Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

How I Was Attacked By Cultists In My Village – Fr. Ebube Muonso - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Was Attacked By Cultists In My Village – Fr. Ebube Muonso (241 Views)

Student Shot Dead By Cultists In Front Of School Gate In Owerri. Graphic Photo / Youth Corper Butchered By Cultists In Bayelsa State (Disturbing Photos) / 2 Brothers Beheaded By Cultists In Rivers State Buried Side By Side.Graphic Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Attacked By Cultists In My Village – Fr. Ebube Muonso by kenechukwujeo50: 2:01pm On Oct 20, 2020
From Nwagbo Kenechukwu, Nnewi

The founder and Spiritual Director of the Holy Ghost Adoration Ministry, Uke, Idemili North local government area of Anambra state, Rev. Fr. Emmanuel Obimma, popularly called Fr. Ebube Muonso, has been a target of many attacks by alleged hired killers and suspected cultists. In this interview, the notable Catholic priest of the Onitsha Archdiocese, narrates how he narrowly escaped death in the hands of a cult group in his hometown, Nkwelle Ezunaka, in Oyi local government area of the state, who wanted him dead because of a sermon he preached in the church.

Recount your ordeal in the hands of a suspected cult group that attacked you recently in your community, Nkwelle Ezunaka.

The incident took place on June 12, 2020, in my community, Nkwelle-Ezunaka. I went for a burial at my community. The funeral started with a Holy Mass or church service at St. William’s Catholic Church in the community. In the course of my homily during the mass, I vehemently preached against cultism and cult groups, terrorism and hooliganism, which was common among young men in the community. Our youths are used to forming cult groups, which they use as weapon to intimidate people and unleash terror on innocent residents of my community. In my community, people, including the elders and the elites, sleep with their two eyes opened, because of cultists. Many elderly men and women in the community have been rough-handled, beaten and flogged by those hooligans.

So, during my preaching, I condemned their evil activities, and cautioned them. When I was preaching, the congregation was very happy, saying that they knew only Fr. Ebube Muonso could have the guts to speak out against the evil perpetrated by the cult groups; because, people live in fear in that village.

So, after the burial service, people were coming to me for blessing, including my mother, and I was laying hands on them. In the course of doing that, my mother invited me for a discussion at home. As I was discussing with her, my brother’s wife called my attention that some bad boys, popularly known as Searchlight, were outside the gate, chanting their war songs and saying that they would humiliate Fr. Ebube Muonso. I thought it was an empty threat. So, on my way going, they invaded me with dangerous weapons. They threw stones on me, smashing and damaging my vehicle. In the course of doing that, I had to put a call across, and, eventually, a combined team of police and army arrived and rescued me. Even when the soldiers arrived, the bad boys were still brandishing their weapons, and the soldiers threatened to shoot them; but I pleaded with them not shoot.

Ever since I was born, I’ve never been so attacked anywhere; not to talk of being attacked by my own people. I have been hearing of their nefarious activities in that community; but I was unmoving, because, I am a very busy person.

Eventually, after that incident, I wrote a petition against them. Eleven of them were arrested by police. They were tried in the court of law, and eventually remanded as a corrective measure to deter them and others from such act.

As if that was not enough, their sponsors and allies, who escaped arrest, started blackmailing me; peddling all sorts of falsehood against me on the social media. In their posts on the social media, they claimed that their reason attacking me was because I collected their lands; about 200 plots in Nkwelle-Ezunaka; whereas in reality, I do not have one plot of land in that village. The townspeople know the truth. They attacked me because I preached against cultism and their bad activities in the community.

Could you point out some of the nefarious activities of the Searchlight cult group?

Their nefarious activities are many. A lot of young girls have been raped. Parents, who send their daughters on errands in the community, get shocked when their girls return with the complaint that they were raped by Searchlight boys. They equally torture and flog elderly people, who kick against their activities. Story was told of a woman, who was going out one evening with his son for an errand. Unfortunately for her, the cult boys harassed her, beat her up and stripped her before her son; claiming that she looked at them. Whenever people have cases in the village, they would pay these bad boys to fight for them. In fact, for an average person in Nkwelle-Ezunaka, it would be better for a person to be taken to the police and charged to court than for one to fall into the hands of these boys. They had suppressed and inflicted injuries in many people. Imagine small boys flogging elderly people in the village. They engage in broad day robbery, and all forms of criminality. They would claim omnipotence and untouchable. People, I must tell you, are afraid of them. They constituted themselves as both police and the court of law; such that when you report a case to them against another person, they would go for war on your behalf. They will arrest, try, convict and punish their victims; after which the alleged offender will be made to cough out huge sum of money.

