Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,382 members, 7,822,791 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Staphylococcus Aureus: Are We Really Diagnosing The Correct Bacteria In Nigeria? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Staphylococcus Aureus: Are We Really Diagnosing The Correct Bacteria In Nigeria? (469 Views)

Staphylococcus Aureus Is Ruining My Life! Nairaland Please Help! / Dr Maduka C Ogwueleka: "Staphylococus Aureus Is A Scam In Nigeria" / My Friend's Sister's Hand Has Strange Bacteria Infection (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Staphylococcus Aureus: Are We Really Diagnosing The Correct Bacteria In Nigeria? by braveheart77: 4:43pm On Sep 19, 2020
Are we really diagnosing the correct UTI in Nigeria labs? Why is 90% of infections found in a urine mcs Staphylocoocus?

From my research, staph is rarely a UTI but rather a skin infection and it can be found in the nose and skins of normal healthy individials.

Here's an extract from MayoClinic:

"Staph infections are caused by staphylococcus bacteria, types of germs commonly found on the skin or in the nose of even healthy individuals. Most of the time, these bacteria cause no problems or result in relatively minor skin infections.

But staph infections can turn deadly if the bacteria invade deeper into your body, entering your bloodstream, joints, bones, lungs or heart. A growing number of otherwise healthy people are developing life-threatening staph infections.

Many people carry staph bacteria and never develop staph infections. However, if you develop a staph infection, there's a good chance that it's from bacteria you've been carrying around for some time.

These bacteria can also be transmitted from person to person. Because staph bacteria are so hardy, they can live on objects such as pillowcases or towels long enough to transfer to the next person who touches them.
"

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/staph-infections/symptoms-causes/syc-20356221

Notice how in an entire article by a Mayo Clinic, nothing about it being a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is mentioned.

I have been battling symptoms of prostatitis and have been interacting with many foreigners on a foreign forum and it is surprising that only me has ever mentioned that the urine culture yielded a Staphylocoocus; infact a user once laughed and told me that Staph as a UTI is very unlikely.

So why then does almost all cases of UTI in Nigeria result in Staph? Could it be that foreigners have genitals that are immune to Staph?

I have come to the conclusion that the equipments used for lab testing in Nigeria is probably substandard and detects different bacterias as Staph. If you read 10 articles about staph, 9 out of 10 will not talk about it being a UTI. Foreigners also do not get them as a UTI (except some indians which i noted are a few and could also be because of substandard testing).

In short, could it be that we are being misdiagnosed of a different infection as staph, thus we get the wrong treatments and because it won't work we end up saying Staph is stubbor, Staph is incurable, etc. Maybe we have just been treating the wrong bacteria.

I have seen different bacteria causing UTI in foreign forums but you hardy see any of this from a Nigerian test result.

For example ureplasma which is described by wiki as " a bacteria that is commonly found in people's urinary or genital tract. It is parasitic, which means it needs a host, such as a human or animal, to survive."..

From this description alone it makes sense for infection to be a UTI but Staph is not defined anywhere in studies or articles as a bacteria that is commonly found in urinary tract, yet in Nigeria almost all UTI are Staph and well E-Coli.

See attached 2 of my many conversations with foreigners. None of them mentions Staph as the cause!!

Re: Staphylococcus Aureus: Are We Really Diagnosing The Correct Bacteria In Nigeria? by braveheart77: 2:36am On Sep 20, 2020
Abstract
One hundred twenty-seven episodes of Staphylococcus aureus bacteriuria were reviewed retrospectively in two hospitals to establish the rate of occurrence, clinical importance, and associated predisposing factors. Staphylococcus aureus was an infrequent urinary isolate, and accounted for only about 1% of all positive urine cultures.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/588962

The above research paper concluded that Staph Aureus accounted for only 1% of all positive urine cultures.. But in my country, virtually all urine cultures reveal a staph aureus infection.
Re: Staphylococcus Aureus: Are We Really Diagnosing The Correct Bacteria In Nigeria? by Jimbadly: 10:30am On Sep 20, 2020
Bro, the thing baffles me o. Everywhere you go in Nigeria and on the Nigerian cyberspace, one is inundated with tales of staph causing UTI and being an STD.

I have a strong feeling that there's another name for the ailment that people in Nigeria term staph infection.
Re: Staphylococcus Aureus: Are We Really Diagnosing The Correct Bacteria In Nigeria? by braveheart77: 10:36am On Sep 20, 2020
Jimbadly:
Bro, the thing baffles me o. Everywhere you go in Nigeria and on the Nigerian cyberspace, one is inundated with tales of staph causing UTI and being an STD.

I have a strong feeling that there's another name for the ailment that people in Nigeria term staph infection.

I totally agree with you, it has got to be a different infection; unless the type of staph aureus we have in Nigeria is different from those in America, Europe, etc

Let's wait for doctors, lab technicians, etc to air their view

(1) (Reply)

. / Why / How Do I Treat This?? Urgent Help Needed!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.