Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,703 members, 7,816,874 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? (2328 Views)

Sango Was A King Before Becoming Deity – Alaafin Of Oyo / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / 'God Is The King Of Kings'; Ooni Of Ife Joins Christians For Prayers. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by woky: 4:05am On Oct 06, 2020
If a Royal man marries a woman, she becomes Queen. Him king. But if a Royal woman marries a man who is not royalty, he can't be named king. Why ?

Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by aoshi: 5:38am On Oct 06, 2020
That's what you call gender bias. But i ask further, was it always so?
Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 06, 2020
woky:
If a Royal man marries a woman, she becomes Queen. Him king. But if a Royal woman marries a man who is not royalty, he can't be named king. Why ?

I will be back to try and explain with my little experience.

First, I've got some bench presses to do. sad

2 Likes

Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by woky: 6:48am On Oct 06, 2020
aoshi:
That's what you call gender bias. But i ask further, was it always so?
gender bias indeed.

A king's wife can be called a Queen but a Queen's husband can't be king..
Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 06, 2020
Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 06, 2020
woky:
If a Royal man marries a woman, she becomes Queen.
first of all this not always true. It is not in all cases that a woman assumes the title of Queen once she marries a king. It doesn't happen all the time.

A perfect example is Morocco where the wife of the king is officially referred to as the "Princess consort" and not queen.

In England, the day prince Charles becomes king, his wife will not be addressed as "the Queen". Rather, she will be a "princess consort".

So, the title of Queen is not always automatic for the wife of a king in most cases.

I will be back to expatiate on all these at the very end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by siant: 6:59am On Oct 12, 2020
Because woman derives her identity from a man, either her father or husband.
A woman can become anything by virtue of her husband even if she is not qualified for such position.
They cannot stand alone without a male figure.
That is why you see a widow referring to her son, 'oko mi'. (My Head). Have you seen a man calling his daughter, 'my wife'?
Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by Casey47777: 8:05pm On Oct 14, 2020
Why would you think a woman can't stand alone without a land. It's simply sexism. But you guys will never see it that way and that's sas angry
Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by Casey47777: 8:07pm On Oct 14, 2020
Without a man rather
Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by Dagelv: 7:34pm On Oct 20, 2020
Interesting article, very entertaining...
Re: Why A King's Wife Is The Queen, But A Queen's Husband Isn't The King? by justt: 2:14pm On Oct 24, 2020
The two words are obviously different if you consider their meanings.

"King" is not a title for husband but a title signifying leadership (headship) while "queen" is a title for the wife of a king.

In cases, where queens are the leaders, it will be inappropriate to refer to the husband as a king since he's not the leader.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is Your Signed T-shirt From After Your Final Exams? / Wedding Memory / Naming ceremony, how much to give?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.