Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,197 members, 7,825,759 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? (1563 Views)

Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? / Is It Right For A Lady To Live Alone? / Is It Right For My Niece's Boyfriend To Visit Her In My House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Abbeylanre15(m): 11:42am On Oct 01, 2020
Morning Nairalanders,
I know we are in the midst of celebrating the country's independence, but I've got a worrisome issue I'd like to seek advice on.

I live in a room and parlour self contain apartment and I work with a micro finance company. There is a male colleague that I helped to get an apartment in the same house I live. My guy collected his office monthly contribution last week and decided to get a small car, I used mine for a separate thing tho.

Today being an holiday, my landlord summoned me and asked me how and where my guy got a car coz he can assume that our pay where we work isn't that bogus.

I was kinda angry and was short of words, coz I didn't want to insult an elderly man. I just told him that I will relay his question to the car owner.

I haven't tell my guy anything because he may not find it funny n that could lead to noises n I want to avoid that.

Should I keep mute or I should tell him coz Baba is waiting for response?
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by SIRRITE: 11:44am On Oct 01, 2020
If the tenant is always sitting at home and got no job.
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Flexherbal(m): 11:44am On Oct 01, 2020
Today being an holiday, my landlord summoned me and asked me how and where my guy got a car coz he can assume that our pay where we work isn't that bogus.

People can be gifted with cars. It is not only salary you can use to buy a car.

It is only the car that is making your landlord rase eyebrows or his life style in general.
If it is his general life style, he could ask him politely.
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Jafar1: 11:47am On Oct 01, 2020
Its a harmless question!
Infact its okay to ask..
The landlord is just trying to avoid trouble that may get him involved in a serious mess.

I'm not trying to accuse u or ur friend of anything bad, but lets assume ur friend got his car through criminal means and the police traced him home, don't u think u landlord also have some questions to answer??

Am sure if he knew u or ur friend is fully capable of that, he will never ask such a question...
Lets just say he is judging from what he is seeing..

Like I said, am just assuming oo..
Before u feel offended for the second time.. grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by uniqueboi1(m): 11:47am On Oct 01, 2020
Run from the EP landlord.

E go soon dae chop Una children.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 11:56am On Oct 01, 2020
SIRRITE:
If the tenant is always sitting at home and got no job.
....Did you read what he typed?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Day169: 12:03pm On Oct 01, 2020
Generally speaking, people can be funny. Landlord, tenant, you and me. But it's a sign of the times we live in.
It swings both ways. Landlord may be circumspect in trying to keep people with questionable characters away from his property thereby avoiding trouble. On the other hand, he may be a shylock scheming to latch on a chance for his money via rent increment.
Diplomacy is the golden rule here!
You know your landlord better. If you feel his intentions are good, it wouldn't hurt to let him know he got a loan from work (without informing your co-tenant till much later) but if he's (landlord) the greedy type, tell your friend to beware, after revealing the source to him!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by mariahAngel(f): 1:26pm On Oct 01, 2020
Abbeylanre15:
Morning Nairalanders,
I know we are in the midst of celebrating the country's independence, but I've got a worrisome issue I'd like to seek advice on.

I live in a room and parlour self contain apartment and I work with a micro finance company. There is a male colleague that I helped to get an apartment in the same house I live. My guy collected his office monthly contribution last week and decided to get a small car, I used mine for a separate thing tho.

I was kinda angry and was short of words, coz I didn't want to insult an elderly man. I just told him that I will relay his question to the car owner.

I haven't tell my guy anything because he may not find it funny n that could lead to noises n I want to avoid that.

Brace yourself for an increase in your rent!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Abbeylanre15(m): 1:44pm On Oct 01, 2020
Flexherbal:

People can be gifted with cars. It is not only salary you can use to buy a car.

It is only the car that is making your landlord rase eyebrows or his life style in general.
If it is his general life style, he could ask him politely.

He's not as cool as I am, but we work together and I know he got the car legitimately
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Abbeylanre15(m): 1:46pm On Oct 01, 2020
Jafar1:
Its a harmless question!
Infact its okay to ask..

I'm not trying to accuse u or ur friend of anything bad, but lets assume ur friend got his car through criminal means and the police traced him home, don't u think u landlord also have some questions to answer??

Am sure if he knew u or ur friend is fully capable of that, he will never ask such a question...
Lets just say he is judging from what he is seeing..

Like I said, am just assuming oo..
Before u feel offended for the second time.. grin

Lol... He got it legitimately sir.. but I think he owes no one any explanation about how garnered resources to get it

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Abbeylanre15(m): 1:47pm On Oct 01, 2020
Day169:
Generally speaking, people can be funny. Landlord, tenant, you and me. But it's a sign of the times we live in.
It swings both ways. Landlord may be circumspect in trying to keep people with questionable characters away from his property thereby avoiding trouble. On the other hand, he may be a shylock scheming to latch on a chance for his money via rent increment.
Diplomacy is the golden rule here!
You know your landlord better. If you feel his intentions are good, it wouldn't hurt to let him know he got a loan from work (without informing your co-tenant till much later) but if he's (landlord) the greedy type, tell your friend to beware, after revealing the source to him!

Thanks bro
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by englois: 2:01pm On Oct 01, 2020
Tell the landlord the general response of Nigerians which is: Na God do am. Yoruba interpretation is: Olorun lo se o. Ire a Kari o! Then tell your friend to buy two can malt and give it to the landlord. After that anything the landlord does, just ignore him.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Richy4(m): 2:48pm On Oct 01, 2020
I don't see anything wrong with him asking for the source of income.. In a sane world, u rent a house by providing your bank statement.. with that the landlord / agent will see the cash flow and your ability to pay without Default.. all curiosity swept away

I think he was wrong asking you instead of the other gentleman.
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by sammyobi584: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2020
Tell him that you used his daughter to do ritual.. Some landlord can be very stupid and annoying. enemies of progress

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by DenreleDave(m): 4:45pm On Oct 01, 2020
Abbeylanre15:
Morning Nairalanders,

Baba is feeling concerned... But it is none of his biz
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by PuZZyNegro: 5:36pm On Oct 01, 2020
I work from home. Have never revealed my source of income to anybody living in the same compound with me.

