Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note (312 Views)

Something To Worry About: This Nigerian Man Looks Very Dangerous - (Pictured) / INEC Should Cancel Lagos Elections / N45m Form: INEC Should Penalize Buhari For Violating Electoral Act - PDP Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by BluntNigerian: 1:11pm On Sep 28, 2020

I just compared the official figures inside the picture above (as released by INEC), with the Firsthand Live Results as announced by the various LGAs Collation Officers in the various LGAs for the Edo State Governorship Election.
I have to be sincere here.
The overall consistency in the figures is highly commendable and applaudable.

Nevertheless, there were some minor errors which I really don't understand how they came about. (They may be there as a result of human errors).
Minor data-entry errors are naturally expected, but they shouldn't be gross; if not, they would greatly affect the overall outcome of the election.
(For instance, such similar data-entry errors - although seemingly intentional - greatly affected the overall outcome of the Presidential Election of 2019).
Let's Get Back to the analysis of the Edo-2020 Results.

No.1: For the ESAN-CENTRAL LGA, The LGA Collated Figure as announced for PDP at the LGA Collation Centre was 10,694.. But at the State Collation Centre, the value was announced as 10,794. That means, 100 votes was mistakenly added to the PDP’s scores at the State Collation Centre.
No.2: For the OREDO LGA, the LGA Collated Figure as announced for APC at the LGA Collation Centre was 19,365.. But at the State Collation Centre, the value was announced as 18,365. That means, 1000 votes were mistakenly removed from the APC’s scores at the State Collation Centre.
This thread should serve as a wake-up call to INEC.
For the fact that INEC wants the Nigerian Voters to have undiluted trust in them even without the deployment of E-Voting and E-collation and E-Transmission technologies yet, then they should quickly release and publicise all the lower-level collated results in all the Future Elections to be conducted by them; (Both for all the Wards Collated Results, and all the LGAs Collated Results), so that, by the time we sum up all the errors in these released results by ourselves, and conclude by ourselves that the total sum of all these errors are still within acceptable limits, and then, get well convinced that the minor errors didn't change what our votes generally and truthfully represented; then we can accept the outcome of the Future Elections with full faith; knowing fully well that minor errors cannot be entirely eliminated in elections that were conducted using Manual Methods.

Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by BluntNigerian: 2:08pm On Sep 28, 2020
I hope that INEC would correct all these avoidable minor errors at the Upcoming Ondo Governorship Election of 10th of October 2020.
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by Brandstudio01: 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2020
These are one of many consequences of the absence of Electronics voting system like we have it in a developed countries. Imagine a manual voting system in full blown computer age.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by BluntNigerian: 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2020
Brandstudio01:
Correction ni, correction ko. I'm my country? Please let's get it right first before we start talking about corrections
The INEC I know have been heeding to advices all these while.
They've been taking serious corrections, and it is really something good about them.
It is in taking corrections that they would get it right as time goes on.
I know you want Electronic-Voting, ElectronicE-collation, and Electronic-Transmission..
But it cannot just start anyhow.
That is why they are test-running the portal for the prompt releasing of results.
Once it is perfected, then every other aspects of Election Technology would easily be implemented.
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by BluntNigerian: 2:20pm On Sep 28, 2020
Brandstudio01:
These are one of many consequences of the absence of Electronics voting system like we have it in a developed countries. Imagine a manual voting system in full blown computer age.

Like I replied you earlier, INEC is gradually getting there.
Things like these happen in phases.
Once the manual phase is perfected, then, the electronic phase would be easily perfected too.
But if INEC rushes into the Electronic phase just because other countries are doing it, we would still not get the best out of it at first use.
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by BluntNigerian: 2:52pm On Sep 28, 2020
Seun.
Lalasticlala
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by BluntNigerian: 2:52pm On Sep 28, 2020
Mynd44
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by Bluntsisi: 6:42am On Sep 29, 2020
The Best thing is Electronic-Voting, Electronic-Collation, and Electronic-Transmission...
Anything that INEC is doing manually at the moment is definitely bound to be filled with human errors.
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by Bluntsisi: 6:43am On Sep 29, 2020
We have had enough of INEC.
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by Bluntsisi: 6:43am On Sep 29, 2020
Lalasticlala
Re: Data-Entry Errors Could Be Very Dangerous... INEC Should Take Note by BluntNigerian: 6:49am On Sep 29, 2020
Bluntsisi:
The Best thing is Electronic-Voting, Electronic-Collation, and Electronic-Transmission...
Anything that INEC is doing manually at the moment is definitely bound to be filled with human errors.
Sooner than Later,, our Elections will definitely go digital.

(1) (Reply)

INEC Plans Migration To E-voting / Ondo Poll: 10 Days To Go! Obasanjo, Mimiko, In Tactical Manoeuvring To Stop Aker / [ Nigeria At 60! Citizens In Silent Protest ] ~the Moment Of Truth, & ‘the Worl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.