Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,551 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! (156 Views)

Property Lawyers Pls Help / Seeking Advice On Dream Home / Seeking Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! by MarshFan: 5:10pm On Oct 10, 2020
How can I sell a piece of land without regular documents in Lagos, Nigeria?

My Dad died in 2018, leaving a plot of land close to a prime part of Lagos, and I am his first living son. I have been outside Nigeria until my Dad died. I had to come back home for the burial and because of his land.

I have a junior sister who lives in Australia, and we have agreed to sell the land.

The only document I have been able to lay hold of is a survey plan, which I have been strongly reliably told was not registered at the Lagos Land registry. I am aware that my dad left no will and my uncle, who he stayed with until he died, confirmed this.

Now, another of my uncles, a lawyer on the maternal side told me that I would need a Letter of Administration (LOA) among other things, to be able to sell that land, so I entrusted the process of getting that LOA to his firm, without officially informing him in writing that he should act in that capacity. They started the process of getting the LOA, but they seem to be stalling getting the document to my sister abroad for her signatures. Whether it is my uncle and his firm to blame, or my sister is only deceiving me that she wants the land sold, I don't know which is which. All I know is that right now, the process of getting the LOA back to me may take forever. To be honest, I need the money from the sale more than my sister does, and my uncle does not desperately need the legal fees. I am the one in the most dire financial situation.

I was told by another of my uncles that the lawyer may be behaving this way because he has something against me. I have noticed that he never does anything for me that will actually improve my circumstances.

I come from a part of Nigeria in which the first son is said to inherit all the Dad's property. However, I observe that my uncles are more particular about protecting my sister's interest than mine. I have never insisted I want the larger share, but my sister seems to think she deserves the larger share!

The Lawyer's number is on the gate of the property. Recently someone wrote an offer letter to buy the land, but my uncle has been so lackadaisical about it. He also seems to intend to be the one to receive the money from whatever sale is made!

He has previously pretended not to be aware we had decided to sell the land and has also been questioning my ability to wisely manage my share of the money from the sale whenever I get it

My questions are thus.

1. Can I immediately write my lawyer uncle an official letter letting him know I no longer want him to handle either the LOA matter or the sale of the land? How effective will such a letter be? Or should I first officially appoint another firm to process a new LOA and then use their letterhead to inform my uncle's firm of my decision??

2. He informed me that LOAs cost money, But that we can get a buyer to part pay for the land (from which the LOA fee will be paid) and pay the balance when the LOA is ready. My issue is, with only an unregistered survey in my possession, can I even get someone to part pay for that land until the LOA is ready?
Re: Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! by FreeConCiencE: 5:16pm On Oct 10, 2020
I will get back to you
Re: Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! by MarshFan: 5:17pm On Oct 10, 2020
Answers needed o!
Re: Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! by twinskenny(m): 5:20pm On Oct 10, 2020
cc lawyer
Re: Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! by MarshFan: 7:11pm On Oct 10, 2020
??
Re: Seeking Advice From Lawyers Pls! by MarshFan: 6:37pm On Oct 11, 2020
If na Dangote, Una go respond o!

(1) (Reply)

New Estate Sorrounded By Beautiful Neighbourhood / Trust Real Estate Consultant - Chat Today / Spring Haven Estate Ibeju Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.