Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,999 members, 7,835,369 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. (33661 Views)

Banks, Businesses Comply With CBN Directive On Old Notes — But Shortage Persists / Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria / FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by naptu2: 11:19am On Sep 18, 2020
CodeTemplar:
I that's the case the common sense should have told them that there should be some kind of threshold to make it sane. They ask for accounts holding money beyond certain amounts or people with combined funds beyond certain amount.

You are absolutely right. I didn't want to include it in the post because the communication from the government is clumsy, but I remember that there is a treshold in the original OECD directive. I think it was a million dollars or something similar. However, the Nigerian Government has not said anything about the treshold.
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by phrancys001(m): 11:19am On Sep 18, 2020
softset:
I am thinking these government officials are usually drunk and possibly high on some shit in the evenings, why would the social media handle of the government say A in the morning while another agency says B in the evening.

Dont they have a chain of command that reviews all that goes out to the public?

My advise for those that have the opportunity to leave this country...please move fast. I did that over 20 years ago and have no single regret. Get another passport as option B. If only for the sake of your children.

Although I am back, but in a MUCH better situation.
All this your rant upstair las las you still come back Ina enhn!
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by naptu2: 11:20am On Sep 18, 2020
MeinKampf:

Are you guys not tired of always trying to defend this useless leaders that care no bit for the citizens of this country? You guys are always quick to justify every selfish policies with intent to generate more money to maintain the outrageous lifestyle our leaders are living while you live out all the good policies the countries you derive your justifications from are implementing in their various countries. Remind me what UNESCO standard on Education and Health are and when is this government domesticating same here? For this government, it's always copy every policy from international organizations that will help them milk and tax their citizens without copying those benefits that the citizens of other countries are enjoying

What the hell does your post have to do with my response?? Someone asked about an issue and I responded with facts and you are telling me about one stupid defending or supporting whatever?

Are you sure that you can comprehend simple posts?
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by DeRay98(m): 11:27am On Sep 18, 2020
Remittances of Nigerians in dispora to support families and friends in Nigeria is worth billions of Dollars that are pumped into the Nigerian economy yet, overzealous govt and its officials want to tax Diasporans again to fund budget while the Politicians are still keeping their bumper pays intact.
These people are not serious

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by CodeTemplar: 11:28am On Sep 18, 2020
naptu2:

You are absolutely right. I didn't want to include it in the post because the communication from the government is clumsy, but I remember that there is a treshold in the original OECD directive. I think it was a million dollars or something similar. However, the Nigerian Government has not said anything about the treshold.
It should also be twrgetted at monies made in the country of origin and not monies made anywhere, otherwise it will amount to paying for citizenship of one's country of origin.
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Jeffyblaq(m): 11:30am On Sep 18, 2020
You want to tax folks in abroad helping you out with foreign exchange, having being taxed here as well.

Well, we would simply send the money to our loved ones still in the hopeless country.

Betterstill, keep our money.

What a cursed country drained out of ideas!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by DeRay98(m): 11:35am On Sep 18, 2020
rontolo:
In compliance with that protocol, people who have bank accounts in other countries and foreigners who have bank accounts in Nigeria are required to obtain, fill and submit the self certification forms. This does not apply to all bank account holders in Nigeria. (This is to enable governments to collect tax from their citizens that are based abroad). The banks are expected to know the customers that this directive applies to (due to the Know Your Customer [KYC] programme) and to inform them of the directive

I LOL a the bolded. Bunch of id1o.ts. Let them come and tax me nau! I will rather close my Nigeria bank accounts than pay a dime in tax to these corrupt, incompetent lot. If they want my tax, they should start with the following:

1. Cut cost of governance, reduce the number or planes in Buhari’s fleet
2. Reduce wastage in and around Asso Rock on food, phantom maintenance
3. Reduce annoying waste in the legislature
4. Combat corruption genuinely and transparently

Until then, they can get lost!

Bull's eye
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 18, 2020
My former bank had an account called NRN..non resident nigerians, all what FIRS listed has been documented gar back as 2008,why is govt just realising this
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Philipxxxx0: 11:37am On Sep 18, 2020
Am thinking is time to leave this country, the early the better.

