Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,267 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon (4219 Views)

The NTA Did Not Ask General Gowon To Speak In Hausa / Happy 89th Birthday To General Gowon. See This 50-Year Throwback Newspaper / General Gowon Sitting And Eating On The Floor In Benin In 1967 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by NaijirianKing: 1:53pm On Oct 05, 2020
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by DonXavi(m): 2:35pm On Oct 05, 2020
s
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 2:44pm On Oct 05, 2020
TooMuchStuff:
We shall always remember

Buhari, Ibrahim Taiwo and Murtala Muhammad were the arrowheads
If you like remember or forget,we don't give a Bleep.
How about those massacred by your osu soldiers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by gidgiddy: 2:48pm On Oct 05, 2020
ChangedMan1999:
How did all these start?

What triggered the killing of more than 3million people?

It pains me that all these happened because Nzeogwu and his gang view the government as corrupt.

It is sad that millions of our people were killed because Nzeogwu and gang were trying to bring peace to Western region.

The 3 million people who died had nothing to do with Nzeogwu or the coup he led. Many countries in Africa went through military coup just Nigeria did, but they did not fight civil war like Nigeria.

The real reason why 3 million people died was because of the civil war and the civil war was caused by the ambition of the North to control all of Nigeria, and Igbos said no.

3 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by ChangedMan1999(m): 4:01pm On Oct 05, 2020
gidgiddy:

The 3 million people who died had nothing to do with Nzeogwu or the coup he led. Many countries in Africa went through military coup just Nigeria did, but they did not fight civil war like Nigeria.

The real reason why 3 million people died was because of the civil war and the civil war was caused by the ambition of the North to control all of Nigeria, and Igbos said no.

It wasn't only civil war.

Revenge for northern elites killed also caused it.
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by TooMuchStuff: 4:12pm On Oct 05, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:

If you like remember or forget,we don't give a Bleep.
How about those massacred by your osu soldiers?
Wanted to respond but I saw your moniker ...and I wasn't wrong afterall

3 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by slivertongue: 5:52pm On Oct 05, 2020
Asaba will forgive but won't forget

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by jude79(m): 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2020
Bkayyy:

See what I'm talking about, they will find a way to blame it on Ndigbo forgetting how they shamelessly went to dance for FG troops led by a Northerner with the name Murtala Mohammed for liberating them from Igbos and shamelessly tried to convince him of how they are not igbos. Ndị ara, shameless cowards

Not only that, chukwuma kaduna nzeogwu, who led the coup that caused the war, is their son, yet, whole Igbo tribe bore the brunt and suffered for something that they know nothing about, only for the same people to come and tell Nigerian forces that they are no more Igboes, who will believe such nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by jude79(m): 6:13pm On Oct 05, 2020
gidgiddy:

Three million people had everything to do with the coup, without the coup their wouldn't have been any pogrom, without the pogrom their wouldn't have been any secession and without secession their wouldn't have been any war.
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by Cherez: 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2020
vastolord4:
Imagine misleading your countrymen to fight for you because you had a personal beef with gowon .. God go judge una ... My uncle lost his dad in a building where the Nigerian army marched all men into. My uncle saw his dad fall on the ground by the bullets of the soldiers.. my uncle shed uncontrollable tears when he told us that story. He said he watched his dad bleed.. after the war, he went back to the building but couldn't recognised his father's body.. the war was a really horrible tale..

"misleading your countrymen to fight for you because you had a personal beef with gowon .. God go judge una ..."
This your statement above is why you need to read and educate yourself.
I'll brief you: Ojukwu never surfaced during the coup until after it; after the coup there was a pogrom where over a million Igbos in the North lost Thier lives to irate Northerners whom where provoked by the killing of Sarduana by Nzeogwu and co
So, imagine the herdsmen carnage happening around us today with the excuse they were provoked & in a retaliatory mission by same govt who wouldn't lift a finger to help; and yes you, I and T.Y. Danjuma are asking the victims to fight back, right?
So how was it a beef between Gowon and Ojukwu?
If anyone of you who supports Amotekun & other militia to curb Herdsmen is against Ojukwu fighting back than have more of his kinsmen being killed in cold blood, then you all are hyper-hypocrites

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by LadyExcellency: 7:14pm On Oct 05, 2020
Juliusmalema:

[s]
Young man I am done with you. You are talking off point. learn to be organize and comment like someone with intellect not like a member of Ipob unless you are one.[/s]

You are too foolish. Quoting you should be a recognition gone south.

