Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring (1588 Views)

Tinubu, Afenifere Leaders And Afenifere Leaders Sing Yoruba Anthem / Tinubu Presents 80-page Manifesto To Afenifere Leaders Sunday / 2023: Ohanaeze To Meet Buhari, Obasanjo, Atiku, Tinubu Over Igbo Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by bolaayenimo: 7:15am On Oct 02, 2020
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Two prominent lead­ers of pan-Yoruba so­cio-political organisa­tion, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, and Aremo Olusegun Osoba, a former governor of Ogun State, on Thursday, traded words over the zoning of the 2023 presi­dency and whether or not the South-West should boycott the general elections.

While Adebanjo belonged to the Reuben Fasoranti-led faction of Afenifere, Osoba is a member of the faction led by the late Senator Ayo Fasanmi.

Osoba, who spoke with Daily Independent, said Ade­banjo’s position that the 2023 presidency should be zoned to the South-East is wrong as the statement was his personal opinion and not the general position of Yoruba leaders.

He said the Afenifere lead­er had no power to take uni­lateral decisions on such a sensitive matter without the input of other Yoruba leaders.

Osoba, who described Ade­banjo as a dictator, also said Adebanjo’s position that the South-West should boycott the 2023 presidential election due to the failure of the All Progressives Congress (AP­C)-led Federal Government to restructure the country was wrong.

According to him, while the Igbo have a right to contest for the position of the highest office in the land in 2023, the Yoruba and other Nigerians also have a right to do so.

Going down memory lane, Osoba challenged Adebanjo to tell the world where he got his boycott philosophy from, say­ing the late Obafemi Awolowo, whom Adebanjo claimed to be emulating, never support­ed the boycott of elections during his lifetime.

He said: “There are two is­sues that I disagree with Ade­banjo on. For example, in his own dictatorial way, he says he has now zoned the 2023 presidency to the Igbo.

“I want to query him – who is he to zone the Yoruba race out of the presidential race in 2023? Who is he?

“Where did we meet as Yoruba to say that we are ced­ing the presidency to the Igbo?

Awolowo will not behave like that. There will be a meeting where there will be consensus.

“Of course, the Igbo have a right to contest in 2023 just as I, as a Yoruba man, also have a right to contest.

“But he (Adebanjo) has unilaterally zoned it to the Igbo. That is part of his dicta­torial attitude. He is a dictator.

“Two, he says we must boy­cott the 2023 elections. Where did we sit down to decide that the Yoruba will boycott the 2023 elections?

“He doesn’t read history, even the history that he was part of. In 1964, he was then still in exile in Ghana.

The issue of boycott arose. The National Congress of Nigeria Citizens (NCNC) and Action Congress (AG) went into an alliance and formed the United Progressive Grand Alliance (UPGA).

“Overnight, they decid­ed to boycott the election. Awolowo, who was then in Calabar prison, sent a mes­sage that we should never boycott the election.

“He said boycott is not rec­ognised by law anywhere and that we will lose out.

“Of course, we boycotted and we lost out in the govern­ment that was formed in 1964.

“Our other wing of UPGA in the East refused to boycott and so we produced nobody in the National Assembly then. Awolowo has never been a supporter of boycotts.

“Adebanjo should give me an example of when Awolowo ever boycotted and where he (Adebanjo) got that philoso­phy from.

“I query him, where did we meet as Yoruba to say that we are going to boycott the 2023 election?

“Even if we boycott, other Yoruba will go into the race. The PDP Yoruba will contest, and so, who is the loser?

“If we are going to boycott, let it be that all of us sat down together, debated it, and ar­rived at a conclusion.

“There are two major is­sues that Adebanjo is preach­ing, which are unrealistic and which Awolowo would never have supported. Awolowo will never in his life support boy­cotts.”

On the way forward, Oso­ba, who said he had no person­al issues with Adebanjo, said there is a need for the Yoruba to bring in young people to have a conversation on the way forward while elders like him and Adebanjo take the back seat.

“I have no war with him as far as I am concerned. What is paramount to me is, let us stop using insulting, abusive languages and antagonising too many people.

“Let us find a way of bring­ing different opinions and views to the table. In a de­mocracy, let everybody have a say. As a journalist, that is my training.

“Ninety-five percent of what we journalists publish are opinions and views that we disagree with, but we will still go ahead and publish these views and leave the public to judge.

