Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,693 members, 7,813,289 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales (1362 Views)

We Are Moving Spare Parts Market In Lagos To The East ~~igbo Traders Union / Igbo Traders Petition CBN On Multiple Charges, Deductions By Banks / Igbo Traders In Yenagoa Market Protest Hoodlums' Attack, "Spirits responsible" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 03, 2020
We all know that igbo people occupy a large percentage when it comes to trading in Nigeria, from used car space parts to used and new cloths, tiles, electronics and many more.

The igbo man is a trader and will trade anything to make money but through my observation of igbo traders, i have come to observe many things that make people have bad opinion about igbo people.

Ever hear the funny statement that an igbo man can sell you a wheel chair even if you don't need it, this might be an act of salesmanship but an objective thinker will understand that this is a negative statement meaning an igbo man cares only about sales rather than the genuine need of a customer.

I have been to many igbo shops and i have noticed the desire to make fast sales rather than getting to know what the customers want. Many of them will take an interest in the buyer but the interest isnt genuine but to make sure to sell something by all means.

the igbo businessman is good in advertising his goods, he knows how to bring the customer to his shop, he knows how to make the customer happy but after sales it is over.

Lets use selling of cloths, you walk to any igbo shop to buy clothes, the igbo seller will convince you that the clothes he select is the best even though you have told him that the cloth looks small, he will say try it on, after trying it on, he will claim the cloth is the perfect one for you even though you might not be able to breathe in it, if you are the docile type, you buy it and go home then you get home and you hate the cloth you bought, you can't return it because you are embarrassed about everything or because the distance is far.

Take this same situation and used it for electronics or any goods that the igbo man sells, it is the same result. No genuine interest in customers other than sales, if you are buying tv from an igbo seller, no product explanation, nothing other than the product is fine, BUY IT, the naive buyer ends up buying the product and ends up regretting.

For the igbo businessman, if a buyer have to come back to your shop everytime they buy a product, know that that they will never be a second buy from them again because they will start looking at you as a fraud.

To the igbo trader, know that sometimes customers might not know much about the products they want to buy, your job is to explain everything about the product to the customer. The more you allow them to know more about what they are buying the more they return. Business isn't only about the first sales but second and third.

Also if you dont have a product stop saying my brother has the product, tell the customer you dont have, stop going to your brother then putting your own commission on top of the real price, customers are not stupid, they want to know the real price or they will think you are cheating them.

To the igbo traders, everything isnt about sales, try to take genuine interest in customers, sell them what they want, if it a cloth or any product tell them the truth about the goods they buying, stop making them return what they buy from you, they will never buy from you again.

In conclusion, know that the more truthful you are to customers, the more sales you make the more profit you make, the more you get rich.

3 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by solmus: 2:33pm On Oct 03, 2020
cool

If I want to trade I prefer Hausa they are honest to a fault

But you see Ibos hahaha mehn let's not go tribal but I limit interactions on serious deals.

It's amazing how a 12 year old already formed a decision and opinion about dishonest Ibo traders , his experiences was hurtful

It's a shame honest Ibos don't want to talk about many dishonest Ibos

6 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Charleys: 2:42pm On Oct 03, 2020
Hahahahaha
Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Charleys: 2:43pm On Oct 03, 2020
solmus:
cool

But you see Ibos hahaha mehn let's not go tribal but I limit interactions on serious deals.

It's amazing how a 12 year old already formed a decision and opinion about dishonest Ibo traders , his experiences was hurtful

In this life, it's either you're selling something or you're being sold something.

Which would you rather be, the buyer or the seller.
The OP is selling an idea and you're buying it. Does that make it the truth?

Are you telling me that there's no igboman selling something genuine?
Is he the producer of those products?

Let's talk about clothes, most of the clothes in your boutiques are bale or bail whatever they call it.
You expect him to wear everything i.e test it to see if it's working? or maybe electronics.
It's like telling a hausa person to test every sugarcane to see if it's sweet. Or a yorubaman to test his agbo Everytime he's selling to check if if's not poison.

Do you even know what a salesman mean?

8 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by doggedfighter(f): 2:44pm On Oct 03, 2020
There's truth in this write-up
Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Goldencheese(m): 2:50pm On Oct 03, 2020
Who would you rather be with, those that hustle to sell goods to you and won't do anything to you if you refuse to buy? Or those that will come to your land, forcibly take it and if you refuse to give it up, they will kill or attempt to kill you and then another representative of them who in a bid to change your beliefs to their preferred belief system will kill you, kill your spouse or children and turn you into a sex article to satisfy their morbid, degenerate cravings?

