Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,264 members, 7,815,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill (569 Views)

How Adoke Misled GEJ Into Withdrawing Assent To Amended Constitution– Ekweremadu / Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill / Yar Adua's Handover And Senator Mohammed Abba-aji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill by koruji(m): 3:12am On Mar 01, 2011
Hear Abba-Aji: On the unconstitutionality of the FOI Bill, he argued that every public officer including the president is under oath of secrecy that is in the constitution ''which is what this new bill is trying to oust"

Don't we know it already? A secret society runs Nigeria!!!

By Michael Olugbode
28 Feb 2011

Special Adviser to President Goodluck Jonathan on National  Assembly Matters, Senator Mohammed Abba -Aji has said  his principal would be advised against assenting to the Freedom of Information Bill if it is eventually passed by the two chambers of the National Assembly

The House of Representatives had last week passed the FoI Bill.

The Presidential aide, who  told newsmen in Maiduguri Monday that he was disappointed in the House of Representatives passing the bill, declared that he expects the upper chamber of the National Assembly to throw it out, ''as the bill was against the nation’s constitution''.

On the unconstitutionality of the FOI Bill, he argued that every public officer including the president is under oath of secrecy that is in the constitution ''which is what this new bill is trying to oust''.

Abba Aji said if the Senate fails in its duties to throw out the bill, he would be left with no option but to advise President Jonathan against assenting to the bill.

With the expectation that Senate will also pass the bill this week, Abba-Aji however said he will work against the passage of the bill which if finally passed into law will give Nigerians access to information unimpeded.

Emphasising that he led the group that opposed the passage of the bill on the floor of the National Assembly during  Obasanjo’s tenure, Abba-Aji said he has not regretted his action and was ready to fight the bill to a standstill.

He said it was regrettable that the bill continues to drag for long and queried the support for the bill, stressing that no government or organization will offer its official secret to members of the public or the press.

The presidential aide insisted that all public institutions have information that must be closely guided for the benefit of peace, progress and development of the society.

Abba Aji declared that what distinguishes man from  animals is the way he handles information, noting that what happens in a house is not for public consumption as everyone has right to privacy.

He said Nigeria should be wary of opening its secret to the rest of the world through this unpatriotic FOI bill, insisting that instead of the bill what needs to be promoted is the Freedom of the Press.

Abba Aji who claimed that the Nigerian Press remains the freest, said even in United States of America (USA) information still get classified, noting that once information get classified in the US it is after 30 years that it gets declassified.

Abba Aji said since the FOI bill  will be running contrary to the nation's constitution is going to be an exercise in futility.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/abba-aji-ill-advise-president-not-to-assent-to-foi-bill/86999/
Re: Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill by Kobojunkie: 3:14am On Mar 01, 2011
undecided undecided cheesy grin oh. .  oh, I guess Jonathan had nothing to do with the passing of the bill afterall. I hope the senate does not disappoint, I would like to see this bill reach the president before the election
Re: Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill by seanet02: 4:45am On Mar 01, 2011
I have always known that GEJ is only playing games with this Bill. I know something will be cropped up to eventualy kill the bill. The senate has not even pass it yet the Presidential aide in the National assembly is now blowing winds of destruction on us. Beaf over to you.
Re: Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill by Raymonbell(m): 5:04am On Mar 01, 2011
Write it down this bill is a trap if gej did not get back in to power the next administration will be forced to pass this bill but he get there the bill will be thrown out.
Re: Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill by solihu(m): 8:56am On Mar 01, 2011
Waiting patiently on this one. So sure its going to be filled with a lotta dribbling. Well, at the end of the game of person holds the whistle!

Patiently waiting I tell ya!
Re: Abba-aji : I'll Advise President Not To Assent To Foi Bill by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 01, 2011
So they can continue stealing in peace

(1) (Reply)

I Will Stand Up For Tinubu With A Good Conscience!you? / Party Rallies: Acn Takes Pdp And Goodluck Jonathan To The Cleaners. Acn Supporters Dwarfed Jonathan / Some Presidential Candidates Just Want Their Names In Newspapers – Defence !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.