Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,365 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? (52576 Views)

2022 Unity School Cut Off Marks State By State / Unity School Cut Off Marks 2020 / 2017/2018 Unity School Admission List Released-check Now At Fmeinterviewtest.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Slawormir: 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
College of education
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Igbodicool(m): 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
There is no UNITY in Nigeria.
What we have is Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba and others. We should just stop deceiving ourselves and say the truth.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by federalgodey: 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
Federal Government Colleges
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Haymaykar(m): 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
See it here

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
Pro Unitate:For Unity I think they should be exempted from NYSC since the already mix with the good the bad and ugly side of Nigeria.
Funny I still remember "From far and near we come too thee..."

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by ruffDiamond: 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
shithole school,simple
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Tatashi: 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2020
Federal govt colleges
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by ofiko123(m): 7:15pm On Oct 02, 2020
JAMB Question..
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 02, 2020
LosC:
UNITY SCHOOLS are just like when you say "United we stand, divided we fall" .
The term unity was initiated to foster unity amongst people. In England, we have Manchester United, Westham United, Sheffield united. You see!
All these people are really united and that's why when one of them scores a goal, they all celebrate because they're in Unity.
In Unity schools, nothing like teacher flogging a student because even the teachers are united.
So, you see. In conclusion, unity schools are those schools that contribute to the development of this Nation.
They were birthed out of zeal to promote Unity between Manchester United and VAR

grin tongue wink
bruh grin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by vickydevoka(m): 7:18pm On Oct 02, 2020
Na my school dem use do example

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by madjune(m): 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2020
There are no unity schools in Nigeria.

Is Nigeria a unity country?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by JamesHanu(m): 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2020
Unity school is a school that has a students from all tribes
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by nextstep(m): 7:23pm On Oct 02, 2020
The term usually (if not always) applies to Federal Government Colleges, which are secondary schools. They were borne out of the same spirit as "federal character", NYSC, quota-system etc, meant to foster a unity among people of diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.

The idea is that you can do nation-building by exposing Nigerians from different parts of the country to each other and to different places. Unity Schools and quota-system are just like desegregation and affirmative-action in the US. Their aim to uplift certain sections of society that have traditionally not benefited from (or seen the benefit of) modern educational practices, but only for one generation (e.g. 25 years).

Because of this, Nigerians from Sokoto end up in Ebonyi; those from Osun end up in Benue, promoting mutual understanding, in theory. The quota system also enables people who would ordinarily not make it to these schools (due to high competition in some areas) have a chance to improve their future (and the overall future of the country).

All the above are good in concept, but can be subverted if not well administered.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Yankee101: 7:25pm On Oct 02, 2020
Federal Government Colleges
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Davidwealth777: 7:26pm On Oct 02, 2020
[quote author=ProphetofOdin post=94538773]It is another hopeless item on the exclusive list that federal government should not have any business with, but they are; so that they can have access to the national treasury and keep looting.
In a saner clime with true fiscal federal system of government the central government should have nothing to do with owning secondary schools but rather be saddled with only the responsibilities of making policies and guidelines to improve secondary education. But what do i know? this is NIGERIA.

Good day, please perhaps the country is restructured, The federal higher institutions (universities, Polytechnic and colleges of education) will he still be under the federal government or each state will take over the federal higher institutions?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by olisaEze(m): 7:28pm On Oct 02, 2020
Model secondary schools owned by the Federal govt meant to promote unity, but with an abused purpose through the institution of Federal Character used in accepting pupils.

There’s no unity in explaining to a child that he can’t be admitted because even though he made the pass mark, he is not from a certain geopolitical zone.

One Nigeria, but some are more 'oner' than the others.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by 3fcc: 7:30pm On Oct 02, 2020
Willowx48:
They are federal schools owned by the federal government. Mostly secondary schools

Public school?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Virus99: 7:31pm On Oct 02, 2020
BigDawsNet:
We got a Unity school here in the US, Maine

Unity College actually... it's a private institution

So you are in the US right now? smiley
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by thundey2(m): 7:33pm On Oct 02, 2020
oluwatosink:

What of Penchester United, Luckchester united, Varchester United and Drawchester united
are they also united??
...That an assignment for you. grin grin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Braw(m): 7:35pm On Oct 02, 2020
Ok
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Butoneday2(m): 7:35pm On Oct 02, 2020
Prechgold1180:
Confused what is. The meaning of unity schools
Are tertiary institutions part of unity schools
If you ask me na who i go ask?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by BigDawsNet: 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2020
Virus99:

So you are in the US right now? smiley

How much yo got bro.. you wanna take a bet? wink
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by adisabarber(m): 7:40pm On Oct 02, 2020
Prechgold1180:
Confused what is. The meaning of unity schools
Are tertiary institutions part of unity schools

Federal Colleges of Education
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by nextstep(m): 7:41pm On Oct 02, 2020
olisaEze:
Model secondary schools owned by the Federal govt meant to promote unity, but with an abused purpose through the institution of Federal Character used in accepting pupils.

There’s no unity in explaining to a child that he can’t be admitted because even though he made the pass mark, he is not from a certain geopolitical zone.

One Nigeria, but some are more 'oner' than the others.

Unity Schools and quota-system are just like desegregation and affirmative-action in the US. Their aim to uplift certain sections of society that have traditionally not benefited from (or seen the benefit of) modern educational practices, but only for one generation (e.g. 25 years).

Because of this, Nigerians from Sokoto end up in Ebonyi; those from Osun end up in Benue, promoting mutual understanding, in theory. The quota system also enables people who would ordinarily not make it to these schools (due to high competition in some areas) have a chance to improve their future (and the overall future of the country).

The unfortunate side effect of this policy is that many students from competitive states cannot be granted admission.

But look at it from the other side: without quota system, because you're disadvantaged by being born into a state with low educational bar, you never got a chance to improve yourself via affordable secondary schooling, which means no admission to Uni, which limits your life choices. That isn't fair either.

In other words, for instance, either some students from Delta can't be admitted, or all students from Adamawa can't be admitted (because all spots were taken by Deltans), so Adamawa continues to be educationally challenged forever. You have to strike a balance, with the expectation that the society won't have to keep doing this after a few decades.

In the meantime, you build more and more schools all over the country, which improves the available spaces, encourages development in many places that ordinarily won't ever get schools. Then encourage Deltans to go to school in Adamawa, and vice-versa. That's the principle, anyway.

How do you think I felt, as a Delta child, that I could not get into my preferred FGC, yet my best friend from Kogi was able to, despite I was always in the top 5 in my class, and he was around #20-30?

Thanks to this system however, he too has become successful, as have I. Now the country has two people, instead of just 1, who are highly educated.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Nmezor(f): 7:43pm On Oct 02, 2020
uruba23:
Pro Unitate:For Unity I think they should be exempted from NYSC since the already mix with the good the bad and ugly side of Nigeria.
Did you attend FGC Okigwe?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by MNDY(m): 7:45pm On Oct 02, 2020
How and where is entry exam into the Unity Schools written?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by hakym619(m): 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2020
I rep FSTC ijebu imushin
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by TooGod942: 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2020
uruba23:

Dear federal government college O...ig...e
Great porter of mind and body, we yield ourselves to thee to.......

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by Oracleforce: 7:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
Unity school is a school where the federal government groomed corrupt opinion leaders and polithievians and kidnappers
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Unity School? by CTete: 7:56pm On Oct 02, 2020
FGSS. All Federal government schools.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of Covenant University Campus / Oau Admission For The Year 2011/2012 Part 2 / Life Of A Typical Nigerian Medical Student From Birth To Graduation In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.