Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,158 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa (1804 Views)

"I Think You're Losing Your Brain": Galadima To Seun Okinbaloye (Video) / Buhari To Seun Okinbaloye: I Don't Know How Correct Your Calculation Is / A Short Open Letter To Governor Ifeanyi Okowa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Arcamax: 11:55pm On Oct 08, 2020
I will begin by thanking you for for this wonderful platform that has helped give Nigeria a voice. It is a very laudable achievement as Nairaland has been a source of news, entertainment and education over the years.
I have been a member of Nairaland since 2005 and I've owned a few monikers over the years.
However my reason for this letter isn't only to acknowledge your contributions to the society but also to allay some fears and reservations about some increasingly disturbing trends on Nairaland lately.

My apologies to anyone who might feel offended by the issues I'll raise but some things have to be said.
Nairaland started off well as a place where we were all proud to gather and acquire/disseminate knowledge and information but lately I'm sorry to say that Nairaland is fast going to the dogs.

Any foreigner who visits the site for the first time will have no other impression about Nigerians other than that we are deeply divided and fight like animals. It is the sad truth. This is partly owing to the type of threads that are permissible and vituperations and aspersions cast on each other by opposing tribes and ethnicities. This is part of what motivates other countries to abuse Nigerians because they sense that we are divided. I think certain ground rules can be established as the current rules on this site are mostly ineffectual and rarely implemented.

I don't see why you'll pin a thread discouraging secession on politics section front page but allow folks to hurl tribal and ethnic slurs against each other.
I don't see why free for all ethnic banters are allowed and encouraged by moving such to the front page.
Of all the social media platforms we use in Nigeria, Nairaland is the most powerful at promoting and encouraging ethnic divides and antagonism but maybe you Seun, are yet to realize that.

On twitter, everybody acts woke, on facebook, everybody is showing off what they don't actually have. On instagram, some hustle and some show off. On LIB, bellanaija etc, folks just want juicy gossip. On Nairaland, it's a jungle where free for all fights are encouraged.
The days where superior arguments and serious intellectual discourse reigned supreme on Nairaland are long gone. It has fast become the wild wild west of the African cyberspace and every form of stupidity and unruly behaviour is welcome.

If you went to an american site or Rwandan site and saw the kind of content one usually sees on Nairaland, what opinion would you form about the country?

This site is helping to promote disunity and entrenching it upon the younger generation as a huge chunk of nairaland's present membership is under 25 years. Some of these kids have a street comraderie with friends from other tribes but when they come on Nairaland, it's time to voice out all forms of vituperations against tribes to which some of their best friends belong to all because of the anonymity which the internet holds. Anonymity shouldn't be an excuse for folks to lose decency.
Serious minded folks will only watch events unfold on Nairaland when they can find the time but will not bother to comment. These serious minded folks are the ones who can actually bring investment to Nairaland not the rabble rousers.

Even facebook with billions of users still has strict enforcement of guidelines which are regularly reviewed.

I look forward to the day Nairaland will be acquired partly or wholly by the big techs, but not with the kind of content it presently promotes. Content is key. You need to ask yourself why membership enrollment has dropped drastically despite most of the membership being from individuals with multiple monikers and the site still has way less than 5million members since inception? In a nation of 200+million? Plus other nationalities on the platform?

I enjoin you to kindly revise site rules and it's enforcement to drive quality traffic to your site. I am concerned as one of the early members having taken a long break due to the content and returning to find worse content. The media is a powerful tool that shouldn't be used dangerously.

Thanks for your time as I hope to enjoy a better Nairaland in the coming days.

Yours sincerely,

Arcamax.

Ps: It would be appreciated if any of the mods can push this to the front page. Lalastic lala, I know this is not a snake thread but you can push it to the front page please.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 08, 2020
Okay
Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Nobody: 11:57pm On Oct 08, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by majamajic(m): 11:59pm On Oct 08, 2020
Hmmmmm
Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by stonemasonn: 12:21am On Oct 09, 2020
Arcamax:

This site is helping to promote disunity and entrenching it upon the younger generation as a huge chunk of nairaland's present membership is under 25 years.
Is it deliberate? Maybe you should send a petition to the ministry of information to close down nairaland.com if that'll make you happy.

