Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board (4890 Views)

Obama Appoints Adewale Adeyemo As Deputy National Security Adviser / Abia Governor Cuts Own Salary By 50%,Appoints Dr V Uma As Head Of Service / Presidency Appoints Dr Eugene Ikemefuna Juwah Ceo Of Ncc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by EkoIle1: 4:07pm On Feb 25, 2011
Another Chicagoan, Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade, gets Obama White House post
By Lynn Sweet on February 25, 2011 8:49 AM | No Comments

WASHINGTON--Another Chicagoan tapped for the Obama White House, Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade, for the National Cancer Advisory Board.

Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade, Appointee for Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade is the Walter L. Palmer Distinguished Service Professor of Medicine & Human Genetics, Associate Dean for Global Health, and Director of the Center for Clinical Cancer Genetics at the University of Chicago. She is also a practicing clinician and Director of the University's Cancer Risk Clinic. In her clinical work, Dr. Olopade is an authority on cancer risk assessment, prevention, and individualized treatment based on risk factors and quality of life. She also works with educators, doctors, government officials and pharmaceutical companies to improve access to quality education and medical care in low-income communities. Dr. Olopade has received numerous professional honors and awards, including the MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, the ASCO Young Investigator Award, the James S. McDonnell Foundation Scholar Award, and the Doris Duke Distinguished Clinical Scientist Award, among others. She holds an M.B.B.S. from the University of Ibadan in Nigeria, completed her residency in internal medicine at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in hematology and oncology at the University of Chicago.

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 24, 2011

President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts

WASHINGTON - Today, President Barack Obama announced his intent to appoint the following individuals to key Administration posts:

· Thelma Duggin, Member, Board of Trustees of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

· Marcia Cruz-Correa, Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

· Kevin J. Cullen, Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

· Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade, Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

· Jonathan M. Samet, Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

· Bill Sellers, Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

President Obama said, "These dedicated individuals bring a wealth of experience and talent to their new roles and I am proud to have them serve in this Administration. I look forward to working with them in the months and years to come."

President Obama announced his intent to appoint the following individuals to key Administration posts:

Thelma Duggin, Appointee for Member, Board of Trustees of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars

Thelma Duggin is President of the AnBryce Foundation, an organization that provides long-term academic and leadership enrichment programs to underserved youth. Prior to joining the AnBryce Foundation, Ms. Duggin was a Senior Vice President at UnitedHealth Group (UHG). Before joining UHG, she served as President of Americhoice of New York and Americhoice of New Jersey, Inc. Ms. Duggin previously served as a Special Assistant to President Reagan and Director of the 50 States Project for Women, and as Coordinator of Minority Affairs to Former Secretary of Transportation, Elizabeth Dole. Ms. Duggin completed the General Management program at Harvard Business School and was a resident fellow at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government. She holds a B.S. degree from Edgewood College in Madison, Wisconsin, and an honorary doctorate from Morris Brown College.

Marcia Cruz-Correa, Appointee for Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

Marcia Cruz-Correa, M.D., Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of Medicine and Biochemistry at the University of Puerto Rico (UPR), Visiting Associate Professor of Medicine at The Johns Hopkins University, and Adjunct Associate Professor of Surgical Oncology at the MD Anderson Cancer Center. She is the Basic and Translational Scientific Director at the UPR Comprehensive Cancer Center and a medical staff member at the VA Caribbean Health Care System in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Dr. Cruz-Correa is also a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve. At UPR, Dr. Cruz-Correa leads a Gastrointestinal Oncology Program. She is also involved in conducting clinical research trials evaluating the role of various chemo-preventive methods. Prior to this, Dr. Cruz-Correa founded the first population-based familial colorectal cancer registry in Puerto Rico. Dr. Cruz-Correa is a council member of the Minorities in Cancer Research of the American Association of Cancer Research, previous Chair of the Diversity Committee of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), and current Chair of the Membership Committee of the ASGE. She is President of the Puerto Rico Gastroenterology Association, and leads the Puerto Rico Colorectal Cancer Coalition. She holds a B.S. in Biology from the University of Puerto Rico, an M.D. from the University of Puerto Rico Medical School, and a Ph.D. in Clinical Investigation and Genetic Epidemiology from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Kevin J. Cullen, Appointee for Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

