Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,807 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation (1371 Views)

Throwback To 1986 'End Police Brutality' Protest In Lagos (Video) / Wike Shuts Down Caverton Helicopters For Violation Of Movement Restrictions / Bukola Saraki Appointed Ambassador-At-Large International Human Right Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 3:02pm On Oct 08, 2020
Today i withnessed for the first time in my life the true nature of police brutality and how the Nigerian police use the instrument of Government to terrorise the public.

I was at a restaurant close to my house, and I had just ordered dinner. I had hoped to enjoy my dinner in peace before going to bed but what transpired after has left me totally devastated with a complete loss of appetite.

It was 8:06 pm, the 7th of October 2020 when it all began. The sales lady had just brought me my food when she was accosted by this gentleman and they both walked to the corner of the shop. They were having an argument which I didn't pay any mind to. I was simply minding my business and enjoying my meal when I heard a loud bang. The sound I heard was too loud to ignore, it sounded like a connection between a palm and a cheek, so i raised my head up to witness what had just happened, and i honestly didn't expect to see another slap, a backhand this time. This gentleman was beating a woman in public. The force with which he hit her had her staggering sideways and clutching her face. Everywhere was completely silent like we had all seen a ghost.

Before this man could strike another blow, all the customers at the restaurant regained their consciousness and began beratting the man for his primordial aggression toward the lady. I included. He, however, stood very confidently before us and asked if we wanted to challenge him. That if we try any nonsense with him, he'll make a phone call and in 10 minutes all of us will "get it". He was making this boast when one of the men berating him got excited and planted a slap on him.

We had unwisely underestimated this man. We had thought he would at most call some thugs or his friends to fight us. I never believe in my life that a civilian can make a phone call and a team of heavily armed police men will present themselves to be used as a means of violent oppression. ...and worse, one cocked his gun and shot to further terrorise us. Totally unbelievable.

Back to my story, after the retaliatory slap, this gentleman walked away to the road and we could see him making a phone call. Most of us who left our food to intervene had gone back to our food. It wasn't even up to 10 minutes when this man showed up with a bunch of guys, about 5 unarmed men on mufty and 2 policemen bearing arms.

Led by the man who was beating up the lady, they all descended on everyone in that restaurant. Everyone! Some of the men tried to resist the assault and a police man cocked his gun, pointing it at a man who's resisting and fired a shot in the air. That was when I ran away.

I wasn't beaten, I guess they didn't notice me. I have a small body frame and look unthreatening.

I have just learned that the policeman who fired his gun name is Dauda from the Isashi police station, Ojo LGA of Lagos state and another of his colleague popularly known as "Badoo", also from the Isashi police station.

Please note that the men who came with Dauda and Badoo were about 5 in number wearing mufti while Dauda was dressed in his police uniform and Badoo was wearing a police t-shirt with the police crossed gun insigma. I couldn't read what was written but he also was armed. I have also learnt that the man who attacked the lady first is not a police officer but a "camp boy" working with the police. I don't know what that means.

I have been to the Isashi police station to make a complaint but they didn't let me make a statement. The DCO who attended to me wasn't even interested in my story. He was more interested in protecting his men. He was asking me if the men who were assaulted are my brothers. When I answered in the negative. He asked "How this is my business". I had to leave before I become another victim because he looked irritated.

I have also written to the Police Complaint Response Unit (PCRU) on email and on Twitter but I haven't received any acknowledgement. I guess since I am not a celebrity or a very popular person, I don't deserve justice. So I'm bringing this to the court of public opinion, maybe this will trend and get their attention.

As I write, some of the men who were assaulted by these police officers are still in detention and the DCO is very aware of it. I have also just learnt that the owner of the restaurant has been detained as well.

It's tiring to get justice in this country. I have done everything the police asked us to do when we witness police misconduct yet nothing.

I need help. Will the poor ever get justice in this country? Attached are pictures of a victim of the assault. There are several injured victims who have gone into hiding for fear of being arrested by the police. I'll try to get their pictures too and update this thread as it grows.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 3:03pm On Oct 08, 2020
UPDATE: 08/10/2020 05:27 PM

The daughter of the restaurant owner just called me to let me know that her mum asked her to bring some money to the police station. I guess she's going to pay money to the police despite her loss just to be free from the captivity of the police.

