Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,085 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) (7409 Views)

Weirdest Moments In History Compared to Morden times ( Histogore ) / What Course Did You Study In The Tertiary Institution And What's your job now? / Nigerian Universities Compared With Football Clubs, The Result Is Amazing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 28, 2020
Australian scientist lets thousands of infected mosquitoes ‘feed’ on him – to help stop killer disease

A brave Australian scientist has spoken of how he lets thousands of mosquitoes bite his arm as part of research into a deadly infectious disease.

Dr Perran Stott-Ross, of Melbourne University, lets bugs lap up his blood daily in his quest to rid the world of Dengue fever, ScienceAlert reports.

The disease has exploded worldwide over the past 50 years and kills an estimated 25,000 people every year.

The insects Dr Stott-Ross feeds are infected with Wolbachia, a bacterium known to block the spread of dengue.

Speaking to ScienceAlert, the infectious disease expert admitted that the bites – up to 5,000 a day – do sting on occassion.

"Sometimes it can sting a little bit if they get you in the right spot, but mostly it's just slight irritation," he said.

"It's absolutely itchy later. As soon as I take my arm out, I have to resist the urge to scratch."

Dr Stott-Ross has worked with mosquitoes for years and regularly posts photos and videos of his research to his 2,500 Twitter followers.

In one post that went viral in May, he shared an image of his arm after a day of feeding, writing that he'd lost 16ml of blood.

Wolbachia is already a well distributed infectious bacteria, and it's helping scientists fight back against dengue fever.

The microorganism formed a big part of recent efforts to eradicate dengue in northern Australia.

The project started in 2011, and turned north Queensland into a "dengue-free are for the first time in 100 years", physician Richard Gair, Director of Tropical Public Health Services in Cairns said back in April.

Research into how Wolbachia might help other dengue-stricken areas involves the rearing and feeding of hundreds of thousands of mosquitoes.

It's painstaking work, and one that requires a lot of blood, sweat and tears to keep the many thousands of mosquitoes fed.

Ross works with the mosquitoes on a daily basis, feeding them by sticking his arm through some bug-proof netting.

Projects to release Wolbachia-infected mosquitoes to help fight dengue pandemics are expanding across the globe.

A project is Kuala Lumpa, Malaysia, has reduced dengue infections by between 40 and 60 per cent, Dr Stott-Ross said.

There's still a lot of work to do, but appears the tide is finally turning on the disease, which infects as estimated 390million people each year.
Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/12790586/scientist-infected-mosquitoes-killer-disease/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Peritome: 7:01pm On Sep 28, 2020
Hmmmm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Kriss216: 7:01pm On Sep 28, 2020
Do we even have scientists in this country?

15 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by iamoyindamola(m): 7:03pm On Sep 28, 2020
Crazy

1 Like

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by DaddyRochie1642: 7:11pm On Sep 28, 2020
I hope Nigerian Doctors and Scientists are seeing what their Fellow Colleague is doing grin grin

12 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by michlins(m): 7:12pm On Sep 28, 2020
Kriss216:
we have you in this country. You can become the scientist.

Thanks

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Jayrockk: 7:21pm On Sep 28, 2020
Kriss216:
unfortunately some are hairdressers now

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Righteousness89(m): 7:25pm On Sep 28, 2020
That looks really Horrible !
Looking at the Mosquitoes Feasting on His Hand,What comes to my thoughts is the Worms that Dieth not Feasting Continously on Humans in Hell Fire..
Brothers and Sisters, Hell is not a place to be.
Let's Do all we Should not to be there..
All we need do is to Surrender to Jesus Christ..

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by longetivity(m): 7:27pm On Sep 28, 2020
God bless him

1 Like

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by MJluv(f): 7:45pm On Sep 28, 2020
The beauty of science...

