Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,597 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:15 AM

The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War (1648 Views)

Officer Who Prevented Ortom From Entering Air Force Base Suspended / Emir Sanusi Receives CP Wakili Who Prevented Kano Election Rigging / Ayefele: Ajimobi Said He Would Have Prevented The Demolition If We Had Begged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 12:39pm On Sep 19, 2020
The first African to be commissioned as a naval officer into the Canadian Navy by Queen of England on October 1

Commander O.Z. Chiazor, an unsung naval officer who prevented the defeat of Nigeria during civil war.
Read the excerpt from the pix.

Some Excerpt:

Q: SO YOU JOINED THE BIAFRAN LIKE SOME OF THE MID-WEST IGBO?

A: Not correct, there were Mid-Western Igbo who fought for the Federal side like General Cyril Iweze and General Alabi Isama and countless lower and other ranks. As I told you I came from a different background and training.
I returned to lead and contribute to the formation of Black Africa's biggest Navy. Being Igbo I was targeted and without any fairness, court martialled by the Navy I love so much.
When the war broke out most the senior Igbo officers were killed. Ojukwu who new my antecedents made me Commander of the BIAFRAN Navy. Gowon from the Federal side wanted me back to Nigeria. I decided to form a neutral MID-WEST Navy.
History will write it that it was me, Commander O.Z. Chiazor, who because of my position, denied the BIAFRANS victory over Nigeria.

Q: HOW DO YOU MEAN?

A: The war was decided by the Frigate NNS Nigeria. Without NNS Nigeria,Biafra would have been able to ship in enough Arsenal's to checkmate the Federal Forces.
Without the Frigate NNS Nigeria, Biafra could have busted the Federal blockade of Port Hacourt, the oil producing areas and the sea routes to that entity.
In 1967, the Frigate, NNS Nigeria was innocently birthing off the coast of Warri. I was in command of the Naval Unit in ambush when some BIAFRAN stragglers pushing to bomb the ship.
Actually their Recce leader had returned and reported that he had touched the tail of the ship.
In that situation they were not to proceed untill I gave the orders. My friend Admiral Soroh was the Captain of NNS Nigeria, and I had to make a hasty decision.
I ordered the officer to return to base. NNS Nigeria survived and later was to give hell to the BIAFRANS and eventually led to the effective cordoning off of the Bight of Biafra and coast operations in the Rivers and the Atlantic region of the war.

Culled from SUNDAY SUN October 12,2014 Page43
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by thesicilian: 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2020
An Igbo man. How ironic.
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 12:40pm On Sep 19, 2020
Pix

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by BigEcommerce: 12:41pm On Sep 19, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 12:54pm On Sep 19, 2020
thesicilian:
An Igbo man. How ironic.

We are asking them " how far? But they will
be pretending that what they betrayed us for is fighting them back

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by LikeAking: 1:25pm On Sep 19, 2020
lubish
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by BlowYourMind: 1:28pm On Sep 19, 2020
They want to twist facts again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by OAUTemitayo: 1:29pm On Sep 19, 2020
Another bundle of lies by dem dem
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by Goodmarlian: 1:30pm On Sep 19, 2020
The day seun bans the words Biafra , kanu and igbo on NL that day nairaland will crash...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 4:29pm On Sep 19, 2020
K

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by Amumaigwe: 4:42pm On Sep 19, 2020
donyfrank:

The first African to be commissioned as a naval officer into the Canadian Navy by Queen of England on October 1

Commander O.Z. Chiazor, an unsung naval officer who prevented the defeat of Nigeria during civil war.

Some Excerpt:

A: Not correct, there were Mid-Western Igbo who fought for the Federal side like General Cyril Iweze and General Alabi Isama and countless lower and other ranks. As I told you I came from a different background and training.
I returned to lead and contribute to the formation of Black Africa's biggest Navy. Being Igbo I was targeted and without any fairness, court martialled by the Navy I love so much.
When the war broke out most the senior Igbo officers were killed. Ojukwu who new my antecedents made me Commander of the BIAFRAN Navy. Gowon from the Federal side wanted me back to Nigeria. I decided to form a neutral MID-WEST Navy.
History will write it that it was me, Commander O.Z. Chiazor, who because of my position, denied the BIAFRANS victory over Nigeria.

A: The war was decided by the Frigate NNS Nigeria. Without NNS Nigeria,Biafra would have been able to ship in enough Arsenal's to checkmate the Federal Forces.
Without the Frigate NNS Nigeria, Biafra could have busted the Federal blockade of Port Hacourt, the oil producing areas and the sea routes to that entity.
In 1967, the Frigate, NNS Nigeria was innocently birthing off the coast of Warri. I was in command of the Naval Unit in ambush when some BIAFRAN stragglers pushing to bomb the ship.
Actually their Recce leader had returned and reported that he had touched the tail of the ship.
In that situation they were not to proceed untill I gave the orders. My friend Admiral Soroh was the Captain of NNS Nigeria, and I had to make a hasty decision.
I ordered the officer to return to base. NNS Nigeria survived and later was to give hell to the BIAFRANS and eventually led to the effective cordoning off of the Bight of Biafra and coast operations in the Rivers and the Atlantic region of the war.

I hope you are enjoying the one Nigeria you fought hard and sabotaged your kin to put in place. Hope also Fulani herdsmen are sparing your people from the killings and destruction of farmlands all over thr country.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by Goodmarlian: 4:50pm On Sep 19, 2020
Amumaigwe:

I hope you are enjoying the one Nigeria you fought hard and sabotaged your kin to put in place. Hope also Fulani herdsmen are sparing your people from the killings and destruction of farmlands all over thr country.

Did you know that the families of the over 1million Nigerian soldiers that died In the biafran war are yet to be compensated..
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by realstars: 4:50pm On Sep 19, 2020
This Is A Strangd Or New History To Us.
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 11:00pm On Sep 19, 2020
Amumaigwe:

My dear, those Midwestern Igbos really didn't try at all.
They are enjoying the one Nigeria now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by EMMY76: 11:48pm On Sep 19, 2020
donyfrank:

Some Excerpt:

A typical efulefu with all his loyalty to nigeria and betrayal of his own people the nigerian army still massacred his people at asaba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 8:47am On Sep 20, 2020
OAUTemitayo:
Another bundle of lies by dem dem
What you don't know, senior you.
You don't know it, does not mean it doesn't exist.
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 10:15pm On Sep 20, 2020
Mid -West Igbo, una doooo
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by donyfrank: 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2020
This story by O. Z is strange to you guys.
There are many untold stories.
Re: The Officer Who Prevented The Defeat Of Nigeria During The Civil War by baralatie(m): 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2020
a brave soldier that fought for the one Nigeria theme!
And For all officers that paid for the service to keep Nigeria one.

God bless and God speed

(1) (Reply)

Akaredolu To Jagaban: Do Not Campaign For Me / Our Igbo Brothers Suddenly Supporting Buhari APC / Ngozi Iweala Is Complicit To The Mass Murder Of African Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.