People are grieving and you're here talking rubbish as if the genocide isn't reprehensible and unforgivable.
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by descarado: 7:19pm On Oct 05, 2020
Seems he lacks sleep these days
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by History555: 7:30pm On Oct 05, 2020
Juliusmalema:

Young man I am done with you. You are talking off point. learn to be organize and comment like someone with intellect not like a member of Ipob unless you are one.

The truth hurts but it's still the truth. The people celebrated the federal troops only to be massacred by same. Lesson to all the we delta lgbos, rivers lgbos.

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by gidgiddy: 7:38pm On Oct 05, 2020
jude79:

Three million people had everything to do with the coup, without the coup their wouldn't have been any pogrom, without the pogrom their wouldn't have been any secession and without secession their wouldn't have been any war.

Not true.

There was already pogrom against Igbos even before the first coup. Igbos were massacred in the North in 1945 and 1953.

The reason why Ojukwu seceded was not because of the pogrom, it was because of Gowons refusal to honour the Aburi agreement both men signed in Ghana. The Aburi agreement restructured Nigeria into a confederation, which prevented the North from dominating Nigeria

Unfortunately, Gowon and his fellow Northerners wanted the opposite. So Ojukwu had no other choice but to secede and fight for freedom.

To this day, there are Regions who are still threatening the same secession if Nigeria is not restructured
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 7:39pm On Oct 05, 2020
TooMuchStuff:

Wanted to respond but I saw your moniker ...and I wasn't wrong afterall
Yet you still responded undecided
The moniker isn't wrong afterall
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by Grandmeister(m): 7:41pm On Oct 05, 2020
Their son kaduna nzeogwu orchestrated a coup and the rest of Nigeria termed it an igbo coup..those “we south south” efulefus didn’t come out to own the deeds of their son...but when shit hit the fan and they saw soldiers bearing upon them they came out to celebrate them...you think those Fulani led soldiers are idiots? You think they will trust someone who denied his heritage to save his skin? Fast forward today the “we south south” people still keep mute when the civil war is discussed, but when e reach to share largesse dem go begin shout like banshees.

3 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by gwafaeziokwu: 9:01pm On Oct 05, 2020
The Truth about January 1966 coup: Excerpts from "Why we struck.

The January 15, 1966 coup was conceived and planned by Majors Chukwuma Nzeogwu, Emmanuel Ifeajuna and Ademola Ademoyega. ‘Why We Struck: The story of the first Nigerian Coup’ published by Evans Brothers, Ltd Ibadan, 1981, is the original work of the only surviving member of the trio that conceived and planned the coup. Here is the background to the January 15 coup given by Major Ademoyega. ‘By November 1965, the people (of Western Nigeria) had started to fight the unpopular Akintola government. They sang war songs and fought on the streets. They invented the ‘wetie’ (meaning soak him up), a practice in which a political opponent and his house or property were sprayed with petrol and set ablaze. Somehow, in ‘wetie’ only the intended victim suffered. By December 1965, there had been a total breakdown of law and order in Western Nigeria. The lawlessness had gone beyond the control of the mobile (anti-riot) police and the Akintola government was seen to be tottering to its collapse….. This was the appropriate time for a state of emergency to be declared in the West and for a caretaker government to be set up, pending the conduct of a free and fair election. However the Balewa government was more anxious to preserve Akintola (whose political party NNDP was in alliance with Balewa and Sarduana’s party, NPC, to form the NNA led by Alhaji Ahmadu Bello, Sarduana of Sokoto; the NCNC, AG, and UMBC were also in alliance as the UPGA led by Dr. M. I. Okpara) as the premier of the region than to restore law and order. Therefore Balewa announced that the situation in the West was normal and that everything was under control.’p.22.

