Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me (1761 Views)

I Regret Going To The University / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / 6 Celebrities Who Regret Going For Plastic Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Ammmy: 9:05pm On Nov 29, 2023
I'm about to start a petty trading that people who haven't seen the 4 walls of university or even secondary school do. When I was 16 and finished secondary school, I got a job and was seeing some small change. My parents told me to start preparing for jamb. I never had interest in going to University. I told them I'm not interested in going to school. That I want to just continue working and get married. They called me all sorts of names like mumu, dondy, goat etc. It's like I foresaw my future. It's been 13 years since I graduated and yet nothing to show for it. No graduate job no nothing. I see people at the bustop doing petty trading and making their money with ease but I can't join them. The thought of being a graduate keeps holding me down. I would have been more richer and even married to a better man by now. What has school done for me? Nothing! Absolutely nothing!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by telkevog(m): 9:10pm On Nov 29, 2023
Just be humble and start whatever your heart moves you too do now.
Don't regret behind a graduate, it will even be an added advantage that will help you make a difference in your new found trade.

5 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by CoronaVirusPro: 9:12pm On Nov 29, 2023
Don't write-off your degree yet! It is still an alternative. The fact that its not paying you now, does not mean its useless.

It does not expire! I pray someday, you will be back on this forum to give a testimony.

We have people in circumstances, blaming themselves for not going to school because they are opened to opportunities they cannot reach.

Be positive! You are only aware about the moment, you know nothing about tomorrow!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by thesicilian: 9:23pm On Nov 29, 2023
What our parents failed to realise then was that anyone who has successfully completed secondary school is already educated enough to start life on his own. But I don't blame them though, they acted based on what they knew.
Tertiary education is not for everyone.

21 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by 4KNGOATS(m): 9:29pm On Nov 29, 2023
Ammmy:
I
Babes it's never too late you can start something. Being a graduate doesn't limits you in whatever ways.do whatever gives you joy it matters a great deal

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Wawelexy(m): 9:32pm On Nov 29, 2023
How about you ask those petty traders about their own regrets too.... Then you will be grateful to your parents and keep hoping for better tomorrow... Anything can change at any gaddam time always stay positive

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by madscientist88(m): 10:03pm On Nov 29, 2023
school got you exposed to certain important experiences you are currently playing reluctant too,if you went to school looking for a solution to a bright future in your books then your years were wasted,but if you went to school knowing you are the solution to the problems in the future you have won.what innovative solutions are your ready to bring to the trading ground to bring about a lasting a paradigm shift,from the experience youve gathered over the years? or you mean youve wasted all those years on wishful thinking?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by finallybusy: 12:19am On Nov 30, 2023
It’s still a fallback plan. Trust me, I vex pass you when I realized the job market was highly competitive. I assumed jobs would fall at my feet after university. Start your hustle and don’t look back. You never know, someone may recommend a corporate role while you’re engaging in it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by ghettochild(m): 12:20am On Nov 30, 2023
U r not alone in this.....
Wish I hadn't gone to university too..
That money is currently a waste in my life.....
Handwork or skill acquisition Na the only way ooo.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Elliotwaveforec: 6:46am On Nov 30, 2023
Be literate with your school certificate and focus on getting your parents out of poverty first, then get a tertiary education.

Tertiary education isn't for the poor; it's the bitter truth.

Just know how to read and write! That's all you need.

5 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Blake755: 6:50am On Nov 30, 2023
ghettochild:
U r not alone in this.....
Wish I hadn't gone to university too..
That money is currently a waste in my life.....
Handwork or skill acquisition Na the only way ooo.
Hmm
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by online4business: 6:55am On Nov 30, 2023
School everywhere in the world na so e be... Nigeria make am worse.

Going to school before you start making a living is living backwards.

People get paid because of their expertise... If you're not studying a specialized course you are wasting your money.

The only skill needed is to read and write
Understand how money works
Understand the market plan
Understand who you're selling to

You're off to the races.

If you feel school na waste a question you must ask yourself

Am I a life long learner? Most people close their books forever the minute they wrote their Last exams.