Has any family member or ally of those arrested approached or pacified you?

Yes, people have been coming to plead on their behalf, to the extent that I was moved to visit them when they were still in police custody. The day I visited them, my cook prepared good dish and we bought drinks. When we got to the station, they were brought out. After eating and drinking, I asked them, ‘my brothers, what did I do that you attacked me and wanted to take my life?’ They told me they acted under the influence of hard drugs. I then told my lawyer to halt any court process, and I also told him to start the process of securing their release. We were still in the process when, surprisingly, their parents, sponsors and allies started blackmailing me. They took to the social media, telling the world that they attacked me because I am a land grabber. They claimed that they were unjustly accused and remanded; adding that they attacked me because I took their lands; a claim they made to attract sympathy and to cover their iniquities. Indigenes of Nkwelle Ezunaka know that what they said were fallacies.

You are known to assist youths and the less privileged. Have you extended such gesture to youths in Nkwelle-Ezunaka?

I have empowered a good number of them. I’ve sent a good number of them abroad in order to improve their lives. I offered scholarships to the siblings and children of these people, who are after my life. Ebuka Obiozo, one of the cult boys that attacked me, was among the people I strived to lift out of poverty. I gave him money several times. It was because of him that I invited footballers like Emenike and Kanu Nwankwo to take him up in order to enhance his football career. I am yet to understand the core reason for the attack launched against me. I was made to understand that they were acting out the script of their sponsors. I believe they are doing this to intimidate me as they intimidate others; but Fr. Ebube Muonso cannot be intimidated!

How would you want government, the church, the family and wider society to nip cultism in the bud?

I advocate zero tolerance for cultism. The cult boys are into blood covenant. This is why they are so wicked and mean whenever they are handling people. Cultism should be given zero tolerance. Let the government empower the anti cult groups. Let personnel be recruited into the anti-cult unit of the police force so that cultism will be tackled.

How would the church and the family go into partnership to fight moral decadence among youths?

The church is doing a lot of work when it comes to youth reformations. This is why there are catechetic; that’s why there are services and formations in virtually all the churches. But you know, the church can only conscientise the youth to be of good behaviour; but when it comes to criminal matters, the security agencies will take over. But sometimes, when you are making efforts to correct somebody, you will find out that such person has become reprobate. At that stage, you use corrective measures, such as imprisonment, to call him back.

Have you forgiven your attackers?

I hold no malice against them. The reason they are still in the correctional facility is to discipline them; so that when they come out, they will become better and more responsible members of the society. They need to be tamed, so that they will understand that hooliganism is bad. I do not pray that they stay long in prison. My main aim is to tell them that what they did was wrong.

Anambra election is very close and many politicians are already seeking your blessings. What kind of person would you want as Obiano’s successor?

A person to succeed Obiano as governor shall be a seasoned gentleman. The person shall be a God-fearing man; a man, who must be ready to discharge the duties of his office conscientiously. He shall be the person who has the poor masses at heart. He shall be selfless, and must be ready to go extra miles to put smiles in the faces of Anambra people. I will commend Governor Willie Obiano for doing his bit, according to his ability and capacity. We pray that the person who succeeds Obiano will do more. Anambra is in dire need of a good governor, who is selfless; person who will not think of his pocket; but will listen to the heartbeats of the people.

You give yourself a lot of task. How do you relax?

The joy of the Lord is my strength. I am always happy doing the work of God. May people do call me, urging me to create time for relaxation and rest. But I must tell you, I am already used to the system, and my system has become acclimatized to my job. So, labour doesn’t disturb me at all. It will also interest you to know that I have the gift of night strength. I work at night and sleep a little; yet, I feel energised doing the work of God. As St. Paul would say, ‘Even when my outward self is perishing, inwardly, I feel refreshed.’

Re: How I Was Attacked By Cultists In My Village – Fr. Ebube Muonso by Ifesinachi22(m): 2:02pm On Oct 20, 2020
Zebra marry Zebra, Leopard marry Leopard

Strip for strip.

Spot for spot.
Re: How I Was Attacked By Cultists In My Village – Fr. Ebube Muonso by Madibah(m): 2:07pm On Oct 20, 2020
The man resemble kolo toure seff
Re: How I Was Attacked By Cultists In My Village – Fr. Ebube Muonso by athaboi(f): 2:13pm On Oct 20, 2020
Cultist?

(1) (Reply)

Jail At Ikoyi Prisons In Lagos..(are We Safe)? / Six Policemen, Four Civilians Killed In Lagos Violence / Endsars: Two Lawyers Sue Lagos Govt, Ask Court To Disband Judicial Panel Of Inqu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.