Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own (98841 Views)

Rabat, The Capital City Of Morocco Looks Like Europe / The Sleeping Lady Mountain In Alaska: Real Or Fake? (Photo) / A Trip With My Girlfriend To Obudu Cattle Ranch (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Malawian(m): 11:48pm On Sep 21, 2020
They better change the name of that place from "cattle" ranch to just "resorts" otherwise, they will wake up one day and see a thousand herd of Fulani cattle at their gates walking majestically to their new home.
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by DonMekino(m): 11:49pm On Sep 21, 2020
please what's the estimate of lodging there for few days? am planning on having my honeymoon at this serene place.
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Slynation(m): 11:53pm On Sep 21, 2020
100Caliber:
Do you think it should be renamed "Cross river Mountain Resort " or "Calabar Mountain Resort" since Calabar is already popular.
Yea...Something like this is even pleasant to the ears, I'm very sure it will surely boost patronage
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by konkonbilo(m): 12:02am On Sep 22, 2020
Ekugbeh:
pleas how much for lodging, food and all that
it depends. They have local lodging which is owned by the locals there. It's manageable though for a cheap price ranging from 5k as at then though to like 10k. Maybe there'll slight changes now I don't know but if you want the one from the cattle ranch it self, that one is kind of expensive. They have different categories from African hut to presidential suits but the African hut is the cheapest which goes for 25k per night. Though it's been long sha there must have been changes I guess. There's accommodation for 65k,150k and the president suit as of then was 350k per night depending on your pocket.
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by konkonbilo(m): 12:06am On Sep 22, 2020
Malawian:
They better change the name of that place from "cattle" ranch to just "resorts" otherwise, they will wake up one day and see a thousand herd of Fulani cattle at their gates walking majestically to their new home.
There are thousands of cattle there already owned by private individuals and milk factories.. Very healthy cattle. There was a yogurt factory there before in the ranch but its no more in existence.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Nobody: 12:28am On Sep 22, 2020
-
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Slynation(m): 12:36am On Sep 22, 2020
100Caliber:
But Obudu is too far away from Calabar to be called Calabar mountain resort , unless they build highspeed train which connects it really fast within 1 hour , but there are other Hills and mountains close to Calabar in Akampka which can host a resort .
Oops.... I've not been to calabar before, so I don't know about this, I've got plans to visit tho
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by kalu61(m): 12:53am On Sep 22, 2020
princefrank76:
A night lodging at the ranch is 25k minimum..!
I was there two weeks ago.
As a matter of fact obudu is my L.G.A
But brace yourself for cold especially at night and early hours of the day..!

U can contact me if u have an interest of visiting the ranch.
Here are my digits 08128431699
Apart from lodging, what are the cost to tour there as well as cost to transport to Oburu from calabar
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by xcellentgraphic: 12:59am On Sep 22, 2020
What a very beautiful environ
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by zomby(m): 1:11am On Sep 22, 2020
100Caliber:
I was at Obudu Mountain Resort recently and had a good time. I saw some foreign people there too. The place still looks very beautiful like Europe despite low domestic patronage . Maybe they need good managers and marketing team, and a good road network connection.
I've come to realize that average Nigerians just don' have the spending power ,and that's why most businesses like Resorts and shopping centers don't thrive too well .

A business thrives when local and foreign consumers combine, It won't thrive if it's only patronized by foreign. Even rich Nigerians prefer to vacation abroad. The Nigerian spending power is too low and needs to be boosted before such places can thrive.

The idea of resorts and national parks like Tinapa, Obudu Mountain resort, Cross river National park, etc. are great, if not for the low spending power of average Nigerian.
For now, it's just a shame.

Nice write up, but I disagree with your statement that a business like resort thrives only when patronized by both local and foreign consumers..it won’t thrive when it is only patronized by foreigner.

Without a doubt, a business may be more profitable When Patronized by local and foreign consumers, But business can also do extremely well when the main Focus Is on foreign consumers: for Example 99% of the resorts in Mexico only focus and depend on foreigners.

Obudu Mountain Will do much better if it is setup well to attract or entice foreigners. Foreign consumers are more reliable and spend more money with very little hesitation.