Lifelong learners don't.

Success is 99% persistent because nobody hit a home run everytime.

But some try a business the seconds there's small challenge they give up.

For blogging you go hear oooo Google update oooo my site is not moving... no no no dummy.

One try and you're already given up.

Get off your High horse and grind but make sure you're following the right FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE.

HERE'S WHY

THE MAJORITY IS ALWAYS WRONG IN ALMOST EVERYTHING IN LIFE.

If you get nothing else from this my rant but only that then know IT'S WORTH IT WEIGHT IN GOLD.

IT'S SO IMPORTANT LET ME REPEAT THE MAJORITY IS ALWAYS WRONG.

find the minority the 1-5% to emulate.

Here's what those people (rich and famous) have in common they understand human nature.

Here's two website that can change lives if you must sell to make a living.

It works wether you do online or offline business.

Thegaryhalbertletters. Com by Gary halbert
Marketingbullets. Com Gary bencivenga

If you want to get a head start in life find a guy called Dan Kennedy (the millionaire maker) read any of his book for 3 years.

Sadly only few people read and apply it.

Do you know why... It's the reason few people will continue to make 90+ of all the money.

You can really save anyone you can only show them what it takes....

Only few walk on the footpath less paved.

Pioneers come home full of arrow (walk in the path giant have worked on to become successful to quickly get there)

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Ammmy: 7:16am On Nov 30, 2023
Elliotwaveforec:
Be literate with your school certificate and focus on getting your parents out of poverty first, then get a tertiary education.

exactly! I perfectly knew how to read and write. I was very brilliant in secondary school. Didn't see any need to go to another school again called university. My parents were just hoping that I will get a good job after school and take care of them

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by NeoWanZaeed(m): 7:17am On Nov 30, 2023
Ammmy:
I'm about to start a petty trading that people who haven't seen the 4 walls of university or even secondary school do. When I was 16 and finished secondary school, I got a job and was seeing some small change. My parents told me to start preparing for jamb. I never had interest in going to University. I told them I'm not interested in going to school. That I want to just continue working and get married. They called me all sorts of names like mumu, dondy, goat etc. It's like I foresaw my future. It's been 13 years since I graduated and yet nothing to show for it. No graduate job no nothing. I see people at the bustop doing petty trading and making their money with ease but I can't join them. The thought of being a graduate keeps holding me down. I would have been more richer and even married to a better man by now. What has school done for me? Nothing! Absolutely nothing!

Education is never a waste. Opportunity can show up at anytime

No rich or better man would want to marry an illiterate Except to imprison her mentally

The problem you have is lack of interest in education which also portrays your lack of education even though you are a graduate.

As a graduate, you should be able to channel your education into this pretty trading and do it better and earn better than the illiterates

If you have channel your love for business and studied courses related to business education.. your expose to business world will be far greater than petty trading.

Try to counsel your mind, restructure and restrategize your plans
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by NeoWanZaeed(m): 7:21am On Nov 30, 2023
Reading comments... Got me understood that lots of people still live in delusion.

ATTENDING SCHOOL OR BEING EDUCATED ISN'T A PRE REQUISITE TO GETTING RICHER THAN ILLITERATES OR AN AVENUE TO BECOME A BILLIONAIRE.

EDUCATION IS AN AVENUE TO BROADEN YOUR MIND, EXPOSE YOU TO THE WORLD AND MAKE BETTER ANY OPPORTUNITY OR PLACE YOU FIND YOURSELF IN LIFE.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by NeoWanZaeed(m): 7:26am On Nov 30, 2023
99% of rich folks in 9ja have nothing to write here about when it comes to education and exposure .. they're all -0..
Even the citizens are worse..

Imagine if all our leaders are really educated and exposed...

We'll be living okay..

The perfect proof of that is the CANCELLATION AND LEVITY HANDS EDUCATION AND AGRICULTURAL SECTOR IS TOOK WITH..