My heart bleeds. God, where art thou?

@Seun @Mynd44 @lalasticlala

UPDATE: 08/10/2020 07:07PM

The restaurant owner has been released. She paid 20,000 Naira as bail to regain her freedom. SMH!! Others will probably spend another night in the cell because they have no money.

Talk about beating you up and still making you pay for it. The Nigerian police force is an organized criminal network. No difference from a drug cartel.

UPDATE: 08/10/2020 09:52 PM

I have just received an acknowledgement from the Police Complaint Response Unit (PCRU) and an investigation has been activated. A tracking number has also been issued in this regard. I hope that we can meet with the investigation team and tell our stories as witnesses of the lowest form of state oppression. I also hope that we can get justice for the victims of this atrocious act and bring the perpetuators of this injustice to book.

UPDATE: 08/10/2020 10:57 PM

I have just spoken with the DPO Isashi Police station. He sounded like the investigation from PCRU had frightened him. He keeps saying that I should have brought this to him and shouldn't have taken it this far. He claimed that he is always available, that he sleeps at the office. This is the same DPO they said is unavailable twice when I visited the station.

Anyways, I have an appointment with him for 10:00 am tomorrow morning. I will keep you guys updated when I return.

UPDATE: 09/10/2020 11:50 AM

We met with the DPO of Isashi Police Station this morning at his office. Unlike the DCO, the DPO is a complete gentleman. He listened attentively to our complaint, asked questions and after he was done with his inquiry, he ordered that the bail money they took from the restaurant owner be returned ASAP. He apologized to us and did the best he could to help us find equity.

He has asked me to look for those who were assaulted by his men and bring them to the station so that he can personally apologize to them and if necessary, pay for their medical bill. We left the station satisfied with the outcome of this investigation and we hope that all officers involved in this abominable act be reprimanded and disciplined.

Thank you Nairaland. Thank you PCRU, you guys rock!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 08, 2020
"One Nigeria" is fake, I have never for once believed that Nigeria is truly one/united...
Corruption has eaten up the Justice that is left in this poor country...
The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer all because of corruption...
I wish I wasn't a Nigerian, my life would have been better...sad sad
Why would they treat people unfair like this....
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Davash222(m): 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2020
He slapped a lady, all of a sudden, you guys become commandos .

Had he slapped a guy, I doubt none of you would even care to ask why.

How many times have you separate two guys fighting?

Imagine you were shot and killed, wetin you for tell God?
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 3:07pm On Oct 08, 2020
Xoly:
SORRY

All we tried to do was protect a woman from being assaulted and the police unleashed full terror on us using the instrument of state. Unbelievable!!

@lalasticlala @seun @Myde44 Please help me help those still being detained unlawfully at Isashi Police Station get some audience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 08, 2020
I regret been from this country.

It seems there is no hope at all in this country.

Who watch a program that was shown an Aljazeera yesterday morning is called "My Nigeria". Camera was following Basket mouth around Lagos.

Did you all saw those police men that were asking basket mouth for money He even told them he was recording it o, they didn't care at all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 08, 2020
Freethinker87:

All we tried to do was protect a woman from being assaulted and the police unleashed full terror on us using the instrument of state. Unbelievable!!
I do laugh at people who will say "Nigeria go better". My question is that when

1 Like

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:25pm On Oct 08, 2020
I just pity anyone having kids in Nigeria. If you are a youth and escaping from Nigeria isn't on your bucket list then you dey on your own.

2 Likes

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by atheistandproud(m): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
NIGERIA is dead

1 Like

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 4:20pm On Oct 08, 2020
Xoly:
"One Nigeria" is fake, I have never for once believed that Nigeria is truly one/united...
Corruption has eaten up the Justice that is left in this poor country...
The rich are getting richer, and the poor are getting poorer all because of corruption...
I wish I wasn't a Nigerian, my life would have been better...sad sad
Why would they treat people unfair like this....

Could you believe that the police detained the owner of the restaurant. The same woman who was crying yesterday because all the customers eating at the time of the incident ran away with her money when the police started shooting.

I haven't paid my own bill as at this time. That woman is hardworking and she cooks well. All her perishable stocks are rotting away at the shop while she's being detained unlawfully by the police.

This country has completely lost its sense of fairness.