“That is our training. I don’t know what kind of training he has that he has no room for second opinion, third opinion or anything that does not agree with his own opinion.

“The way forward is, the Yoruba nation must come to­gether. All the young elements must be brought in. I’m at an advanced age of 81, he is 92. At this stage, young people like you should be in the forefront.

When contacted, Adebanjo said Osoba was speaking from a position of ignorance as the issue of the 2023 presidency is not a Yoruba affair.

“He is speaking from a po­sition of ignorance. The issue of the 2023 presidency is not a Yoruba issue, it is about na­tionalism. Presidency is not a Yoruba affair. That is what they don’t understand.

“We are talking of the rotation of the presidency. Osoba and his likes are so narrow-minded and unprin­cipled.

“It is not a question of whether Yoruba leaders sit down to discuss it or not. They are so parochial in their approach to issues.

“When we are talking of rotation of the presidency, the Yoruba have had it; the Fulani have had it; the Ijaw have had it, but the Igbo have not had it. Is that how to keep Nigeria to­gether? He should stop talking nonsense.”

https://www.independent.ng/2023-afenifere-leaders-fight-over-igbo-presidency-election-boycott/

3 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by omowolewa: 7:19am On Oct 02, 2020
Okay
Where did we meet as Yoruba to say that we are ced­ing the presidency to the Igbo?

If we are going to boycott, let it be that all of us sat down together, debated it, and ar­rived at a conclusion.

The two of them has a vote both in the Party election and General Election.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by donbachi(m): 7:20am On Oct 02, 2020
Pre 2023 confusions.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by AllOfUsAtManna(f): 7:25am On Oct 02, 2020
real afenifere (oyebanjo) vs yeroba Muslim version of afenifere

anything good in yeroba land has been factionized by yeroba Muslims.

afenifere
Amotekun
even yeroba Muslims have factions

3 factions of yeroba Muslims are

sensible ones
Tinubu's faction
HRM prof ishaq Akintola faction though he's the recognized Supreme leader of indigenous yeroba Muslims.

I'm done talking angry

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by helinues: 7:29am On Oct 02, 2020
Baba Ayo Adebanjo go soon reach stage wey people go dey tell him to shut up..

Awon agba with no weight

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by orisa37: 7:30am On Oct 02, 2020
ODUDUWA IS A BOND OF CHARACTER FOR THOSE IN THE REGION.

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Madmohamed419(m): 7:30am On Oct 02, 2020
bolaayenimo:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Two prominent lead­ers of pan-Yoruba so­cio-political organisa­tion, Afenifere, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, and Aremo Olusegun Osoba, a former governor of Ogun State, on Thursday, traded words over the zoning of the 2023 presi­dency and whether or not the South-West should boycott the general elections.

While Adebanjo belonged to the Reuben Fasoranti-led faction of Afenifere, Osoba is a member of the faction led by the late Senator Ayo Fasanmi.

Osoba, who spoke with Daily Independent, said Ade­banjo’s position that the 2023 presidency should be zoned to the South-East is wrong as the statement was his personal opinion and not the general position of Yoruba leaders.

He said the Afenifere lead­er had no power to take uni­lateral decisions on such a sensitive matter without the input of other Yoruba leaders.

Osoba, who described Ade­banjo as a dictator, also said Adebanjo’s position that the South-West should boycott the 2023 presidential election due to the failure of the All Progressives Congress (AP­C)-led Federal Government to restructure the country was wrong.

According to him, while the Igbo have a right to contest for the position of the highest office in the land in 2023, the Yoruba and other Nigerians also have a right to do so.

Going down memory lane, Osoba challenged Adebanjo to tell the world where he got his boycott philosophy from, say­ing the late Obafemi Awolowo, whom Adebanjo claimed to be emulating, never support­ed the boycott of elections during his lifetime.

He said: “There are two is­sues that I disagree with Ade­banjo on. For example, in his own dictatorial way, he says he has now zoned the 2023 presidency to the Igbo.

“I want to query him – who is he to zone the Yoruba race out of the presidential race in 2023? Who is he?

“Where did we meet as Yoruba to say that we are ced­ing the presidency to the Igbo?

Awolowo will not behave like that. There will be a meeting where there will be consensus.

“Of course, the Igbo have a right to contest in 2023 just as I, as a Yoruba man, also have a right to contest.