4 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by wallex1983(m): 12:23am On Oct 09, 2020
I don't like short letters like this.

It's too short for my likeness.

1 Like

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Arcamax: 12:30am On Oct 09, 2020
stonemasonn:
Is it deliberate? Maybe you should send a petition to the ministry of information to close down nairaland.com if that'll make you happy.

If you read it slowly, you'll understand my position better and find tid bits of advice inferred.

11 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Rhapsodia: 12:44am On Oct 09, 2020
grin

Op.... According to you, you said when foreigners visit this site....they will have the impression that Nigeria is "deeply divided and fight like animals"

But wait Op....Is the country not deeply divided in reality??

Don't we fight like animals over unimportant issues in our polity??

We can't be divided in the actual sense...and come on nairaland and acts like all is well.... cheesy

Nairaland is not a church were u pretend like you don't hate the choirmaster for not picking you to take the solo cheesy

Those foreigners to...there have their own problems in their various nation's...there should goan sit down...

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Coder2Client(m): 12:54am On Oct 09, 2020
Well, seun is a good business man. He's less concerned about all your points listed.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by edoairways: 1:06am On Oct 09, 2020
The highlighted points are what derives traffic

5 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by xcellentgraphic: 1:21am On Oct 09, 2020
Its well ...but that tribar war u hate ..is what is making the day of some people on the site.....lol.

3 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by chamboy(m): 1:25am On Oct 09, 2020
stonemasonn:
I think Mr Osewa needs to strengthen his moderation against tribalism and false information.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by chamboy(m): 1:29am On Oct 09, 2020
Arcamax:
I will begin by thanking you for for this wonderful platform that has helped give Nigeria a voice. It is a very laudable achievement as Nairaland has been a source of news, entertainment and education over the years.
I have been a member of Nairaland since 2005 and I've owned a few monikers over the years.
However my reason for this letter isn't only to acknowledge your contributions to the society but also to allay some fears and reservations about some increasingly disturbing trends on Nairaland lately.

My apologies to anyone who might feel offended by the issues I'll raise but some things have to be said.
Nairaland started off well as a place where we were all proud to gather and acquire/disseminate knowledge and information but lately I'm sorry to say that Nairaland is fast going to the dogs.

Any foreigner who visits the site for the first time will have no other impression about Nigerians other than that we are deeply divided and fight like animals. It is the sad truth. This is partly owing to the type of threads that are permissible and vituperations and aspersions cast on each other by opposing tribes and ethnicities. This is part of what motivates other countries to abuse Nigerians because they sense that we are divided. I think certain ground rules can be established as the current rules on this site are mostly ineffectual and rarely implemented.

I don't see why you'll pin a thread discouraging secession on politics section front page but allow folks to hurl tribal and ethnic slurs against each other.
I don't see why free for all ethnic banters are allowed and encouraged by moving such to the front page.
Of all the social media platforms we use in Nigeria, Nairaland is the most powerful at promoting and encouraging ethnic divides and antagonism but maybe you Seun, are yet to realize that.

On twitter, everybody acts woke, on facebook, everybody is showing off what they don't actually have. On instagram, some hustle and some show off. On LIB, bellanaija etc, folks just want juicy gossip. On Nairaland, it's a jungle where free for all fights are encouraged.
The days where superior arguments and serious intellectual discourse reigned supreme on Nairaland are long gone. It has fast become the wild wild west of the African cyberspace and every form of stupidity and unruly behaviour is welcome.

If you went to an american site or Rwandan site and saw the kind of content one usually sees on Nairaland, what opinion would you form about the country?

This site is helping to promote disunity and entrenching it upon the younger generation as a huge chunk of nairaland's present membership is under 25 years. Some of these kids have a street comraderie with friends from other tribes but when they come on Nairaland, it's time to voice out all forms of vituperations against tribes to which some of their best friends belong to all because of the anonymity which the internet holds. Anonymity shouldn't be an excuse for folks to lose decency.
Serious minded folks will only watch events unfold on Nairaland when they can find the time but will not bother to comment. These serious minded folks are the ones who can actually bring investment to Nairaland not the rabble rousers.

