Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal (2045 Views)

Kyari Appears Before Panel, Mounts Defence Against Hushpuppi’s Allegations / INEC Reacts To Tribunal Ruling On Diri's Sack,says ANDP Candidate Was Ineligible / Osun Gov Dispute: Supreme Court Hears Adeleke’s Appeal, Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 6:43pm On Sep 23, 2020
The Advanced Nigeria Democratic Party, ANDP, on Wednesday, asked the Court of Appeal in Abuja to strike out its defence to the appeal Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa State filed to challenge the tribunal judgement that sacked him from office and ordered a fresh election in the state.

ANDP which lodged the petition that led to governor Diri’s sack told the appellate court that it was no longer interested in processes its lawyer, Mr. Kehinde Ogunwumiju, SAN, filed to defend the judgement of the tribunal.

Specifically, the party, in a motion dated September 23, prayed the appellate court for an order striking out its briefs of argument and all other processes it filed in Governor Diri’s appeal and in two other sister appeals that were lodged by the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

ANDP anchored its application on the ground that its gubernatorial candidate, King George, earlier withdrew from its case at the tribunal and equally left the party.

It told the court that in the event that a fresh election is conducted in Bayelsa State as ordered by the tribunal, it would be left without a gubernatorial candidate.

Meanwhile, the appellate court adjourned its proceedings on the matter till Thursday, following another application the party filed to change its lawyer.

The notice of change of counsel dated September 23, was filed by another lawyer, Gabriel Egbule, without the knowledge of Ogunwumiju, SAN, who prosecuted the party’s case at the tribunal.

Consequently, Ogunwumiju who appeared before the court to represent the party, sought a short adjournment to confirm the development with his client.

”My Lords I am not aware of the motion for change of counsel. I would not have appeared in court to announce my appearance on behalf of the 1st respondent if I was aware of this development”, he submitted.

Although counsel to the appellants led by Chief Chris Uche, SAN, who appeared for governor Diri, objected to the oral application for an adjournment, the appellate court said it was minded to shift the case till Thursday.

The three-man panel of justices of the appellate court headed by Justice Stephen Adah, however, frowned at the way and manner the motion for change of counsel was filed.

“Although a party has the right to a counsel of his choice, the procedure should follow due process. Justice is according to law and not at the whims and caprice of a party. This is not a practice that should be tolerated”, Justice Adah warned.

It will be recalled that the Bayelsa State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal had in a majority judgement by two out of the three-man panel of Justices, on August 17, voided the outcome of the gubernatorial election that held in the state on November 16, 2019, over the exclusion of ANDP in the contest.

Two members of the panel, Justices Sikiru Owodunni and Yunusa Musa, said they found merit in ANDP’s contention that it was unlawfully excluded from participating in the governorship election by INEC, despite the fact that it fulfilled all the statutory requirements.

Justice Musa who read the lead judgement held that the tribunal was satisfied that INEC illegally excluded ANDP and its governorship candidate, King George, from the election.

However, in a dissenting judgement, Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Ibrahim Sirajo, affirmed governor Diri’s election after he dismissed the petition for being statute-barred.

Justice Sirajo said there was evidence that ANDP was disqualified from the election for fielding an ineligible candidate.

He noted that the party nominated an underaged deputy governorship candidate, who admitted that he was 34 years old, instead of the 35 years age bracket the Constitution stipulated.

Governor Diri had in a 12-ground of Appeal he filed on August 18, urged the appellate court to set aside the majority judgement of the tribunal and uphold the minority decision that affirmed his election.

VANGUARD

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 6:44pm On Sep 23, 2020
garfield1, AAA593, kahal29, ejimatic, AAA593, odiks, floreflorez obuksbayelsa

grin grin cheesy grin

Governor Duoye Diri work for your people.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2020
SANs come oooooo........