1 Like

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 4:30pm On Oct 08, 2020
Davash222:
He slapped a lady, all of a sudden, you guys become commandos .

Had he slapped a guy, I doubt none of you would even care to ask why.

How many times have you separate two guys fighting?

Imagine you were shot and killed, wetin you for tell God?

I understand where you are coming from. Red pill stuff. I get it. If we hadn't intervened, would the slapping had stopped? Would he have slapped a man if they were having an argument? We can look at this from much more complex scenery and still come to the conclusion that our intervention was timely and well intentioned.

Let's join hands to fight injustice and not try to be divergent just for the fun of it.

3 Likes

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Davash222(m): 4:35pm On Oct 08, 2020
Freethinker87:

I understand where you are coming from. Red pill stuff. I get it. If we hadn't intervened, would the slapping had stopped? Would he have slapped a man if they were having an argument? We can look at this from much more complex scenery and still come to the conclusion that our intervention was timely and well intentioned.

Let's join hands and fight injustice and not try to be divergent just for the fun of it.
Fighting Injustice without firstly fighting for the proximate cause of the injustice is vain.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 4:38pm On Oct 08, 2020
Davash222:

Fighting Injustice without firstly fighting for the proximate cause of the injustice is vain.

I'm not following your argument sir. What are you trying to say?
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by LibertyRep: 4:47pm On Oct 08, 2020
It won't be out of place to conclude that the reason most people get into Police or any other uniform jobs is to attain the power to intimidate and harass others.

You may have to return to Twitter and tag Segalink and other civil rights activists.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2020
From your write-up it seems you are one of the few Nigerians that have not realised that the police is filled top to bottom by a bunch of retards that in sane countries will make up majority of inmates in the worst prisons.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 4:55pm On Oct 08, 2020
LibertyRep:
It won't be out of place to conclude that the reason most people get into Police or any other uniform jobs is to attain the power to intimidate and harass others.

You may have to return to Twitter and tag Segalink and other civil rights activists.

I have... I even posted pictures and tagged Segalink, Police NG and PCRU and I've heard nothing.

I'm not a man that gives up after trying so quitting isn't an option anymore. I'll keep exercising all legal avenues to get justice for those innocent people still in detention at Isashi Police Station.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Jwonder(m): 4:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
Please post this on Twitter and tag segalink and rugged man, you will surely get justice with the heat of things now and with the way Nigerians are angry at the police, i promise you that officer will taught a hard lesson
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by LibertyRep: 4:58pm On Oct 08, 2020
Freethinker87:

I have... I even posted pictures and tagged Segalink, Police NG and PCRU and I've heard nothing.

I'm not a man that gives up after trying so quitting isn't an option anymore. I'll keep exercising all legal avenues to get justice for those innocent people still in detention at Isashi Police Station.

Great that you're not contemplating quiting the struggle.
The much the moderators here can do is to push this to the front page so as to receive enough coverage.

You'll surely get justice.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 08, 2020
Freethinker87:

Could you believe that the police detained the owner of the restaurant. The same woman who was crying yesterday because all the customers eating at the time of the incident ran away with her money when the police started shooting.

I haven't paid my own bill as at this time. That woman is hardworking and she cooks well. All her perishable stocks are rotting away at the shop while she's being detained unlawfully by the police.

This country has completely lost its sense of fairness.

The country has completely lost its sense of fairness? It has lost its sense of every single thing sane. I realised relatively early in life that I have no country.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 5:02pm On Oct 08, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:
From your write-up it seems you are one of the few Nigerians that have not realised that the police is filled top to bottom by a bunch of retards that in sane countries will make up majority of inmates in the worst prisons.

I don't think so. I think there are a lot of good people with a conscience in the police force. However, there are a few bad eggs who are disgustingly putrid and their stenches stinks very far.

There are a few set in every police station who are notorious for their illegal activities. In our case, Dauda has a reputation for high handedness, unlawful raid and extortion and he's also trigger happy. I hope that he gets the attention that he craves for from the top hierarchy of the police force.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 5:05pm On Oct 08, 2020
Jwonder:
Please post this on Twitter and tag segalink and rugged man, you will surely get justice with the heat of things now and with the way Nigerians are angry at the police, i promise you that officer will taught a hard lesson

I have already done that but I haven't heard from any of the handles that I tagged. I'm hoping that this gets the attention of the admin here. I strongly believe that if this problem gets a better audience, it will be brought to the attention of the police hierarchy.