Kevin J. Cullen, M.D. is currently the Director of the Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center at the University of Maryland, which under his leadership became a National Cancer Institute (NCI) Designated Cancer Center in 2008. He is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Maryland and is head of its program in oncology. Dr. Cullen was previously Professor of Medicine, Oncology and Otolaryngology at Georgetown University, where he also served as interim director of the Lombardi Cancer Center at Georgetown. He serves on the external advisory boards of several NCI designated cancer centers. He has chaired two working groups for the NCI and is a member of the National Board of Directors of the American Cancer Society. He is the author of numerous journal publications and has served on review panels for the NCI, the Veterans Administration Research Program and other organizations. He was named one of Washington's Best Physicians by Washingtonian Magazine and has been the recipient of the Special Achievement Award from the National Cancer Institute, the American Cancer Society South Atlantic Division Service Award, and the Ulman Cancer Fund Hope Award. Dr. Cullen holds a B.A. from Dartmouth College and an M.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade, Appointee for Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade is the Walter L. Palmer Distinguished Service Professor of Medicine & Human Genetics, Associate Dean for Global Health, and Director of the Center for Clinical Cancer Genetics at the University of Chicago. She is also a practicing clinician and Director of the University's Cancer Risk Clinic. In her clinical work, Dr. Olopade is an authority on cancer risk assessment, prevention, and individualized treatment based on risk factors and quality of life. She also works with educators, doctors, government officials and pharmaceutical companies to improve access to quality education and medical care in low-income communities. Dr. Olopade has received numerous professional honors and awards, including the MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, the ASCO Young Investigator Award, the James S. McDonnell Foundation Scholar Award, and the Doris Duke Distinguished Clinical Scientist Award, among others. She holds an M.B.B.S. from the University of Ibadan in Nigeria, completed her residency in internal medicine at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in hematology and oncology at the University of Chicago.

Jonathan M. Samet, Appointee for Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

Jonathan M. Samet, M.D. is Professor and Flora L. Thornton Chair of the Department of Preventive Medicine at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California (USC) and Director of the USC Institute for Global Health. From 1994 to 2008, Dr. Samet was Professor and Chairman of the Department of Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Previously, he was Professor and Chief of the Pulmonary and Critical Care Division of the Department of Medicine at the University of New Mexico. His research has addressed health risks posed by environmental agents, including active and passive smoking, indoor and outdoor air pollution, cancer occurrence among diverse populations, and patterns of cancer care. Dr. Samet presently chairs the Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee of the Food and Drug Administration. He is an elected member of the National Academy of Science's Institute of Medicine. Dr. Samet holds an A.B. from Harvard College, an S.M. from the Harvard School of Public Health, and an M.D. from the University of Rochester.

Bill Sellers, Appointee for Member, National Cancer Advisory Board

Dr. William Sellers is currently Vice President and Global Head of Oncology for the Novartis Institutes of BioMedical Research, where he oversees small molecule and antibody-based drug discovery efforts in oncology. Dr. Sellers was formerly the Principal Investigator at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School. He was also an Associate Member of the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT. Dr. Sellers' has won research funding from a number of organizations including the National Cancer Institute, the Damon-Runyon Cancer Research Foundation, and the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation. His research has been recognized with the Abbott Bioresearch Award, the Tisch Family Outstanding Investigator Award, and the National Institutes of Health, Physician-Scientist Award. He currently serves on the Scientific Advisory Board, Caring for Carcinoid Foundation, and the Scientific Advisory Board, Mt. Sinai Medical Center. He holds a B.S. in Biology from Georgetown University and an M.D. from the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2011/02/another_chicagoan_olufunmilayo.html
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2011
''Cancer advisory board'' my asssss.

These devils know the cure for cancer. They just won't let the world access it because they make hundreds of billions every year from ''treating'' the disease. Propagating a natural cure (there are many) for cancer would mean an end to their dirty profits, hence the endless ''search for a cure'' for cancer etc.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by seanet02: 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2011
ROSSIKE:

These devils know the cure for cancer. They just won't let the world access it because they make hundreds of billions every year from ''treating'' the disease. Propagating a natural cure (there are many) for cancer would mean an end to their dirty profits, hence the endless ''search for a cure'' for cancer etc.

mind your own business
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by Nobody: 12:20am On Feb 26, 2011
Congrats to the "Igbo" man grin grin grin
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by PhysicsMHD(m): 12:24am On Feb 26, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Do you actually believe this in real life?