3 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by DenreleDave(m): 7:46pm On Sep 28, 2020
Over 2 million mosquitoes Don chop me and God bin so faith, I am still standing strong

4 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by DenreleDave(m): 7:47pm On Sep 28, 2020
Righteousness89:
Looking at the Mosquitoes Feasting on His Hand,What comes to my thoughts is the Worms that Dieth not Feasting Continously on Humans in Hell Fire..

Pls sir, is killing mosquitoes a sin b4 God?

7 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Vyzz: 7:48pm On Sep 28, 2020
Kriss216:

Yes...

The are Doc Agnes Nwanma and goko cleansers

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by vvvbobby205(m): 7:52pm On Sep 28, 2020
DaddyRochie1642:
I hope Nigerian Doctors and Scientists are seeing what their Fellow Colleague is doing grin grin

Which scientist, the one learning tailoring or makeup?
This country isn't Ideal for scientists

5 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by engrchykae(m): 8:01pm On Sep 28, 2020
Silly useless scientist or biological murderer?
Tomorrow he will weaponise his research and the world will experience another mass death.
The only thing Caucasians think is weapons,they believe whoever has the superior killing method has power.
Caucasians are the numero uno terrorists

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by ifejobi84754: 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2020
The beautiful of biology...

1 Like

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by CosmicPhoenix: 8:03pm On Sep 28, 2020
what's risky about his job?

2 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Gosj01(m): 8:19pm On Sep 28, 2020
Atleast is better than using us as an experiment again.

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.

Details on my signature
Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by starbuck(f): 8:28pm On Sep 28, 2020
See what Nigeria has reducted our youths to undecided undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by KingAzubuike(f): 8:29pm On Sep 28, 2020
ifejobi84754:
The beautiful of biology...
The beautiful of biology indeed.
Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by DonHummer(m): 8:43pm On Sep 28, 2020
Righteousness89:
even for mosquito thread.....haba you most link everything to your message of salvation shar

5 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Openbusiness: 8:58pm On Sep 28, 2020
shocked
Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by physicistman(m): 9:10pm On Sep 28, 2020
Righteousness89:

GOD LOVES YOU.

LOVE HIM BACK OR HE WILL BURN YOU IN HELL FOR ETERNITY.

1 Like

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Auladimeji(m): 9:19pm On Sep 28, 2020
Seeing this makes my body to itch me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Sabadon(m): 9:23pm On Sep 28, 2020
irks me damn

1 Like

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by leonard002(m): 9:49pm On Sep 28, 2020
Righteousness89:
Jesus Christ .... I wonder what this guy looks and sounds like in real life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by HomerTimpson: 10:17pm On Sep 28, 2020
MJluv:
The beauty of science...
untill you try this with lagos mosquitoes
Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by missbehave247(m): 10:17pm On Sep 28, 2020
good oo
Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by legendEMT(m): 10:23pm On Sep 28, 2020
I can only relate this experiment to the Nigerian polity and politicians.
Nigeria is that fresh innocent arm while the mosquitoes are the hell bent politicians that's sucking it dry of its millions.
On an occasion, the scientist said He'd lost 16ml of blood, similarly on a daily occasion, Nigeria loses millions of Naira been sucked by politicians.

God have mercy on Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by Mpcoll001: 10:30pm On Sep 28, 2020
Scientists and their quest sha! grin
Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by SirJerrie(m): 10:43pm On Sep 28, 2020
Thousands ofMosquitoes suck his blood everyday?? lipsrsealedlipsrsealed
Yuckk..

It's all done for the betterment of mankind anyways... Atleast that's what we are made to believe.
Re: You May Think Your Job Is Dreadful, But It's Nothing Compared To This (Graphic) by encryptjay(m): 10:49pm On Sep 28, 2020
The risks some of these guys take though... always making sacrifices.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDA Shortlisted Candidates 2017 | NDA 69th RC Shortlisted Candidates / Pls I Need Full Info About Ican / 10 Amazing Things you won't believe exist in this World Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.