Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex (537 Views)

WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public / Drunk Man Being Transported In A Hilux Van Spotted Urinating In Public (Photos) / 4 Facts That Might Make You Quit Swimming In Public Pools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Columbine(m): 8:43am On Sep 18, 2020
Recent surveys shows that stammering can have a significant impact on a person's career, social life and mental and emotional well-being. Most people who claim to be introverts are just afraid of the perceived embarrassment as a result of their stuttering, therefore you see them talk loudly not minding whether the stammer or not in the midst of their friends but become suddenly withdrawn in public. Sometimes they find it difficult relating with the opposite sex, due to the nervousness and anxiety associated with it, which increases their chances of stammering the more, which makes them feel embarrassed. Therefore, in other to find solace they conclude by claiming to be introverts instead of seeking ways to improve their social and communication skills, I also believe that there are introverts too, who are naturally quiet and have no problem relating with the public, but just that they choose not to.

So I wanna ask, as a stammerer how do you cope relating with the public expecially with the opposite sex, how do you get over it?
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by DICKstractor: 9:43am On Sep 18, 2020
I only stammer when I'm angry. I try everything possible to avoid such circumstance. I walkway from a fight

Sometimes I regret walking away but on the long run, I knew I made the right decision

I value my peace of mind

4 Likes

Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Columbine(m): 10:20am On Sep 18, 2020
DICKstractor:
I only stammer when I'm angry. I try everything possible to avoid such circumstance. I walkway from a fight

Sometimes I regret walking away but on the long run, I knew I made the right decision

I value my peace of mind

what about speaking in public, either with a stranger, crowd or opposite sex, because I know people tend to stammer more when they're also nervous, anxious or excited.
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by DICKstractor: 10:29am On Sep 18, 2020
Columbine:

what about speaking in public, either with a stranger, crowd or opposite sex, because I know people tend to stammer more when they're also nervous, anxious or excited.
It doesn't affect me
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 3:46pm On Sep 18, 2020
DICKstractor:

I value my peace of mind

same with me
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 3:49pm On Sep 18, 2020
I stutter whenever I'm angry, try talking fast and whenever I try speaking my igbo dialect.

Do u know that I don't stutter while with female gender??. most of my female pals don't know I stammer
I believe stuttering reduces gradually as u grow older.

1 Like

Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Columbine(m): 4:38pm On Sep 18, 2020
kingsolomonjnr01:
I stutter whenever I'm angry, try talking fast and whenever I try speaking my igbo dialect.

Do u know that I don't stutter while with female gender??. most of my female pals don't know I stammer

I doubt, their are older people who stammer even the more. I can't just explain it, some people stammer more than others, but i think being more outspoken can help one overcome it.
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Jimbadly: 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2020
Op, I know you're an 'avid' stammerer. Go see a speech therapist.
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 7:50pm On Sep 18, 2020
Columbine:

I doubt, their are older people who stammer even the more. I can't just explain it, some people stammer more than others, but i think being more outspoken can help one overcome it.

Outspoken indeed.
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 18, 2020
kingsolomonjnr01:

How is that shit possible
I also don't stammer when talking with a female.
I rarely stammer
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Pharmmaqp: 9:23pm On Sep 18, 2020
I'm a stutter ...

I am a pharmacist..

I attempted politics ..

I have always been scared of public outings.. even as a smart kid I wasn't used for debates or news broadcasting ..

So I trained myself to be the idea man.. a tool behind a good orator and politician..

I overcame public stammering when I vied for faculty president..

I had the backing of my wonderful girlfriend and my pals

I noticed I don't stutter on voicenotes and in private..
Or emotional.. so I try to be emotional with everyone..

You just have to find a way out to communicate..

I worked on my vocabularies to help me substitute words faster especially when I'm unable to pronounce something..

When I'm angry I don't talk much.. when I'm excited I just flow with the excitement wether I Starmer or not..

I love my clients and everyday at work I try to listen more and prepare words in my heart to reply as soon as they are done talking.

Just learn so many words .. if you are stuck pronouncing a word just substitute with an synonym and you are good to go..

The most important thing is ..you shouldn't make conversation a quarrel or a fight..

Don't slap anybody grin

2 Likes

Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Olukokosir(m): 10:59pm On Sep 18, 2020
I stammer as well but as I grow older, I learnt how to substitute some difficult words to easy words for me.

My female friends don't even know I stammer..

The only thing I noticed is this... When you are anxious, or when you try to rush your words, you tend to stammer and it might affect you...

1 Like

Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by kingsolomonjnr01(m): 9:50am On Sep 19, 2020
slimkhalifa:
How is that shit possible I also don't stammer when talking with a female. I rarely stammer
Smiles!!. I'm glad I don't... would have been awkward all through my life.
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Columbine(m): 12:53pm On Sep 19, 2020
Jimbadly:
Op, I know you're an 'avid' stammerer. Go see a speech therapist.

nope, I'm not. moreover I don't need a speech therapist, I have mine under control
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Columbine(m): 1:01pm On Sep 19, 2020
Olukokosir:
I stammer as well but as I grow older, I learnt how to substitute some difficult words to easy words for me.

My female friends don't even know I stammer..

The only thing I noticed is this... When you are anxious, or when you try to rush your words, you tend to stammer and it might affect you...

exactly, that's what I'm trying to work on, being too anxious and eager to say everything at once. For the opposite sex, the fear of stuttering will even make you stutter tongue
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Columbine(m): 1:03pm On Sep 19, 2020
[quote author=Pharmmaqp post=94064067]I'm a stutter ...

you're very correct, Most stammerers talk slowly

1 Like

Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Uyi168: 6:41pm On Sep 19, 2020
kingsolomonjnr01:

True with the growing older part..
I used to be a terrible stammerer when I was growing up.It affected me alot, my confidence and the rest.
Somehow, I've been able to outgrow it.. It's simply unbelievable even to me..
Re: Stammerers, How Do You Cope Speaking In Public, Expecially With The Opposite Sex by Olukokosir(m): 10:39pm On Sep 19, 2020
No lies in it. My major help during conversation is gesticulating... Especially during presentation in school, once I stay in one place like this, na die but I realized that the more I gesticulate, the more fluent i will be...

Talking with girls, I make sure I'm super slow and pick my use of words and it helped

Columbine:

exactly, that's what I'm trying to work on, being too anxious and eager to say everything at once. For the opposite sex, the fear of stuttering will even make you stutter tongue

(1) (Reply)

Body Odour Natural Treatments / S / 99.9% Of Nigerian Men Are Not Good In Bed – Sex Therapist Soul Spice Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.