Another election in Bayelsa CANCELLED!
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by Bakason247(m): 7:08pm On Sep 23, 2020
Some waters have gone under the bridge.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by ejimatic: 7:13pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:
AAA593, kahal29, ejimatic, AAA593, odiks, floreflorez obuksbayelsa

grin grin cheesy grin
. If the ANDP applied for withdrawal of its defence before the appellate court, it means the appeal court will base its judgement based on the judgement of the tribunal and the defence of the PDP at the appeal court.. If ANDP does not have a candidate again , other parties will contest the fresh election ordered by the tribunal if the appeal does not succeed it is not necessary that ANDP has a defence to the appeal of the PDP.Judgement must be given either in favour of the ANDP or PDP.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by obami007(m): 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2020
Something has exchanged hands
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by helinues: 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2020
It was initial gra gra to seek an attention...

Hope they have gotten what they are seeking for cos ANDP is one of the end of the year party

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2020
ejimatic:
. If the ANDP applied for withdrawal of its defence before the appellate court, it means the appeal court will base its judgement based on the judgement of the tribunal and the defence of the PDP at the appeal court.. If ANDP does not have a candidate again , other parties will contest the fresh election ordered by the tribunal if the appeal does not succeed it is not necessary that ANDP has a defence to the appeal of the PDP.Judgement must be given either in favour of the ANDP or PDP.

What happens when you abandon a case?

The Guber Candidate has abandoned the case.

The Party has abandoned the case, what do you think will happen?

There is no case.
It is all over.

5 Likes

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by daddytime(m): 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2020
Settlement don happen. Lol

Jokers
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by BlowYourMind: 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
ANDP Party leaders have sold their conscience
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by Johnnyessence(m): 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

VANGUARD

thanks for the update bro.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by garfield1: 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

grin grin cheesy grin

Wow
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:21pm On Sep 23, 2020
garfield1:
Wow
Yea

Johnnyessence:
thanks for the update bro.
Always welcome.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by garfield1: 7:24pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

There is no case.
It is all over.

No sir.you are wrong.nothing is over.the court will still give judgment based on the majority judgment.it could have been over if andp was the petitioner
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by Racoon(m): 7:24pm On Sep 23, 2020
These mushroom political parties are always making a mess of the democratic journey in this nation.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by Johnnyessence(m): 7:25pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:
Yea

Always welcome.
thanks. Governor diri of bayelsa state wins.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:27pm On Sep 23, 2020
garfield1:

No sir.you are wrong.nothing is over.the court will still give judgment based on the majority judgment.it could have been over if andp was the petitioner
So you want me to spit it out?
I know what I meant by OVER.

Are you saying you don't know where this will end without ANDP?

Haba...there will be a judgement but you already know what it is.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by AAA593: 7:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

grin grin cheesy grin

I'm speechless right now. I think with this latest development the case will fly like a housefly. So they knew andp will be without candidate for fresh election. Let's see how tomorrow will be

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by garfield1: 7:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

So you want me to spit it out?
I know what I meant by OVER.

Are you saying you don't know where this will end without ANDP?

Haba...there will be a judgement but you already know what it is.

It was an application which the court has not approved and they have applied to change their lawyer so tomorrow,we will know better
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by ejimatic: 7:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

There is no case.
It is all over.
. I dont think so.....It was PDP that appealed..Judgement must be given either in favour or against PDP. Defence of the ANDP is immaterial. If PDP did not appeal the fresh election Must take place ..So the appeal judgement will determine the next action.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by ejimatic: 7:31pm On Sep 23, 2020
ejimatic:
. I dont think so.....It was PDP that appealed..Judgement must be given either in favour or against PDP. Defence of the ANDP is immaterial. If PDP did not appeal the fresh election Must take place ..So the appeal judgement will determine the next action.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:32pm On Sep 23, 2020
garfield1:

It was an application which the court has not approved and they have applied to change their lawyer so tomorrow,we will know better
I don't think you understand what is going on.
Kehinde represented the Party at the tribunal but the Guber candidate didn't even participate in the tribunal.