1 Like

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by 4four(m): 11:39am On Sep 18, 2020
soberdrunk:
See confusion everywhere, to think I made enemies supporting this government only for them to reward me with incompetence and shameful acts every other day breaks my heart everyday....... angry I nor just know wetin make me fall in love and believe Buhari die that year, I was defending him as if they were paying me for PR, I was under strong illusion that in 2 years he will have transformed Nigeria....... angry
my brother no be only you ooo
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Sola15(m): 11:40am On Sep 18, 2020
I don’t think these people know what they’re doing. So you expect us to pay tax in our resident countries and still pay to Nigerian government, lol. Not even when they don’t deserve it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by nams77: 11:40am On Sep 18, 2020
DirtyGold:
I'd rather say it was a stunt to test public response because you cannot tell me that it is the same person that issued the directive that composed and tweeted it... Yeye dey smell!

The government clearly sees the citizens as customers... this current administration just happens to shamelessly highlight and spotlight that fact.

Where other sensible governments around the world are constantly asking and seeking how to protect and give their citizens benefits, ours here are constantly looking for ways to inflict pain and hardship on its citizens... and they are never short of these ideas. That's why they loot mindlessly and do everything for personal interest. The ones done to look like public benefit are actually done to gather political clout...

God punish all the vampires in the corridor of power, amen!

What's tha business?
You are a genius!
I thought I was the only one who noticed this tactics.
This government is satanic!

2 Likes

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Mavor: 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Some times ehnnnn you go just dey feel say the people way dey handle government social media platforms don high
Mumu!!!
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by twosquare(m): 11:49am On Sep 18, 2020
GreyLaw:
Nonsensical stuff. So if I have money in foreign bank accounts I should come and tell you so you can tax me, right? No sir! I don't give money to criminals.

The tax I am paying here in Nigeria is enough.
Sensible comment so far. All I see since for front page na rant. It equals double taxation. You pay money to IRS, you still pay to Naija, ṣe? Who does that...? Nah...not happening...They're trying to copy the American system of remitting taxes from abroad, but FG forgot that it's a country that works....people wey don renounce Naija tey tey grin
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by able20(m): 12:03pm On Sep 18, 2020
jericco1:
The federal government should learn to harmonize such sensitive news piece before dishing it out to the general public.

They should stop behaving like reprobates. undecided
No mind that Adeshina Buhari's dog

1 Like

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by naptu2: 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2020
samtee37:
Why are this government behaving like someone in the 19th century undecided
Cant they just digitize everything instead of going to bank with all the stress

I weak

That's the other problem with the crazy tweet that has now been deleted. The tweet implied that people have to go to their banks to get the form, but the form is on FIRS website and people can simply download it, fill it, scan and email it to their banks.

1 Like

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Dalby(m): 12:25pm On Sep 18, 2020
softset:
I am thinking these government officials are usually drunk and possibly high on some shit in the evenings, why would the social media handle of the government say A in the morning while another agency says B in the evening.

My advise for those that have the opportunity to leave this country...please move fast. I did that over 20 years ago and have no single regret. Get another passport as option B. If only for the sake of your children.

No chain of looters!!!

grin grin grin
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by GreyLaw(m): 12:37pm On Sep 18, 2020
twosquare:
Sensible comment so far. All I see since for front page na rant. It equals double taxation. You pay money to IRS, you still pay to Naija, ṣe? Who does that...? Nah...not happening...They're trying to copy the American system of remitting taxes from abroad, but FG forgot that it's a country that works....people wey don renounce Naija tey tey grin

Lol... no mind them. Yet they cannot with that money do here what the Americans are doing for their citizens.
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by yemi1504: 12:42pm On Sep 18, 2020
johnshagb:

That's a relief. I can't imagine myself going to queue at the bank for hours so the government can screw me over once more with my hard earned money. That kind of information should be scrutinized properly before being released to the public.

Imagine the kind of tension that brought to the people. Just preposterous

A relief to me too! I was already thinking of losing my GTBank account since I can not afford to go through the bedlam and stress at GTBank branches in Ibadan especially the one on Secretariat Road, Bodija.
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by yemi1504: 12:48pm On Sep 18, 2020
dyera:
I be don fear say for this social distancing period wey to enter bank deposit money you need to wait outside for more than two hours, them come tell people to pack go bank, heh.