Or is this part of some of conspiracy theorist Nairaland character/persona?
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by ekubear1: 4:54am On Feb 26, 2011
Eko Ile:

Damn. She is kind of a big deal. That MacArthur "genius" grant in particular is very, very impressive.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by ekubear1: 4:59am On Feb 26, 2011
The writeup on the MacArthur:
http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/05/050920.macarthur.shtml

Man. I'll email a copy of this thread to my sister. I want her to be a badass doctor too.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 6:04am On Feb 26, 2011
And straight from University of Ibadan.

Next time anyone posts about how bad the NIgerian University/Educational system is they should be referred to this thread cough cough madam kobojunkie

Man nigerian girls and book. If not for the sexism in Nigeria, we would be able to harness a lot of talent from nigerian women.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by fstranger3(m): 6:05am On Feb 26, 2011
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 6:12am On Feb 26, 2011
See how she dey fake accent cheesy

All NIgerian parents should stop forcing their children to be doctors angry
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by fstranger3(m): 6:16am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

See how she dey fake accent  cheesy

All NIgerian parents should stop forcing their children to be doctors  angry

I saw her on Tavis Smiley in 2007 and I wasnt impressed with her. She is getting more due than she deserves. I do give a credit though for carving a niche for herself by focusing solely on the AA demographics, the least studied group in medicine.

But, erm Cancer geneticist my arse, She is just a clinician, definitely not a scientist.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 6:23am On Feb 26, 2011
^ Thats difficult to tell though. Despite all my mouth and imaginary confidence on NL, I am kind of shy, and if I get interviewed in real life I will likely crumble. Does not mean I dont know my stuff.

Also how do you know she is not a scientist and just a clinician? Anyways most Doctors are not the bestest researchers except they do that MD/PhD thingy or go through an MSTP program. If she is a cancer geneticist she probably works a lot on BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations in which african american women are more susceptible to.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by coldhearts(f): 6:37am On Feb 26, 2011
I am proud of her and i think any reasonable person should cos it takes a whole lot of hardwork to get to where she is - passing the incredible US Medical Licencing Exam  / hospital residency/ fellowship in oncology .

Some bitter comments here are seriously undeserving. She did extremely well for herself.

It's about time we praise those doctors in Nigeria as high as we praise those that make it outside the country smiley
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by fstranger3(m): 6:39am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ Thats difficult to tell though. Despite all my mouth and imaginary confidence on NL, I am kind of shy, and if I get interviewed in real life I will likely crumble. Does not mean I dont know my stuff.

Also how do you know she is not a scientist and just a clinician? Anyways most Doctors are not the bestest researchers  except they do that MD/PhD thingy or go through an MSTP program. If she is a cancer geneticist she probably works a lot on BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations in which african american women are more susceptible to.

How do I know that she is not a scientist? Are you kidding me? No Nigerian university train scientists, having an MBBS doesnt make you a scientist overnight. You can get your PHD in soft disciplines like Sociology, political science and the rest, but Ph.D. is hardcore science? no Nigerian university is equipped to do that. I stand corrected.

My college professor spent 7 years in a  Genetics program before he became a geneticist. I am very sure that she does not operate the lab alone. I am almost 100% sure that she operates the lab with a basic scientist, without which she would be clueless on a lotta stuff.

And also, her area off focus is not just the AA populace alone, she also goes to Nigeria and collaborates with people over there, giving her edge over other people in the US. She has contacts in Nigeria and a lotta guineapigs who obviously are poor Nigerians that are mostly ignorant of their rights, hence, easily manipulatable. I have nothing against her,  she is doing what most White people would not touch.  After all, there are more people suffering from sickle cell than cystic fibrosis, but we know more about cystic fibrosis than SS for reasons well known to us all.

PS: my point is that she gets more attention than she deserves compared to other people in the same field.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by fstranger3(m): 6:41am On Feb 26, 2011
coldhearts:

I am proud of her and i think any reasonable person should cos it takes a whole lot of hardwork to get to where she is - passing the incredible US Medical Licencing Exam  / hospital residency/ fellowship in oncology .

Some bitter comments here are seriously undeserving. She did extremely well for herself.

Relax!

No one is discrediting her. Anyone can do what she does, not that biggie,

No one is bitter here ok!
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by coldhearts(f): 6:53am On Feb 26, 2011
fstranger3:

Relax!

