Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? (1762 Views)

Yoruba Teacher Teaches White Kids Geography In 1946. (throwback) / Need A Yoruba Teacher / How A Female Yoruba Teacher Toasted Some Male Science Students To Do Her Subject (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2020
I'm interested in understanding Yoruba and I need a teacher here. All you just have to do is translate anything I ask of you to Yoruba.

If you're interested; please mention me.

1 Like

Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Generalissimo75(m): 6:29pm On Sep 17, 2020
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2020
You don't need to boo space na.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Abosedeee: 7:00pm On Sep 17, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
I'm interested in understanding Yoruba and I need a teacher here. All you just have to do is translate anything I ask of you to Yoruba.

Bring them on. Let me try
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Coder2Client(m): 8:47pm On Sep 17, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

If you are here in Lagos just mingle with Yoruba speaking guys, you will pick up slowly. That's how many non Yorubas do here. Eko lele yi

1 Like

Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2020
Coder2Client:

If you are here in Lagos just mingle with Yoruba speaking guys, you will pick up slowly. That's how many non Yorubas do here. Eko lele yi
thanks.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Brayss(m): 9:39pm On Sep 17, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

I'M IN
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 17, 2020
Brayss:
I'M IN
Kpada
O rerin
Ma shubu
Ma
E ti e di no

Pls help translate to English
I'll follow you now in case I need more help
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Brayss(m): 11:32am On Sep 18, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

Kpada
O rerin
Ma shubu
Ma
E ti e di no

come back....you don't laugh....don't fall down....Are u deaf?
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 22, 2020
Brayss:
come back....you don't laugh....don't fall down....Are u deaf?
Da kpada
Mo lor si ile
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 22, 2020
Coder2Client:

I don't mean to generalise bro, but most Yoruba "around" me are really tribalistic. Referring to one as "omo IBO" even when I'm not an IBO boy. I don't like that, so I try to stay away from them.

Note I said "most" and not "all" Yorubas.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Brayss(m): 7:20pm On Sep 22, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

Da kpada
Mo lor si ile
Return it..I went home
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by ymstar(m): 10:53pm On Sep 22, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

I don't mean to generalise bro, but most Yoruba "around" me are really tribalistic. Referring to one as "omo IBO" even when I'm not an IBO boy. I don't like that, so I try to stay away from them.

This ur username get as he be o
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2020
ymstar:

This ur username get as he be o
haha haha
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by ymstar(m): 11:02pm On Sep 22, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
haha haha
Talk jare
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Coder2Client(m): 4:41am On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

Don't blame us for that, blame them. We are not what you call us, in fact, we are the most tolerating people. Just get close to the good among us and you will give testimony.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by ymstar(m): 7:04am On Sep 23, 2020
Coder2Client:

Don't blame us for that, blame them. We are not what you call us, in fact, we are the most tolerating people. Just get close to the good among us and you will give testimony.
True talk
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by ymstar(m): 7:05am On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
haha haha
U better come here now and tell me why you choose 'heartlessbanker' as ur monicker
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by sinkhole: 7:28am On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

Kpada
O rerin
Ma shubu
Ma
E ti e di no

I just have a little observation for you.
Writing in Yoruba is also very important, as your writing could easily be misinterpreted.
You should realize that Yoruba language is tonic in nature, that is, the tone of words gives meaning. For example "O rerin" might mean "it is laughing" while "Oo rerin" might mean "you're not laughing".
Up there, you wrote " Kpada", that is clearly not allowed in Yoruba language! You, normally, do not follow consonants back-to-back. K and P can not follow each other, therefore you have to remove the K and write "pada" which mean "turn/come back".
Your third word is "shubu" to mean "fall down". The problem here is the H following S! The way Yoruba will write "sh" is to put a dot under the S and the sound is actually not like "sh"!
Your last translation "E ti e di no", I believe it is just a typo error, as it supposed to be " E ti e di ni".
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 23, 2020
Coder2Client:

yeah I like Yoruba's though, especially their women. I think one fits well among them if you understand their language. That's why I'm trying to learn it.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 23, 2020
sinkhole:

I just have a little observation for you.
Writing in Yoruba is also very important, as your writing could easily be misinterpreted.
You should realize that Yoruba language is tonic in nature, that is, the tone of words gives meaning. For example "O rerin" might mean "it is laughing" while "Oo rerin" might mean "you're not laughing".
Up there, you wrote " Kpada", that is clearly not allowed in Yoruba language! You, normally, do not follow consonants back-to-back. K and P can not follow each other, therefore you have to remove the K and write "pada" which mean "turn/come back".
Your third word is "shubu" to mean "fall down". The problem here is the H following S! The way Yoruba will write "sh" is to put a dot under the S and the sound is actually not like "sh"!
Your last translation "E ti e di no", I believe it is just a typo error, as it supposed to be " E ti e di ni".
Yeah it was a typo error.
So what "pada" means come back, what does "pada wa" mean then?
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 23, 2020
ymstar:

U better come here now and tell me why you choose 'heartlessbanker' as ur monicker
thats what I am nah.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by sinkhole: 10:53am On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

Yeah it was a typo error.
So what "pada" means come back, what does "pada wa" mean then?
"come back", the "wa" is for emphasis but it sounds incomplete though, it could have rather be "pada wa sibi" "come back here"
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 23, 2020
sinkhole:
come back here
Inu mi dun
Ma shekpe fun e
Shemilore
Ile
Mo lor si ile
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by sinkhole: 10:56am On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

Inu mi dun
Ma shekpe fun e
Shemilore
Ile
Mo lor si ile
sorry, I had to edit what you just quoted!
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by sinkhole: 11:06am On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

Inu mi dun
Ma shekpe fun e
Shemilore
Ile
Mo lor si ile
Inu mi dun = I am happy

Ma s'epe fun e = I will course you!

Semi loore = give me gift (but its much more deeper than that!)

Ile = House

Mo lo si ile = I went to the house (if you put insert "n" in between Mo and lo, then you have a continuous phrasal verb, i.e., I am going to the house)
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 23, 2020
sinkhole:
sorry, I had to edit what you just quoted!
no p.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by ymstar(m): 6:40pm On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
thats what I am nah.
Ok, I ask because I want to teach you Yoruba and u will teach me igbo

But ur monicker ehn!!!!
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 23, 2020
ymstar:

Ok, I ask because I want to teach you Yoruba and u will teach me igbo

But ur monicker ehn!!!!
No be pesin dey ansa:smellysperm,rapistonbail,itearhertoto?
Wetin you go talk for that one na?

I no be Igbo bros. I'm from south south. Igbos come from the eastern part of Nigeria.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by ymstar(m): 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

No be pesin dey ansa:smellysperm,rapistonbail,itearhertoto?
Wetin you go talk for that one na?

I no be Igbo bros. I'm from south south. Igbos come from the eastern part of Nigeria.
Let's do trade by barter
Teach me ur lang and I will teach you Yoruba in d best possible way.

Deal?
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 23, 2020
ymstar:

Let's do trade by barter
Teach me ur lang and I will teach you Yoruba in d best possible way.

Deal?
My mama nor teach me my language bro. I no understand my language sef.
Re: Who's Going To Be My Yoruba Teacher? by ymstar(m): 7:43pm On Sep 23, 2020
Heartlessbanker:

My mama nor teach me my language bro. I no understand my language sef.
Well, thank God
Let's hope ur Yoruba teacher teach you well
Bye

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos State SS2 Mock/ Promotion Exams Timetable 2021/2022 - Exameaze / The Sad Reality Of First Class Graduates After Convocation In Nigeria / University Of Nigeria Nsukka 2007/2008 Screening Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.