Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? (32127 Views)

Lagos Rats Are Demonic - Man Cries Out After Rodents Eat Up His Stash Naira note / color paper sticker labels for as low as #5 five naira size 2 X 2.5 Inch / Fake 1000 Naira Note From Zenith Bank, Dutse Alhaji Branch In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by stagger: 4:17pm On Sep 23, 2020
Chai!

I still remember one day in my primary school days when I was so hungry and thirsty, and was just walking around the field during break time, only for me to kick sand and see a 10k coin. Bought myself a solid ice cream (those ones they wrap in big waterproof bags) and 2 large size buns.

Today, what are the chances of a child kicking sand and seeing at least N100 note to enjoy such a privilege?

2 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Bankalert(m): 4:23pm On Sep 23, 2020
Organicist95:

I just played a game on bet 9ja website

45 minutes remaining for me to win 51,000 naira

Pray that I win so that I can send you something
so did you win?
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by captain247: 4:24pm On Sep 23, 2020
remsonik:
Our currency rate is really dropping down this days and this has been bothering me for a long while. I saw some five naira notes. It's been in my purse for some few weeks but I don't see what five naira can buy this days. Yet the CBN still prints it out. Is the five naira note going extinct?

If fulani small pikin beggar could reject #5 it shows the money has no usefulness anymore.

3 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by ggood: 4:24pm On Sep 23, 2020
I remembered in 1998. 27 May children day celebration , my father gave me and my younger brother 50naira out anger cuz he didn't want us to attend the children day , I personally refuse to collect the money cuz it's was too small but my brother collect the money.

Meanwhile we have our own 550 Naira that we saved me and brother .

when we get our local government Secretariat I invited 2 of my friends to join us , we eat ice cream, rice and Stew , chinchin, stick meat, fanta, Cooked egg and many more . we couldn't finish the 550Naira i still come back home with change. I can never forget that day enough enjoyment.

Then Naira has value

I still remember I plate of food in the restaurant was 50Naira.

back then Garri was 15 cups for 20Naira

2 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Angrymode: 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2020
feedthenation:
Does ₦5 still exist?

Maybe enough to buy 2 tomtom

Which tomtom are you talking? I don't think 5 naira can even buy native chalk not to talk of sweet.

Five naira is useless if you don't have its twin.
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by BigBashiru: 4:27pm On Sep 23, 2020
remsonik:
Our currency rate is really dropping down this days and this has been bothering me for a long while. I saw some five naira notes. It's been in my purse for some few weeks but I don't see what five naira can buy this days. Yet the CBN still prints it out. Is the five naira note going extinct?

1000 note is the main culprit. It was a mistake to introduce N1000 note but the egos of men will not let them admit this truth

3 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Tecord1(m): 4:27pm On Sep 23, 2020
SirMichael1:
I used to buy maggi, 2 for 5 naira and 5 for 10 naira. Now i buy maggi 4 for 20 naira and that's not even the worse. The worse is that, at 1995, when i got my first job, i was being paid 70kobo monthly and that would be enough to restock my garri, rice, beans, meat, fish, make soup and stew for a whole month. Now i can't even get a cube of maggi for 5 naira.
1995 bawo, bros as at that time my transport fare to and from sch was 1.5 naira (1naira 50kobo).

1 Like

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by COdeGenesis: 4:28pm On Sep 23, 2020
I once gave N5 to one of these Fulani children that beg on the street. She refused to collect it, she para well well. The girl even curse me join
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Kentuforchrist(m): 4:28pm On Sep 23, 2020
Faller:

I promise you sir... you'll get something from me tomorrow.... with all honesty
brother me too....pls just anything....2212432181 zenith
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by ggood: 4:29pm On Sep 23, 2020
stagger:
Chai!

I still remember one day in my primary school days when I was so hungry and thirsty, and was just walking around the field during break time, only for me to kick sand and see a 10k coin. Bought myself a solid ice cream (those ones they wrap in big waterproof bags) and 2 large size buns.

Today, what are the chances of a child kicking sand and seeing at least N100 note to enjoy such a privilege?
correct bro your talking , in those days we really enjoy
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Kentuforchrist(m): 4:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
Mtncardseller:
Manage the little I sent you.
pls ma or sir am also here anytyn even if it 500...2212432181 zenith
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by BigBashiru: 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2020
Mekas2016:
So painful as of this morning the guy that's does exchange for me told me it is now 1 euro to 500naira!
Thank God I left Nigeria. Buhari really failed us big time.May God in his infinite mercies make a way for my dear country.

N1000 note is the culprit. It's easily accessible and human beings tend to round values so price of goods and services will tend to N1000, N5,000 and N10,000 causing inflation.

N1000 = about 3USD but it's like USD0.50 in Nigeria which is another reason things are expensive
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by SeunAdeniyi1(m): 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2020
Organicist95:

Bros abeg help me with anything, hunger wan finish me.

1 Like

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Sniper101(m): 4:34pm On Sep 23, 2020
Lol
this OP no get work o grin

.....me I can't seem to remember the last time I saw or touched a #5 note sha

That shit can't even buy sweet from an Aboki shop angry
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by dalass(f): 4:35pm On Sep 23, 2020
Olibboy:
#5 since when?....yhu will hear 3 for #20.

Yhu can also use #5 to do ritual when they request for all naira currency.