Who would you rather be with?

4 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by hisgrace090: 2:50pm On Oct 03, 2020
I hope it will change!

1 Like

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Nobody: 2:50pm On Oct 03, 2020
Charleys:

In this life, it's either you're selling something or you're being sold something.

The OP is selling an idea and you're buying it.

So you mean that everyone should be cheating each other because they are in business.

I actually noticed that cheating business men hardly go far in business

4 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by hisgrace090: 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2020
Goldencheese:
Which would you rather work with, those that hustle to sell goods to you and won't do anything to you if you refuse to buy? Or those that will come to your land, forcibly take it and if you refuse they kill or attempt to kill you or those that can kill you if you refuse to change your beliefs to their preferred belief system?

Who would you rather

I will run from all criminals.

4 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Goldencheese(m): 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2020
hisgrace090:

Let's even pretend that the OP's argument were infallible, the Igbo man or person, in more cases than one, will not hold a knife to your throat or wield an AK-47 to dispossess you of your money? Or claim your money or your life.
Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Goldencheese(m): 2:56pm On Oct 03, 2020
hisgrace090:

There are criminals everywhere but those that dispossess you of your money, land, wife, children and are protected by a state party are the worst of them.
Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by solmus: 2:57pm On Oct 03, 2020
Charleys:

The OP is selling an idea and you're buying it. Does that make it the truth?

Are you telling me that there's no igboman selling something genuine?
Is he the producer of those products?

Let's talk about clothes, most of the clothes in your boutiques are bale or bail whatever they call it.
You expect him to wear everything i.e test it to see if it's working? or maybe electronics.
It's like telling a hausa person to test every sugarcane to see if it's sweet. Or a yorubaman to test his agbo Everytime he's selling to check if if's not poison.

I won't engage you in long talks, but I ask you to go out for a social experiment to other places outside Iboland and call a product you intend to market "IboMade" "Onistcha made" "Aba made" and see what this words would do to that product you are marketing

I have friends and brothers that are Ibos at Alaba , they are honest to a fault and they greatly assist me in handling some trades, but this guys gave me several warnings about their fellow Ibos in that same Alaba especially close to the Catholic cathedral there, but I had to experience it first hand with a clients money i was entrusted with and they happily mocked me

1 Like

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by hisgrace090: 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2020
Goldencheese:

There are criminals everywhere but those that dispossess you of your money, land, wife, children and are protected by a state party are the worst of them.

No worst criminal to me, crime is crime no matter how small.

1 Like

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Bisshop123(f): 4:38pm On Oct 03, 2020
Sincerely speaking op I love d topic 'everything isn't about sales' which some might see as true and some not.

But it seems like u are been tribalistic here in the sense dat ur main focus was on the ibos.

U don't assume all mango fruits in a mango tree are bad because u ate a mango fruit dat was bad.
And please permit me to say dat there is no business man dat does not want to make fast sales no matter d tribe whether ibo, hausa, Yoruba, etc every body wants to make sales dats how dey gain.

In all your 12 paragraphs, every other tribe is as guilty as an ibo person

This constructive criticism can be done in a way that'd be better for everyone cuz whether u choose to believe it or not any other tribe is as guilty as d other.

And op u made a nice argument it sounds like u were talking from experience. Really sorry if anyone has frauded you in any way especially in clothing. Lol. Well where there are bad guys there are also good folks like us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 03, 2020
Bisshop123:
Sincerely speaking op I love d topic 'everything isn't about sales' which some might see as true and some not.

But it seems like u are been tribalistic here in the sense dat ur main focus was on the ibos.

U don't assume all mango fruits in a mango tree are bad because u ate a mango fruit dat was bad.
And please permit me to say dat there is no business man dat does not want to make fast sales no matter d tribe whether ibo, hausa, Yoruba, etc every body wants to make sales dats how dey gain.

In all your 12 paragraphs, every other tribe is as guilty as an ibo person

This constructive criticism can be done in a way that'd be better for everyone cuz whether u choose to believe it or not any other tribe is as guilty as d other.

And op u made a nice argument it sounds like u were talking from experience. Really sorry if anyone has frauded you in any way especially in clothing. Lol. Well where there are bad guys there are also good folks like us.

I am not being tribalistic but just starting my observation of what i have observed among many igbo Traders.

I am not saying that there aren't good ones among them.