‘I met Chief H O Davis, who was then a Federal Minister in the Balewa government, who had come to spend the New Year holidays at his retreat just behind the Army Chalet at Taqua Bay. I greeted him and asked if he was Chief Davis and he said ‘Yes’. I soon got into deep conversation with him on the political situation in the country. I was particularly interested to know what the Federal Government’s view was, apart from Balewa’s public statements. Chief Davis made it clear to me that the Federal Government had no solution to the political crisis. He said that everybody was just waiting to see what would happen next and that nobody knew exactly what that would be; but surely something was bound to happen. I left Chief Davis feeling that the Balewa Government had something up its sleeve. Otherwise the minister would not be so emphatic that something was bound to happen. When I returned to the Officers’ Mess, Apapa, on January 3, 1966, I went to work with Ifeajuna. After extensive prodding, we discovered that the Balewa Government had a terrible plan to bring the army fully to operate in the West for the purpose of eliminating the elites of that region, especially the intellectuals who were believed to be behind the intransigence of the people against the Akintola Government. It was for this reason that the government had attacked the intellectuals of the Region, especially those at Ife, intimidating and victimizing them for their refusal to support it. People like Tai Solarin of Mayflower School, Ikenne, were among those marked down. It was also intended that if the plan succeeded in the West, the next target would be the East. The Federal Government was to use loyal troops for this purpose and the 4th Battalion in Ibadan commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Largema and the 2nd Battalion in Ikeja temporarily commanded by Major Igboba, but soon to be taken over by Lieutenant-Colonel Gowon, were designated for this assignment. The operation was fixed for the third week of January 1966, when the Sarduana would have returned from his pilgrimage and Lieutenant-Colonel Gowon would have completed his takeover of the Ikeja Battalion. In preparation for this horrible move by the Federal Government, the high echelons of the Army and the Police were being reshuffled. Major-General Ironsi was ordered to proceed on leave from mid-January. He was to be relieved by Brigadier Maimalari, over the head of Brigadier Ademulegun. Lieutenant-Colonel Njoku was to temporarily command 2nd Brigade HQ at Apapa. In the Police Force Inspector-General Edet was sent on leave from December 20, 1965. The officer closest to him was retired and the third officer Alhaji Kam Salem was brought in as the new Inspector-General. The stage was thus set for the proper walloping of the UPGA ‘rioters’ of the West. From our own stance, this proposed ‘whipping of the West’ was a most dastardly plan. Anuforo, Onwuatuegwu and I had each in turn commanded the troops in Makurdi against the Tiv rioters who were opposed to the high-handedness and oppression of the Sarduana Government of the North.’ pp 66-70.
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by gwafaeziokwu: 9:03pm On Oct 05, 2020
Events moved very fast that month. By January 10, I was again in Kaduna. Through some senior civil servants I telephoned, I was able to confirm that Umra Hadj group led by the Sarduana would be back in Kaduna on January 12 and 13. It has been confirmed in Lagos that the Commonwealth Prime Ministers Conference was due to end on the 12th and that most of the delegates would leave Lagos almost immediatel[b]y. Therefore Nzeogwu and I fixed the D-Day for Saturday January 15. [/b]Late on the 14th news reached us that the Sarduana had been having a meeting in Kaduna on that day with Chief Akintola of the West, and that both Brigadier Ademulegun and Lieutenant-Colonel Largema were in attendance. It was obvious to us that they might be putting final touches to their planned ‘walloping of the West’. But we felt confident that we were already one step ahead.’ P.70.

‘Contrary to the load of wicked propaganda that had since been heaped upon us, there was no decision at our meetings to single out any particular ethnic group for elimination or destruction. Our intentions were honourable, our views were national and our goals were idealistic.’P.60. Ideologically, ‘We also believed in the immediate release of political prisoners of those days, namely Chief Awolowo, Jakande, Anthony Enahoro, Onitiri, Omisade and so on. As we saw it, these actions would bring immediate relief to the suffering masses of the West and North and would generate peace and concord throughout the Federation.’ P. 33.

