|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,593,357 members, 6,015,361 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 01:45 AM
Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student / Zeph Lamar, University Of Maiduguri Best Graduating Medical Student / Esther Adaobi Azom Gets Car From Ooni Of Ife As Best Graduating Medical Student (2) (3) (4)
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by brain02: 9:57am On Sep 29|
Auladimeji:600 years for you! ediot
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Abcruz(m): 10:25am On Sep 29|
This happens when you read passively and not actively. To read actively, buy a new exercise book and for every topic you read write down possible questions that you feel could come out in your exam. For example if you're reading "Thorax" on Anatomy, write down possible question like;
1.The mediastinum is divided into superior and inferior mediastinum True or False
2.List the boundaries of the superior mediastinum
3.The heart lies in the left 5th intercostal space True or False
When you're done reading thorax entirely, then you can go back to those questions you wrote down to answer them. If you forget some lookup the answer from your textbook or note. This also applies to Biochemistry and Physiology.
Secondly try to join a study group. You're motivated when those around you are strong in the areas of your weaknesses(Physiology and Biochemistry) and you are strong in the areas of their weakness(Anatomy).
Thirdly, if you watch porn or masturbate, try as much as you can to stop that habit because it ruins your concentration and research has shown that masturbation also causes loss of memory.
Last but not the least pray to God for retentive memory before and after studying your books, because He is the designer of the human body whose mystery your still trying to comprehend.
3 Likes 1 Share
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by David2O(m): 10:39am On Sep 29|
mhizsuzzy:My current situation ma. I pray I get the motivation again! Although, I am yet to be a medical student.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by mhizsuzzy(f): 3:39pm On Sep 29|
Tips to kickstart it:
1) Pray yo God for help he is always ready to help you. Wait patiently he will do it at the right time.
2) I sometimes watch short study with me videos on youtube
3) Talk to a friend that reads a lot or that is still in the phase. Their advice can give you ginger
4) Self discipline over motivation ---forced motivation. You should force yourself eg every 7am-9am I must read something. Keep your phone away doing this period
5) This tip--- is a personal tip that was led in my heart. If you have had your holyghost baptism ie you can speak in tongue...talk to the father in another language for 20-30mins before reading. It helped me. The spirit works in you and flesh is submissive to its will.
God bless you
Hope it helps
Try them tomorrow. I will be expecting a feedback
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by mhizsuzzy(f): 3:42pm On Sep 29|
Dreyyy:You are welcome
Start tomorrow all that you have gotten and let's see how it goes.
Give us feedback
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by David2O(m): 7:51pm On Sep 29|
mhizsuzzy:Wonderful thanks ma
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Dreyyy: 8:30pm On Sep 29|
Thank you so very much for this. I appreciate it.
This idea hasn't ever actually occurred to me. I'll add it.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Dreyyy: 8:31pm On Sep 29|
Power of my mind. Got it.
Thank you a whole lot.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Uyi168(m): 8:39pm On Sep 29|
Getting admission and the schooling proper are two different ball games oo..
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Abcruz(m): 11:27am On Sep 30|
You're welcome bro. By grace we came to med school and by grace we'll carry on regardless of the hassles.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Abcruz(m): 11:29am On Sep 30|
If you were in med school, you would have understood his plight.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by pheezylyon(m): 1:57pm On Sep 30|
Boss abeg u get that book, my what'sapp digits dea my signature I would love to read it
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by MrEgghead(m): 3:04pm On Sep 30|
Dreyyy:I'm a medical student but in 2nd year. I noticed from onset before we resumed for 200L that I preferred reading Anatomy because of the diagrams and illustrations..I could spend much time in Anatomy than biochemistry and physiology and in same vein I knew passing anatomy alone wouldn't take me to the next level, I had to design a time table..Many Medical students I know of prefer reading their Anatomy than other courses which I saw as a normal thing. I read Gross Anatomy on Mondays and Tuesdays, Embryology/Histology on Wednesdays, Physiology on Thursdays and Fridays then Biochemistry on Saturdays and Sundays..This method has really helped me because I can't go a day without reading the course for that day, it has instilled a huge level of discipline in me..And with this method, I touch all my courses in a week..And I've set a standard for myself that I'm going to cover all my texts and notes two times before any test..I don't think there's anything bad in aiming distinctions as such people can never fail MB exam...You need utmost discipline and tenacity to survive the rigours and huge workload of medical school. Always strive to read between lines as it will give you a better understanding of what you're reading...
6 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by WorriorPlus: 4:33pm On Sep 30|
Think about the good life you will live, and the good name your will bear after graduation. Then reading and comprehension will come easy.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by brain02: 5:40pm On Sep 30|
WorriorPlus:exactly bro! this life ehn. I must be a medical doctor.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by daddyvicci: 8:15pm On Sep 30|
Hello, don't feel too bad most Medical students often feel like this.