A lawyer of Kehinde's stand will not accept to 'kill' the case, hence, they are withdrawing the appeals earlier made by him and replacing him.

This lawyer will help them mount NO defence to Diri's appeal. If they were the petitioners, they would have asked the Court to withdraw the case.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by AAA593: 7:32pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

grin grin cheesy grin

I believe andp is only changing its counsel but still in court. What do you think Sir
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:33pm On Sep 23, 2020
ejimatic:
You seem not to understand me.
There must be a judgement.

But this case is dead.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by AAA593: 7:34pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

Kehinde represents the Part as the Guber Candidate didn't even participate in the tribunal.

A lawyer of Kehinde's stand will not accept to 'kill' the case, hence, they are withdrawing the appeals earlier made by him and replacing him.

This lawyer will help them mount NO defence to Diri's appeal. If they were the petitioners, they would have asked the Court to withdraw the case.
I don't understand your point sir
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by ejimatic: 7:36pm On Sep 23, 2020
AAA593:

I believe andp is only changing its counsel but still in court. What do you think Sir
It seems from what I read the party first applied for a change of counsel....The appeal may not entertain the defence withdrawal .It may be a breach of the court process. before the court.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by garfield1: 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

Kehinde represented the Party at the tribunal but the Guber candidate didn't even participate in the tribunal.

We shall know better tomorrow if kehinde can convince them to continue or not.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2020
garfield1:

We shall know better tomorrow if kehinde can convince them to continue or not.
Unless that.....
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by garfield1: 7:39pm On Sep 23, 2020
ejimatic:
It seems from what I read the party first applied for a change of counsel....The appeal may not entertain the defence withdrawal .It may be a breach of the court process. before the court.

Exactly esp if kehinde refuses to step down.from the body language of the judges,I don't see them striking out any thing

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:41pm On Sep 23, 2020
garfield1:

Exactly esp if kehinde refuses to step down.from the body language of the judges,I don't see them striking out any thing
See, Kehinde is only saying he will confirm from his client and if true, enter it in writing as he was unaware.

And if the client insists, there is nothing he can do about it. The Party can decide to withdraw it and it will be granted but there will be heavy fines attached.

Otherwise think, why will they want to 'pull-out' Kehinde now?
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by ejimatic: 7:44pm On Sep 23, 2020
fergie001:

You seem not to understand me.
There must be a judgement.

But this case is dead.
. If there is going to be a judgement that means the case is not dead.. To the PDP judgement in their favour is necessary.This judgement will be based on the evaluation of the Tribunal judgement and PDP defence. at the appeal court. The judgement can be either way.I dont want to preempt the appeal judgement on this matter.
Re: Bayelsa Gov Dispute: ANDP Applies To Withdraw Defence Against Diri's Appeal by fergie001: 7:47pm On Sep 23, 2020
ejimatic:
. If there is going to be a judgement that means the case is not dead.. To the PDP judgement in their favour is necessary.This judgement will be based on the evaluation of the Tribunal judgement and PDP defence. at the appeal court. The judgement can be either way.I dont want to preempt the appeal judgement on this matter.
See, I have faulted the Tribunal ruling severally.

The Court of Appeal had adjudicated on this before.

Can a Tribunal judgement supercede an Appeal Court's?

The case is not dead, but it is on LOW battery.

Don't also forget, the Court of Appeal will not just depend on the tribunal judgement, NO....

Diri has filed 12 grounds of Appeal, it is imperative that the ANDP replies...that is what will be the foundation for judgement.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chevron PENGASSAN Media Briefing On The Sack Of All Nigerians By The Management / More Than 48hours After The Alleged Lekki MASSACRE, Who Are The Victims? / Esn Are Using Our Orlu Brothers As Human Sheild, Why Are They Quiet now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.