Note that the three people who conceived and planned the January 15, 1966 coup were by the account of the only surviving member of the trio, Major Adewale Ademoyega, a Yoruba, two Igbo officers and himself, a Yoruba. Note also that the primary goal of the coup was to save Western Nigeria from being ‘walloped’ by the Army as planned by Sarduana, Abubakar and other Northern leaders in collaboration with S. L. Akintola, Fani- Kayode and others from Western Nigeria. Saving the East from similar ‘walloping’ and giving justice to the Tiv were secondary goals. Releasing Awolowo, Enahoro, Jakande, Onitiri, Omisade and other political prisoners from prison were also secondary goals. Recall that the crisis in 1965 was centred in Western Nigeria where the Western Regional election held in October had been brazenly rigged by the Ahmadu Bello/Tafawa Balewa/Samuel Akintola/Fanni- Kayode clique (NNA). With Chief Awolowo in prison and Dr. M. I. Okpara as leader of the NCNC/AG/UMBC alliance (UPGA), Okpara had the unenviable task of defending the expressed choice of the people of Western Nigeria against the scheme of imposing an illegal government on the West hatched by the Bello/Balewa/Akintola/Fanni-Kayode clique. Maazi Ukonu a very popular entertainer in Enugu and an Igbo man broadcast the authentic results of the Western election from under the table in Chief Awolowo’s library in Ikenne. He was aided by Wole Soyinka who could confirm this story. How can anyone reconcile this with the falsehood being peddled that the coup was an Igbo coup to install Igbo hegemony?

With the people of Eastern Nigeria constantly confronting and challenging the North’s blatant imposition of illegalities on the rest of the country, it is easy to see why Bello/Balewa and the entire Northern feudal oligarchy would want to physically destroy the people of Eastern Region, especially the Igbo. The declaration of Biafra presented such opportunity and with the help of the West and the Middle Belt they set out decimating the people of Eastern Region. Their first weapon of genocide was STARVATION. Here is a sample of the statements made by leaders of the Nigerian Government.

2 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by gwafaeziokwu: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2020
A letter by Wole Soyinka and many Yoruba activists urging Aguiyi Ironsi not to prosecute the people's "heroes".

1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by gwafaeziokwu: 9:15pm On Oct 05, 2020
Major Ademoyega a yoruba man was actively coordinating the coup based on intelligence he received. Yorubas celebrated the deaths of their political nemesis Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Belewa and Akintola. But immediately the "Igbo" coup conspiracy started rising they switched sides almost immediately.

30,000 Igbos died as a result but the Yorubas could not be moved. Their Obas went round the North thanking Emirs for sparing Yorubas and killing all the Igbos.

Awolowo came out of prison but suddenly fell in love with state creation while frowning at confederation. The same person for which the coup happened decided that those who took his side were his enemy.

Nigeria's history is really satanic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by davillian(m): 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2020
Bkayyy:
Nonsense, they didn't include the part the indigenes of Asaba wore white garments to celebrate with the FG troops for liberating them from Ndigbo who they claimed they had no relationship with before Gen Murtala Mohammed told the troops to remove the men from the women in the festival before exterminating them.
The festival they hosted for the FG troops was known as "Ákwá ọcha dance" Before the Nigerian troops reminded them that you can't name yourself whenever you like, that an Igbo is always an Igbo.
This is a lesson to we "delta ibo", "south south ibo" and "we ikwerre" when the day of reckoning comes, this will be your future
This part of the story made me shade tears
When they separated men and boys
And they unlish hell....
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by EMMY76: 9:46pm On Oct 05, 2020
Yujin:

Don't be shortsighted. We're on the same side. That one fellow on nairaland claim he's from Asaba and attempts to blame Ojukwu shouldn't make you shade other Asaba people or Ndi Anioma. This is why I said "muru akor".
You think I'm attacking you but I'm not. You're sounding defensive already while you shouldn't. Always speak for all Ndigbo and call out specific individuals irrespective of which part of Igboland they come from.
Most Igbos erroneously think it was the Nzeogwu's coup that caused the northern pogrom. It wasn't. It was just the perfect excuse they needed for the attacks on Igbos who they loathed.

