Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists (1900 Views)

Gbajabiamila Deceived Us To Call Off Strike ― ASUU / School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists / School Resumption: FG Gives New Guidelines On School Re-opening Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by sinkhole: 2:24pm On Oct 02, 2020
Steps to reopen the schools may meet a brick wall, as staff unions in schools, especially those owned by the FG, have sounded warning strike, while those already on strike, may not back out yet.

Commenting on the development, the National President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, told one of our correspondents that the union’s ongoing strike would continue.

“We started out industrial action before the outbreak of Coronavirus disease in the country. All the issues we raised are yet to be addressed. The government is free to open their schools, just like our members are also entitled to their dues.

“As we speak, our members are being owed between three to six months of salaries. The government’s so-called fund saving platform, the Integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System, IPPIS, is a colossal failure. Apart from that, the government is yet to take any step to revitalise education sector among others,” he said.

Ogunyemi said though ASUU had been invited to a meeting by the government, it would wait and see what happens, adding that ASUU was always available for negotiation.

He added that if the government did not reach an agreement with the union before the reopening date, ASUU members would not resume work.

Similarly, the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, and the Non-Academic Staff Union, NASU, acting under the aegis of the Joint Action Committee, JAC, on Friday also said they would start a two-week warning strike from October 5.

Addressing newsmen in Lagos, the Branch Chairmen of UNILAG Chapters of SSANU and NASU, Olusola Sowunmi and Kehinde Ajibade, said the government had reneged on its promises to them.

The unions accused the FG of deceiving their leaders into accepting IPPIS. Listing their demands, the unions said there were a lot of inconsistencies in the payment of salaries to members, and the non-payment of Earned Allowances to members.

Others are the delay in the renegotiation of FGN/NASU and SSANU Agreements, as well as the non-payment of retirement benefits to retired members.

They also accused the teaching staff of usurping the headship of non-teaching units.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/10/school-re-opening-we-are-still-on-strike-ASUU-insists/

1 Share

Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Bessppectt(f): 2:39pm On Oct 02, 2020
It's well with all of us in this country, amen.
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by kozmokaz(m): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2020
Make them kuku gimme back my sch fees

I no do again !!
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Babtunz: 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2020
When I was admitted into the university in 2019, I told my uncle ASUU will never embark on a strike till I finish my 5-year course. Alas! I was wrong.

ASUU has choosen to remain unfortunate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by sinkhole: 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2020
Babtunz:
When I was admitted into the university in 2019, I told my uncle ASUU will never embark on a strike till I finish my 5-year course. Alas! I was wrong.

Did your uncle say AMEN when you offered the prayer cheesy
You have only blaimed ASUU but what of SSANU and NASU that just joined? cool
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Babtunz: 3:26pm On Oct 02, 2020
sinkhole:
Did your uncle say AMEN when you offered the prayer cheesy
You have only blaimed ASUU but what of SSANU and NASU that just joined? cool

He YINMU(ed) at me
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by sinkhole: 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2020
Babtunz:

He YINMU(ed) at me
grin grin grin He did that because "what and elder sees sitting down, a younger person will not see even while on top of a mountain" cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by DenreleDave(m): 3:32pm On Oct 02, 2020
cheesy

Thank you ASUU.. We will 4eva be on strike
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by manuel4real(m): 3:40pm On Oct 02, 2020
ASUU abeg na, make i run this programme sharply abeg
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Iceyjayz: 7:08pm On Oct 02, 2020
Babtunz:

You are probably still a kid, ASUU strike like thunder every year
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by WorkTheTalk(m): 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2020
Don't worry,.Continue with the strike. Covid-19 lock down is over. Now, no work, no pay.
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by DaInferno(m): 9:40pm On Oct 02, 2020
Bessppectt:
It's well with all of us in this country, amen.
how? since when did "well" mean this type of retrogression? even your amen is not Amen! undecided
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Olude193: 10:00pm On Oct 02, 2020
Bunch of fooooolsssss
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Holyprophet121(m): 11:02pm On Oct 02, 2020
ASUU needs to be settled first
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by tobechi74: 1:45am On Oct 03, 2020
Covid 19 extension
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Tomiwa69(m): 3:29am On Oct 03, 2020
[left][/left]
DenreleDave:
cheesy

Thank you ASUU.. We will 4eva be on strike
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by rxmusa(m): 5:49am On Oct 03, 2020
Enemies of Progress
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by WalkerMichael(m): 11:13am On Oct 03, 2020
mehn. education in this country is not it.
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Karlifate: 1:19pm On Oct 03, 2020
Iceyjayz:
You are probably still a kid, ASUU strike like thunder every year
...and it 'kills' the morale of the Uni students about schooling as depicted below.

Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Drizzy5001(m): 2:36pm On Oct 03, 2020
My school is resuming next week
Re: School Re-opening: We Are Still On Strike, ASUU Insists by Aramideysadiq(f): 3:12pm On Oct 03, 2020
I believe my school unilag won't resume till next year with ASUU doing their own... i have truly moved on �

(1) (Reply)

I Had 6 C6 In My Waec And 1 B3 Did I Try And 2 D7 / Guys Tells Ayra Starr Small Yansh Dey Shake. She Also Shows Off Her Small Boobs / ASUU About To Suspend The Ongoing Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.