No one is discrediting her. Anyone can do what she does, not that biggie,

Mo one is bitter here ok!

huh , it's a big deal, are you kidding me, it takes several months of study just to pass that exam and it's even harder now, not to mention getting into residency is difficult- not joking  shocked. I give her due respect for getting that high up there.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by fstranger3(m): 6:55am On Feb 26, 2011
coldhearts:

huh , it's a big deal, are you kidding me, it took me several months of study just to pass that exam and it's even harder now, not to mention getting into residency is difficult- not joking  shocked. I give her due respect for getting that high up there.

I understand your point!

Several months? Thats because of your IMG status. at most 4 weeks, but your point is noted.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by coldhearts(f): 7:01am On Feb 26, 2011
Many American graduates now study for that long, you don't have to be IMG believe me but then i know for some people it's that easy so i will leave it here.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 7:01am On Feb 26, 2011
fstranger has not sat for the USMLE yet, dont you guys jave march day or whatever that is called. One of my good friends (about 5+ years older than me) who goes to Wash U med though did not do too well in the USMLE so it must be a pretty difficult exam.

How do I know that she is not a scientist? Are you kidding me? No Nigerian university train scientists, having an MBBS doesnt make you a scientist overnight. You can get your PHD in soft disciplines like Sociology, political science and the rest, but Ph.D. is hardcore science? no Nigerian university is equipped to do that. I stand corrected.

Its not that hard for a smart nigerian with an MBBS to learn everything you need to do research. She did residency so she might have learned some stuff in between or worked in a lab. Trust me first class Nigerians could within a year reach the same academic levels as an MIT undergrad. As I have said previously, its more about the IQ curve and where you place on that curve as opposed to your education.

My college professor spent 7 years in a  Genetics program before he became a geneticist. I am very sure that she does not operate the lab alone. I am almost 100% sure that she operates the lab with a basic scientist, without which she would be clueless on a lotta stuff.

I differ, yes your CP might have spent 7 years completing a PhD but that does not mean after year 2 to three he was not knowledgeable about tons of stuff. Its just that he took time to complete his work. I think a well trained doctor could learn all she needs to know about genetics research in a year max.

And also, her area off focus is not just the AA populace alone, she also goes to Nigeria and collaborates with people over there, giving her edge over other people in the US. She has contacts in Nigeria and a lotta guineapigs who obviously are poor Nigerians that are mostly ignorant of their rights, hence, easily manipulatable. I have nothing against her,  she is doing what most White people would not touch.  After all, there are more people suffering from sickle cell than cystic fibrosis, but we know more about cystic fibrosis than SS for reasons well known to us all.

I agree with that. Haha on the naija connections- well you make do with what you have. Similarly european professors in the US collabo with all their friends in europe too and easily pick up multiple connections compared to US trained professors.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by ekubear1: 7:04am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

And straight from University of Ibadan.
We have a lot of talent in Nigeria. Just not being harnessed  undecided

Man nigerian girls and book. If not for the sexism in Nigeria, we would be able to harness a lot of talent from nigerian women.
Yep. In some ways, Nigerian girls are better at academics than Nigerian guys. Certainly a lot more focused.

SEFAGO:

See how she dey fake accent  cheesy

All NIgerian parents should stop forcing their children to be doctors  angry
Says who? It is a great profession. Better than most, imo.

fstranger3:

I saw her on Tavis Smiley in 2007 and I wasnt impressed with her. She is getting more due than she deserves. I do give a credit though for carving a niche for herself by focusing solely on the AA demographics, the least studied group in medicine.

But, erm Cancer geneticist my arse, She is just a clinician, definitely not a scientist.
Why do you say that?

In 1986, she completed an internship and residency at the Cook County Hospital in Chicago, and trained in hematology and oncology as a postdoctoral fellow at Chicago, where she has been a member of the faculty since 1991.
Internship, residency, postdoc is enough to make a doctor a scientist. What she went through isn't too much different from MD/PhD.

Also. . . why are you hating on Nigerian women? lipsrsealed
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 7:04am On Feb 26, 2011
What is IMG?

fstranger do not study for 4 weeks for such an exam lol, at least start 2-3 months  wink

Also what type of field do you plan to go to?