You are absolutely right the hausa/fulani muslims have been committing genocide on innocent igbos right from 1945.

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by Gracchus: 6:43am On Oct 06, 2020
LegendHero:

If you understand Yoruba, I would have recite ewi Asegbe for you.

Everything the West did during the Biafran war is Asegbe, and there is nothing you all can do about it.

Just accept your fate and see that as part of your history and move on.

Remember, your ancestors carefully masterminded a lot of wrong leading into 1967 and the Karma reared its head on their offsprings.

Actions beget consequences, so think before taking decisions.

Lastly, you condemn Nigeria for massacre, have you forgotten you Igbos also massacred some of the SS’ner tribes?

Don't mind the fool. Germany, France, UK etc with so much atrocities that has killed hundreds of millions of people are still some of the most prosperous nations on earth. Since the beginning of time, MIGHT MAKES RIGHT!!.

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by juman(m): 7:23am On Oct 06, 2020
"attempted to wipe out all the male indigenes of Asaba"

Obasanjo killed male people at zaki biam.
At gbeji and vasae, the army separated males and shot them.
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by Ogbuu101: 7:32am On Oct 06, 2020
jude79:

Dimka and a group of officers largely from Plateau state killed Murtala Muhammad with Gowon as the suspected sponsor.
Why did the northerners not attempt to wipe of Plateau indigenes like they did after Nzeogwu and co coup?
Did the coup plotters have a meeting with the whole Igbo race on their intended actions,why should the whole Igbos suffer for their actions?
Continue, it will get to your turn soon.

4 Likes

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by Okwyjesus(m): 8:16am On Oct 06, 2020
Bkayyy:
Nonsense, they didn't include the part the indigenes of Asaba wore white garments to celebrate with the FG troops for liberating them from Ndigbo who they claimed they had no relationship with before Gen Murtala Mohammed told the troops to remove the men from the women in the festival before exterminating them.
The festival they hosted for the FG troops was known as "Ákwá ọcha dance" Before the Nigerian troops reminded them that you can't name yourself whenever you like, that an Igbo is always an Igbo.
This is a lesson to we "delta ibo", "south south ibo" and "we ikwerre" when the day of reckoning comes, this will be your future

I have not heard this side of the story before.

Do you mean it....
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by Bkayyy: 9:08am On Oct 06, 2020
Okwyjesus:

I have not heard this side of the story before.
Do you mean it....
Of course, you can Google it. The indigenes are still ashamed of it till date

1 Like

Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by nextdoor84(m): 10:34am On Oct 06, 2020
LegendHero:

If you understand Yoruba, I would have recite ewi Asegbe for you.

Everything the West did during the Biafran war is Asegbe, and there is nothing you all can do about it.

Just accept your fate and see that as part of your history and move on.

Remember, your ancestors carefully masterminded a lot of wrong leading into 1967 and the Karma reared its head on their offsprings.

Actions beget consequences, so think before taking decisions.

Lastly, you condemn Nigeria for massacre, have you forgotten you Igbos also massacred some of the SS’ner tribes?

Oloriburuku ni bobo yi sha! The Igbos lost over 3 million of their people to the genocidal useless pigs called the Nigerian army and you are here defending the role played by your own tribe in that atrocity! A black man is the most useless creature on the face of the planet. Fvck you Omo Ale!!
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by NaijirianKing: 11:51am On Oct 06, 2020
Interesting.
Re: Asaba Massacre : Asaba Should Forgive And Forget- General Gowon by ican2020: 12:09pm On Oct 06, 2020
Is it true that Gen Murtala Mohammed told the troops to remove men from the and exterminate if the above is true, I now see why Murtala died like a cockroack

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The North, Tinubu, Lekki Massacre And 2023. / Truth About Nnamdi Kanu's Educational Achievements And Why He Left UNN / What Exactly Is Wrong With The Igbos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.