Even facebook with billions of users still has strict enforcement of guidelines which are regularly reviewed.

I look forward to the day Nairaland will be acquired partly or wholly by the big techs, but not with the kind of content it presently promotes. Content is key. You need to ask yourself why membership enrollment has dropped drastically despite most of the membership being from individuals with multiple monikers and the site still has way less than 5million members since inception? In a nation of 200+million? Plus other nationalities on the platform?

I enjoin you to kindly revise site rules and it's enforcement to drive quality traffic to your site. I am concerned as one of the early members having taken a long break due to the content and returning to find worse content. The media is a powerful tool that shouldn't be used dangerously.

Yours sincerely,

Arcamax.

Ps: It would be appreciated if any of the mods can push this to the front page. Lalastic lala, I know this is not a snake thread but you can push it to the front page please.
Fortunately, and unfortunately, Nairaland got is brand from the currency note of the Oneness of United Nigeria, so I'm of the opinion that this platform should support it's brand (UNITED NIGERIA) more than anything.

3 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by bigdammyj: 1:48am On Oct 09, 2020
Noted
Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by cassidy1996(m): 2:02am On Oct 09, 2020
special adviser
Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by andyanders: 2:08am On Oct 09, 2020
Op, u're just on point. Nairaland is not what it was then when people with sound minds come up with topics that would make u feel good with current news round the globe. Many has left the forum 4 jambites or who maybe out to pass their sc. The mods are to be blamed and not Seun.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Charleys: 2:14am On Oct 09, 2020
this thread reminds me of a cartoon where Buhari throws a broom to his supporters after winning the Election and the supporters all ran away and the cartoon is captioned "change begins with you."

so after he preached change he now throws the broom and they all run away. funny cartoon.

1 Like

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Bluntguy: 2:26am On Oct 09, 2020
And you call this long epistle a short open letter? Meanwhile, this type of letter should better be addressed to Buhari because he brought this ethnic division on us and Nairaland is the only forum where there is freedom of speech and freedom after speech.

3 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by laiperi: 2:50am On Oct 09, 2020
I read some of this garbage and it is no different from the same poison you poured on another site you killed, your ultimate goal for NAIRALAND.

You have tried with every thing you can and have failed. What many people do not know is that some of this vicious people send viruses to kill a site that is doing well.

I do not know what Seun is doing but NAIRALAND has not crashed from all the missile viruses sent.

There are those of us that watch them complain and even started their own sites but never last. They rush back here and complain just to have their ways. They will do anything.

Start another site as you always do and let us see if they will survive or generate enough interest. There is no social media you guys do not go to preach hate. But you do not like those that take you on, head-on.

Tell Facebook, Google, Instagram, Tweeter, Tiktat and whatever to stop all the hate you preach and born into. But please leave NAIRALAND alone.

Go to blazes. Anofia.

2 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by TimFisher2: 3:59am On Oct 09, 2020
undecided

You said well!

I can categorically tell you that Nairaland is now the highest social media tool for destabilization

I av visited other sites, the type of ethnic bashing and tribal slurs is minimal compared to Nairaland

Thanks to good for nothing,dumb,ethnic racial champion Mods (esp one in particular that has helped pushed his one sided hatred for others with impunity)which i always look for a day i will heck off his dumb skull from his body

Well OP....don’t you think Nigeria has come to expiration

It has been destined to be destroyed very soon...i don’t have any love and patriotism in me again

Just get prepared and battle ready as they have promoted War to be inevitable Peace will not be!

4 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by MrColdsweat: 5:06am On Oct 09, 2020
chamboy:
I think Mr Osewa needs to strengthen his moderation against tribalism and false information.
Seun has his limits. He leased nairaland to this satanic government since 2015.
Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by chamboy(m): 5:21am On Oct 09, 2020
First of all, I reckon Seun and the moderators should sound out a big warning to all bigot -be it Political, Tribal or Religion. The level of Rhetoric for critics should've limit. In my very best of act, I would block all hateful speech directed at president, tribes, sect, religion and ban the perpetrator respectively.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by chamboy(m): 5:23am On Oct 09, 2020
MrColdsweat:
Seun has his limits. He leased nairaland to this satanic government since 2015.
You should mind your words, big man. It's ok to have issues with the government but it's rather unpleasant to direct derogatory words at the government. You can be an occupier of that seat tomorrow.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by MrColdsweat: 5:31am On Oct 09, 2020
chamboy:
You should mind your words, big man. It's ok to have issues with the government but it's rather unpleasant to direct derogatory words at the government. You can be an occupier of that seat tomorrow.

