Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,048 members, 7,821,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Police Phone Scam - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Phone Scam (341 Views)

Hong Kong Woman, 90, Conned Out Of $32m In Phone Scam / Beware Of This New Phone Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Phone Scam by mekaboy(m): 11:03am On Oct 09, 2020
I read a story about a lady who was arrested for buying a used phone on this https://www.nairaland.com/6169282/how-nigerians-scamming-nigerians-used thread. I decided to shed more light from my experience.

This is the major revenue generating business for the Nigerian police. They make millions weekly using this format.

They go to crowded events and drop phones. They will wait till the phone has a new sim in it and then come to arrest the owner. My own experience.

My gateman who has worked for us for over 3 years, very trust worthy. One day went to a brithday celrbration with friends because he is off duty on sunday till 6 pm. At the end of the event he picked the phone from a chair. Waited for 3 weeks for someone to call and claim the phone, but nobody called. He put sim in the phone and began to use it.

A week later policemen came to arrest him and said he was involved in Armed robbery. When i asked the officers that came, they said someone house was robbed and his belongings were taken. The phone was part of what was stolen.

When i came to the station the guy handling the case said the phone belonged to a guy who was robbed at gun point and valueables collected. That is when i began to suspect that this was a scam. The two stories did not match.

I now asked what the solution was, they told me the total items collected from the phone owner was valued at about 1million, so the negotiation should be what i can pay from the 1 million items stolen.

While i was there, 4 other people were brought for the same phone scam arrest. Then i realized this was a business the police was fully into.

I told the officer that this guy is not a criminal and will never be part of any armed robbery of any sort. However the guy is from the north and has no relatives. If they want to keep him here for the next 6 months, nobody will come for him except me. And i am not ready to pay any part of 1 million from any alleged robbery.

He slept there and i came the next day. The officers seeing that their trap did not catch a reasonable person said i should pay 25k for tracking and 25k for bail. I paid 50k and they released him and the whole bullshit story of the robbery died off.

Now imagine this trap caught someone from the average family in Nigeria. The parents will be negotiation from 1 million to any millions they claim was stolen. They said the value of what was stolen was 1 million because he was a gateman. Imagine the amount they would call for other people.

Assuming the 4 people that were brought that same day paid 50k each, thats 200k plus mine will be 250k.

I am sure others will pay more than 50k because their parents came and were panicking when they heard about the robbery. But the way i spoke to the police officer, he knew that i was aware of the scam. And decided to collect 50k.

So when they recover all the phones, they go out to plant them again. In a month, they will be making over 3 million naira from people. So share and let Nigerians know the new industry the police is using to generate revenue.

1 Like

Re: Police Phone Scam by Kamdil: 11:09am On Oct 09, 2020
The evil that men do,lives after them. They can make the money but won't make prosperity. Those guys are criminals worst than Aninih
Re: Police Phone Scam by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 09, 2020
This is madness. God in heaven.
First time I'm hearing this and I'm numb with shock and horror. This Police SARS wickedness is too extreme for gods sake.
Re: Police Phone Scam by juniorstar(m): 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2020
Re: Police Phone Scam by mekaboy(m): 6:33pm On Oct 09, 2020
Alot of people are falling into this trap daily.
Re: Police Phone Scam by joyandfaith: 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2020
mekaboy:
I read a story about a lady who was arrested for buying a used phone on this https://www.nairaland.com/6169282/how-nigerians-scamming-nigerians-used thread. I decided to shed more light from my experience.

This is the major revenue generating business for the Nigerian police. They make millions weekly using this format.

They go to crowded events and drop phones. They will wait till the phone has a new sim in it and then come to arrest the owner. My own experience.

My gateman who has worked for us for over 3 years, very trust worthy. One day went to a brithday celrbration with friends because he is off duty on sunday till 6 pm. At the end of the event he picked the phone from a chair. Waited for 3 weeks for someone to call and claim the phone, but nobody called. He put sim in the phone and began to use it.

A week later policemen came to arrest him and said he was involved in Armed robbery. When i asked the officers that came, they said someone house was robbed and his belongings were taken. The phone was part of what was stolen.

When i came to the station the guy handling the case said the phone belonged to a guy who was robbed at gun point and valueables collected. That is when i began to suspect that this was a scam. The two stories did not match.

I now asked what the solution was, they told me the total items collected from the phone owner was valued at about 1million, so the negotiation should be what i can pay from the 1 million items stolen.

While i was there, 4 other people were brought for the same phone scam arrest. Then i realized this was a business the police was fully into.

I told the officer that this guy is not a criminal and will never be part of any armed robbery of any sort. However the guy is from the north and has no relatives. If they want to keep him here for the next 6 months, nobody will come for him except me. And i am not ready to pay any part of 1 million from any alleged robbery.

He slept there and i came the next day. The officers seeing that their trap did not catch a reasonable person said i should pay 25k for tracking and 25k for bail. I paid 50k and they released him and the whole bullshit story of the robbery died off.

Now imagine this trap caught someone from the average family in Nigeria. The parents will be negotiation from 1 million to any millions they claim was stolen. They said the value of what was stolen was 1 million because he was a gateman. Imagine the amount they would call for other people.

Assuming the 4 people that were brought that same day paid 50k each, thats 200k plus mine will be 250k.

I am sure others will pay more than 50k because their parents came and were panicking when they heard about the robbery. But the way i spoke to the police officer, he knew that i was aware of the scam. And decided to collect 50k.

So when they recover all the phones, they go out to plant them again. In a month, they will be making over 3 million naira from people. So share and let Nigerians know the new industry the police is using to generate revenue.

why did he put his sim in phone that was not his own?
yes, police are criminals but people should be very careful. police capitalises on people's mistake.
Re: Police Phone Scam by lograr(m): 8:50pm On Oct 09, 2020
lalasticlala come and see oo. Naija police don tire me angry

(1) (Reply)

#end Sars Protesters Vs Hasa Thugs:live In Jo's / Watch As These Youths Protect Police Station In Their Area In Ibadan Against Hoo / American Jailed For Attempt To Overthrow Vietnam Government Says He Was ‘kidnapp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.