1 Like

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Bisshop123(f): 5:16pm On Oct 03, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

I am not being tribalistic but just starting my observation of what i have observed among many igbo Traders.

Okay. Point noted
Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Mide3367: 6:24pm On Oct 03, 2020
See people defending what's not angry
Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by FX(m): 7:17pm On Oct 03, 2020
thebosstrevor1:

I'm an Ibo man. What you said is very correct of my Ibo traders.

1 Like

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Wickedtruths: 8:40pm On Oct 03, 2020
While in Uni, I once went to the market where electronics were sold to buy Phillips pressing iron. Out of many calling me, I decided to enter the shop of one wearing Chosen church vest. I met his Oga seated inside reading one Bible as big as stabilizer. Out of trust that I was dealing with a Christian, I bought one pressing iron and didn't haggle too much before paying.

On getting home, the iron was not getting hot optimally. I tried all means to get it to pick up without avail. So, I returned it.

While at the shop, the Igbo guy refused to change it or refund. I asked him why he sold me a defective item and he asked me if he was the one who did it. After much back and forth, I discovered he had the genuine Philips iron but sold the fake to me.

Till today, I never forgot that incident. Once I see those Chosen church people jumping around, I just shake my head.

7 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by nedekid: 11:45pm On Oct 12, 2020
solmus:
cool

Leave that story, igbo traders are fraudstars and thiefs. They are dishonest and cheats. The sell stuff to you eg car parts, you pay but when you fix it in your car and see it does not fit, try returning it back 10 minutes later and they will tell you they have spent your money.
Left to me, I will never buy any thing from them. Never. Rather than go to Alaba to buy electronics, I will go to the original fuani LG store on Allen Avenue to buy brand new and get 1 year warrantee! Or better still buy from jumia where there is escrow and return policy. My 25k is stuck in ladipo for brain box tnat was not the specification form my car and was returned within 1hr. Two months has passed.
They have no conscience when it comes to selling and will rather do police wahala than give you your money.
Never use an igbo mechanic because you will keep spending more money and more faults will be generated.
My cousin brought his igbo mechanic. He worked on my car( same person that I gave money for brain ox he claimed someone in ladipo called him he had and took my 25k till date).
After working on my car, I introduced him to fix my dad's suv he was paid in full.
Next thing nigger sent my dad messages that they were kicking him out of his house and needed help to rent. And that his 8 year old daughter was being sexually harrased by boys in the compound. (he also asked me but I declined as truelly I did not have spare cash then).
Dad called me that who is this fellow, I said I knew him and if he could spare he should give. Ie based on my words. Besides nigger said he will pay at the end of the months once he gets his contribution money. Dad then sent him 50k.
Do you know end of the month, this guy kept quite. 10th I called him and he started stories. He promised today. I called him and the guy says he will pay when he has and the most is I could do is to take him to police! Money I stood for!
I think igbos that were raised in the South West are better. Those that came from villages or the east to come hussle in Lagos etc or other cities are the culprits. The desperation for money through any means is sickening.
Avoid having anything to do with them if you want peace of mind.
Rent tor house to them and you are done for. They will pay any amount for the first rent and then assume ownership of your house. They will never pay again but rather fight you with all the lawyers.
Bros I taya.
NOTE: I am not tribalistic.

2 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Taich(m): 6:32am On Oct 21, 2020
Wickedtruths:
While in Uni, I once went to the market where electronics were sold to buy Phillips pressing iron. Out of many calling me, I decided to enter the shop of one wearing Chosen church vest. I met his Oga seated inside reading one Bible as big as stabilizer. Out of trust that I was dealing with a Christian, I bought one pressing iron and didn't haggle too much before paying.

On getting home, the iron was not getting hot optimally. I tried all means to get it to pick up without avail. So, I returned it.

While at the shop, the Igbo guy refused to change it or refund. I asked him why he sold me a defective item and he asked me if he was the one who did it. After much back and forth, I discovered he had the genuine Philips iron but sold the fake to me.

Till today, I never forgot that incident. Once I see those Chosen church people jumping around, I just shake my head.

I wanted to get a sharp 14" TV in my 200l , I went with my then roommate to one Eletronics shop. We saw the TV and paid, immediately after we paid, the shop attendant wanted to package the TV for us, but we were watching one news about our school on the TV (because we wanted it to be tested before we leave the shop), so told we him to hold on until after the news cast.
Just then a bitter customer walked into the shop shouting, "I will not take this TV", pointing at the TV that we have already paid for. It was then that we discovered that my coloured TV is now showing black and white.
I told them to give me back my money and the guy refused, showing me "no refund of money after payment" on the receipt.
I promised him to bring boys from school and raid shop that was when his boss called us and gave me my money.