Got two cars already while always indoors.

I don't think your landlord has any right to ask the source of income of his tenant as far as it has nothing to do with ability to pay his rent and utility bills.

And to think he knows the guy is working. So, he never believed that the guy could save his salary, borrow money or even get gifted the car.

That landlord needs to mind his business.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by crackhaus: 5:54pm On Oct 01, 2020
Lol, what a stupid question to ask... cheesy
And you couldn't just say your friend saved up for it, so the matter can die peacefully.

Landlord wey dey find update, oversabi person...
Let him goan start pressing laptop na if that's what he's thinking... make him for buy hin own car.
Ode! grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by mariahAngel(f): 6:13pm On Oct 01, 2020
PuZZyNegro:
*I work from home.

*Have never revealed my source of income to anybody living in the same compound with me.

*Got two cars already while always indoors.

I don't think your landlord has any right to ask the source of income of his tenant as far as it has nothing to do with ability to pay his rent and utility bills.

And to think he knows the guy is working. So, he never believed that the guy could save his salary, borrow money or even get gifted the car.

That landlord needs to mind his business.

I'd sharpaly eject you if I were your landlord! grin

Kwick notice!

Go build your own house abeg!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by PuZZyNegro: 7:00pm On Oct 01, 2020
mariahAngel:

Kwick notice!

Hahaha

My landlord is just a young guy in his 30s (it's an inherited property anyway).

He's a real nigga huh. All we do is say hi to each other when we cross path, view each other's WhatsApp status and call/text each other when the need arises.

It depends on the type of place one stays sha. Here, no one talks to anyone for anything apart from the conventional "good morning, good afternoon" thing.

Nepa Bill and all other utility bills are pasted on the notice board. I'll just read it and make transfer to the designated bank account.

No other form of communication/interaction again. And this has ensured our compound remains peaceful for the past three years that I have been living here.

It's all these "Baba" landlords that give their tenants issues

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by PuZZyNegro: 7:05pm On Oct 01, 2020
crackhaus:
Lol, what a stupid question to ask... cheesy
And you couldn't just say your friend saved up for it, so the matter can die peacefully.

Landlord wey dey find update, oversabi person...
Let him goan start pressing laptop na if that's what he's thinking... make him for buy hin own car.
Ode! grin

Eggzatily my brother. This type of question comes up when the landlord either does not have his own car or expect his tenants to be poor and to remain poor.

I reject that type of landlord

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by mariahAngel(f): 7:48pm On Oct 01, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

Hahaha

My landlord is just a young guy in his 30s (it's an inherited property anyway).

He's a real nigga huh. All we do is say hi to each other when we cross path, view each other's WhatsApp status and call/text each other when the need arises.

It depends on the type of place one stays sha. Here, no one talks to anyone for anything apart from the conventional "good morning, good afternoon" thing.

Nepa Bill and all other utility bills are pasted on the notice board. I'll just read it and make transfer to the designated bank account.

No other form of communication/interaction again. And this has ensured our compound remains peaceful for the past three years that I have been living here.

OK. That explains it cheesy

It's all these "Baba" landlords that give their tenants issues

The Flats mates type of baba landlord grin
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by merieam16(f): 8:19pm On Oct 01, 2020
If i were to be u, i will tell him that i dont kno...moreover, u nt d car owner. buh really its an harmless question, the old man just wan do aproko
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by crackhaus: 8:26pm On Oct 01, 2020
PuZZyNegro:

Eggzatily my brother. This type of question comes up when the landlord either does not have his own car or expect his tenants to be poor and to remain poor.

I reject that type of landlord
cheesycheesy
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Liposure: 9:35pm On Oct 01, 2020
mariahAngel:

Kwick notice!

lol you would make a judgemental landlord
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Liposure: 9:40pm On Oct 01, 2020
englois:
Tell the landlord the general response of Nigerians which is: Na God do am. Yoruba interpretation is: Olorun lo se o. Ire a Kari o! Then tell your friend to buy two can malt and give it to the landlord. After that anything the landlord does, just ignore him.
give to caesar what belongs to caesar
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by Liposure: 9:54pm On Oct 01, 2020
Either he's been suspicious or he's been nosy nonetheless that was silly of him to ask
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by mariahAngel(f): 10:09pm On Oct 01, 2020
Liposure:
lol you would make a judgemental landlord

Better judgementally safe than sorry right? cheesy
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by SAVAGEBETS: 5:14am On Oct 02, 2020
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by candyguyofficia(m): 6:56am On Oct 02, 2020
Abbeylanre15 is your colleague the only car owner in the compound? I mean apart from your landlord. Mosttimes it's good to rent house were people are progressing everyone has a car or cars, if that was the case it will be your landlord jokingly telling your colleague to get a car or he will tell him he (landlord) is praying for him to buy a car.

Living in a house the landlord do not stay is bliss, op you did well by not telling him the source of your friend car and do not tell him

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by tobechi74: 9:34am On Oct 02, 2020
If the tenant struggle to pay house rent
Re: Is It Right For A Landlord To Ask How His Tenant Got A Car? by tobechi74: 9:36am On Oct 02, 2020
Your landlord know it is foolishness to own a car while living in a rented building ...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

é / PHOTOS: Banker Slices Husband’s joystick With Knife. / Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.