AND THESE ARE JUST THE BASIC OF GOVERNMENT

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Kaido: 8:23am On Nov 30, 2023
Secondary/high school education is all one needs to make it, couple with the determination to hustle.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by nobilie: 10:32am On Nov 30, 2023
Ammmy:

You would have been richer without going to school is an assumption.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Gadafii: 10:36am On Nov 30, 2023
One of my mistakes was not learning a craft before I went to tertiary school, well I finished school and got a job, but I realized there is nothing more fulfilling than a well established craft

I will make sure my kids learn varieties of skills that will enable them stand in their own without waiting to get a job from anyone before or while in school

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Ammmy: 10:57am On Nov 30, 2023
nobilie:

You would have been richer without going to school is an assumption.
it's not. Because I would have begun a petty trading a long time ago rather than idling away without earning any income
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Usmanovic95(m): 12:31pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ammmy:
it's not. Because I would have begun a petty trading a long time ago rather than idling away without earning any income

What have you done to salvage your situation in that 13years since you graduated.Dont tell me you just allow that 13years of your life waste without doing anything to remedy your situation.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by sulakishop(m): 1:42pm On Nov 30, 2023
If education looks like sham to you, try ignorance and burn your certificate. Thank me later.

One day, I'm sure my degree will soon favour me. I will just keep hustling and never give up
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by CHRISTFUCKER: 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2023
Start doing onlyfans and watch how rich you'll be

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by NwaliE01: 2:51pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ammmy:
I am sure one day you will appreciate getting a formal education, then you will understand what your parents did for you.
In our world today, education is very important.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by AfahaAbia(m): 3:09pm On Nov 30, 2023
It's so sad that in Nigeria we have so many graduates driving Keke napep, Bolt, bus driving and even conductor work!!! It's really that bad
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Major7: 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ammmy:

You went to school but not with an open mindset. School most times is to widen the horizon of your thinking, seize the opportunities most doesn't see.you don't necessarily have to get a white collar job but you need to change your mindset madam. Long before I graduated, I already set my mind on my dreams,visions and goals to achieve, I never wanted to work under anyone and I'm living my dreams proudly with no regrets to the glory of God. What are your dreams Think about it if there's any and Start strategizing
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Adewale1603(m): 3:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
Don't blame your parents. In whatever thing one finds himself or herself doing in life, they still needs or require education, education is knowledge, knowledge is light. all those you mentioned doing petty trades and business still uses knowledge and education to run it. Or how do you think they balances their account and make calculations, even the unskilled labourers or factory workers still uses their brain and knowledge to know how and what they're working on the only difference is that they didn't attend tertiary institutions to obtain a degree. Education is important. Issues of unemployment is the country's and leaders governing it problem, it's not caused by your parents. If the country is stable and in a good shape, there will be employment.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by StubbornGENIUS: 3:48pm On Nov 30, 2023
Good luck in your new endeavor
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by LikeAking: 3:51pm On Nov 30, 2023
Ammmy:
I'm about to start a petty trading that people who haven't seen the 4 walls of university or even secondary school do. When I was 16 and finished secondary school, I got a job and was seeing some small change.

School scam u..

African parents eh!

Dem Dey mislead their children.

Selling is ur destiny….

But don’t do it at the bus top..

Do it on Jiji,TK,x, fb , do it online…

Good luck.

Above all stop listening to your parents.
Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by LikeAking: 3:58pm On Nov 30, 2023
Elliotwaveforec:

Truth!

Keep the economy aside..

We have over done this uni degree thing..

E suppose be for a few.

While majority of use hustle..

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by Mavinsoladele(m): 4:07pm On Nov 30, 2023
Sorry for your regret.

Re: I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me by virginchaser(m): 4:54pm On Nov 30, 2023
I just finished buying goat and the guy that dissected it kept on lamenting that if he had gone to school he would have been better off in this business. I asked him why? He sighted some few butchers who looked more successful than him and he felt it's because of there educational background.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

University Of Nigeria Nsukka 2007/2008 Screening Test / Get Admission Without Jamb! / About LAPO Scholarship Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.