There is nothing derogatory about what I said. A government that has turned its citizens to slaves and beggars is satanic. I don't know how to paint words.

2 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by orisa37: 5:48am On Oct 09, 2020
NAIRALAND IS GOOD VERY GOOD.

IT'S A GOOD HIGHER ANIMAL LAND.

BUT THERE SHOULD BE BRANCHES, SUCH AS

ODUDUWA LAND

IGBO LAND AND

FULANI LAND AND MUCH LATER

SEUN LAND.
Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by ThatFairGuy1: 5:54am On Oct 09, 2020
Well, moderators encourages it by their one-sidedness.

If he's not ready to tame them, let's continue like that.

1 Like

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by Yobabad: 6:09am On Oct 09, 2020
OP you have done well, but unfortunately the tribalism you see on nairaland is like that in every other social media platform, go to Twitter is like that, even on Sahara reporters face book page you will see more, Nigeria has been divided already is only pronunciment that is reminig. Don't forget that Yoruba Muslims started tribalism on this forum

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by majamajic(m): 6:35am On Oct 09, 2020
Op , u are writing all this , cos it's a tinubu week ?

Pls allow us finish this tinubu week in peace , I take God beg u

We warned u guys !

2 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by SavageMaster: 6:45am On Oct 09, 2020
Arcamax:

Yours sincerely,

Arcamax.

I hope Seun takes action. He's making his money and that's all he cares about. I've even seen questionable ads approved and running on Naira land

Modified: Op, this thread will never hit front page. How can the Mods push a topic criticizing their paymaster to front page? The average Nigerian boss won't tolerate that.

1 Like

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by seanwilliam(m): 6:59am On Oct 09, 2020
Rhapsodia:
grin

Op.... According to you, you said when foreigners visit this site....they will have the impression that Nigeria is "deeply divided and fight like animals"

But wait Op....Is the country not deeply divided in reality??

Don't we fight like animals over unimportant issues in our polity??

We can't be divided in the actual sense...and come on nairaland and acts like all is well.... cheesy

Nairaland is not a church were u pretend like you don't hate the choirmaster for not picking you to take the solo cheesy

Those foreigners to...there have their own problems in their various nation's...there should goan sit down...
I owe u a bottle of orijin bro

2 Likes

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by helinues: 6:59am On Oct 09, 2020
Seun is actually behaving like an Ijebu man.

What NL needs is more effective mods... You can't be making money from something and yet have no urge of improving your service.

Nuisances have taken over the forum most especially the notorious canceller who has been making his living on NL for years yet both Seun and his mods can't stop him..

The guy is the one behind any bet scam, porn links and majority of the scam happening on NL hence using cancellation of people's comments as an excuse..

May be some mods are accomplice with the guy ... I don't know

These days, who get energy to waste on trollers/ethnic jingoistic... No be to be reading as a visitor without commenting ...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Open Letter To Seun Osewa by omenka(m): 7:05am On Oct 09, 2020
Nairaland isn't "fast going to the dogs", it has been devoured my the dogs and there's nothing left of it.

We've been making this calls for years but Sèun in his characteristic aloofness, has decided to do nothing about it. I guess he's thinking in due time, these virmins will get tired and quit their acts, not knowing they're just warming up. I suppose he believes their activities bring more traffic, hence, more money to his pocket. I wonder if he ever wonders why very big brands don't advertise here.

It is a damn shame.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

#EndSARS: Dj Switch Fears For Her Safety In An Exclusive Interview With Isha / The Flagging Off Of Hon. Emeka Chinedu Constituency Mobile Clinics In Imo State. / Photos Of Bridge Built By Desmond Elliott Vs One Built By Female Councillor Tren

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.