Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,089 members, 7,818,273 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal (9760 Views)

More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Set To Increase Electricity Tariff / Electricity: Uncertainty, As Discos Bid To Pull Out / Electricity Consumers To Pay More As Discos Hike Tariffs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Islie: 7:20am On Oct 01, 2020
Against the backdrop of the suspension by the Federal Government of the recent electricity tariff hike, electricity consumers lamented on Wednesday the delay by the distribution companies in reverting to the old rates.

The Federal Government had, in a meeting with the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress held on Sunday night till Monday morning, agreed to suspend the recent tariff hike approved by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission for two weeks.

The parties agreed to set up a technical committee comprising ministries, departments and agencies of government, NLC and TUC.

It would work for two weeks, effective September 28, to examine the justifications for the new policy ‘in view of the need for the validation of the basis for the new cost-reflective tariff as a result of the conflicting information from the fields which appeared different from the data presented to justify the new policy by NERC; metering deployment, challenges, timeline for massive rollout’.

NERC disclosed on Tuesday that it had issued an order to the Discos suspending the recent review in tariffs for 14 days, effective September 28, in line with the Federal Government’s agreement with labour unions.

It said during the suspension, all tariffs shall be computed on the rates applicable as of August 31.

But a number of consumers, who commented on NERC’s announcement of the tariff hike suspension, complained that they still bought electricity at the old tariffs on Tuesday and Wednesday.

A Twitter user, Eleojo Emmanuel, said, “Hi @IkejaElectric, I bought units at 9am today (Sept. 30, 2020). I paid N5,000 and got 94.4 units. When do I get the balance of my units per this @NERCNG order?”

Another Twitter user, Prince Sola Olaniyi, said, “For a test on the update, I recharged N500 this morning, but I get hiked tariff.”

A copy of the receipt he posted showed that he got 7.46 kilowatts per hour, translating to N67 per KWh, from Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company.

Another consumer, Oyinkro Omukoro, said he bought electricity units worth N10,000 from Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company on Tuesday but got 169.80 units as against the over 320 units he would have got if the tariff hike was reversed.

Another Twitter user, with the handle @vller, in a message to Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, said, “Hello, AEDC, I bought power this morning 30/09/20 via @buypowerng but noticed that the unit received was half what I should get considering @NERCNG had already put a halt in tariff hike as at 29/09/20.

“Kindly give to me the exact unit that I should get based on the previous tariff.”

In its reply, Abuja Disco said it had received directives for a two-week suspension of the service reflective tariff from NERC.

It said, “This order will apply to tariff rates for electricity purchased from September 28 to October 11. However, our team is still working to adjust the rates accordingly.

“Customers who have vended on or after the said date, should please send in their details via direct message and we will escalate to the appropriate unit for resolution as soon as possible.”

Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company, in a notice posted on its Twitter page on Wednesday, said it had fully complied with NERC’s directive on tariff hike suspension.

“Prepaid customers who purchase electricity tokens from today will therefore see the value of the old tariff reflected in their tokens while post-paid customers will also see the old tariff reflected on their next bill,” its Head, Corporate Communication, Mr Abdulazeez Abdullahi, said.

The President, Electricity Consumers Association of Nigeria, Chijioke James, in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Wednesday, described the tariff hike as ill-timed.

He said, “The Discos have no option than to comply with the directive of the regulator. The two-week suspension is neither here nor there.

“The timing for the increase is not right at all. So, we are just asking that the status quo ante be maintained until a couple of issues are resolved and extensive consultation made with the consumers and all critical stakeholders.”

The Discos had early in September announced what they called ‘new service reflective tariff’, which took effect from September 1, with the tariffs being charged residential consumers receiving a minimum of 12 hours of power supply rising by over 70 per cent.

PUNCH

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Iconstar: 7:21am On Oct 01, 2020
ok
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by duduade: 7:23am On Oct 01, 2020
Hehehehehe

Nigerians have been scammed

Hehehehehe

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Baawaa(m): 7:24am On Oct 01, 2020
Who is deceiving who

9 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by inoki247: 7:34am On Oct 01, 2020
We know say na Handicap Federal Govt carry NLC before

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by BanMeAndFaceDWr: 9:11am On Oct 01, 2020
Mehn
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Felajack: 9:12am On Oct 01, 2020
G
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by AFvckingAlpha(m): 9:12am On Oct 01, 2020
The fvck

Niggarr!!

Ask me about a country that is not working?

I will tell you Nigeria.

Its been a union of tragedy, a catastrophic story.

1. A massive oil producing nation yet the wealth of the nation has been restricted to a meagre circle.

2. A country at 60, of our status yet we are still generating a meagre 4000 megawatts of electricity at the peak. What a shame! With a population of over 200m if I'm not mistaken, and still on the increase, how will the energy needs be served, even at an exorbitant price with new tariffs by the president, what a mess!!

3. Dearth of infrastructures in all sectors of the country.

4 SARS coming for youths. If you own a car, then your a fraudster. Well everyone is a fraudster then. Fvck it!!

5 The standard of living of the vast majority of Nigerians is nothing to write home about. I mean we are the poverty capital of the world.

