Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,595 members, 7,851,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:05 PM

Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words (709 Views)

Kano State Govt & Aji No Moto Economics / Breaking News: Gej Just Signed Foi Bill / Yar Adua's Handover And Senator Mohammed Abba-aji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Saigaskia: 5:09am On Mar 04, 2011
FoI Bill/Igbo presidency Abba-Aji swallows words

From MODESTUS CHUKWULAKA, Abuja
Friday, March 04, 2011

Special Adviser to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senator Mohammed Abba-Aji, said he did not foreclose the emergence of an Igbo person as the President of the country in 2015.

He said his statement that Vice-President Namadi Sambo would step in when President Goodluck Jonathan steps down in 2015 was his personal view which was neither solicited nor desired by the Vice-President.

In a statement in Abuja yesterday, the presidential aide who has come under attack for his position on the Freedom of Information (FOI) Bill just passed by the House of Representatives said he strongly believed the Igbo had the right to seek any public office, including that of the presidency.
“Contrary to this statement, I strongly believe that my Igbo brothers and sisters have equal rights with all members of other ethnic groups of our nation to seek any public office including the exalted office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“The statement as it relates to Vice President Namadi Sambo is entirely my personal view, which he neither desired nor solicited. I, therefore, hereby withdraw it, and regret any misunderstanding that it might have generated,” Abba-Aji said in the statement personally signed by him.

On the controversy surrounding his statement on the FOI bill, he said he only tried to draw attention to a conflict which he thought the law might likely have with the seventh schedule of the Constitution as it related to the oath of office and the extant Official Secrecy Act.

“I also tried to make the distinction between the Freedom of Information Bill, which seeks to compel public officers to reveal official matters, and the freedom of the press which is already enshrined as Section 39 of the Constitution,” he said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2011/mar/04/newsbreak-04-03-2011-001.htm
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Saigaskia: 5:10am On Mar 04, 2011
I was wondering what the man was smoking when he made that statement in the first place. undecided
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by EzeUche2(m): 5:14am On Mar 04, 2011
There was a lot of uproar about this statement.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Chyz2: 5:16am On Mar 04, 2011
This is the perfect time for Igbo pressure groups to start flexing on him and get him out of there.I hope they take up this great opportunity.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by EzeUche2(m): 5:19am On Mar 04, 2011
Chyz*:

This is the perfect time for Igbo pressure groups to start flexing on him and get him out of there.I hope they take up this great opportunity.

Agreed. But I don't think our leaders are smart enough. Maybe Ohanaeze may say something.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Saigaskia: 5:20am On Mar 04, 2011
I think he wanted to sabotage Jonathan's chances at the polls. Talk about enemy within. He should go.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Kobojunkie: 5:31am On Mar 04, 2011
uum . . , Jonathan appointed and retains him and the many other touts in office. What do you mean he is there to sabotage Jonathan's chances? The man made clear his stance and now retracts it probably after realizing his team may loose votes if people were informed of the true intentions of the gang before the elections have been won, and you are willing to pretend it was all a mere gaffe? What is this now? Gaffe #1021?
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Chyz2: 5:36am On Mar 04, 2011
EzeUche_:

Agreed. But I don't think our leaders are smart enough. Maybe Ohanaeze may say something.

Ohanaeze? haha. Ohaenweghieze. Lets see. I'm yet to here anything from them concerning the up and coming governorships in the East. Lets see.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by EzeUche2(m): 5:38am On Mar 04, 2011
Chyz*:

Ohanaeze? haha. Ohaenweghieze. Lets see. I'm yet to here anything from them concerning the up and coming governorships in the East. Lets see.

One can hope though. . . undecided

Igbo leadership has disappointed me for quite a while. No direction.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Chyz2: 5:39am On Mar 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

uum . . ,  Jonathan appointed and retains him and the many other touts in office. What do you mean he is there to sabotage Jonathan's chances? The man made clear his stance and now retracts it probably after realizing his team may loose votes if people were informed of the true intentions of the gang before the elections have been won, and you are willing to pretend it was all a mere gaffe? What is this now? Gaffe #1021?

Aunty, its clear that the wolf has been caught without his sheep skin.What he's now trying to do is somehow convince people that he his still a sheep. He doesn't care about spoiling his party,but northern interest. The guy has to go!
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Beaf: 5:42am On Mar 04, 2011
Kobojunkie:

uum . . , [s]Jonathan appointed and retains him and the many other touts in office[/s]. What do you mean he is there to sabotage Jonathan's chances? The man made clear his stance and now retracts it probably after realizing his team may loose votes if people were informed of the true intentions of the gang before the elections have been won, and you are willing to pretend it was all a mere gaffe? What is this now? Gaffe #1021?

The usual cock and bull story.

Aba Aji was appointed by Yar Adua, every clued up person can recall he was the one that diverted Yar Adua's hand over letter. GEJ can only shake himself totally free of that lot come May.

Tell another story.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by EzeUche2(m): 5:44am On Mar 04, 2011
Beaf my brother, I hope you have come to realize which people who are against GEJ's presidency.

We in the East are in full support of his plans.

People are getting afraid, because he may turn his attention to the South-South and South-East to correct past wrongs.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Kobojunkie: 5:45am On Mar 04, 2011
Actually Jonathan retaining him means he was accepted hence appointed by Jonathan. We all know Jonathan was able to weed out those he wanted to and did.

Easterners are not zombies that a 22 year old boy in far away america should then be able to read their collective minds. Ibo's are not for sale and even Jonathan has no guarantee of getting 100% of the eastern votes.
Re: Foi Bill/igbo Presidency Abba-aji Swallows Words by Beaf: 5:47am On Mar 04, 2011
EzeUche_:

Beaf my brother, I hope you have come to realize which people who are against GEJ's presidency.

We in the East are in full support of his plans.

People are getting afraid, because he may turn his attention to the South-South and South-East to correct past wrongs.

lol. Its true and clear as crystal.

(1) (Reply)

A Critical And Fair Appraisal Of Nn24 Presidential Debate on thisday Newspaper / Suicide Bombers Targeting Nigerian Churches Now? / This Man Called Shakerau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.