By God's grace I am in my 500level currently, I can't forget 3rd mbbs I was seriously scarred I would fail pathology but at the end I passed.
My advice just calm down and study( Don't be too fast or too slow in reading) and make sure you are consistent in reading
2) Don't read off point , get past questions so your reading can be guided. The first aim is to pass your exam, I Know ppl often say medical students should read broad but the better truth is that if you read too broad you may miss the simple questions that will be asked in exams and if you fail you will be withdrawn, do what is the point of stressing yourself with too much knowledge you don't need for now.
Pass your exams first then in your spare time read as broad as you want.
3) Get a study group that can motivate you, honestly from my experience if not for friends that motivated me in my 3rd mb I would have failed pathology, I just had friends that encouraged me to study it even when I was scared.
4) motivate yourself,tell your self for ppl to have passed this exam that means it is passable yours can't be an exception.
5)The most important thing is talk to God , without God you can do nothing.
God is the that will give you the grace to read and understand.
5 Likes 1 Share
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by paul100(m): 8:37pm On Sep 30|
mhizsuzzy:Study with me videos on YouTube are very very great and helpful.It made me to believe in myself and read for 10hours a day after following a 10hours study with me video.I could not believe that it was me that is studying like this.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Dreyyy: 9:13pm On Sep 30|
How you did it, I don't know. But you've inspired me.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Dreyyy: 9:24pm On Sep 30|
Thank you so much..
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by mhizsuzzy(f): 9:34am On Oct 02|
paul100:Pls which data plan do you use for 10hrs study video
Cos I do only short like 15mins short clips cos of data
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Tohsynetita1: 11:12am On Oct 02|
mhizsuzzy:you can download videos and watch it later. Use night sub as data plans
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by dontrulee(m): 11:47am On Oct 02|
By the grace of God, I am a 500level Medical student and I have tasted the depth and heights of Medical school. I have passed wonderfully well and failed wonderfully well too.
'MB' is a double edged sword. It can be to your advantage or disadvantage. First thing I want you to know is that you should start thinking of MB as a tool for your advantage. I remember in 400level, I failed all my in courses. I failed everything and my pre MB was very bad. I had almost given up infact I had settled for resit or repeat but when the time for MB came, I prepared for it. I changed my attitude to study. I didn't consider the fact that because I failed my in courses or my progressive assessment that I would fail my MB. You know that attitude of if I perish I perish but I must give it my all. But by the grace of God, I passed my MB so well that I was promoted to 500level without resit. I couldn't believe it, it was like a miracle but I sat down to analyze how I did it and I realized the following points.
1. You need God in everything including your academics. Acknowledge him and he will guide your path.
2. Believe in yourself. Say good things to yourself, think good thoughts to yourself. Your mindset is very powerful oooo.
3. Be yourself. Don't compare yourself to another. My method may not work for you, you'll need to find that method that suits you best. In 200 level, I was the best student in my class because I tried a lot of methods. From Night classes, to cramming, to watching videos, to talking with seniors, to writing what I read, to teaching my classmates. I was so vibrant filled with energy and I passed well but failure descended on me when I got distracted, when I got seperated and wanted to be alone. I fell like a bunch of card. I thank God it wasn't late before I realized.
4. If it can work for others it can work for you too. Find out what works for others and try to incorporate it into your own experience.
5. Use your mates as an advantage. I remember vividly in 200 level and 300 level, males and females will come and meet me to teach them. They like listening to me because I can explain the basis so well many preferred listening to me than reading textbooks because I have almost all the medical books and I like reading a lot. I can quote several authors within the blink of an eye. And so, people understood that I was an advantage and they used me but I didn't feel use because I was benefitted myself. The truth is we are all not equal, that's why we have different IQ'S so use your scholars to your advantage.
6. Seniors advise are very Paramount oooo.
Utilize your seniors. Learn from their success stories and their failure stories. The first two people I met in Medical school were repeaters. They showed me were they failed and I understood what to do to avoid failing. I never knew that it was possible for someone to fail his pre MB and still pass his MB until I met someone with that experience
7 Likes 1 Share
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Tohsynetita1: 11:48am On Oct 02|
Also, there's a trick I do use to study, that trick made me study as if It wasn't me.
1) The goal of reading is to remember, that's why how spent in reading doesn't matter to me if you cannot remember anything. Whenever I read, I make sure I stay on a particular page I want to remember, I might be there for an hour but after that hour, I may not read it again, even if I want, it will be just once probably during exam preparation. That's my own reading style, I don't like reading twice but if I read something in a day, I will make sure I revise it like 10 times before the day runs out. Will still revise in the following day. I will be adding it to those ones have read. But I cannot do without revision, if you check my note,the top are always full with jargons that you will not understand, I do that so as to clad it from my colleagues. In fact during class note, if I remember something have read for long, I will just write it as a jargon on the top of my note. With this, you are not only engaging your eyes that most people often do but your hand,your mouth (I say it out also at times) and your ears,that's one of the best way to remember.