A resort that is setup to attract local consumers will fail...Attracting foreigners is the main key to a successful resort business...Forget the locals.
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by adonaimart(m): 1:49am On Sep 22, 2020
I feel d marketing team of d resort like all other resorts in Nigeria are not doing enough to attract customers to dia resorts.
Most of d guys coming there came through word of mouth advertising.
No where have I seen packages encouraging people to come to obudu on d internet or else where. D marketing team needs to improve and maybe, d management of d resort. U can't have such beauties and dont have patronage.

2 Likes

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Earnonline2: 2:09am On Sep 22, 2020
How
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by One4me: 2:22am On Sep 22, 2020
donbachi:
Make dubai build similar thing...nigerians go full inside.

At least you wont have Fulani terrorists herdsmen ambushing you along the way to the place, in Dubai.
You guys dont look at the whole picture.
How can anyone plan to travel to such place, when you dont know when kidnappers will snatch you on the way or in the place and kill your family after collecting ransom?

If these "bandits" (according to Buhari) can be killing and kidnapping military officers on the highway, now tell me what chance a Civilians has, to go on the road to visit such place.

Security first, Electric ity/Power Second, then all other things will follow
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by One4me: 2:25am On Sep 22, 2020
zomby:

Nice write up, but I disagree with your statement that a business like resort thrives only when patronized by both local and foreign consumers..it won’t thrive when it is only patronized by foreigner.

Without a doubt, a business may be more profitable When Patronized by local and foreign consumers, But business can also do extremely well when the main Focus Is on foreign consumers: for Example 99% of the resorts in Mexico only focus and depend on foreigners.

Obudu Mountain Will do much better if it is setup well to attract or entice foreigners. Foreign consumers are more reliable and spend more money with very little hesitation.

A resort that is setup to attract local consumers will fail...Attracting foreigners is the main key to a successful resort business...Forget the locals.

See, l have bene planing to go to this Obudu resort for about three years now, with my whole family but each time l appraise the RISK of TRAVELLING ON THE ROAD TO GET TO THAT PLACE, l conclude that the enjoyment is not worth the risk!
The DANGER of Kidnappers and Terorrist Fulani Herdsmen is what is driving Visitors away from that place and toursim in Nigeria in general.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by doe: 2:32am On Sep 22, 2020
If the poster have been recently why use stock photos?
I have been there. The place is beautiful but dying a slow death. It looks nothing like the photos. And the cable car was not in service when I was there.
The biggest problem for the ranch is accessibllity. Easier to travel from Enugu as it's just over 4 hours. Then a taxi from obudu town to the village at the foot of the hills. From there it's another taxi to the ranch.
A tiring journey but we'll worth the visit.
No electricity during day, cellular service is limited, very cold at night but rooms have heating.
Not much to do but to enjoy nature. There are guides at the resort that provide guided tours for a few in keke Napa.

2 Likes

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Ndipe(m): 2:37am On Sep 22, 2020
100Caliber:
I was at Obudu Mountain Resort recently and had a good time. I saw some foreign people there too. The place still looks very beautiful like Europe despite low domestic patronage . Maybe they need good managers and marketing team, and a good road network connection.
I've come to realize that average Nigerians just don' have the spending power ,and that's why most businesses like Resorts and shopping centers don't thrive too well .

A business thrives when local and foreign consumers combine, It won't thrive if it's only patronized by foreign. Even rich Nigerians prefer to vacation abroad. The Nigerian spending power is too low and needs to be boosted before such places can thrive.

The idea of resorts and national parks like Tinapa, Obudu Mountain resort, Cross river National park, etc. are great, if not for the low spending power of average Nigerian.
For now, it's just a shame.

I disagree, truth is that low patronage at that resort could be that we would rather splash our money visiting Dubai, Europe, America . . . so we can tell people that we "have arrived," and post pictures of these foreign visits on social media . Another reason could be that people tend to spend their free time visiting family in the village than to go to resort places.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Mentcee(m): 3:48am On Sep 22, 2020
othermen:
Like Europe? Not like the Amazon?

Modified
If anyone is interested in seeing scenic places and landscape, Europe is not the second or third choice. Australia, New Zealand, the South America and even Asia 'are' comparable and comes to mind; Obudu is a deep, and same with Amazon, so you can compare...that is the idea behind this remark. Really interesting that I have been referred to as having inferiority complex for such a simple assertion, question and clarification.