I know all Nigerian parents want their kids to be neurosurgeons like ben carson
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 7:07am On Feb 26, 2011
Says who? It is a great profession. Better than most, imo.

Well the fact is that most Nigerians are obssessed with medicine and want their kids to be dokita undecided, its kind of silly. So many kids are being indirectly forced to study medicine
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by ekubear1: 7:10am On Feb 26, 2011
Nothing wrong with forcing your kids to do the right thing. Plus at age 16, 17, most kids don't know the best career path. Why not have the parents choose it for them?

Letting your kid wander aimlessly is how they end up majoring in something lame and then getting a crappy job
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by Nobody: 7:10am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

Well the fact is that most Nigerians are obssessed with medicine and want their kids to be dokita  undecided, its kind of silly. So many kids are being indirectly forced to study medicine

GBAM!! angry angry

Yoruba parents wants their daughters to be doctors and their sons to be engineers/lawyers undecided
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by ekubear1: 7:16am On Feb 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

GBAM!! angry angry

Yoruba parents wants their daughters to be doctors and their sons to be engineers/lawyers undecided

Nothing wrong with that. My approved career list is as follows:

Doctor
Lawyer
Engineer
Economics major at elite school, e.g. Harvard

Only way I'll be happy if my kid majors in philosophy, psychology, etc and other fluffy majors is if they plan on going to med or law school. Majors like that don't pay the bills.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 7:18am On Feb 26, 2011
Nothing wrong with forcing your kids to do the right thing. Plus at age 16, 17, most kids don't know the best career path. Why not have the parents choose it for them?

Letting your kid wander aimlessly is how they end up majoring in something lame and then getting a crappy job

Thats the Nigerian thinking- parents thinking they know more than their kids. If someone studies what they are not good at they are likely to be jobless more than someone who studies what they are passionate about and excel in that field.

Kids at 16-17 dont wander aimlessly, most have a good idea of what they want to do and what they like to study. Yes, they might not be thinking of career prospects now, but they know what they like and what they dont like. What I have a problem with is parents making their kids study medicine, engineering or law when those kids dont like it or do not enjoy it. So they spend the rest of their life hating stuff they study.

Medicine/law/Engineering is not for everyone and most of these people could have been better off studying pure mathematics or physics/neuroscience or even gasp history or political science
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 26, 2011
eku_bear:

Nothing wrong with that. My approved career list is as follows:

Doctor
Lawyer
Engineer
Economics major at elite school, e.g. Harvard

Only way I'll be happy if my kid majors in philosophy, psychology, etc and other fluffy majors is if they plan on going to med or law school. Majors like that don't pay the bills.

Ehrrm fluffy majors? hmm
So you guys are more concerned about paying the bills? I cant imagine working at the hospital, 18 hrs, vigorous schedule @ an old age. blah

Engineering doesnt pay much o, nothing at all.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by fstranger3(m): 7:21am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

fstranger has not sat for the USMLE yet,

Fishing?  Obviously you dont know that the USMLE is a 3 step exam. I will let you continue to wallow in your ignorance. grin Just as you  do to me whenever I mention Olashore grin

I like this game.

Its not that hard for a smart nigerian with an MBBS to learn everything you need to do research. She did residency so she might have learned some stuff in between or worked in a lab. Trust me first class Nigerians could within a year reach the same academic levels as an MIT undergrad. As I have said previously, its more about the IQ curve and where you place on that curve as opposed to your education.
I differ, yes your CP might have spent 7 years completing a PhD but that does not mean after year 2 to three he was not knowledgeable about tons of stuff. Its just that he took time to complete his work. I think a well trained doctor could learn all she needs to know about genetics research in a year max.

I agree that anyone can mix chemicals and analyse data with softwares; after all I do sometimes feel more competetnt than some postdocs. But interms of knowledge about genetics, I  am sure she is not as knowledgeable as a full time geneticist in any reputable university in the US. Clinical medicine is not basic science, granted that they have access to more grant money than basic scientist due in part to that fact that most times you have to pay humans, unlike rats.