6 We import motor spirit despite have huge reserves of oil, the 2nd in Africa. We discovered oil in Oloibiri in the mid 1950's that's been over 60 years, look at the mess we at now.

7 Our dumb president now likens us to Saudi, a developed nation, where the standard of living is one of the best in the world.

8 Now, we are now being classified with upcoming nations like Chad and Ghana, well we are an upcoming nation too. So sad!

9 This decay has been embedded in our political structure, it will only take a struggle to get rid of the cankerworm, but who is ready to die for this nation, I'm not ready.

Truth dey bitter, need no salt cos e nor be rice and beans or ponmo, Burna no lie, my people.

The future is bleak, let's call a spade a spade.

My people, never give up even in this trying times, there is light at the end of the tunnel for you if you keep striving but not for Nigeria anyways.

#Peace out

9 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by StrikeBack(m): 9:12am On Oct 01, 2020
NLC don scam una

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by frankmoney(m): 9:12am On Oct 01, 2020
The problem of Nigeria started since 1999 , when government decided to subsidise everything , they would have allowed Nigerians pay the original price since , by now things would have been better

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Mowsid(m): 9:12am On Oct 01, 2020
This country is a joke.The tariff hike suspension is just another format
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Adrian9(m): 9:12am On Oct 01, 2020

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Goldencheese(m): 9:13am On Oct 01, 2020
This government just continues to cause Nigerians pains and griefs when other nations are rolling out rafts of palliatives on a sustained basis for their citizens.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by chukwuibuipob: 9:13am On Oct 01, 2020
sad
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by moscow007: 9:13am On Oct 01, 2020
Ayuba don cash out grin grin ;....onto the next one.

You are still living in fools paradise if you really think any leader in any public office has ur interest at heart...the little they do is for re-election.
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by obyrich(m): 9:13am On Oct 01, 2020
They will never reverse it. I have been laughing at the foolishness of labour leaders who accepted such agreements. They were fooled, not me.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by toogbasky(m): 9:13am On Oct 01, 2020
They have done the needful today
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Olatunji1929: 9:14am On Oct 01, 2020
nlc na scam
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by ignis: 9:18am On Oct 01, 2020
NLC don cash out... You guys can lament to hell... It's your cup of tea.

All man for himself... God for us all.
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by Maranzano(m): 9:19am On Oct 01, 2020
Organised labour colluded with the government to betray Nigerians. It is difficult for prices to come down in Nigeria after going up. Labour was curiously hasty in suspending the strike when the government has not started the implementation of any of their bogus palliatives. The Next Level is going to be tough for both hailers and wailers. It's really unfortunate.
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by happy20: 9:19am On Oct 01, 2020
cheesy . Like someone said recently , "labour is just postponing the judgement day they are planning to execute
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by kayuseful: 9:19am On Oct 01, 2020
2wks almost finished.. Las Las, we go dey alright
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by tutudesz: 9:19am On Oct 01, 2020
Ikeja electric company is yet to revert back to the old tariff, 1 week almost gone out of the 2 weeks suspension and NLC is looking like fools.
The funny most of the staff of this useless Discos can't afford the new tariff and they refuse to revert it back quickly.

5 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by lomprico(m): 9:20am On Oct 01, 2020
one chance
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by adesegun121(m): 9:20am On Oct 01, 2020
Naija
Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by cinoedhunter: 9:21am On Oct 01, 2020
That agreement is a total joke . It's either the govt and NLC are idiots or they think we are the idiots. First of all, most consumers are not metered and are billed monthly through estimated billing, hence, the reduction in tariff for 2 weeks doesn't make sense because it can't be effective. The Discos are private organizations and hold a higher equity than the govt, hence, they are profit maximizing agents and I don't see how the govt wants to set price for them when regulation seems to be a herculean task.
The most simple solution has been like rocket science for years; meter every customer and implement cost reflective tariff. Thus, everybody pays for the electricity he consumes... But the meters seem to be on vacations in the Bahamas.
Most of these politicians have investments in the power industry. So, these increments in fuel and electricity tariff favours them like mad

See eh.... We really enter quarter chance for this administration. It's like everyone isn't serious angry undecided undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by HimName: 9:21am On Oct 01, 2020
If you think the country will get better with the current crop of animals we have up there, then you deserved to be sued and encouraged to part with all your valuable assets.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by nwakibie3(m): 9:22am On Oct 01, 2020
They are really angry grin

5 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by dadavivo: 9:26am On Oct 01, 2020
I have 3 unit left, I don't want to buy light yet until they go back to old pricing

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Groan As DISCOs Delay Tariff Hike Reversal by potbelly(m): 9:29am On Oct 01, 2020
It takes less than a minute to adjust their prices when there is increment but takes a whole lot more time to readjust when there is a decrease...

Who do this ones think they are deceiving?

Let's be honest... the discos wont revert to the old price...

And it's quite ludicrous for NLC to accept reversal of prices for 2 weeks...

It is well...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soldiers Rescue 30 Kidnapped Kaduna Travellers / Senate To Receive 2nd Batch Of Ministerial List Today / Biafran Military Uniform Causing War On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.