Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

Tire Pressure Monitoring System(tpms) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tire Pressure Monitoring System(tpms) (1166 Views)

Let's Share Knowledge On And About TPMS; Here Is Mine / What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) / Significance Of Maintaining Tire Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Tire Pressure Monitoring System(tpms) by MOTIONTECH(m): 11:51am On Sep 25, 2020
Good day fellow car talk brethren, today we are going to be talking about TPMS, Its use, how it works, what could go wrong with it, diagnosis and how to fix it.
WHAT IS TPMS?
TPMS stands for tire pressure monitoring system.
WHAT IS THE USE OF TPMS IN A CAR?
As the name sounds TPMS is a system designed to monitor the pressure in a tire but not only that TPMS sensors are able to monitor, the temperature of the tire, the pressure (psi), the speed at which it is travelling. But basically the purpose of the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) in your vehicle is to warn you that at least one or more tires are significantly under-inflated, possibly creating unsafe driving conditions.
WHY TPMS?
The use of TPMS became prominent in 2007 it became a law when the US government passed the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability, and Documentation (TREAD) Act. As a result of this legislation a lot vehicles on sale in the United States since 2007 have a TPMS. This was a result of numerous car accidents caused by underinflated tires, prior to the introduction of TPMS the only way to check your tire pressure was to use a tire pressure gauge which did not give you a live data of the tire pressure i.e. if your tire pressure is reducing on motion you wont know, the tire pressure gauge only gave you a one-off status of your tire pressure, with the introduction of TPMS you get an on-the-go information of your tire pressure.
TYPES OF TPMS?
There are basically two types of TPMS
1)Indirect and 2)Direct TPMS
1)The indirect uses data provided by each wheel speed. This is done in collaboration with the vehicles ECM using a certain type of algorithm in comparing the revolution(how fast each tire move) on each tire to determine the tire pressure.
2)The direct TPMS is the other type of TPMS that is mostly used nowadays. In this system each tire has a tire pressure sensor which is used to monitor the pressure on every tire, the data gathered by this sensor is what is sent to the car ECU which in turn commands the TPMS light to come on.
WHAT COULD GO WRONG WITH MY TPMS?
There are basically two reasons your TPMS indicator can come up.
1)When your tire is underinflated.
2)When the TPMS sensor is damaged.
3)Dead batteries
1)Under inflated tires
The number 1 reason you will see your TPMS light come on is when you have an underinflated tire, when you have loss pressure in the tire due to puncture or any other reason. The advantage of this over a non TPMS car is that it gives your on-the-go indication of the pressure in your car tire, so lets say you are on the road and you drive over a bottle and the tire begins to loss pressure, you get to see your TPMS light come on to indicate that you have a tire pressure that is below the manufacturer specific but if your car is does not have a TPMS you might not notice if your tire pressure is down which can cause a serious accident or damage your tire especially when you are on full speed and your tire is completely flat.
2)Damaged TPMS sensors
For both direct and indirect TPMS, if the sensors used to monitor the tire pressure is damaged, probably spoilt or has dirt on it (in the cause of indirect TPMS that uses data from the wheel speed sensors) you will get a TPMS MIL. In a lot of causes damage TPMS sensors or related sensors causes the TPMS MIL to come up. Specifically for direct TPMS where there are individual TPMS sensors for each wheel and on even the spare, once one or more of this sensors are bad the TPMS MIL comes up. NOTE: If your car is equipped with a direct TPMS it is important to ensure that you inform your mechanic or vulcanize of your sensor so safety precautions will be taken when working around them. TPMS sensors on direct TPMS are delicate and they should be handled with care, if broken or over stretch or not man handled they will be damaged.
3)Dead batteries
Direct TPMS sensors come with batteries which usually last for 5-10 years once the battery is dead the sensors dies thereby triggering a TPMS MIL.
WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN I GET A TPMS MIL ON MY DASHBOARD
When the TPMS MIL is triggered on your dash follow the following steps;
1)Ensure all your tires are gauged to spec including the spare. if the MIL does not go off follow step 2
2)Get your car to a technician that has the the right tool to diagnose the fault in the system and that's where i come in. You can contact me on 08092757438(WhatsApp and voice call) to fix your TPMS related issues and more. Below is a gallery of TPMS related indicator light and sensors. Thanks for reading thus far THUMBS UP

2 Likes

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System(tpms) by Presegs(m): 9:13am On Sep 26, 2020

1 Like

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System(tpms) by MOTIONTECH(m): 7:52am On Oct 01, 2020
Presegs:
Nice

https://www.nairaland.com/6143767/lets-share-knowledge-tpms-here
i just updated the thread, you can look it up.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Stolen Vehicle / Super Clean Toyota Corolla 2014 #43k Mileage 5.2m SOLD!! / Honda For Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.