I'm on your side.

And I note your use of civilised language unlike the guy down there yammering about working brain.

He's always known to run amok all over every Nairaland topic cussing out vulgarities.

I mean the guy called "Simp"Leo.

Just note the weight of my support.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Nobody: 3:57am On Sep 22, 2020
The weather at Obudu Mountain Resort right now is 13 degrees Celsius. The Obudu mountains is the only place it snows in Nigeria.

Oban Hills close to Calabar gets as low 15 degrees . those are the coldest places in Cross River and one of the coldest in Nigeria . Jos Plataeu state and Mambila Hills in Taraba get quite cold too.

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by opribo(m): 4:24am On Sep 22, 2020
The problem is the host state lacks the strategy to drag traffic to that place. During holiday season what does the state do to attract customers.

How do they attract foreigners.
Do they have any package for the family and do they have any transportation system from airport to the ranch.

So many things the state government need to put in place to make it vibrant. My thinking is that private investors need to come into the whole arrangement and make vibrant.

Biannual musical festivals need to be happening their that will be televised like Sun city festival. Corporates needs to be given incentives to hold their AGM in the ranch. Of course govt needs to help by ensuring that officials on duty cannot go abroad but utilize our local resort.
Most importantly is securing the nation.

1 Like

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by fidelson(m): 4:42am On Sep 22, 2020
How much will one week vacation cost now? How about eletricity, hope its stable?
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by mrkings84(m): 6:07am On Sep 22, 2020
Vyzz:
It's actually beautiful...

One of the reason why people don't visit there or whatever is because of the name...

For a Nigerian who hasn't heard about this cattle ranch will always pick shoprite or somewhere else over here because the first imagine that will come to him/her is a place filled with cows and stinks of cow poop... grin

Who will blame them... The need some marketing

I have heard about the ranch but the only picture of it I have seen is that cow head at the gate grin

Thanks Op

But u should know that it's not in the north!

1 Like

Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Nobody: 6:08am On Sep 22, 2020
we have beautiful resorts but no security in their roads.
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by spyglaxx: 6:17am On Sep 22, 2020
doe:
If the poster have been recently why use stock photos?
I have been there. The place is beautiful but dying a slow death. It looks nothing like the photos. And the cable car was not in service when I was there.
The biggest problem for the ranch is accessibllity. Easier to travel from Enugu as it's just over 4 hours. Then a taxi from obudu town to the village at the foot of the hills. From there it's another taxi to the ranch.
A tiring journey but we'll worth the visit.
No electricity during day, cellular service is limited, very cold at night but rooms have heating.
Not much to do but to enjoy nature. There are guides at the resort that provide guided tours for a few in keke Napa.

2billion wasted on a resort rather than a manufacturing hub or a refining station.

AFRICA BLAMES GOD.
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by juniorstar(m): 6:18am On Sep 22, 2020
if I want to spend a week with bae how much should I budget?
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by omonla10(m): 6:28am On Sep 22, 2020
Factfinder1:

Please how much budget can make 2 people have a good time here for just a day??
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Factfinder1(m): 7:29am On Sep 22, 2020
omonla10:

Thanks I appreciate
Re: Obudu Mountain Resort Looks Like Europe But Nigerians Don't Value Their Own by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 22, 2020
Simplyleo:

This is what happens when you have serious issues with complex. undecided

Yes, to a human being with brain who appreciates nature, it is even prettier than Europe. Not even because of sentiment but from a neutral view point devoid inferiority complex.

This is about nature, not technology.

A human being with a working brain is more comfortable in an environment where he is treated as a human than where he is seen as a gorilla. undecided

But to a human being having issues with complex, even an European poo is more delicious than food in Nigerian eatery. Smh. angry

Bruh, it doesn't have to look like Europe to be considered beautiful and it doesn't even look like 'Europe'.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ghana Opens The Highest And Longest Flyover In West Africa (Photos) / My Trip From Lagos To Ethiopia, Kenya And Mauritius Island / "The Day I Left Vs Now" Transformation Of A Medical Doctor After Leaving Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.