Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,759 members, 7,820,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register (50081 Views)

FIRS Clarifies Directive On Self Certification Forms For Bank Account Holders. / #BankWars. Sterling Bank Apologises For Shading Other Banks. / First Bank Apologises About Lagos Trekking Tweet Today (Screenshots) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Basoenewokoma(m): 11:35am On Sep 18, 2020
The Federal Government has apologised for asking all account holders in the country’s financial institutions to register their details again.

The PUNCH reports that the FG earlier asked all account holders in banks, including insurance companies, to fill and submit a Self-Confirmation form.

The order was given despite the possession of the Bank Verification Number and the National Identification Number by account holders on Thursday.

Failure to do so, the Nigerian government threatened to block access to defaulters’ accounts or impose a monetary penalty.

The order to fill another Self-Confirmation form, despite the existing BVN and NIN, had attracted condemnations on social media.

However, in a tweet on Friday, the government apologised for misinformation.

It tweeted, “We apologise for the misleading tweets (now deleted) that went up yesterday, regarding the completion of self-certification forms by Reportable Persons. The message contained in the @firsNigeria Notice does not apply to everybody. FIRS will issue appropriate clarification shortly.”

In a press statement, the Federal Inland Revenue Service explained that only “reportable persons” are expected to submit the form.

The statement read, “This is to clarify the publication for financial institutions account holders in Nigeria to complete the self-certification form, pursuant to the Income Tax (Common Reporting Standard) Regulations 2019 which is for the fulfilment of Automatic Exchange of Information Requirements.

“The Self Certification form is basically to be administered on Reportable persons holding accounts in Financial institutions that are regarded as “Reportable Financial Institutions” under the CRS.

“Reportable persons are often non-residents. And other persons who have a residence for tax purposes in more than one jurisdiction or Country.

“Financial Institutions are expected to administer the Self Certification form on such account holders when the information at its disposal indicates that the Account holder is a person resident for tax purpose in more than one jurisdiction.

“The information that indicates an account holder is a resident for tax purposes in more than one jurisdiction, is expected to be available to Financial Institutions during the account opening processes for the KYC and AML purpose.”

Earlier, the Nigerian government said all persons holding accounts in different financial institutions are required to complete and submit the form to each one of their institutions.

It had tweeted, “This is to notify the general public that all account holders in Financial Institutions (Banks, Insurance Companies, etc) are required to obtain, complete, and submit Self – Certification Forms to their respective Financial Institutions.

“Failure to comply with the requirement to administer or execute this form attracts sanctions which may include monetary penalty or inability to operate the account.”

https://punchng.com/breaking-fg-apologises-for-asking-all-bank-holders-others-to-re-register/

We apologize for the misleading tweets (now deleted) that went up yesterday, regarding the completion of self-certification forms by Reportable Persons. The message contained in the @firsNigeria Notice does not apply to everybody. FIRS will issue appropriate clarification shortly.

https://twitter.com/NigeriaGov/status/1306879556503117824?s=19

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by BigEcommerce: 11:38am On Sep 18, 2020
You mean Confused Government of Nigeria?

Do you have products you sell? Why not get an online ecommerce store to showcase and sell the products to your customers, fully automated. Check my signature for contact details.

134 Likes 7 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Jafar1: 11:40am On Sep 18, 2020
Confused government, they probably thought it would yield them some money before ....

Whats the use of the BVN and NIN then

171 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Oluwasaeon(m): 11:45am On Sep 18, 2020
The highness don clear

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Kingpele(m): 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
Ok am relieved, haters of buharia over to u guys, it is good to admit wrong for the purpose of repentence, but most people abusing the government have never repented of their sins or even willing to repent of their own wrongs yet believe to be good in their own mind such are the real hypocrites... I see people call righteousness 89 hypocrite here and I laugh, if only u guys know what this guy is warning you about, u will love and appreciate him, I have lose consciousness for like one hour and every one thought I was dead, I sawc hell with my own eyes and people were burning and crying in that terrible place, when I woke up, no body preached to me, I use my own hand and give my life to Christ... I thank God for his eternal love for me

22 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by tesppidd: 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
Not for everybody. Obviously misunderstood.

Nothing to see here, except you're a wailer.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by INTEGRITYA1(m): 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
They take responsibility for the first time. On behalf of Nairalanders and Nigerians home and abroad, apology accepted.

Come and benefit from Pre lunched Price of "Hopewell Estate" at 2.5m per plot; to benefit more from fast value appreciation.
Located at Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos Island.

