector, most of the time, it’s private companies who go an extra mile into investing in engineering Practice, while national policies aren’t doing much.
This article explains the various problems and possible solutions to them;

1. Poor University funding And no Special Engineering Funds;

This has to be the most basic problem, research is key to Technological discoveries and should be funded appropriately, Nigeria has a large number intelligent engineers who have great potential for making amazing discoveries and breakthroughs in the field of Engineering, but the environment isn’t actually supportive of these potential. There are no special grants or awards for engineers with innovative ideas. Sometimes Students of various universities develop prototypes of game-changing Technologies but only about 2% of these development get noticed and funded by government, and this is probably after multiple media networks have covered the prototype models and then the government would fund the project since it’s gained millions tweets and the likes.

Solution;

A.This isn’t a difficult thing to do, funding of universities adequately can help students develop their projects and innovative ideas without depend on media notice or exclusive government intervention.

B. Government bodies should host yearly Technological programs like hackathons and ‘Makathons’ so engineers can design their ideas for prizes and award. If this is implemented yearly, Nigeria would become a better place in the next 5 to 10 years.

2. Low class Technological equipment;

As an Electrical engineering student, I can boldly write that Most equipment and tools in universities laboratories and workshops for Engineering students are in stale conditions.

Upgrades and new equipment aren’t found often and most of the equipment are the ones purchased and installed since the inception of the universities and polytechnics, this is really bad for a country which is interested in technological advancement because These equipment are completely outdated and inadequate for the training of current engineering students in the already technological advanced world. This doesn’t mean the universities aren’t good enough, it on means the Equipment need an upgrade. No Student will feel comfortable working with a Hydraulic lift dated 2005, any slight mishap may cause a very serious accident.

Solution;

A. A thorough inspection of all the Engineering equipment in every university, polytechnic or technical school in Nigeria should be carried out, all the defective equipment should be replaced or preferably replaced with updated equipment

3. Poor Engineering skill set;

This aspect is the most frequently occurring issue in the Engineering development sector, Engineering graduates mostly do not have the adequate skillset for effective innovation and job fulfilment. During recruitment and interviews of Engineering graduates, the Practical knowledge needed for jobs aren’t noticed in these graduates because throughout their stay in universities or polytechnics, they were taught more of Theory and essays than Practical, skill building and experience, also they don’t put in the extra effort of research current world trends and on-demand skills.

Inadequate industrial skills of engineering students is a major problem today, it encourages Nigerian companies to hire foreign engineers thereby destroying our economy.

Solution;

A. A more practical approach to Engineering course modules

B. Assignments and course modules which stir up the Engineering student’s mind to research more and gain updated knowledge.

C. Skill programs which can be taken alongside studying Engineering in school, such as; python programming, c++, AutoCAD, web design and development, Matlab and more.

4. Minimal communication between industries and universities

In developed countries, Students are granted opportunities to visit the industrial sectors of their course of study, this isn’t usually the case in Nigeria, throughout a study of 5 years, my friend who is a graduate of Electrical Engineering only visited an electrical production company once!

This isn’t ideal for a course like Engineering which deals with physical practice and experiments.

Solution; There should be encouraged more interaction between the engineering industry and Schools. Such interactions should include the hiring of students by the industries, exchange of teachers and researchers, joint researches, the offering of grants and contracts, conferences, seminars, publications, etc. Stakeholders of industries can also be put on the board of universities. These are ways to promote science and technology in academia.

5. Employment of Fresh graduates and more women engineers.

A look through the Nigerian Engineering industry suggests that only a handful of youth and women are actively participating in it. The bulk majority of the employed and Practicing engineers are elderly men and fee women, the fresh graduates don’t have a chance against these experienced men due to recruitment policies which sometimes restricts job positions to people with 5+ years working experience without giving chance to new brain ideas and women’s creative ideas.

Solution;

A. Let it be mandatory that every year, Engineering industries in Nigeria employ fully a large amount of fresh undergraduate and female Engineers, these policies should be encouraged by government officials.
my brother Nigerian engineers are lazy. They only want oil money that's breeds laziness. I loved what one guy did by constructing a block moulding machine to help and make life easier for our masons, how many engineers can do that? None. They just want to be tightening bolt and nut in one platform at qua iboe terminal and be receiving millions every month. The engineers that work at innoson God bless them
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:28pm On Sep 12, 2020
jesmond3945:
my brother Nigerian engineers are lazy. They only want oil money that's breeds laziness. I loved what one guy did by constructing a block moulding machine to help and make life easier for our masons, how many engineers can do that? None. They just want to be tightening bolt and nut in one platform at qua iboe terminal and be receiving millions every month. The engineers that work at innoson God bless them
If you are asked to choose between tightening nuts at qua iboe terminal for 2 million monthly and 50k at innoson. Which would you go for?

2 Likes

Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by lordally(m): 11:48pm On Sep 12, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

If you are asked to choose between tightening nuts at qua iboe terminal for 2 million monthly and 50k at innoson. Which would you go for?