Hopefully.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 5:05pm On Oct 08, 2020
LibertyRep:

Great that you're not contemplating quiting the struggle.
The much the moderators here can do is to push this to the front page so as to receive enough coverage.

You'll surely get justice.

Thanks. I appreciate your kind words.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 5:08pm On Oct 08, 2020
HedwigesMaduro:

The country has completely lost its sense of fairness? It has lost its sense of every single thing sane. I realised relatively early in life that I have no country.

I know how you feel sir. I feel the same way most of the time but we won't give up on our country. We will keep fighting for what's fair before God and man in our own little ways. If not for us but for the betterment of the coming generation.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Jwonder(m): 5:09pm On Oct 08, 2020
Freethinker87:

I have already done that but I haven't heard from any of the handles that I tagged. I'm hoping that this gets the attention of the admin here. I strongly believe that if this problem gets a better audience, it will be brought to the attention of the police hierarchy.

Hopefully.

Please paste the link to the tweet so i can also help to create awareness on Twitter
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Litmus: 5:12pm On Oct 08, 2020
cut
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Litmus: 5:13pm On Oct 08, 2020
Vigil for black man killed by white officer in Texas thrown into chaos as white gunman arrives ‘to protect my city'

https://news.yahoo.com/vigil-black-man-killed-white-192247715.html

Talking of police brutality, after the US Police gunning down of black Trump supporter Jonathan Price, 31-year-old, why isn’t American racists considered 3rd most violent terrorist group in the world after Fulani Herdsmen?

Victim of American Police Brutality (killed for doing less wrong than the average Nigerian does to Nigerian police)

POLICE MAN
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 5:33pm On Oct 08, 2020
Litmus:

POLICE MAN

Sir this is a very serious matter. Please stop spamming the thread with links that are unrelated to the topic. I know you're trying to lend your voice but please, there are people, innocent people who are going to spend another night in the cells of Isashi Police Station if nothing is done about this issue before the end of the day.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Litmus: 5:56pm On Oct 08, 2020
Freethinker87:

Sir this is a very serious matter. Please stop spamming the thread with links that are unrelated to the topic. I know you're trying to lend your voice but please, there are people, innocent people who are going to spend another night in the cells of Isashi Police Station if nothing is done about this issue before the end of the day.

I made a political point in a post in the Political section. It is your view my post is unrelated to topic but I feel it is related. If the post is an appeal (humanitarian) to the public, you may have a point. On the other hand, I’m not sure Political section is the right place to lunch an appeal.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 5:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
Litmus:

I made a political point in a post in the Political section. It is your view my post is unrelated to topic but I feel it is related. If the post is an appeal to the public, you may have a point. On the other hand, I’m not sure Political section is the right place to lunch an appeal.

Thanks for your view.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 7:35pm On Oct 08, 2020
UPDATE: 08/10/2020 07:07PM

The restaurant owner have been released. She paid 20,000 Naira as bail to regain her freedom. SMH!! Others will probably spend another night in the cell because they have no money.

Talk about beating you up and still making you pay for it. The Nigerian police force is an organized criminal network. No difference from a drug cartel.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Freethinker87: 10:07pm On Oct 08, 2020
UPDATE: 08/10/2020 09:52 PM

I have just received an acknowledgement from the Police Complaint Response Unit (PCRU) and an investigation has been activated. A tracking number has also been issued in this regard. I hope that we can meet with the investigation team and tell our stories as witnesses of the lowest form of state oppression. I also hope that we can get justice for the victims of this atrocious act and bring the perpetuators of this injustice to book.
Re: My First Experience - Police Brutality, Terrorism And Human Right Violation by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 08, 2020
Freethinker87:

I know how you feel sir. I feel the same way most of the time but we won't give up on our country. We will keep fighting for what's fair before God and man in our own little ways. If not for us but for the betterment of the coming generation.

Bro seems you don't get it. I didn't give up on the country: there was no country in the first place.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Nigerian Italian Senator Sponsored A Bill That Proscribed Immigrnts / Let All Southeast Politicians Move To APC Yet They Will Still Que / Mobs Kill Six Bandits In Southern Kaduna..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.