It has approved Excision already and proximity to development projects like: Dangote Refinery, Free Trade Zone Center, Lekki Deep Seaport, La Campaign Tropical Resort and so on.

For inspection and further details:
Tel: 07011333155.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Teewhy2: 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
All na wash, they wanted to implement it for everyone before so they tested the water by releasing the message on twitter but when they found every criticism they quickly retrieved the idea or do they want to say they information before passed to the government official handle nobody in FIRS saw the communique , same thing happened with LASG on 5% tax on online movies.
there is power in unity, even they way they communicate to citizens is always like Master- slave communications forgetting that we voted them in and that power is not forever.

Do you have a space (supermarket, Shops, Hospital, Restaurants, Hotel, Home & room e.t.c)and its important to keep away from dust, or isolates the noise or air conditioning? This is the perfect product for you.
The Magnetic PVC curtains fits both outdoor and indoor space
https://www.nairaland.com/5210989/transparent-pvc-magnetic-curtains

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by chinavs9ja(m): 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
It is glaring that the leaders we have are confused...They lack leadership skills...May God help us as a country.

I am a professional website designer and Android App developer. Check my signature

4 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by raslim20(m): 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
Is okay, yeye government

4 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Slawormir: 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Them want dey bill our people overseas now

Anyway...we accept una apology for now.. atleast we nor go go queue for form.....

But we know say una go find another way to take stress us before now till December.... this one nor work as una plan

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Iyoocartel(f): 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
Iyooooooo cartel

Never seen a more confuse government
Who get time to dey use Nigeria bank account these days. When boys for ogbe dey clear $20k kpa with blockchain daily.
One Chinese woman just forward me 6500 euros kpa after my online banking crash to settle my bills for Poland and come back Germany.
After this one I go knack am 25k euros kpa again for company project percent.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by wagazala: 11:46am On Sep 18, 2020
Confusion everywhere ...heya(in Fela's voice)

2 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
Awwwnnn, Apology accepted, we were only shocked, thinking it's another tax again
Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by horpeyemmi66(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
It seems Buhari's brain is skipping presently. God what kind of country you con see send me put.

France, Australia, UK, Germany, nah Naija you con see send me go. South Africa gan, I go manage, but why Nigeria cry cry

2 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Bobotic(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
YAHOO GOVERNMENT!!!
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Criminals!

5 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Prechgold1180(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
Bleep FG

Bleep firs

Bleep Nigeria
Bleep Buhari
Bleep oshiomole
Bleep lord luggard

Bleep Desmond Elliot

Bleep Police
Bleep Efcc
Bleep you

Bleep every thing
Bleep you all

8 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by ArchAnge1: 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
The backlash was Hot

BVN was torture, anything general registration should be done online henceforth biko cry

4 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
information dissemination is a big problem with this government, pls they should employ the services of a reputable PR firm to handle and mange their information problems and crisis before oneday they spread inciting informations without knowing.

3 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by fatymore(f): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
grin aww
Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by oyaskii(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
It wasn't a mistake, they meant the tweet but saw the backlash and decided to take cover and feign it as a mistake... confusion cofusionist government.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by visijo(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
I miss the guys who were born on the same day with me in the Hospital, that day we cried hey!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by koffsman(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
When will our leaders have sense of reasoning, this is what I call damage control what were the freaking thinking before. Useless set of leaders

3 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by roufy235(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
Good
Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by samtee37(m): 11:47am On Sep 18, 2020
This country na cruise walai grin

3 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by bolaayenimo: 11:48am On Sep 18, 2020
Apology kee them there

4 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by jojofola: 11:48am On Sep 18, 2020
Una dey ment
Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by Gondonu: 11:48am On Sep 18, 2020
Useless damage control by confused desperate criminals.

2 Likes

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by CHOPUP411(m): 11:48am On Sep 18, 2020
Hmmmmmm
Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by chinjo(m): 11:48am On Sep 18, 2020
This is what you get when a herdsman and a dullard is in power. Just imagine.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Apologises For Asking Bank Account Holders To Re-Register by MovieplugPH(m): 11:48am On Sep 18, 2020
Better because l was beginning to get pissed

meanwhile get hd Movies of different drives of choice sent to your location or copy into your hard drive if you stay in my location

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Folorunsho Alakija's Husband And Sons At Her Birthday Party / Bags Of Shredded Old Naira Notes Allegedly Dumped By CBN (Video) / Queues at CBN offices (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.