Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,459 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

COVID-19: I Turned Agbero To Survive, Laments Boxing Champion - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / COVID-19: I Turned Agbero To Survive, Laments Boxing Champion (259 Views)

Buhari Congratulates New Boxing Champion, Ridwan "The Scorpion" / KSI Beats Logan Paul To Become Youtube Boxing Champion / Is Anthony Joshua An Atheist? - Fans Question World Heavyweight Boxing Champion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: I Turned Agbero To Survive, Laments Boxing Champion by Samsimple(m): 7:06am On Sep 17, 2020
National featherweight champion, Taiwo Agbaje, says he has resorted to collecting toll fee from drivers at the popular Ladipo market in Lagos to survive, in the wake of COVID-19, The PUNCH reports.

Agbaje, popularly known as Esepo, revealed that he lost millions of naira due to inactivity following the ban placed on boxing and other contact sports by the Federal Government.

Last month the FG lifted the ban on non-contact sports but insisted that contact sports like football, basketball, wrestling, boxing among others would remain banned until further notice.

Agbaje, winner of the Mojisola Ogunsanya Memorial Trophy for the best boxer at GOtv Boxing Night 20 last December, told our correspondent that he turned a toll collector, popularly known as agbero, at the Ladipo market in Oshodi – the biggest auto spare parts market in Lagos — to make ends meet following the harsh economic conditions due to lack of fights.

“Our government is just being unfair to us because other countries have resumed sporting activities,” Ajagbe told The PUNCH.

“I have lost money running into millions of naira because there are a lot of fights I should have attended and I was confident I would have won because I trained so hard for them.

“But look at me now, I don’t have money and can’t go into the ring. For now, I work at Ladipo market as agbero to collect money from drivers all because I want to survive.”

Other athletes also pleaded with the Federal Government to lift the ban to ease the hardships on sportspeople.

PUNCH

cc. lalasticlala mynd44

Re: COVID-19: I Turned Agbero To Survive, Laments Boxing Champion by WibusJaga: 7:16am On Sep 17, 2020
Sad! Covid-19 adversely affected almost all sectors.

But, you lost millions because of no fights; what of the millions you made when there were fights

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: I Turned Agbero To Survive, Laments Boxing Champion by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 7:23am On Sep 17, 2020
U would have turned your back on your country and represented other countries wey make sense
Re: COVID-19: I Turned Agbero To Survive, Laments Boxing Champion by GODSENT252: 7:24am On Sep 17, 2020
WibusJaga:
Sad! Covid-19 adversely affected almost all sectors.

But, you lost millions because of no fights; what of the millions you made when there were fights
you asked a very good question
a good one
Re: COVID-19: I Turned Agbero To Survive, Laments Boxing Champion by PlayerMeji: 7:45am On Sep 17, 2020
Covid19 is a wake up call for every single person.

Just make sure you stay woke!

No more Lau-Lau

(1) (Reply)

West Brom Vs Chelsea 3:3 / Barcelona Usher In Real Test! / Depay Will Do Everything To Force Barcelona Move In January, Says Lyon President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.