Anyway, those of you that will be going to vote tomorrow, no vote for broom o, no vote for broom. Vote the umbrella party.

Abi, umbrella party na the one o! At least, they no push anti-people policies like these All Progressive Criminals people!
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by Ebenezer2021(m): 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2020
inoki247:
I think say dem wan pass message say dem hacked dem or na opposition type am for dere Twitter
lmao cheesy @bolded
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by 12inchess: 1:31pm On Sep 18, 2020
By now everyone should have seen the writing on the wall. This govt is broke. They are now looking for how to tax their citizens abroad. How have they ever assisted anyone? Even us abroad, the embassy will take donkey years to renew your passport. First they increase petrol price, increase electricity tarrif, now they want to tax citizens abroad that they've nothing to contribute to
. Is that not why we left in the first place i.e our leaders are useless? Buhari's govt is to take and take. No benefit whatsoever. He is busy looking for money to cater for his large family's next medical trip abroad. Is that not where they always go when they are sick? UK, U.S, Dubai , Germany. Yet doctors will continuously strike in Nigeria and the facilities are junk. If these foreign countries didn't take care of their health system, will they be going for medical tourism there?

Buhari is nothing but an hypocrite. Yes I said it. They should go and meet dangote for dollars naaa. Afterall they have been subsidizing his business for him at 385 naira to 1 dollar. Foreign tax kill you there.

By December once my investment in Nigeria matures, I'm going to totally pull out everything from Nigeria. That green passport has brought me nothing but shame.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by PDPGuy: 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2020
Zico5:
(This is to enable governments to collect tax from their citizens that are based abroad). I don't really understand what's going on in this country. They are running out of idea thereby putting immense pressure on people based abroad. These people are paying tax in their respective country and is it a sin to save money in ur own country. This is a bad precedence on the part of the government calling themselves progressive. For how long will the masses continue to bear the burden of this government. No direction, no way forward. Everything is just upsidedown.

The purpose of the self-certification exercise is to enable the US IRS to collect tax from Nigerians who hold dual (American and Nigerian) citizenship. The FG ain’t collecting any additional tax from those people.
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by empete2k5(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2020
What kind of stupid tax? Did i make my income in Nigeria? I pay alots of tax where i am, Nigeria Government still want to collect another tax from me. I think this is the worse Government i have ever seen. If the Federal Government needs money to run her country i think he should put the right things in place. I can make Nigeria a better country just in space of 6months through different channels. To me Nigeria is the easiest country to rule with the population of over 200 million. So sad we dont have the right leader to make Nigeria great.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by AlmaIganishire: 2:34pm On Sep 18, 2020
This is the perfect timing for you to open a business account. FCMB Business Account is designed to cater to the day-to-day banking needs for your business. Start today. https://on.fcmb.com/online-account-business3
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by sterlingD(m): 3:31pm On Sep 18, 2020
What a government. Is it not something like this that happened before they shocked us with increase in electricity tarrif.
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by AlmaIganishire: 3:49pm On Sep 18, 2020
I can’t stop reading this over and over again. “This Nigeria nawaa o”

Do you know you can Get 3-months FREE banking when you open an FCMB Business Account Online. https://on.fcmb.com/online-account-business3
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by erico2k2(m): 4:24pm On Sep 18, 2020
softset:

r����
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:44pm On Sep 18, 2020
soberdrunk:
See confusion everywhere, to think I made enemies supporting this government only for them to reward me with incompetence and shameful acts every other day breaks my heart everyday....... angry I nor just know wetin make me fall in love and believe Buhari die that year, I was defending him as if they were paying me for PR, I was under strong illusion that in 2 years he will have transformed Nigeria....... angry

Daily, Nigerians curse those who voted that man in... Go wash your head of those curses
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by staaari: 6:26pm On Sep 18, 2020
A very useless government and confused FIRS.

CRS reporting is only for accounts where yearly balance has reached $250,000.00

Anything below is not reportable.

And it will be mostly for Non-Nigerian Account Holders in Nigerian bank,.

The goal is that Nigerian will now inform these foreigners country how much they have in our banks.

The questions we should ask FIRS is where is the CRS report of Nigerians having foreign account with balance above $250,000.00 sent to Nigeria.?
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by naptu2: 6:45pm On Sep 18, 2020
At last, I am free and I have found it.