You be ritualist? grin grin
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by dalass(f): 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2020
Sniper101:
Lol
this OP no get work o grin

.....me I can't seem to remember the last time I saw or touched a #5 note sha

That shit can't even buy sweet from an Aboki shop angry

Its still in use as part of all naija notes used in engagement party grin
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Kentuforchrist(m): 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2020
Organicist95:

bro remember me too pls
2212432181 zenith

1 Like

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by sallazlee(m): 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2020
feedthenation:
Does ₦5 still exist?

It can not even buy 1 tom tom self talkless of 2
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 23, 2020
Notatribalist:
As we speak today if you change 100 CEDI's, you will get 7,000 in naira..Then you start wondering how just 100 CEDI's turned to 7,000 naira..Here is the secret..

In 2007 Ghana CEDI's was doing so badly that they decided to remove 4 zeros from their currency note..so the 100 CEDI's you see today is actually 100 CEDI's +0000= 1,000000...So as at 2006 if you wanted to change CEDI's to naira and get 7k equivalent, you would need to have 1million CEDI's.. Meaning 100 CEDI's of today is actually 1million CEDI's, they only took away the zeros to make the exchange rate powerful.. But such power does not reflect on the economy.

Wow!!!! Your explanation just opened my view to how these works....
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Sniper101(m): 4:38pm On Sep 23, 2020
dalass:

Its still in use as part of all naija notes used in engagement party grin

Really
Ok o

1 Like

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by stagger: 4:40pm On Sep 23, 2020
Stevecreativex:

Wow!!!! Your explanation just opened my view to how these works....
Thanks

It is called redenomination. Soludo wanted to introduce it here...senators kicked against it. It would have brought back usage of coins and kept down prices of goods and services.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by MiaBeer(m): 4:40pm On Sep 23, 2020
It can buy you one cow from Kastina State grin grin grin
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Pofgrace(m): 4:40pm On Sep 23, 2020
feedthenation:
Does ₦5 still exist?
TomTom sef is 10 per 1
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Yankee101: 4:41pm On Sep 23, 2020
remsonik:

The naira rate is really dropping and it's been so painful. What 70k of 5 years ago would do. 150k can't do it now. Even the 5 naira note seems to be going extinct as it's so hard to get any sweet or biscuit for 5 naira.

So there's no sweet, biscuit or bubble gum for #5?

What of akara?
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Sniper101(m): 4:43pm On Sep 23, 2020
Notatribalist:
As we speak today if you change 100 CEDI's, you will get 7,000 in naira..Then you start wondering how just 100 CEDI's turned to 7,000 naira..Here is the secret..

In 2007 Ghana CEDI's was doing so badly that they decided to remove 4 zeros from their currency note..so the 100 CEDI's you see today is actually 100 CEDI's +0000= 1,000000...So as at 2006 if you wanted to change CEDI's to naira and get 7k equivalent, you would need to have 1million CEDI's.. Meaning 100 CEDI's of today is actually 1million CEDI's, they only took away the zeros to make the exchange rate powerful.. But such power does not reflect on the economy.

Meaning; it's actually difficult for an average Ghanaian to come across a 100 CEDI, just as it's difficult for an average American to come across a 100 DOLLAR

Is that it ?

4 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by do4luv14(m): 4:48pm On Sep 23, 2020
If your childhood is from the early 80s, late 80s, or early 90s, you will cry for our country,

especially this present Adminstration

[quote author=LikeAking post=94226578][/quote]

3 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 23, 2020
The 5 Naira note belongs in a museum
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Thryphosa(m): 4:54pm On Sep 23, 2020
Some months ago, a sachet of pure water was sold for 5 naira in this part of northern Nigeria, it's now 10 naira.
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Notatribalist(m): 4:56pm On Sep 23, 2020
Sniper101:

Meaning; it's actually difficult for an average Ghanaian to come across a 100 CEDI, just as it's difficult for an average American to come across a 100 DOLLAR

Is that it ?
Yes,if you're not doing business. But if you're doing business you can easily get it,but you will easily spend it too.If you don't work in Ghana you're in trouble.
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by smartdigics: 4:56pm On Sep 23, 2020
Does 5 naira still exist
Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by Olibboy: 4:57pm On Sep 23, 2020
dalass:

You be ritualist? grin grin
I'm not a ritualist buh if yhu wanna do consultation I'm here for yhu

2 Likes

Re: What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? by WaleRock: 4:57pm On Sep 23, 2020
Original4u:

You are almost correct, if not for your first paragraph.
Let's stop defending mediocrity sir.

This administration is not doing very well and it's obvious when you compare it to previous administrations.

It's even more glaring looking at it from the point of view of the OP when she asked, what can 5 naira buy for you now? the answer is nothing. and that's not good enough sir.

Things are much worse than they were in terms of cost of living and living standard than in the last administration, I totally agree.

However, it's difficult for me to entirely believe that the economic condition in which we lived when the last administration left would be sustained till now if they had not been forced to relinquish power.

I guess we can only make assumptions based on certain parameters sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fire Guts Shema Mega Petrol Filling Station In Abuja (Photos) / Mtn’s Mobile Money Bank Suffers N22B Fraud, Drags 18 Banks To Court For Recovery / Dangote Lost Half Of His Fortune In The Last 6 Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.