The thing about market like everything in life is that one needs to apply due diligence. Before going to the market, ask questions, find out the price range of what you want to buy, too low or too high from the range is a red flag. Have a budget and stick to it no matter how they try to sweet talk you.

Please OP, leave Igbo people out of it, a bad salesman is a bad salesman, he has no tribe but his business.

3 Likes

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Thebestpicks: 6:41am On Oct 21, 2020
How to Start Mini Importation Business in Nigeria (Complete guide)

If you’ve been into buying and selling in Nigeria, you should have thought of scaling up your business by importing goods from outside the country, if not you should have heard of the big gurus who import cheap products with a crazy profit margin. This is a comprehensive guide on how to start mini importation business in Nigeria and make good profit from the comfort of your home.

This guide covers the basics information about starting a mini importation business in Nigeria and professional advice from a professional. 100% practical images & Videos on how to ABC

Being a business minded person, you want to make a profit, that’s the whole essence of venturing into any business. I will show you the cheapest places to buy products,

In this guide you will learn.....

* Cost of starting a mini importation business in Nigeria which is extremely cheap.

* Where to import items from

* Sellable products – How to identify a product that will sell in Nigeria

* How to get products at the lowest possible price

* How to select products to make a profit

* How to ship your products to your destination

* How to sell your products online using, Jumia, Konga, Facebook ads, instagram ads etc

* How to deliver your products to customers and lot's more..

All this 4 copies you get at just 2,500 naira only and you download your copy instantly. Whatsapp 07032146558 for more details, questions and 24/7 guide.

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by Thebestpicks: 6:42am On Oct 21, 2020
FACEBOOK ADVERT STEP BY STEP GUIDE

Why do you have to pay huge sum of money to some so called experts to run facebook or instagram ads for you, when you can learn it yourself and achieve your desired result.

The Ultimate Guide To Using Facebook ads to get more leads and sales. A comprehensive guide with step by step images to guide you all the way.

Here’s what you’ll learn in this Complete guide:

* Common Mistakes Made When Running Facebook Ads, And Why You Lose Lots of Money Without Making Desired Sales.
* How To Get Started With Facebook Ads
* Getting To Know The Facebook Ads Manager
* How To Lower Your Overall Facebook Ad Budget ..
* Facebook Ads vs. Boost Posts , Which makes best sales
* Gain Maximum Exposure Using Custom Targeted Audiences
* How To Use Retarget Marketing With Facebook
* How To Create A Facebook Lead Capture Funnel
* Reasons You Should Use Facebook Ads
* How to Choose the Right Audience for Your Facebook Ads to Sell Fast
* How to Create Facebook Ads for Every Stage of the Funel, Step By Step
* 5 Tips for Creating Successful Facebook Ads
* And all You Need to Know About Facebook Ads...

And guess what...
You can resell if you like to, because as you download your copy it comes with a free right to resell from me, how about that!

So what do you say?

Are you ready to create Facebook ads that wow your audience and generate great sales for you?

@ 1,000 only, you get your copy instantly

Whatsapp 07032146558

Re: My Observation Of Igbo Traders. Everything Isn't About Sales by lilkech(m): 7:27am On Oct 21, 2020
Op it seems you do not grasp the full meaning of one being a successful salesman.

Go to USA, a traveling salesman will knock on your door and sell you a commodity you never even needed and still will not need anytime soon and then take his commission back to the company and hit his payday. That’s is a successful salesman.

In business there’s no brother or sister, friend or family. A successful salesman only has to make sales to be promoted in his line of work.

Igbos are and have always been successful salesmen and tradesmen. Nothing in this world can take that skill away from them.

For them to take a red apple and sell it to you as being green, my brother Abeg just allow them be and know that it’s a trait God made them with. Na follow come lol.

Don’t be angry if it seems they sometimes force you to buy their wares, it’s never true. No true igbo salesman ever forcefully makes a sale. You the customer gets wooed into buying every single time.

You should instead check your decision making skills than heaping all the blame on the salesmanship of the successful igbo tradesmen.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Famzhi Interbiz Ltd Promises To Pay Investors Back Their Capitals / I Have Just Been Scammed / Nairalanders Help! Who Has Heard Of QNET Business? Help Me Confirm It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.