Abeg help me ask am oo
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by jesmond3945: 8:23am On Sep 13, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

when I worked in Nigerian breweries as an engineer my salary was 8k but we built and installed an air compressor from scratch. Una never see something by the time we ban all imports, Nigerians will drag every engineer from their homes.
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by Cetacean419: 2:20pm On Sep 13, 2020
Nigerians are quite confused there is a difference between Technology and Engineering and I have seen a post here in nairaland about it.
Nigeria is too archaic very old let's just say living in the 15th century concerning our education.
BTech-->Bachelor of Technology
BEng---> Bachelor of Engineering
Engineering involves the use of design, core science and mathematical analysis involvement in solving real life problems or issues
Technology involves the implementation of this designs which is bringing it into reality. They do a lot of practical work and a reasonable amount of designs,trouble shooting and mathematics and science
NIGERIA IS LIKE A MAN THAT WENT TO THE MARKET TO BUY A CHIFFON MATERIAL INSTEAD OF BUYING THAT MATERIAL HE REALLY NEEDS HE DECIDED TO BUY LACE, ADIRE AND GUINEA DRESS WHICH HE DOESN'T NEED FOR NOW.
There is no technology without engineering and vice versa but the most important is that they can't survive without science. Imagine designing a prototype of a floating bed who would bring it into reality? Engineers or Technologists? Same applies with Medicine and nursing both are close but none can survive without the other but all depends on the MPCP(Maths,chemistry and Biology). None is superior over the other. Peace out
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ioalert: 7:14pm On Sep 13, 2020
Sirmwill:

OP,its like you have my time ooo cheesy

Well,I was just trying to say that this your topic is just one of the unending stream of painful stories we will continue to hear

The government is not and has never been interested in innovations and developments that the Engineering field can give to a country.
I wonder why people study engineering courses and wait in Nigeria ...

Please if you are an engineering student or you have finished,don't expect a greener pasture with your profession in this Nigeria...It is Old men that are awarded contracts ooo

Be smart
Lol I'm studying Engineering but I'm more of an independent computer scientist, this article is just for my blog but u believe Nigeria can be better if they listen to smart advisors
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ioalert: 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2020
Cetacean419:
Nigerians are quite confused there is a difference between Technology and Engineering and I have seen a post here in nairaland about it.
Nigeria is too archaic very old let's just say living in the 15th century concerning our education.
BTech-->Bachelor of Technology
BEng---> Bachelor of Engineering
Engineering involves the use of design, core science and mathematical analysis involvement in solving real life problems or issues
Technology involves the implementation of this designs which is bringing it into reality. They do a lot of practical work and a reasonable amount of designs,trouble shooting and mathematics and science
NIGERIA IS LIKE A MAN THAT WENT TO THE MARKET TO BUY A CHIFFON MATERIAL INSTEAD OF BUYING THAT MATERIAL HE REALLY NEEDS HE DECIDED TO BUY LACE, ADIRE AND GUINEA DRESS WHICH HE DOESN'T NEED FOR NOW.
There is no technology without engineering and vice versa but the most important is that they can't survive without science. Imagine designing a prototype of a floating bed who would bring it into reality? Engineers or Technologists? Same applies with Medicine and nursing both are close but none can survive without the other but all depends on the MPCP(Maths,chemistry and Biology). None is superior over the other. Peace out
Technology can't be advanced without Engineers, so why the rant?
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by Cetacean419: 7:37pm On Sep 13, 2020
ioalert:

Technology can't be advanced without Engineers, so why the rant?
who is ranting? Why do I feel you are still in uni? When you will come out you will know what I am saying. Most grads like us who are working in the industry do technologists work. From design to trouble shooting statistics and measurements and maintenance . Apart from a bit of design,maybe programming and book what do you know about engineering? Institutes of Technology abroad train engineers and technologists and they carry out their duties effectively. Fine without exceptional engineering there won't be technology. If you plan is to eat fried plantain Won't you fry it? If you like write all the recipes in this world you must surely on gas and fry.
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ioalert: 9:12pm On Sep 13, 2020
Cetacean419:

who is ranting? Why do I feel you are still in uni? When you will come out you will know what I am saying. Most grads like us who are working in the industry do technologists work. From design to trouble shooting statistics and measurements and maintenance . Apart from a bit of design,maybe programming and book what do you know about engineering? Institutes of Technology abroad train engineers and technologists and they carry out their duties effectively. Fine without exceptional engineering there won't be technology. If you plan is to eat fried plantain Won't you fry it? If you like write all the recipes in this world you must surely on gas and fry.
You do Technologist work cuz your company probably employs USA engineers to do the Engineering work while Nigerian Engineers do Technologist worl
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by Cetacean419: 9:38pm On Sep 13, 2020
ioalert:

You do Technologist work cuz your company probably employs USA engineers to do the Engineering work while Nigerian Engineers do Technologist worl
many companies multinational do it here and you can't complain i work in a manufacturing company and i tell you design is far from what I do. We only use designs to monitor leakages , to see if there is a restriction of flow and many more. I had the notion growing up that engineers build things like keke, okada, cars etc . engineers do this actually but hand use is far from it. They build prototype and test run although if any issues arise they solve it mathematically and using other techniques. i wanted to use my hands, brains and knowledge. If you watch discovery world sometimes you will know this programme what could possibly go wrong and you will love engineering technology. I will learn spare parts repair and car maintenance and work with my tools. money is not everything and kids don't know this yet .
Re: Engineering is the future of Nigeria by ioalert: 10:28pm On Sep 13, 2020
Cetacean419:
many companies multinational do it here and you can't complain i work in a manufacturing company and i tell you design is far from what I do. We only use designs to monitor leakages , to see if there is a restriction of flow and many more. I had the notion growing up that engineers build things like keke, okada, cars etc . engineers do this actually but hand use is far from it. They build prototype and test run although if any issues arise they solve it mathematically and using other techniques. i wanted to use my hands, brains and knowledge. If you watch discovery world sometimes you will know this programme what could possibly go wrong and you will love engineering technology. I will learn spare parts repair and car maintenance and work with my tools. money is not everything and kids don't know this yet .
Well you speak the truth, your preference is skill building and knowledge, my preference in Independence and money making.
That's the advantage of Engineering, you can diversify as you please

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Exams Questions First Term, Second Term And Third Term Examination Primary 6 For / How To Write A Winning Scholarship Essay / I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.