“But he (Adebanjo) has unilaterally zoned it to the Igbo. That is part of his dicta­torial attitude. He is a dictator.

“Two, he says we must boy­cott the 2023 elections. Where did we sit down to decide that the Yoruba will boycott the 2023 elections?

“He doesn’t read history, even the history that he was part of. In 1964, he was then still in exile in Ghana.

The issue of boycott arose. The National Congress of Nigeria Citizens (NCNC) and Action Congress (AG) went into an alliance and formed the United Progressive Grand Alliance (UPGA).

“Overnight, they decid­ed to boycott the election. Awolowo, who was then in Calabar prison, sent a mes­sage that we should never boycott the election.

“Of course, we boycotted and we lost out in the govern­ment that was formed in 1964.

“Our other wing of UPGA in the East refused to boycott and so we produced nobody in the National Assembly then. Awolowo has never been a supporter of boycotts.

“Adebanjo should give me an example of when Awolowo ever boycotted and where he (Adebanjo) got that philoso­phy from.

“I query him, where did we meet as Yoruba to say that we are going to boycott the 2023 election?

“Even if we boycott, other Yoruba will go into the race. The PDP Yoruba will contest, and so, who is the loser?

“If we are going to boycott, let it be that all of us sat down together, debated it, and ar­rived at a conclusion.

“There are two major is­sues that Adebanjo is preach­ing, which are unrealistic and which Awolowo would never have supported. Awolowo will never in his life support boy­cotts.”

On the way forward, Oso­ba, who said he had no person­al issues with Adebanjo, said there is a need for the Yoruba to bring in young people to have a conversation on the way forward while elders like him and Adebanjo take the back seat.

“I have no war with him as far as I am concerned. What is paramount to me is, let us stop using insulting, abusive languages and antagonising too many people.

“Let us find a way of bring­ing different opinions and views to the table. In a de­mocracy, let everybody have a say. As a journalist, that is my training.

“Ninety-five percent of what we journalists publish are opinions and views that we disagree with, but we will still go ahead and publish these views and leave the public to judge.

“That is our training. I don’t know what kind of training he has that he has no room for second opinion, third opinion or anything that does not agree with his own opinion.

“The way forward is, the Yoruba nation must come to­gether. All the young elements must be brought in. I’m at an advanced age of 81, he is 92. At this stage, young people like you should be in the forefront.

When contacted, Adebanjo said Osoba was speaking from a position of ignorance as the issue of the 2023 presidency is not a Yoruba affair.

“He is speaking from a po­sition of ignorance. The issue of the 2023 presidency is not a Yoruba issue, it is about na­tionalism. Presidency is not a Yoruba affair. That is what they don’t understand.

“We are talking of the rotation of the presidency. Osoba and his likes are so narrow-minded and unprin­cipled.

“It is not a question of whether Yoruba leaders sit down to discuss it or not. They are so parochial in their approach to issues.

“When we are talking of rotation of the presidency, the Yoruba have had it; the Fulani have had it; the Ijaw have had it, but the Igbo have not had it. Is that how to keep Nigeria to­gether? He should stop talking nonsense.”

https://www.independent.ng/2023-afenifere-leaders-fight-over-igbo-presidency-election-boycott/
he said no insult but he call him dictator. Who is filling who know

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by SLAP44: 7:30am On Oct 02, 2020
Yoruba and Igbo regions should unite and end one Nigeria, thereafter they can remain peaceful allied nations forever.

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by orisa37: 7:33am On Oct 02, 2020
AFONJA IS A FAILURE TO LEARN FROM YOUR DREAM.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by AdaugoChisom(f): 7:35am On Oct 02, 2020
Old people playing with young generation and we're sitting down doing nothing.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by SpecialAdviser(m): 7:43am On Oct 02, 2020
People should take a chill about 2023. Who is gonna b is gonna b. Our concern should be what is happening today.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by nairavsdollars(f): 7:54am On Oct 02, 2020
Exactly what the North wanted

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by orisa37: 7:56am On Oct 02, 2020
BANJO & OSOBA SHOULD LEARN FROM OBJ ON NON VIOLENT RESTRUCTURING THAT ALLOWS MR PRESIDENT TO TAKE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE GRASSROOTS LG AND NOT VICE VERSA.