Well, as for picking up research finesse while in residency, especially since she is an internist, I say you are wrong. When does she have time to go to the lab in residency, especially since she did her residency at a community hospital, as opposed to an academic center. The point remains that she is just the figure head boss of the lab. Very unfortunate that MDs get precedence over PH.Ds in clinical medicine, I am not complaining though.
I used to work in a lab like that where I had two bosses, one Ph.D. and the other MD. The MD woman rarely shows up to lab as she had other commitments she needed to attend to besides supervising heavy accented grad students. we present our date to the PHD woman, but unfortunately for her, the MD woman gets all the attention and any time a paper is published in a very reputable magazine,It is always the face of the MD woman on the pages of my school's magazine and website. In a way, even though the PHD woman spends more time in the lab, she gets less recognition than the MD woman. It is just how things work unfortunately.

In the grand scheme of things, I dont think she is that special, but for focusing on a demographics no one seem interested in, I give her kudos.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by fstranger3(m): 7:26am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

What is IMG?

International Medical Graduate.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by ekubear1: 7:26am On Feb 26, 2011
SEFAGO:

Thats the Nigerian thinking- parents thinking they know more than their kids.
Parents generally DO know more than their kids.

If someone studies what they are not good at they are likely to be jobless more than someone who studies what they are passionate about and excel in that field.
This is a separate issue. If a parent is silly enough to force their not-particularly-bright kid into something academically challenging, probably will not work out to well. So I'm assuming that the parent has identified the strengths/weaknesses of their kid. Your point is probably that most Nigerian parents don't do a good job with this strength/weakness part. You might be right about that; I wouldn't know.

But assuming that the parent has taken this factor into account, they are often the best person to advise their child on a career.

Kids at 16-17 dont wander aimlessly, most have a good idea of what they want to do and what they like to study. Yes, they might not be thinking of career prospects now, but they know what they like and what they dont like.
Disagree strongly with the above. Knowing what you like or don't like isn't enough. What is more important is how much things pay. If you like something that pays a bad salary. . . well, you'd better pick something that you like a little bit less but that pays more.

What I have a problem with is parents making their kids study medicine, engineering or law when those kids dont like it or do not enjoy it. So they spend the rest of their life hating stuff they study.
Alright, so I've made the assumption that the parent isn't pushing their child to study something they absolutely hate, or have no aptitude for. This is certainly an assumption, but not an unreasonable one, I think.

Medicine/law/Engineering is not for everyone and most of these people could have been better off studying pure mathematics or physics/neuroscience or even gasp history or political science
Studying pure math is dangerous, unless you are very good at math. The jobs prospects for a mediocre mathematician aren't really that great. Same for physics and neuroscience. . . probably become a high school teacher or something. Which pays terribly.

But if you are a mediocre engineer, you can still get a $65k+ job out of college.

Lol @ history or political science. Those are fine as 2nd majors, but majoring in that alone is generally not a good idea if you want to be financially secure in life. Though of course if you plan on going to law school, history/poli sci are fine majors.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by SEFAGO(m): 7:29am On Feb 26, 2011
Fishing?  Obviously you dont know that the USMLE is a 3 step exam. I will let you continue to wallow in your ignorance. Grin Just as you  do to me whenever I mention Olashore Grin

I like this game.

Actually I do, it slipped my mind. Yeah remember now- USMLE step 1, step 2 e.t.c lol. Trust me, I know a lot about med school than you think not fishing for anything.

Not really I dont play games to be honest lol, if you want to know something about me, just ask, and if i want to tell you I will, if not, I wont. Nothing do me and nothing dey do you.

she needed to attend to besides supervising heavy accented grad students.

Thats racist  angry

In Nigeria it pays a lot if you can crack an oil company. The pay in naija is just atrocious if you can get a top-level job in an oil compnay . In the US the salary is great but you hit a ceiling except you move into management. If you are studying engineering definitely put an MBA or MEM (Masters in Engineering Management) in your list of things to do in the future. That is my iyawo, thinking of how to pay the bills with her husband.
Re: Obama Appoints Dr. Olufunmilayo Falusi Olapade To Us Cancer Advisory Board by ekubear1: 7:30am On Feb 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It depends. The big-name companies offer pretty decent starting compensation, 65k+ or so iirc. I agree, the increase in salary over time doesn't compare to something like investment banking or finance related careers.

It really depends on how much money you want. The prestige of engineering is pretty high though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Govt Demolishes Nkwo Nnewi Triangle For Security Reasons / JUST IN!!! Biafra: Kanu Grant's Interview To BBC; Speaks Tough (watch Video) / Step By Steps To Getting A Trademoni Loan ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.