Like I wrote earlier, only a very small number of Nigerians are affected by this and this issue is not exactly new.

I heard the minister of finance, Zainab Shamsuna Ahmad talking about it last year. There are certain Nigerians who are resident in Nigeria, but who also make money abroad and also live abroad for part of the year. She used Nigerian musicians as an example. Some of them might have concerts abroad and might keep the money that they make from the concerts in foreign banks and the Nigerian Government wants to ensure that they pay tax on such funds.

The best explanation I've seen came from the former minister of finance, Kemi Adeosun and I'm going to post an article about her comments in 2017.

All this does is enable governments to exchange information in order to determine where bank account holders live, how much they earn and which government they are meant to pay their taxes to.
Re: FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. by naptu2: 6:50pm On Sep 18, 2020
Nigeria explains taxes on citizens living abroad

by Oladeinde Olawoyin

August 3, 2017

The Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun, on Thursday gave clarifications on the Nigerian government’s plan on diaspora taxes.

Mrs. Adeosun made this clarification during a Facebook LIVE video chat tagged “Tax Thursday”.

While responding to questions during the tax programme monitored by PREMIUM TIMES’ correspondent, Mrs. Adeosun explained that the new tax regime isn’t meant for all Nigerians living in the diaspora.

“It is not (for) every Nigerian; it is for Nigerians resident for tax purposes…If you are a Nigerian resident for tax purposes, it means you live in Nigeria for 195 days of the year,” she said.

“We’ve signed bilateral agreements with many countries, there is no double taxation. If you are paying your taxes in the UK, America or Canada, you are not affected by the scheme.

“However, if you are collecting rents on properties – we found in our profile that a lot of properties are owned by Nigerians in the diaspora; they collect the rent and remit it to America or they keep it here but they don’t pat tax – those rents that you collect in Nigeria, to the extent that you didn’t declare them in the country you live in, you need to declare them under rent.

So, in that regard, some of the diaspora (residents) are affected,” she said.

The minister explained further that Nigerians working and doing businesses abroad are exempted from the tax regime, adding that it is meant for Nigerian residents.

“The vast majority of Nigerians who are just doing their jobs or running their businesses abroad; No, we are not taxing you. We are taxing Nigerian residents, many of whom also own properties abroad. So, I need to make that clarification,” she said.

“There is no tax for people that live, work abroad. You are already paying your taxes there, we don’t have any issues with you. The people we are targeting are those who are Nigerian residents for tax purposes.

“And the thing is… you must pay tax somewhere. You can’t avoid taxes completely. So, if you are in England, surely you are paying taxes in England. But if you are a Nigerian resident, and you are paying taxes in England, then we have some issue with you which is around adequacy of your tax returns and for that we are already comparing notes with the Inland revenue of the IRS in America.

Mrs. Adeosun however added that those registered as taxpayers in Nigeria would have to pay taxes in Nigeria, irrespective of wherever they are across the world.

“But if you are resident for tax purposes in Nigeria, you have to pay your taxes in Nigeria. So, if you live abroad, hold up in London or Dubai for most of the year, but to the extent that you are registered in Nigeria as a taxpayer, you have to pay your taxes here in Nigeria, including taxes on income that you earn abroad.

“So, a Nigerian that owns a property abroad and rents it out, that income is taxable in Nigeria.

The fact that you didn’t remit it to Nigeria the tax laws don’t make that distinction. The fact that you earned it, you have to declare in Nigeria and pay tax on it in Nigeria; that’s what the tax law requires and that’s what we will be enforcing,” she said.

On the issue of taxing first class tickets and luxury coaches, the minister said there were plans to implement the initiative.

“I think yes,” she said in response to the question, adding that, “We signed something yesterday on luxury goods; champagne, brandy, whiskey, wine, jewellery, high-end jewellery.

“We’ve signed something that will bill access charge on first class and business class tickets, we are just doing the final parts of the implementation and we also want to try and amend the tax payer book on high end cars, luxury cars,” she said.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/239082-nigeria-explains-taxes-citizens-living-abroad.html

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Inside Abuja Local Tea Stall Where Cryptocurrency Is Accepted As Payment / Puzzle Book Mastery: Puzzle Making Software / Why We Should Reject The N10,000 Withdrawal Limit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.