NIGERIA NOW WANTS F LG-FEDERAL LIAISON GOVERNMENT ON AND BEFORE 2023.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 02, 2020
orisa37:
ODUDUWA IS A BOND OF CHARACTER FOR THOSE IN THE REGION.

I thought you guys used to say Igbos are not united?

Now look at your Afenifere disgracing themselves and you are taking sides.

Let any Igbo man counter Ohaneze, if he won't be treated as an outcast.

Imagine there's even two factions of Afenifere
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by BigSarah(f): 8:10am On Oct 02, 2020
Restructuring or federalism can only be implemented by a northern president... North for 2023, don't spit out the honey like SS did

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by orisa37: 8:12am On Oct 02, 2020
BY THE WAY, WHY SHOULD THESE TWO PROMINENT YORUBAS DISAGREE ON IGBO MATTER?

THE IGBOS KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SEEKING FOR. OF ALL THAT AWO AND OBJ DID FOR THEM, HOW HAVE THEY APPRECIATED THEM?

IT'S ALWAYS IGBO AMAKA!!!

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 02, 2020
Afenifere, embrace Oduduwa or else face extinction.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 02, 2020
Anyone who supports zoning knows it's meant to be zoned to south east .... outside that there is nothing like zoning and every Nigerian has right to contest

It's hypocritical to call for presidency to be zoned to south but not south east

Personally restructuring let each region become semi independent is what would be the best for Nigeria or we go our separate ways simple

3 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by tysontim(m): 8:32am On Oct 02, 2020
Igbochief001:
Anyone who supports zoning knows it's meant to be zoned to south east .... outside that there is nothing like zoning and every Nigerian has right to contest

It's hypocritical to call for presidency to be zoned to south but not south east

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by orisa37: 11:05am On Oct 02, 2020
Awol1:

I thought you guys used to say Igbos are not united?

Now look at your Afenifere disgracing themselves and you are taking sides.

Let any Igbo man counter Ohaneze, if he won't be treated as an outcast.

Imagine there's even two factions of Afenifere

I AM NOT TAKING SIDE I AM TRYING TO EDUCATE BANJO AND OSOBA TO UNDERSTAND AWOLOWO'S AND OBASANJO'S LEGACIES AND QUEUE BEHIND BANJI AKINTOYE TO MOVE ODUDUWA YORUBA FORWARD.

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:25am On Oct 02, 2020
Gentleman agreement on rotational presidency btw the North and the South was agree by all these leaders as far back in 1999 and aired on most Media houses but funny enough they have started talking from the other side of the mouth cos it has gotten to the turn of the South east to produce the presidency..
what sacrifice is greater than this?I know presidency is not given, the igbos have to earn it but for equity n justice for all tomorrow, zone it to them n let's move this country forward!

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by nairavsdollars(f): 11:35am On Oct 02, 2020
Adebanjo Queue behind Akintoye Are u kidding me??

orisa37:

I AM NOT TAKING SIDE I AM TRYING TO EDUCATE BANJO AND OSOBA TO UNDERSTAND AWOLOWO'S AND OBASANJO'S LEGACIES AND QUEUE BEHIND BANJI AKINTOYE TO MOVE ODUDUWA YORUBA FORWARD.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:40am On Oct 02, 2020
they should please shield there swords, let by gone be n do a greater national sacrifice by allowing n supporting the people of the south east!
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Eastlink(m): 12:18pm On Oct 02, 2020
orisa37:
BY THE WAY, WHY SHOULD THESE TWO PROMINENT YORUBAS DISAGREE ON IGBO MATTER?

THE IGBOS KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SEEKING FOR. OF ALL THAT AWO AND OBJ DID FOR THEM, HOW HAVE THEY APPRECIATED THEM?

IT'S ALWAYS IGBO AMAKA!!!
What did Awolowo and Obasanjo do for the Ibos? The goodwill Ibos did for you during the following have you reciprocated it back?

1. 1966 Nzeogwu coup (which ended operation wetie and wild wild west). Major Ademoyega even confessed that the coupist intention was to free Awo from prison and make him national leader. Read the book ”Why we struck”

2. 1993 Elections (Igbo 45% votes for Abiola and Humphrey Nwosu announcing results despite death threats by IBB)

3. June 12 (Which the likes of Arthur Nwankwo, Omeruah, Ebitu Ukiwe, Ubani in NADECO stood even when a lot of your kinsmen ran abroad) Tinubu and Fayemi your new gods are among the runaway group.