2)Another thing is make sure your mind is always on your book. Make it a must check per daily basis.
3)How you read matters;use the pomo doro method, this is the best method according to memory specialist. if you want to read for 8 hours. Use 1 hour for reading, after an hour, leave and walk for about 15 min, don't just leave and not exercising your body, this help in release of serotonin, and dopamine hormone that are needed for study. So make sure you exercise after the one hour, during that exercise, revise what you just finished reading. Then come back and continue, take water of about (0.2- 0.5 litre) at each 20 min while reading. What water does is to keep your brain hydrated and coordination will be easy. it's always like magic. You will even have interest in reading. Then, after an hour go for another (15-20 min) break, make sure this break is for physical exercise, not sitting down gisting . Consume much of nut also during this period, like groundnut,walnut,tigernut, peanut e.t.c. This stuff am telling you are not heresies o, they are tested research. In fact I can eat almost a bottle of groundnut, nut generally has serotonin, fruits also has serotonin, and dopamine. Consume them everyday, and you will see changes. Keep the cycle, you won't know when you will be reading for 8 hours and retaining almost all you read. Don't forget, don't just pick a book and read, exercises before reading, read,take water during reading like after 20 min, at 1 hour duration, leave and go and exercise again, urinate, and revise during the period, come and continue reading, drink water again. Keep the cycle going.
4) Another thing is memory palace. But am kind of busy now, you can get it online, or message me on my mail email@example.com
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by dontrulee(m): 12:05pm On Oct 02|
Let me give a summary since you don't like reading lengthy texts.
1. Learning isn't just by reading alone.
Right now, I don't like reading as much as before. The problem with reading is that you read and forget. Try discussions. They help a lot. Many times we remember what we discuss that what we read.
2. Check out YouTube videos.
Najeeb, osmosis and the likes will help you understand some concepts
3. Your problem is that you want to understand everything. That mindset wouldn't help you.
When you read a text, do not try to assimilate it word for word, rather see if you can reconstruct the sentence you've read to your own taste. That's why I like diversity, I notice the authors choice of words, then I reconstruct it to suit my taste and understanding and so anytime I remember my words, I remember the authors words and vice versa.
4. Relate what you read with what you can experience. I remembered I hated Biochemistry so much because of the many pathways and all that but I passed biochemistry wonderfully well because I associated with my mates who had first class in Biochemistry and came back for Medicine. I was the god in anatomy but I was deficient in Biochemistry and to overcome my weakness in Biochemistry, I will ask to be taught by the guru's and the funny thing was that I was scoring higher than them in progressive assessment. Infact it got to a point I was scoring higher in Biochemistry than Anatomy and that made me be the best in preclinicals.
Association is very powerful in Med school.
4. I can't say much about lecturers and attending lectures but it's good to attend lectures. Me for one don't like listening to a Prof who will just be ranting and changing slides. Attending lectures has its advantages, A.O.C and co, what lecturers emphazied upon and all that but I was able to boycott all that with the association I developed with my mates. So I may not attend some lectures but I will always have even more idea that those that did. But be careful with this approach, it doesn't work for everyone.
5. Practicals are very powerful oooo.
I love practicals, for my year two and year three I aced all my practicals. Anatomy, physiology and biochemistry practicals was a walk in the park for me. My mates nicked me god of practicals.
I attended practicals, read my practical manuals related with the staff there. Majority of time, I was reading in the laboratories and that gave me a very big advantage because I was able to associate with Master's and PhD's students and that improved my understanding tremendously.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by mhizsuzzy(f): 1:20pm On Oct 02|
I have phone space issues
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by paul100(m): 11:18pm On Oct 02|
mhizsuzzy:I downloaded the video.It took about 500mb.I just did a airtel night plan
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Tohsynetita1: 8:33am On Oct 03|
paul100:that's great, don't let there be excuse for failure, that's one of my quotes.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by paul100(m): 10:29am On Oct 03|
Tohsynetita1:Great quote.,thank you.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Acecards: 4:33pm On Oct 18|
mhizsuzzy:You have really been selfless and helpful to others and I can see your fire for God and passion to help others. May God bless you.
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by mhizsuzzy(f): 10:23pm On Nov 21|
Acecards:Thank you and God bless you
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Acecards: 7:06am On Nov 22|
mhizsuzzy:wow, it's been long I sent this. I have even forgotten. Please are you a medical student ? I would like to reach you out of nairaland
|Re: How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? by Karlifate: 2:58pm On Nov 22|
It seems you're a Sanguine.
You can read about Myer-Briggs Personality Types online & also take their test to know your own.
It will help you know your area of weakness & strengths.
There are some people that needs to several times before they grasp, some need to write down what they are reading while some just need to go through the materials once & they understand in no time.
What seems like a mountain of academic problem might just have a simple solution.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 205