Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? (710 Views)

Article - Are Music Channels Getting Old? By Amechi "Double Six" Okoli / Top 15 Nigerian Music Videos With The Highest Views On Youtube / 12 Most Popular Nigerian Music Videos On Youtube (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2020
I'm an industry enthusiast still trying to understand how the music industry work. So I have been think about cable music stations and their modus operandi.

When you consider that they are not free channels, do they pay royalties to the artistes they air their video or do they play those videos for free and sometimes get paid also to air some videos?

Anyone with knowledge of how they work?
Re: Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? by Nairakris: 9:47pm On Oct 03, 2020
FTC
Re: Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? by osamz007: 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2020
Re: Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? by Hyland(m): 10:19pm On Oct 03, 2020
Lol
They don't
If they keep paying all those artistes royalties for airing their music videos, don't you think it's their lose?
But sometimes it's the other way around.
Ever heard the word Payola ? grin
Re: Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:23pm On Oct 03, 2020
Awol1:
I'm an industry enthusiast still trying to understand how the music industry work. So I have been think about cable music stations and their modus operandi.

When you consider that they are not free channels, do they pay royalties to the artistes they air their video or do they play those videos for free and sometimes get paid also to air some videos?

Anyone with knowledge of how they work?

Lalasticlala this is your field. Help push this for a wider audience.
Nope, they don’t.

Many upcoming artists even do beg them to play their songs for them to be known by the public
Re: Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? by Nobody: 5:19am On Oct 04, 2020
Hyland:
Lol
They don't
If they keep paying all those artistes royalties for airing their music videos, don't you think it's their lost?
But sometimes it's the other way around.
Ever heard the word Payola ? grin

I've heard Payola many times but don't really know what it means.
Re: Do Music Channels Pay Musicians Royalty For Playing Their Music Videos? by Nobody: 5:24am On Oct 04, 2020
Amotolongbo:
Nope, they don’t.

Many upcoming artists even do beg them to play their songs for them to be known by the public

I understand the up comers aspect. But established artistes nko?

You know when you consider the fact that channels like Africa Magic, ROK TV and other movie channels pay for the content they put on their channels, you will realize that those music channels are in a cruise.

Because their channels on cable TV is monetized, that is, you have to subscribe to watch them, and they get content for free or get paid by upcomers to air content.

Is that how it is elsewhere?

(1) (Reply)

Zdon Vs Soul E / 96.9 Cool Fm (that's Just The Shit) ;) / Check Out This New Sensation In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.