4. Voting for Obasanjo your kinsman twice, first in 1999 and second in 2003 when Buhari/Okadigbo presented a good option for Ndigbo. At the end the Ibos ended their political strength by that stupid decision. And the troublemakers today the likes of Orju Uzor Kalu, Arthur Eze, Ogbulafor, Abaribe, Peter Odili, Rochas, and the Ibo PDP etc who helped destroy that gains are among the idiots fronting IPOB today. Forgetting how they killed their political might all because of supporting Obj.

As a matter of fact many Ibos are keenly interested in the 2023 elections. For two things. The first for equity which rightly should be ceeded to the Ibo nation as a way of promoting unity and fairness. And two, to finally watch as you Yorubas/Fulani use your greedy ambitions to send this country to her death knell. The likes of Pa Adebayo can be categorized under the later, why Osoba (Tinubu’s camp) are those who have allowed greed take control of them.

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by ImmaculateJOE(m): 12:38pm On Oct 02, 2020
Following
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Jlow2: 12:50pm On Oct 02, 2020
“He is speaking from a po­sition of ignorance. The issue of the 2023 presidency is not a Yoruba issue, it is about na­tionalism. Presidency is not a Yoruba affair. That is what they don’t understand. (Wat kills the elderly is when the see things go wrong and Dnt speak up,this baba has seen it all in life and has nothing more than the truth to tell his people)

https://www.independent.ng/2023-afenifere-leaders-fight-over-igbo-presidency-election-boycott/[/quote]
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Fleshly: 1:01pm On Oct 02, 2020
The yorubas are free to dream. Well 2023 is almost around the corner and we will know who emerges winner soon. Nothing can stop Igbo presidency, those with inner eyes can already see the realignment happening. The worst that may happen is that the presidency goes SS and it will still be someone from the Igbo tribe. This is QED!!
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Fleshly: 1:04pm On Oct 02, 2020
AllOfUsAtManna:
real afenifere (oyebanjo) vs yeroba Muslim version of afenifere

anything good in yeroba land has been factionized by yeroba Muslims.

afenifere
Amotekun
even yeroba Muslims have factions

3 factions of yeroba Muslims are

sensible ones
Tinubu's faction
HRM prof ishaq Akintola faction though he's the recognized Supreme leader of indigenous yeroba Muslims.

I'm done talking angry

Yorubas are never united and they want to contest for presidency?? I laugh in Swahili

3 Likes

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Fleshly: 1:04pm On Oct 02, 2020
Pa Ayo Adebanjo is one Yoruba man I respect so much. But I think he shouldn't stress himself so much, as afonja will soon cry like they did in Edo. You know one of the hallmarks of the Yoruba Muslims is that they do not have reason at all, and there poor thinking has been the nemesis of the Yoruba tribe. I wish them well.

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by nairavsdollars(f): 1:49pm On Oct 02, 2020
Maybe In PDP..APC looking in the direction of South West

Fleshly:
The yorubas are free to dream. Well 2023 is almost around the corner and we will know who emerges winner soon. Nothing can stop Igbo presidency, those with inner eyes can already see the realignment happening. The worst that may happen is that the presidency goes SS and it will still be someone from the Igbo tribe. This is QED!!
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by orisa37: 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2020
They were the Goodwill Ibos did for themselves to destroy NIGERIA.

.1, Fajuyi sacrificed himself for Ironsi.

.2, Humphrey Nwosu didn't prove anything..

3, Osinbajo didn't run. OBJ was present all the time.

4. Let us just say that the Igbos always misstep. The issue of BIAFRA is up till today very absurd. How can a small RAT like KANU think of smuggling away the whole of the SS WITH THE SE? IPOB & KANU ARE OVER AMBITIOUS

5, In summary, The Igbos are too AMAKA FOR NIGERIA.
Re: Afenifere Leaders Fight Over Igbo Presidency, Restructuring by Godsgiftuzo: 4:50pm On Oct 02, 2020
One of the shortcomings of Nigeria is that we vote for tribes and political parties and not for competency

(1) (Reply)

#endsars: Over 200 Cars Allegedly Set Ablaze By Thugs In Abuja (pix) / Niger Deltans Still Believes In One Nigeria - Vond / Why Buhari Suspended Hadiza Bala Usman As MD Of Npa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.