Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 (2220 Views)

Problems Encountered By The Introduction Of The New Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit / Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit Now Free-nigerian Police. / Permit For Factory Tinted Glass? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by Wellas14(m): 7:55pm On Feb 28, 2011
POLICE TO ENFORCE LAW ON TINTED VEHICLES
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:32:51 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Police to enforce law on tinted vehicles
By Adelani Adepegba     
Friday, 25 Feb 2011     

Minister of Police Affairs, Mr. Humphrey Abah, has directed the police to commence the enforcement of the law prohibiting tinted vehicles nationwide as a measure to check use of such vehicles to commit crime, especially kidnapping and transportation of explosive devices and arms.

He directed that with effect from February 28, 2011, owners of tinted or filmed vehicles would be made to remove them by policemen on the spot, stressing that CAP M21, Motor vehicle prohibiting tinted Glass Act, forbids use of heavily filmed cars on Nigerian roads.

The Federal Road Safety Corps and Road Traffic Services personnel are to assist the police in enforcing the law.

However, cars with factory-fitted tinted glasses are exempted from the directive.

The minister stated that only the President, his vice, governors, the Senate President, his deputy and majority leader as well as the Speaker, House of Representatives were permitted to use tinted cars in the country.

Addressing a news conference in Abuja on Thursday, Abah said that other individuals, including judges, top military and police brass, are not allowed by law to use tinted glasses on their cars, and that they should therefore remove them to avoid embarrassment.

The minister stated that the current situation where seven out of ten vehicles were tinted posed a great challenge to security personnel as they find it difficult to identify occupants and contents of such heavily filmed cars.

“Whether we are honourables, chief honourables and traditional rulers, we are meant to be seen by the people we are administering. Those in authorities should ensure that the tints on their car glasses are removed. Policemen have authority to remove the tints on the spot. All Commissioners of Police in all the states and the FCT are to ensure strict compliance to the law. By this announcement, all permits given in respect of tinted glasses are hereby cancelled,” Abah said.

He stressed that drivers of tinted vehicles constitute a risk to their passengers and other road users as the filmed glasses preclude minimum safety standards, noting that the drivers are not able to make adequate use of their rear-view mirrors.

The minister further said that unathorise use of siren will attract severe sanction as such vehicles would be confiscated, adding that owners of vehicles with foreign numbers have two weeks to register them or remove them from the road.

Also speaking, the FCT Police Commissioner, Mr. John Haruna explained that his men had arrested and arraigned drivers of tinted cars, most of which belonged to highly placed people.

He said that the existing taskforce would be enlarged with personnel of the State Security Service, Civil Defence Corps, police and the military to enforce the ministerial directive.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/29071.html

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5679959-147/story.csp
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 28, 2011
Another money-making exercise. No doubt, clueless members of the NPF will be unable to distinguish between factory tints (exempt vehicles) and aftermarket tinted film (prohibited use). Of course, some members of the NPF will feign ignorance, all in a bid to extort money from owners of vehicles with factory-tinted glass.

Wellas14:

By this announcement, all permits given in respect of tinted glasses are hereby cancelled,” Abah said.

As for those that paid exhorbitant fees for tint permits (some as recently as within the last 48 hours) who's going to compensate them? Or will they get automatic refunds? Very unlikely. There's no justice in Nigeria.
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by potofsoup: 9:44pm On Feb 28, 2011
the law is the law.

LOL. Whether you like it or not.

Addressing a news conference in Abuja on Thursday, Abah said that other individuals, including judges, top military and police brass, are not allowed by law to use tinted glasses on their cars, and that they should therefore remove them to avoid embarrassment.

The minister stated that the current situation where seven out of ten vehicles were tinted posed a great challenge to security personnel as they find it difficult to identify occupants and contents of such heavily filmed cars.

“Whether we are honourables, chief honourables and traditional rulers, we are meant to be seen by the people we are administering. Those in authorities should ensure that the tints on their car glasses are removed. Policemen have authority to remove the tints on the spot. All Commissioners of Police in all the states and the FCT are to ensure strict compliance to the law. By this announcement, all permits given in respect of tinted glasses are hereby cancelled,” Abah said.
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by potofsoup: 9:52pm On Feb 28, 2011
Good law. Nigerian police aint daft men.

If you dont like it, doesnt mean its a bad law.
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

Good law. Nigerian police aint daft men.

If you dont like it, doesnt mean its a bad law.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Most members of the NPF are worse than wild animals.
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by potofsoup: 10:11pm On Feb 28, 2011
Bros. Thats not true na.

For Abuja, police man respects you. I dont know about Lagos, but for Abuja. Its respect all the way. But this rule is also to be enforced by the FRSC, are they the same as well?
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by tungstin: 10:14pm On Feb 28, 2011
Well, i have no objection to whatever law they put forward but i hope that my honorable minister realises that what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by potofsoup: 10:16pm On Feb 28, 2011
tungstin:

Well, i have no objection to whatever law they put forward but i hope that my honorable minister realises that what is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Gander includes the following people:

judges, top military and police brass, honourables, chief honourables and traditional rulers
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by tungstin: 10:29pm On Feb 28, 2011
Bros. Thats not true na.

For Abuja, police man respects you. I dont know about Lagos, but for Abuja. Its respect all the way. But this rule is also to be enforced by the FRSC, are they the same as well?

Abeg bros, i doubt if u are a nigerian. No b d same abj police shoot at an innocent bank worker some weeks back? Truth and fact is "An average policeman on our road is an extortionist.PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tinted Glass: The Police Bans It With Effect From 28th Feb 2011 by potofsoup: 10:40pm On Feb 28, 2011
Sorry o. When I say Abuja. I no count PAPE join.

anyway. i no be polica man, i no be minister, so, na my opinion o, no crucify me.

even dem call Jonathan rogue, talkless of a common policeman.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Rude To Stare At The Occupants In The Other Vehicle While Overtaking? / Service Your Car The Owners Manual Way / Innoson Presents Ivm G-12 Tactical Military Suvs To Nigerian Army! (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.